• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Seems obvious now that WB wants to follow the Marvel formula and make all their first solo movies safe and familiar affairs to get audiences on board. Honestly, it's kind of what they should've done anyway to start this whole thing off. After the audience settles in, that's when you can subvert their expectations and go BvS on them. People want to see the characters on screen as they've pictured them in their minds growing up. Superman the big blue boy scout, Flash the fun one, Batman the broody one that doesn't kill, Wonder Woman the compassionate one, etc. After you give them those movies you can go anywhere because the audience will trust you and your vision (as long as those solo movies perform like WW and Aquaman did).

EDIT - I should clarify that this should've been applied only if they felt like they wanted to really give the big extended universe 10+ year 20+ movie in mind. MoS, BvS, JL1 and 2 self contained would've been fine as is if they hadn't interfered.
Ehhh I don't know, I don't think Aquabro is how most people envisioned Aquaman but that worked out fine lol.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Ehhh I don't know, I don't think Aquabro is how most people envisioned Aquaman but that worked out fine lol.
Aquaman is a weird case. The average person either had no real idea of what he should be, or got most of their knowledge from parodies and jokes that made fun of him. They obviously weren't going to treat the character like a joke, but they couldn't exactly make him the "Heavy is the head" sadsack he often is in the comic. Seems like, whether they talked about it or not, both Synder and Wan agreed that Arthur would be best suited to being a swashbuckling meathead. Kind of like a PG13 version of his Brave and the Bold self, only played a little straighter.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
D-vT0TxXYAAeP-m.png

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
God I hope Joker is great.

Feels like there's already a section of people wanting it to be a bad film even with the great trailer.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Joker will either be a really good movie or end up being Snyder tier bad critically. Don't see it having a middle ground, I just hope that feigu keeps his fists away from it but those checks have probably already been signed and sent out.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it'll be a good movie on a technical level, but it's gonna attract a lot of controversy and that's gonna hurt the review score imo.

Those covers are great though.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope Joker is great.

Feels like there's already a section of people wanting it to be a bad film even with the great trailer.

myopic cornballs who think comic book movies should only be in ONE SINGLE BOX

i got my doubts about Todd Phillips pulling off a good movie here but regardless super excited to see Joaquin's performance in this

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one two punch of endgame and Far From Home really shows how much Snyder and WB screwed up rushing to get Avengers money. They tried to take short cuts to make the DCEU feel like it has more history than it actually does.

It's interesting to compare the reaction of BvS/Justice League when it pertainss to Superman's death versus that of Tony Starks.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
The one two punch of endgame and Far From Home really shows how much Snyder and WB screwed up rushing to get Avengers money. They tried to take short cuts to make the DCEU feel like it has more history than it actually does.

It's interesting to compare the reaction of BvS/Justice League when it pertainss to Superman's death versus that of Tony Starks.
If Marvel so much why don't you go marry them?

Last edited:

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing else remotely compares.

I don't think it's odd for a DC fan to look and want the DCEU to have success too.

I think he was joking..

But I do agree with Shinji. DC should have cut Snyder out immediately after BvS. All DC needed to do was follow the old DCAU formula as they have everything down then but they didn't. Now they cant even get a Flash movie off the ground.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
You will always be sad if you can only be happy if the size of your yard is bigger or equal than your neighbor. Peeps too insecure.
Nothing to be insecure about. WB stays making weird choices. It's gotten better, but all the stuff they're doing now should have been done from the start.

MOS was a good movie to start out with. Everything after is a mix of rush jobs, Frankensteins, and juggling talent.

People don't want what the MCU has, they want the success. That level of success has to be earned and it's taken the studio a long damn time to realize that.

I think he was joking..

But I do agree with Shinji. DC should have cut Snyder out immediately after BvS. All DC needed to do was follow the old DCAU formula as they have everything down then but they didn't. Now they cant even get a Flash movie off the ground.
I agree as well. Things like this need more cohesion.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

Maybe it's just me but I thought his death was so predictable that I felt absolutely nothing when Tony died. Felt the same about superman.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Though for me in general MCU just doesn't do it. There's films I really like in the MCU but as a whole I dunno. It all feels so, mechanical?

