• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
dbd-title.jpg

Hello all, welcome to the Dead by Daylight Community |OT|, I figured we should get a general thread going instead of relying on new threads about DLC information to discuss the game.

Graphics for the Thread Title, Killers and Survivors are kindly provided by Noisepurge and updated regularly. Thank you Noisepurge!

rHf89pG.png

Dead by Daylight is an asymmetrical multiplayer (4vs1) horror game where one player takes on the role of the savage Killer, and the other four players play as Survivors hoping to escape.

Each game consists of the Killer, the Survivors, generators, hooks, totems, chests, a hatch and exit gates.
Everyone playing can use tokens called Offerings and their Perks to their advantage; these will change the gameplay in each encounter that can put the game in the favour of the Survivors or the Killers if used effectively.

Developed by: Behaviour Interactive
Published by: Starbreeze Studios (defunct), Behaviour Interactive
Release date: June 14, 2016 (PC),
June 20, 2017 (PS4 & XBO),
September 24, 2019 (Switch),
November 10, 2020 (XSX),
November 12, 2020 (PS5)

g9LQ4Vj.png

The objective is simple. The Killers objective is to please the Entity by sacrificing the Survivors on Hooks. The Killer is to hunt and mercilessly kill each Survivor by hitting them, picking them up and taking them to hooks located around the map. The Entity will then attempt to steal the soul of the Survivor.
  • Note: The Killer can kill Survivors without using Hooks if they use a Memento Mori Offering or via their power such as Pyramid Head or Sadako.
The Survivors objective is to fix 5 generators located around each map which give power to the exit gates. The Survivors can then open the Exit Gates and escape.
  • Note: The Survivors can also escape if they locate a secret hatch that is hidden in the map until they are the last Survivor alive.
Survivors have to help their comrades by taking them off Hooks so they don't get sacrificed to the big ol' Entity.

Characters are released 4 times a year, in DLC packages called Chapters. It's recommended you try out the basegame characters first, to learn what style you like to play before buying additional ones. Original characters can also be bought with ingame currency, while licensed ones can only be bought with real money.

r9exIUD.png

Dead by Daylight has a variety of Killers, from original ones to classic film villains and videogame guest stars. Each Killer has a regular melee attack and a set of unique powers. These powers range from simple ones like throwing hatchets or swinging chainsaws, to more tactical ones like invisibility and teleports. Combined with a wide selection of perks, there's a lot of variety in playing Killers.

dbd-killers.jpg

03BeziT.png

The Survivors are the ones trying to escape the nightmare and are also consisting of original characters and licensed celebrities. Each Survivor is essentially the same, just being visually different. So Survivor builds are made from choosing the perks you want and maybe bringing in an item that can help the team, such as a medkit or a toolbox. Playing with friends can also bring more depth by assigning team roles from medics to someone being the diversion.

dbd-survivors.jpg

*Silent Hill, Resident Evil & Stranger Things Chapters allow you to also buy other Characters in the in-game Store with Auric Cells.

q7QybnG.png

There is now a store where players can spend Iridescent Shards or Auric Cells on Costumes, Characters and the Shrine of Secrets.

DeYCrbyU0AAHwj0.jpg

VOHtUkW.png

There are three currencies currently implemented in the game.

Auric Cells are a Microtransaction type of DLC currency that can be bought from the PSN / XBL / Steam store and used to purchase Costumes, Survivors, Killers and alternative Characters (Chris Redfield, James Sunderland, etc) from the Store.

Iridescent Shards are a currency that players get for free when levelling up their Player Level, Player Level is increased by earning EXP from every game session you play. Shards are used to unlock Costumes, non-licenced Characters and Killers for free, and to be used in the Shrine of Secrets.

Bloodpoints, these are used to upgrade your characters in the Bloodweb, allowing them to level up and unlock new Perk Slots, new Perks, Items and Offerings to use in trials. When a character reaches Level 50 you can spend 20,000 Bloodpoints to Prestige the character. Prestige levels unlock the following:
  • Prestige 1-3 = All of that characters Exclusive Perks will be unlocked on every other character at Tier 1/2/3.
  • Prestige 4-6 = The Character will unlock a Bloodied Variant Skin of their default outfit.
  • Prestige 7-9 = Charms of that Characters Exclusive Perks.
  • Prestige 10-100 = Exclusive Icon depending on how high your Prestige is.

49VyXou.png

Each week, the Shrine of Secrets is a place where players can spend their Iridescent Shards to unlock Survivor / Killer Exclusive Perks for all other Survivors / Killers so that any Survivor / Killer can use those perks. There are usually two Survivor Perks and two Killer Perks to unlock via this way.

It looks a bit like this:
uhxfqepmf8k01.jpg

Graphics for the Thread Title, Killers and Survivors kindly provided by Noisepurge

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yessss. I was hoping somebody would make an OT. Much better job than I could do.

