• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
Take "DCEU" out of the title, consider this label burnt, like the "Dark Universe" one...

This is DCEU (and today is the release date of "Justice League part 2") :

24Y7mmk.jpg

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Removing "DCEU" won't remove whatever you want to get away from. These stretch of films will always have a connection to Snyder.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I compare people who constantly shout DC is a mess and a failure and they should scrap the whole thing to people shouting about her emails still. There's no changing their mind, just ignore them.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
WW84 test screening tonight I'm ready for the leaks, rumours, and bad press that is always associated with a dc film. I just want SOMETHING.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Removing "DCEU" won't remove whatever you want to get away from. These stretch of films will always have a connection to Snyder.
Not Matt Reeves Batman. Or the Joker film, regardless how edgy it is. What I see as "DCEU" is MoS, BvS, WW, JL and AM, with Shazam! being debatable. The name is a fan thing, but I don't see how Matt Reeves Batman would have a connection with Zack Snyder at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Not Matt Reeves Batman. Or the Joker film, regardless how edgy it is. What I see as "DCEU" is MoS, BvS, WW, JL and AM, with Shazam! being debatable. The name is a fan thing, but I don't see how Matt Reeves Batman would have a connection with Zack Snyder at all.

Especially if the murmurs that Reeves is outright rebooting Batman altogether are true. That's going to be a big palette cleanser, I think.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Especially if the murmurs that Reeves is outright rebooting Batman altogether are true. That's going to be a big palette cleanser, I think.
It simply makes sense. Why to make a prequel for a failed attempt of Batman? I know that Batfleck has fans, and this is coming from someone that actually enjoyed Garfield's Spider-Man, but it'd be like expecting Tom Holland would play a prequel to TASM. It's not happening.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
He didn't mean the movie itself. We know a lot of these are going to ignore DCEU. He meant the resetera type crowd that will forever link this current and upcoming slate of movies to Snyder and the DCEU, regardless of story.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll just retcon the three Snyder movies, I mean they're gonna need a Batman for their universe. It would be stupid and weird to have a WW, Aquaman and Shazam Batman and then a Matt Reeves Batman.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll just retcon the three Snyder movies, I mean they're gonna need a Batman for their universe. It would be stupid and weird to have a WW, Aquaman and Shazam Batman and then a Matt Reeves Batman.
Batman has a horrible accident and needs reconstructive surgery or falls in a Lazarus Pit and comes out younger.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
One thing that I try to keep in mind too is that this current era of superhero movies has been going on so long that some people have literally grown up with these movies. I think a lot of the younger folk have just had certain narratives about these movies ingrained at this point. It's like how Nintendo became the "kiddie" system or how people grow up loving or hating a certain sports team. Even if that's the person's honest feelings, the fact that they've heard it for so long makes kind of hard not to look at things through that lens.

As for the 30+ crowd acting like this? I think similarly, it's just that we've been saying certain things for so long. Superhero movies are the dominate pop culture force at the cinema, but very little conversation on the topic is about the movies themselves. Even the MCU gets short changed in this way. People talk all the time about box office and Marvel's dominance and whatever, but how many of Marvel's 20 some odd movies have come out, been consumed by the public, then almost immediately forgotten about until the next big event movie? I'd say most. The MCU as a concept and its effect on Hollywood are the things people want to talk about. No one wants to have an in depth conversation about Ant-Man and the Wasp.

On the flip, you have the DCEU. As a concept, that shit has been put through the fucking wringer, and at this point, there's so much misinformation and ingrained narratives that WB is going to have a hell of a time getting people to move beyond the idea of it being a "mess." Especially when their successes like Shazam! (critical), Aquaman (financial), and Wonder Woman (both) get swept under the rug in favor of "BvS argument #230274" or "Flashpoint begging thread #6832." Not to mention that with them being in the middle of a course correction, it's going to take a few years for them to even show off the fruits of what they're doing to the point that people get a solid idea of their concept for this universe now.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's meme culture. People want to fit in and get internet cred. Imagine if this forum had upvotes/likes.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I have to wonder if Shazam would be more known on Era if it had been bad.
I don't think anyone on Era hates Shazam!. I love Shazam!, it's a good film, but released in the wrong date. It was talked a lot, not as much as Endgame or Captain Marvel because simply wasn't as big, but it's not like people hate the film. It's good fun and the best DC film since Wonder Woman, but the audiences can't be blamed by WB odd decisions of release dates. Shazam! Is an Winter / Christmas kinda of film; maybe if it was released closer to the end of the year, it would have fared better.