It gives me the same feeling that a lot of modern AAA gaming does. Just all so samey and feeling like it was made by committee and all the edges grounded off for the purpose of making easily digestible product.

But, I accept I'm an outlier in that regard. The box office dont lie. Seems like these days that's the only thing people want. Easily digestible safe feel good escapism to distract them from their real lives. Disney is tailor made for this age. Sadly they are by far my least favorite studio in the movie industry. I just cant get with their output. It all just feels so corporate.

The idea of DC just being Marvel light is just blah. But I trust Hamada to at least throw in some curveballs.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've come to really appreciate the MCU since DC and Warners imploded. I figured it had to be easy to crank out a lot of films that are just OK and some gems sprinkled throughout, but clearly it isn't easy.

These days I'm just looking forward to The Batman. The rest I can leave if I'm being honest. The ball has been fumbled so much that I lost interest and the half assed reboot of the universe doesn't help matters.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Though for me in general MCU just doesn't do it. There's films I really like in the MCU but as a whole I dunno. It all feels so, mechanical?

It gives me the same feeling that a lot of modern AAA gaming does. Just all so samey and feeling like it was made by committee and all the edges grounded off for the purpose of making easily digestible product.

But, I accept I'm an outlier in that regard. The box office dont lie. Seems like these days that's the only thing people want. Easily digestible safe feel good escapism to distract them from their real lives. Disney is tailor made for this age. Sadly they are by far my least favorite studio in the movie industry. I just cant get with their output. It all just feels so corporate.

The idea of DC just being Marvel light is just blah. But I trust Hamada to at least throw in some curveballs.
And just to be clear, I don't want the type of movies the MCU puts out. Just the success. More people watching equals more sequels and chances taken on flicks like BoP.

What I like about what Marvel is doing is they aren't remixing the superheroes... they provided stories about their vanilla, original heroes. The stories are dumbed down/remixed and so are the villains. But the superheroes are very true to the nature and tone of their comic counterparts (albeit with extra snark and quppiness added).

WB has a phobia of straight up adapting the characters we grew up with. They've had a hard on for remixing everything. Just look at all the stuff that's almost been greenlit by them. None of it is just a straight up adaptation of DC characters.

jrush64 is right, using the DCAU as a template, I think WB would have had more success. But again, that takes planning and cohesion and execs who aren't super reactionary.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I thought his death was so predictable that I felt absolutely nothing when Tony died. Felt the same about superman.

It was telegraphed but your in the minority when it comes to the reaction. My girlfriend is casual fan (has seen most of the movies , a big fan but doesn't talk about them on the internet or keep up with casting or trailers until they show up in theatres or YouTube). Hell shes talks about how Tony is her least favorite Avenger but his arc in the past 4 films had her bawling at the end of endgame and during moments of Far From home.

DC has always been the lighter universe overall despite having books and stories that have been dark or violent. The whole DC is so dark and edgy only became a thing in recent years thanks in part to Zack Snyder.

That thinking is why BvS was a mess but why Aquaman, Suicide Squad, and overall the Arrowverse is so well liked. Even when it comes to justice league it's telling the parts most people liked came from the reshoots.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how filmmaking works.

It's worked for marvel 😛

But my biggest issue is think about how Happy Hogan went from a very minor character to an interesting support character among this whole arc of films, or how FFH uses something related to Iron Man is such a great smart way, but then Snyder decided to put a bullet in the head of Superman's Pal.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks for the Endgame spoilers folks. Very considerate.

My fault I suppose for frequenting a Marvel spoilers thread. Oh wait...

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
It was telegraphed but your in the minority when it comes to the reaction. My girlfriend is casual fan (has seen most of the movies , a big fan but doesn't talk about them on the internet or keep up with casting or trailers until they show up in theatres or YouTube). Hell shes talks about how Tony is her least favorite Avenger but his arc in the past 4 films had her bawling at the end of endgame and during moments of Far From home.

