• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
Balanced Landing is so good on the Hawkins map. Dropping down the hole on the top floor into Balanced almost feels unfair.
And I can usually run some good safe loops in the big middle rooms with the overhead walkways.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Half your team disconnecting within the first two minutes of playing, but the killer is nice enough to lead you and your teammate to the generators and the exits.

DbD is a weird and wonderful game.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe during this double BP event I'll finally get all perks on every killer. I only need Nurse, Huntress, and now Demogorgon. They made it a little easier with better bloodwebs after level 40 where you can potentially snag two perks per web instead of one.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Half your team disconnecting within the first two minutes of playing, but the killer is nice enough to lead you and your teammate to the generators and the exits.

DbD is a weird and wonderful game.

Im really new in this game and ranking up is always something hard to grasp for me, specially as killer.
How does the killer win or rank up by letting the others escape?

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
When people DC near the beginning of the game I just go find the killer and let them kill me, even if they are nice I'll just point at a hook because I don't want to farm just because someone else ruined the game. Just kill me so I can move on.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So, I know, but what are the downsides of camping and tunneling etc? I know its unfair and I hate it myself when I am a survivor and a killer camps, but really, why shouldn't I do it other than for being civil? lol
Maybe I get a little more points if I don't camp, but I also might lose my opportunity to actually defeat the survivor, because I feel like if I don't camp im just giving them a chance to escape (and yes, they do and I lose).

So how do you guys deal with it and whats the situation behind all this? whats good and whats wrong?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So, I know, but what are the downsides of camping and tunneling etc? I know its unfair and I hate it myself when I am a survivor and a killer camps, but really, why shouldn't I do it other than for being civil? lol
Maybe I get a little more points if I don't camp, but I also might lose my opportunity to actually defeat the survivor, because I feel like if I don't camp im just giving them a chance to escape (and yes, they do and I lose).

So how do you guys deal with it and whats the situation behind all this? whats good and whats wrong?

Against good survivors, camping in a tight radius will just give them all the time to do gens. If you camp somebody from 1st hook to death that's enough time for 4 gens to get completed

Each gen takes 80 seconds at base speed to complete. Each state of a hook is 60 seconds, giving them 2 full minutes before they die. 3 survivors each working on 1 gen would be 3 gens in about 80 seconds, 2 working on another gen would grab another one done in about 45 seconds. This is all if they have no toolboxes and nobody is using Prove Thyself.

Also if you stay near a survivor on the hook for too long you lose ranking points, if you would like to rank up that is not the way to do it.

Tunneling also loses you some rank points, as the chase bonus you get wouldn't be much. Just walking up and downing survivors instantly doesn't show you're good at chases. 300-500 points for a hit + points for chasing each second add up.

Hypothetical situation for you. 4 survivors alive, 1 on hook and 3 gens left.

Theoretically 3 could be on gens. Let's say 1 grabs the save that's only a max of 2 people on gens. The person who just got unhooked is injured and presumably the person who did the unhooking is full health. When the injured survivor runs away they most likely won't hop on a gen. They want to get healed. If they have self-care that's 40 seconds of them not working on gens, while you're chasing another person that's working on gens. If they don't have self-care then they need to find a teammate to heal them, which takes 2 people off of gens + the person you're chasing. If you can chase pretty well you can get the down on the unhooker and put more compounding pressure on. That gets another person off a gen, and slows down objective. The only way to win as killer is to put pressure on the gens.

Let's say you happen to accidentally run into the person who was just hooked first. A lot of times it's better to smack them down and then chase after the person who unhooked them. That guarantees 2 people are not on gens, if the person isn't running Unbreakable then a 3rd person will have to leave their gen to pick them up.

Basically, camping against people who are focused on objective fucks you over in the long run and just gets you 1 kill, big whoop.