Thank you! I thought we needed on as I can continue to update it with all of the new DLC's released. I'll probably edit it and make it more in depth soon (in regards to DLC packs.)

Hopefully more people will join the discussion soon, guess I'll ask the generic is there anymore licensed killers / survivors anyone would like to see?

I would adore a Silent Hill themed pack with Pyramid Head and James.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that they found a way to kinda stop face camping with Freddy, I wonder if they'll come up with clever ways to do that with any future killers.

Thank you! I thought we needed on as I can continue to update it with all of the new DLC's released. I'll probably edit it and make it more in depth soon (in regards to DLC packs.)

Hopefully more people will join the discussion soon, guess I'll ask the generic is there anymore licensed killers / survivors anyone would like to see?

I would adore a Silent Hill themed pack with Pyramid Head and James.

ooh, the chances of getting Jason Voorhees are higher than anything from Konami.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
ooh, the chances of getting Jason Voorhees are higher than anything from Konami.

Hilarious but absolutely true.

EDIT:

Freddy Kreugar is getting nerfed / balance patched in the next update.
List of changes compiled by reddits_Morbi_ below
  • Balance-Patch will come next week to PC/Steam
  • When you use Freddy's power, there is an increased slowdown in his movement
  • Freddy's lullaby will have an increased range for survivors in the Awake state
  • Once you get out of Freddy's terror radius while dreaming, he will not see your outline/aura for 10 seconds
  • Waking up & healing is now merged into one action: healing a survivor will immediately wake them up. It is NOT confirmed if this will be the case for Unbreakable!!!
  • Added UI status element to show if a survivor is sleeping
  • When a survivor is falling asleep, Freddy is going to be partially invisible during those 7 seconds (one second he is visible, one second he isn't)
  • Adrenaline will wake up the survivor
  • Something is being worked on behind the scenes regarding the terror radius during a chase to enable better mind games (affects every killer)
  • "Remember Me" change: if the Obsession is killed, your tokens are gone now
  • Polishes to textures and effects of Freddy
  • This will be a first wave of changes, they'll look into his balancing again after a longer time
  • Sidenote: Freddy has the highest count of survivor DCs per match
  • "Face Freddy and learn!" - Dave Richard (Creative Director)
The Reddit is currently not happy with these changes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
btw, the last (console) patch mentioned something about being able to unhook players from every side, probably to stop face campers. does it work? my last sessions (luckily) didn't have any of those.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
btw, the last (console) patch mentioned something about being able to unhook players from every side, probably to stop face campers. does it work? my last sessions (luckily) didn't have any of those.

Whilst I haven't played with the latest patch yet, I think it'll help but probably not fix the issue. The killer only has to move to the left or right to hit you if you're taking them off the hook and I can't imagine that'll be hard to achieve.

It's much more helpful in all situations regardless though so it's a valued addition. Granted Ive barely played with face campers for a while now luckily.

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hilarious but absolutely true.

EDIT:

Freddy Kreugar is getting nerfed / balance patched in the next update.
List of changes compiled by reddits_Morbi_ below
  • Balance-Patch will come next week to PC/Steam
  • When you use Freddy's power, there is an increased slowdown in his movement
  • Freddy's lullaby will have an increased range for survivors in the Awake state
  • Once you get out of Freddy's terror radius while dreaming, he will not see your outline/aura for 10 seconds
  • Waking up & healing is now merged into one action: healing a survivor will immediately wake them up. It is NOT confirmed if this will be the case for Unbreakable!!!
  • Added UI status element to show if a survivor is sleeping
  • When a survivor is falling asleep, Freddy is going to be partially invisible during those 7 seconds (one second he is visible, one second he isn't)
  • Adrenaline will wake up the survivor
  • Something is being worked on behind the scenes regarding the terror radius during a chase to enable better mind games (affects every killer)
  • "Remember Me" change: if the Obsession is killed, your tokens are gone now
  • Polishes to textures and effects of Freddy
  • This will be a first wave of changes, they'll look into his balancing again after a longer time
  • Sidenote: Freddy has the highest count of survivor DCs per match
  • "Face Freddy and learn!" - Dave Richard (Creative Director)
The Reddit is currently not happy with these changes.

Meanwhile Freddy is still not out on console. We definitely get the short straw with this game, especially with the frequency of bugs like the progression deletion bug that stay on console long after being fixed on PC.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Freddy is still not out on console. We definitely get the short straw with this game, especially with the frequency of bugs like the progression deletion bug that stay on console long after being fixed on PC.

I already fear that the real / dreamworld transition will turn the game into a powerpoint presentation.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It can help counter face campers, but is not a perfect fix by any means. If the killer is Leatherface or Billy, for example, they can still just sit and rev up and down anyone. They can also just let you unhook and then tunnel.