DC has always been the lighter universe overall despite having books and stories that have been dark or violent. The whole DC is so dark and edgy only became a thing in recent years thanks in part to Zack Snyder.

That thinking is why BvS was a mess but why Aquaman, Suicide Squad, and overall the Arrowverse is so well liked. Even when it comes to justice league it's telling the parts most people liked came from the reshoots.
Eh, dont know if I agree with that last sentence. Seemed like everybody's favorite scene from Justice League was them fighting superman with him seeing flash in slow mo. Stuff Whedon added like flash falling on wonder womans boobs, cavill cgi mouth and the opening batman scene got trashed. Affleck seemed completely disinterested in all his reshoot scenes.

The fact the only conversation still taking place around that film is what we didn't see and not the actual film is telling.

Calling suicide squad well liked is a bit of a stretch to the say the least.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say SS was "well-liked", but it was much better received by audiences than BvS.

SS opening weekend multiplier (US): 2.43
BvS opening weekend multiplier (US): 1.98

SS worldwide gross (no China release): $747m
BvS worldwide gross (China removed): $778m

SS home video revenue (US): $95m
BvS home video revenue (US): $78m

BvS should've blown SS out of the water.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I see we've hit the regularly scheduled "woulda, shoulda, coulda" part of the thread.

It's been a while.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So you somehow never saw FFH trailers or commercials on TV? That sucks.
I haven't because the trailer said to not watch if you haven't seen Endgame. Some people such as myself wait for Blu-ray release.

Certainly didn't expect to get spoiled in this thread. If the movie isn't even out of theaters yet, I don't think open spoilers are cool.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I mean I am still hoping just cause WB doesn't have a panel it doesn't mean we won't get something. BoP comes out before WW89 and Patty said they won't be in full swing till Dec so might as well drop a teaser at least.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
WB is doing fine and the DCEU films haven't "imploded" or fallen out of favour with the general audience in the way it's being described here. While I wish there was a slate of upcoming movies that can keep us (and the general audience) tantalized for what comes next, it's perfectly reasonable to understand why not every movie studio needs to do what Marvel does. In particular, having upcoming films like Joker, BoP and New Gods show that the DCEU is still taking its own path.

And personally, while I've can get the reasoning for why it's so, I don't personally believe that success at the box office necessarily equals devoted investment to the brand. I've heard from friends that they only watch the MCU movies because that's the most popular thing out in theatres and that afterwards they completely forgot about seeing them. If everyone can bring in their own anecdotes than I'll be happy to bring my own too 😁.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In a perfect world we would've gotten solo movies for each character after man of steel, we didn't, we're in a place where things are def on the up and up and the future is bright but its not in a order that makes sense and it feels like we just gotta wait and see how things turn out and which character gets a movie because there is no defined schedule because its not like the world is building to a grand event.

If aquaman had faced a delay like what flash has gotten, like if james wan didn't bust his ass with that film the DCEU would've been in shambles. That scraped by in production and made a billion and put a lot of good will in to DC and keeping the shared world going.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
After aquaman and shazam which I both loved I'm fully on board with Hamada and the future of DC.

People wonder why others circle back to Snyder and that but well, its been 3 years and people still discuss BVS more than comic book films that came out this year. It is what it is. It's like it physically pains some people that MOS and BVS has fans.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Things are def on the up and up. Lessons learned and all that for WB (hopefully).

I was talking about how the MCU boils their characters down to their basics earlier, but WB managed to give us damn near the full new 52 story for Billy Batson. Aquaman basically did the same. It's exactly what is needed if they want success.

So I'm happy with how things are turning out. It's just taking a while and they've got to not drop movies 6 weeks before juggernauts like Endgame.

I just really really want to know how Reeves Batman fits in all this.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
All they need to do right now is just to have the new Batman show up as a cameo even if it's just for a couple of seconds in something like Birds of Pray to establish him as the new DCU Batman going forward. Like a quick conversation between Batgirl and Batman on a roof at the end of the movie or end credits. DCEU is in a good place right now going forward so long as WB don't fuck it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.