Tunneling, doesn't really fuck you over that bad. It can lose pressure though, so it's not always optimal. Plus you don't want to have to fuck with Decisive Strike.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Thanks that was a really good answer.
One thing I try to not do is to kill the survivor if he was already hooked twice, so I leave him to bleed out to bait his friends, but yet again, this can be considered camping and I am yet not focusing on the gens.
That being said, I don't have many hours of this game yet I bough it like 2 years ago but it looks fun the more i look into it.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It gets easier to manage when you have more perks to work with. A few you might like that work with well in those situations

1. Surveillance - The Pig teachable - this makes it so when you kick a gen the gens aura turns to white. The aura will stay white until a survivor touches the gen or the gen hits 0%. It will turn yellow to show you the gen is no longer regressing for either reason.

This one is super good because you can kick a few gens and as long as they're white you know you don't have to worry about going back to them. Can help you maintain your lead.

Combo this one with Surge (Demorgogon perk) or Pop Goes the Weasel (Clown perk) for some nice synergy. Surge will auto regress gens near when you down somebody and Surveillance will also auto track those. Pop Goes the Weasel is nice to stop gens that are close to completing as it applies a 25% regression as soon as you kick (fun fact for you all, Pop Goes the Weasel is equal to 80 seconds of normal gen regression from a kick! It equates out to about 20 seconds of repair time)

2. Infectious Fright - The Plague teachable - this makes it so if you down a survivor any other survivor in your terror radius will scream and it will inform you exactly where they are.

This perk is not so good on killers with a small terror radius (Hag, Spirit, Michael at Tier 2, Huntress). On all other killers though you can see if somebody is near and if it might be worth it to leave a slug and apply some major pressure. Since you immediately have the knowledge of who is nearby you can make a quick play that can help get you a W.

Good combos with this are Knock Out (Leatherface perk) and Monitor & Abuse (Doctor perk). The synergy with Monitor & Abuse is because your terror radius increases by 8 meters when you are in a chase so when you hit somebody down it gives you info for all survivors in an extra 8 meter radius.

3. Discordance - The Legion perk - This makes it so when 2 or more people work on a gen it will highlight yellow.

The reason why this helps in this situation is if the person who was unhooked gets away and immediately finds a person on a gen to work on it, you will then know where they went along with another survivor. This perk helps put a ton of pressure on it as it can immediately take 2 people off of gens, which is the dream right? It can also give you info on if a survivor is hiding by a gen. Run up to a gen with discordance just applied and only see 1 person running off? There is probably a 2nd person crouching nearby.

This perk honestly works fine on it's own standalone, so here's a quick strat for y'all. If you're playing Freddy and initiate a teleport to a gen then the survivors will most likely run away immediately. If you see 2 survivors working on a gen with discordance or BBQ or any other way, start walking towards the gen. When you get somewhat close initiate your teleport but cancel at 99%. The survivors on the gen will most likely have gotten off to run away from where they think you will be but will end up running right into your arms :)

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you're going against a SWF squad, camping or patrolling the hook can be amazing. If the survivors are gen jockeys, camping will get you an easy loss. But then again the game at high ranks is very survivor sided, so you're likely to lose no matter what if you're playing people focused on gens.

You can get less points towards your rank progress for camping, but it depends on how close you are, how long you stay, and whether another survivor is near. Typically you can camp some and still pip/double pip as long as you play well and end chases quick.

There is no right or wrong really, you're the killer, do whatever you want.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so generous when I give the last survivor hatch or gate escape.
Last night the 2nd last survivor Kobe'd off the hook so I let her go free too. I wasn't even mad, I was impressed.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Since we have some pros here.

Look into this situation, 2 survivors alive, 3 gens left.
What do I do? I kept trying to do gens until I eventually die.
What is the downside of just hiding in a locker until the killer defeats the last survivor so I can have a chance at escape?
Again, this is not ideal, but just wondering what I should be doing in these situations.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
In that situation, I think its best to work on gens when you can, hide when you hear a heartbeat and repeat. Best case is both escape, worst case is both die. Hope the killer notices the other guy instead of you and that the person can hold off or die fast so you can then make the choice. Hide at an exit gate and hope the killer finds the hatch, or you find the hatch first.

