• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Levi is a great performer. Massive amount of onscreen charm. Plus from all accounts he's a good dude. Glad he got a nice big break here. He deserves to be in more interesting stuff.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to John Cena?

I don't see it.... Then again, I was one of the people that didn't buy Gadot as WW when it was announced so I bet I'll be proven wrong again. Btw, why are they taking a decade to make this movie?

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wow.. ok I think Zachary Levi is alright, so hopefully he does well in bringing another DC character to life. I think it would be awesome to see Henry Cavill's Superman get an appearance in this too.

Anyway I believe I was first introduced to him via his voice work in Tangled, and I liked that.. so can only look forward to seeing what he does here with more of a headlining live action role.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
April 5, 2019

so about 7-8 months to pack on the pounds and muscle. before shooting. He wasn't my first choice, and DC doesn't give me faith, but at least we are getting a Shazam film. Hopefully this means an ongoing shazam book

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he can do well-meaning, intelligent man child pretty well, as per Chuck. If he puts on like 25-30 pounds of Muscle, yeah, he can play Captain Marvel/Shazam.
Hopefully the writing and supporting cast are equally as good.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be funny to see when he is bulked up in DC casting tradition. He definitely has that boyish charm going for him.

As this is going to be Geoff's run on the story of Billy Batson I do really hope they bring in the Twenty dollar scene for helping out a lady from being assaulted as a reward and showing that gigantic grin as a result. It would be amazing,

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I see much eating of cod in his future.

(if you weren't aware, Dwayne Johnson's diet includes massive amounts of cod for the lean protein)

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to John Cena?

I don't see it.... Then again, I was one of the people that didn't buy Gadot as WW when it was announced so I bet I'll be proven wrong again. Btw, why are they taking a decade to make this movie?

I feel like two particular points might have affected things:
1) Shazam (or Captain Marvel when plans for a film stated ages ago) is admittedly one of the weirder properties of DC. Not just in terms of general concept - boy becomes a man, literally, as his superpower - but in terms of execution and tone - it's intended to be lightheard, adventurous fun, but is also very easy to play up as dark and kinda messed up. Given the internal back and forth at DC over how to depict the character and his franchise, this may have stifled efforts in bringing the character to the screen because they weren't sure exactly how they wanted to do so. Like, if they want this to become the 'iconic' version of the character, is that in line with what they're actually trying to sell on store shelves?
2) Once plans for a DCEU became active, having Shazam come out too soon might have been... awkward. Sure, getting the Rock signed on was one thing, that can be done well in advance, particularly as he's become popular. But actually having a Shazam movie potentially hit before Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, or even Aquaman get to appear alongside Cavill's Superman? It'd be ballsy but make little sense, so they put it on the backburner.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It might be noted that while Cena has shown some comedy range, the production staff may have wanted an actor with a bit more. Levi has shown he can put off the broad comedy, it's just a matter of him being able to sell the physique and the character itself.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
4ubvhfhb3iuzwiket.jpg

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
...Okay yeah that's selling me on this even more. You can definitely seeing him pull off the 'Wait, what's going on exactly?' look

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people worry about his size. He can bulk up like crazy. No need to worry there.
Remember this guy.

andy-dwyer-happy-face.jpg

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Have they cast Billy yet?

The casting of Billy is more crucial to the film imho.

I loved Finn Wolfhard in Stranger things and even more in It. A good shout?