People don't bring it up as much simply because it's a pretty self contained story without really much of social commentary going on, but with an excellent message. Not sure what more you'd want people to comment on it.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone on Era hates Shazam!. I love Shazam!, it's a good film, but released in the wrong date. It was talked a lot, not as much as Endgame or Captain Marvel because simply wasn't as big, but it's not like people hate the film. It's good fun and the best DC film since Wonder Woman, but the audiences can't be blamed by WB odd decisions of release dates. Shazam! Is an Winter / Christmas kinda of film; maybe if it was released closer to the end of the year, it would have fared better.

People don't bring it up as much simply because it's a pretty self contained story without really much of social commentary going on, but with an excellent message. Not sure what more you'd want people to comment on it.
I think Aquaman and Shazam represent an upward curve in quality. We should expect the next films to be as good if not better... If more people saw the film, I think they'd agree.

You're right about the timing. I was optimistic about the BO earnings but the reasons you mentioned prevented it from reaching it's ceiling. I wish I could say they didn't advertise enough but I constantly saw ads everywhere. Idk.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

That's not was I was saying. I'm not saying people thought it was bad. I'm saying that people like to continually talk about how bad the DCEU and DC in general. So if Shazam was bad, people here would talk about it more, because it supports their idea of DC. Exibit A,Titans, quick to hate it but then oh wait it's not bad? Silence.

Last edited:

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
That's not was I was saying. I'm not saying people thought it was bad. I'm saying that people like to continually talk about how bad the DCEU and DC in general. So if Shazam was bad, people here would talk about it more, because it supports their idea of DC. Exibit A,Titans, quick to hate it be then oh wait it's not bad? Silence.
Pretty much. We know how ERA's bread is buttered.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I think Aquaman and Shazam represent an upward curve in quality. We should expect the next films to be as good if not better... If more people saw the film, I think they'd agree.

You're right about the timing. I was optimistic about the BO earnings but the reasons you mentioned prevented it from reaching it's ceiling. I wish I could say they didn't advertise enough but I constantly saw ads everywhere. Idk.
WB is having a rough year, it looks like. They're making the right moves, but the movies just aren't connecting. Shazam, Detective Pikachu, and Godzilla all performed under what one would have initially thought.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Next movies are the kitchen, it, and joker i think. Don't think the kitchen will make much, but i believe/hope they budgeted for that, and we'll have a shazam situation at worse.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The Kitchen def feels like a much smaller film. I doubt we're looking at even a Shazam level budget. It: Part 2 and Joker are the next big horses.

Last edited:

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Joker's "script" leaking and that having mixed reception. Although on ERA, it was one sided and you can guess easily which side.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Didn't Joker get a mixed reception at its screenings?

Guy I know liked it.

I remember Joker's "script" leaking and that having mixed reception. Although on ERA, it was one sided and you can guess easily which side.

No, the real script did leak. But on Era they kept believing a FAKE 4Chan plot "leak" that had nothing to do with the real script. I kept trying to tell them it was bogus, but they wanted to believe the fake 4Chan leak instead because it fed their narrative.

Oh and:
giphy.gif

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Guy I know liked it.

No, the real script did leak. But on Era they kept believing a FAKE 4Chan plot "leak" that had nothing to do with the real script. I kept trying to tell them it was bogus, but they wanted to believe the fake 4Chan leak instead because it fed their narrative.

Oh and:
giphy.gif

So Joker and WW84 could be good? Don't give me hope :(

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna assume that means there is a theatre shootout in the movie .

On a less dark note, Batman VS TMNJ is up on my local cables VOD service, is it worth a watch ?

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I think WW84 will obviously be the better of the two. Joker won't be for everyone (it's very hard R) and there's something in Joker that could explode into a big controversy based on the history of the Batman franchise and real-world events surrounding it.

Interesting. I hope it'll at least somewhat live up to the teaser trailer :)

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Guy I know liked it.

Oh and:
giphy.gif

Ah gotcha. It's hard to keep up what's factual with these leaks. And I'm taking the screen test got good reception? Yay!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I think WW84 will obviously be the better of the two. Joker won't be for everyone (it's very hard R) and there's something in Joker that could explode into a big controversy based on the history of the Batman franchise and real-world events surrounding it.
I read somewhere it ends with Joker

subscribing to JonTron

That's really going to cause a fit here

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I hope we hear casting news soon on the villains for batman

DC is always outside the box so I have mo idea what to expect their will be some out of left field choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.