If SWF then work on 2 separate gens that way it will split the killers attention. You can work on the gens together, but then the killer knows exactly where you both are and the best thing a killer can do in that situation is hurt one and then go back to the gen and patrol it instead of doing a chase because the killer will know you want to finish that one because it has the most progress and if the killer only hurts one and they spend more time healing then doing gens then that is great for the killer.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
in short, I need to get good, because most of the times in these situations I can never shake off the killer. 25% chance to escape, but I still need to get some of the useful perks etc.
Another thing I do, I never use items or addons because I figure i will need them for higher ranks, but I actually never get to higher ranks so it's like those games where you save all your potions for a big bad boss but you never actually use them lol.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What is the downside of just hiding in a locker until the killer defeats the last survivor so I can have a chance at escape?
Again, this is not ideal, but just wondering what I should be doing in these situations.

I despise survivors who play scared and hide for the hatch. If I'm the killer and I notice only one gen is being worked on by one survivor and the other is hiding, I'll usually down that survivor doing the gen and then try to find the other and hook them so the other guy who was actually trying to play the game can have hatch.

It's also very frustrating as survivor to have one teammate left and they are urban evading around the map looking for hatch and you're on a gen. If I pop a gen and notice the other survivor hasn't done shit, I'll try to find them and sandbag them. Idc if I die too, they deserve it.

Last night for example I'm Demogorgon on a swamp map. Two are dead, I patrol all gens, nothing is happening. After patrolling all of the gens a few times I finally hear one being worked on. It was a Steve, I downed him and hooked him. I went through a tunnel to the other side of the map to check some gens to see if maybe the other person started doing something and they unhooked. I checked a couple more gens and went back. Steve stayed injured and went back on the gen. I downed him and left him. They had two gens left so the hatch had spawned. I checked shack and then the other place where the basement can sometimes spawn and there was the hatch. Went upstairs and checked a random locker, there was Kate, hiding, doing nothing. I grabbed her, hooked her, and camped her until she tried to unhook herself and died. I found Steve and gave him hatch.

Plus you're new at the game, you should WANT interaction with the killer so you can learn how to juke and stun and mind game properly.

Also don't worry about items. Not only do you get a ton while leveling up but you can always search chests for items and there are even perks that guarantee good items.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Played a bit more after a bit of a hiatus, same old same old. Teammates killing themselves on hook, not doing gens just because Ruin exists, self caring when the killer has devour hope active, killers BMing by dropping you near the hatch then closing it in your face despite the fact you ran them forever whilst your team crouched in a corner doing jack shit. I don't even know how it's possible to double pip even when you die.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine the other survivor has the same idea and now you're both hiding in lockers. You've effectively taken the game hostage at that point and that fucking sucks.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I can't stand it when it's me and another survivor is left, but the other survivor isn't doing shit and just camping the hatch. Fuck that. I always try to repair the gens.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
When I notice a Survivor doing obviously nothing useful, I make a concerted effort to tunnel and kill them for the sake of everyone else haha

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the Switch community for the game will remain strong after the initial surge of players?

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
So I bought DbD on switch. It would not boot at all even though it's midnight here. It has an update so I'm hoping once the update finishes, it'll be good to go. I'll let you all know what's up!

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's more positive than I expected tbh.

I'd be in if it had cross save but as it is I can't be fucked to pick it up and start over
Does any version have cross save? I have it on the PC (player level 65) and XBO (player level devotion 2 level 76) and mostly play on XBO (with all DLC except Saw, Ash, Leather/Ghostface) and hate that i have to buy all the DLC individually per platform as well.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Every game that I played last night as killer had a person I downed either DC or kill themselves on hook instantly which then makes me take it easy on the other 3 that the one person fucked over. Switch to survivor and it's a killer with an ebony mori who just proxy camped then tunnelled people off hook and still only got a 2k. Fun.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I came back yesterday after a couple of weeks pause and the matchmaking is more broken than ever, this game will never change.

Now they have permanent groups that are supposed to stay together and what does the game like literally every 2 games? Connects 2 or 3 from your group to a game with a random person while the other one stays in the group lobby and gets left behind, literally the last thing that should happen with such a feature, lmao. Why is that even a thing?

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
Man, playing on switch has been hilarious. So many new players and killers. Been helping out the survivors like crazy especially when the new killers camp. Then if I see the killer is having trouble downing/hooking anyone, I will gladly get downed/hooked. As a killer, I will hook them twice and just apply pressure for them to finish the gens and escape. It's so fun lol

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm new to this game I just got it on the Switch. What do I need to know before I start to play it?

Hi, here's some general tips I can try to think of for brand new players. I'll try to keep this post Survivor focused so I don't ramble for too long.

Your goal as survivor is to escape. You are apart of a team of 4, you all need to work together to get out. There are 2 ways to escape and "win".

1. Exit Gates: These things power after 5 generators have been completed. Each map spawns with 7 generators with 5 of them needing to be completed in order to power up the exit gates. There is no specific order the gens need to be completed, just 5 of any of them. Once 5 gens are completed the location of the 2 exit gates will flash an aura to you for about 5 seconds. You then need to open the exit gate by walking up to the panel and holding whatever the action key is. It takes 16 seconds at base speed to open the exit gate. After the gate is opened you can walk through and leave.

2. The Escape Hatch: the escape hatch is a way to leave without powering the gate. There are specific rules for how the hatch spawns but the most important and most often you'll encounter it is when you are the last survivor. When you're the last survivor the hatch will then spawn and open allowing you to escape. The killer can close the hatch will then trigger Endgame (more on that soon) and power the exit gates (not open them).

The hatch can spawn prior to being the last person alive, the rules for the hatch spawning are as follows: Gens completed is equal to amount of surivors alive + 1. This means 2 survivors alive needs 3 gens done, 3 survivors needs 4 gens done and 4 survivors needs all gens done. The hatch spawns by default closed, and will only open once there is only 1 survivor left in the match (whether the other ones died or escaped). You can open any closed hatch (whether it's closed because more than 1 survivor is in the match or the killer closed it) by using a key (item you can find in match or bring later, more on this later).

Endgame Collapse: Once the hatch has been closed or the exit gates are opened (not powered) the endgame collapse starts. The collapse brings up a bar on the top of the screen that is effectively an hourglass. The timer for endgame is 2 minutes long. The time slows when a survivor is on the ground or on the hook (but not dead). Once the timer ends all survivors in the match will instantly be sacrificed. Best to get out before the timer runs out.

Early game: As soon as the game starts you got 1 thing you need to do. Hop on a generator. The entire point of survivors is to work on gens. The goal of killers is to slow the game down and prevent survivors from doing gens long enough for you to kill them. Easiest way to find a gen is to look up, they have long big ol poles on them with lights that tell you if they're done. If the lights are flickering the gen isn't done.

Pro tip time, this also affects internal maps. If the lights in a room or house are flickering, it means there's a gen that's not completed in there.

Try to work on a gen by yourself, it may seem so nice to work on a gen with a teammate but this is actually not often a smart move. There's 2 reasons for this, first being that if you work on a gen with another person you actually only work at 180% efficiency, vs 2 people working at 100% efficiency. This goes down for each survivors as well, 3 survivors is 270% and 4 survivors is 360%. The second and biggest reason for the early game, if the killer goes to a gen and 1 person is on it then now 1 person is not working on gens. If a killer goes to a gen and 2 people are working on it then you now have 2 people not working on gens. Your main goal should be getting gens done as fast as possible to relieve pressure from the killer. The killer is easily able to snowball any match so maintaining progress is the key to getting the fuck out.

Chases: 99% of games you're eventually going to get chased by the killer. The killer is faster than you, but not by a humongous amount. There is kind of an art to mindgames, maintaining a distance around pallets and windows, pathing and jukes. I don't have the energy to even try to write all that out. The important things you need to know are how to try and escape.

1. Pallets: These can be your best friend, also your worst depending on the pallet. Use the action key to drop that pallet and if you hit the killer with it they get stunned for about 3 seconds. You can slide over the pallet (you always fast vault if holding down run) but the killer cannot. The killer has to break a pallet to get through it. There are limited pallets, so running around pallet to pallet and dropping them will deplete them pretty quick. This will fuck over not just you but your entire team. Try to get value out of pallets by running around them and baiting the killer into chasing you for a long while. Keep tucked into the walls when running around and try to position your camera so you can see where the killer is running.

2. Windows: Windows are an infinite resource in DBD. You can vault through a window (do it while running and running at the window and not from an angle to get a fast vault!) much quicker than a killer. These can give you the space to get to another pallet or loop through a structure to get through to different windows. While windows don't break like pallets, you can only fast vault a pallet 3 times during a chase. After you do this the entity will use it' magic deus ex machina fingers to block the window for 15 or so seconds. So you can vault them for a bit, the game won't let you do it forever. You'd have to come back later.

3. Lockers: These are noob traps. They make a lot of noise when you open, even with a slow entrance. If you fast vault into a locker the killer will get a notification telling them. If they catch you in one then you go from needing to get hit twice (mostly) to going down in one hit. Use these sparingly, and adjust if the killer is seen catching other peeps out of lockers.

Hooks: More times than not you're gonna get caught by the killer. Don't expect to get out every game, don't expect to escape most chases. Being hooked isn't the end of the world, it's actually mostly just fine most of the time. These are the important notes on hooks.

1. Hook states: Each survivor has 3 hook states. The first is when you're allowed to pull yourself off and lasts for 60 seconds. DO NOT DO THIS. This is a trap for new players. The actual chance of escaping is 4% at base. Each time you fail an escape it takes 20 seconds off of your hook state. The only time you should do this is if everybody is already on the hook and the game is looking pretty over.

Your second state is struggle state. This one is annoying, but it also lasts for 60 seconds. You gotta spam a button or you die. You can give up if you want to, which is nice, but holding onto it is a benefit to your teammates so try not to be sour and hold on as long as possible to give your teammates a chance to try and save or to get some generators done. Even if the killer is camping you, best to hold on for the benefit of your team. The third and final state is sacrifice, you don't get to struggle or do anything, you just die. GG game over.

2. Saving: You should always try to save your friends, but doing so safe is preferred. Important to remember that they have 60 seconds. Sometimes the killer will be patroling or camping nearby and in those times it's probably preferably to work on a gen. Rushing to a hook will usually end up with you or the person being saved going down immediately. This increases the killers pressure and can get some salty DC's / early kills which gives the killer immense power. Try to time your saves to when it's most safe, and if you can't get one then try to focus on a nearby gen or get the killers attention so somebody else can grab the save!

There's a whole lot more but this post is too long for anybody to reasonably read already. Don't be afraid to ask for tips and we'll be here to answer any questions. Also the dead by daylight wiki is a super awesome resource that you should use for anything you wanna know.

I'll end on some quick and easy tips that I forgot before:

1. When you run you leave scratch marks. These last for about 10 seconds and lead to where you are. If you don't want the killer to be able to track you then use this to your advantage.

2. Killer is in first person vs 3rd person, this gives you a huge advantage in terms of hiding and visibilty. Keep this in mind as both surv and killer!

3. If you are working on a gen and the skill check is red this means the killer has hex ruin. There should be a lit totem hidden somewhere on the map that if you walk up to and hold the action button on it will destroy the totem and remove this perk.

4. When you are injured you're loud af. Sometimes the killer could have no idea where you are but they can listen and follow you to exactly where you are. Blood trails are easily seen as well.

5. Please don't t-bag (crouch spam) the killer unless you want them to tunnel the fuck out of you.

Last edited:

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Whats up with this DC bullshit people do?
Does it affect the killer or the survivor?
what does he gain by DCing?

DC'ing is always in advantage of the killer. Losing a survivor destroys momentum and gives the killer much easier time slowing the game down.

People literally just do it because they're mad. If somebody loses connection it does not make a noise, but if somebody forcefully quits it will make a map wide noise to indicate.