What it does help, is when the gates are open and someone is hooked near one, you can now get someone off the hook and out before they're downed, assuming you proc Borrowed Timer.

Still waiting for Fred on consoles. A shame there is such a long delay between PC and consoles. I don't even mind the nerfs, all killers are pretty easily shit on in high level play.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Still waiting for Fred on consoles. A shame there is such a long delay between PC and consoles. I don't even mind the nerfs, all killers are pretty easily shit on in high level play.

Yeah the delays between DLC releases is a little jarring considering Friday gets all content out on the same day. It's not bothered me too much but I'm itching to play as as against Freddy.

As a Killer I mostly stick to Michael Myers, he's so fun to play as. I haven't bought Leatheface because that's another thing that bothered me: he was more expensive on console than PC. :/

Feng is my Survivor main. I'm like level 30 with her and I'm wondering whether to prestige her or not. I'm bothered you lose everything when you do it.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feng is my Survivor main. I'm like level 30 with her and I'm wondering whether to prestige her or not. I'm bothered you lose everything when you do it.

I usually use all the items/offerings to get enough bloodpoints for another character and then go prestige with the previous. my Dwight is ready for prestige 3, just using him now to level up some killers first.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the delays between DLC releases is a little jarring considering Friday gets all content out on the same day. It's not bothered me too much but I'm itching to play as as against Freddy.

As a Killer I mostly stick to Michael Myers, he's so fun to play as. I haven't bought Leatheface because that's another thing that bothered me: he was more expensive on console than PC. :/

I got Doctor to P3 in Xbox before they buffed him, I've barely used him since. I have Billy at P2 50, Leatherface at 50, then Hag and Nurse at 40 for their perks. Idk if I will prestige anyone else, the buff you get to items you find in the blood webs doesn't seem worth it.

I run David as survivor for WGLF. I have Meg and Claudette at 41 for their perks but I don't think I have anyone else leveled at all. Currently saving BP for Freddy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK

I'm all about David... for... reasons....

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some news, thanks to the Playstation EU Blog it seems that Freddy is coming to Console on 09/11/2017.

Also, some news regarding the OT OP itself, I will be editing this at some point to better reflect the DLC Packages and how they work / are bought to make the thread newcomer friendly. We've been entered into the Community Spotlight feature ResetERA is doing which means our community will be moved to the main Video Games section and I'm hoping this'll bring more attention to the thread and bring in some new faces.

On an unrelated note:

I encountered this really bizarre bug. Here's a description of what happened:

I saw a Meg was saved by a teammate from a hook but the Entity didn't stop trying to take their soul, he kept growing and growing and the killer couldn't rehook her. She got out and I followed her and healed her but then she suddenly disappeared as the Entity 'bomb' noise played and a Memento Mori icon popped up over her name.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Oh man i really enjoyed this game for a few weeks, played probably like 80 hours.

Should hop back in and check out the freddy DLC.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DLC is out in the Australian store for both consoles. So both should be getting Freddy tomorrow.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's out on Xbox US. Played one match as him. He's incredibly shitty against looping but that's like... his only weakness.

Of course, I'm rank 1 so that's all survivors are going to do at huh level is loop.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just played in a session where freddy was the killer, in the new map, with hex ruin and 2 rage quits in the very first minute. woof!

giphy.webp

excuse me, need to change my pants now.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, Freddy tonight!

And lol, I'm down for taking on "The Nea". I actually had a match where I was alone as a survivor with a Nea... that was working with the killer. Got hooked and Nea and the killer just stood there and taunted until I struggled myself into oblivion. So I guess I've already met "The Nea".

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had one game against Freddy today that was cut really short, and it was so exhilarating.

I didn't realise Premonition worked whilst he was around in the real world. It kept freaking me out. When he was about to bring me into the Dream World he disconnected. :( so I didn't even get to see him.

Really creepy stuff though!

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have they improved the online? I swear, I could read a whole lootbox thread here before the match would start, now I can hardly finish this comment.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This has been my biggest surprise of the year. A couple friends and I picked it up during the Halloween Steam sale, and it's all we've been playing recently. I can't recommend it enough.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dead By Daylight, along with Friday the 13th, have pretty much been my go to games for months now so it's awesome to see the DBD community get the spotlight.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know we had a thread for this game. Have been a Killer main forever and got everyone to level 50 but haven't played it as often recently due to the 2017 block buster of so many great new releases.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hello all! Yes, we have existed in the corner of the Hangouts category like the cool kids for a while now.

Haha but seriously I was hoping to update the thread OP with better information for DLC Packs but unfortunately I've found myself without internet for weeks surviving off of my mobile data. I'll get to it when I get Internet set up in my new home.

And yeah I have to say Friday the 13th and DBD had effectively replaced Overwatch this year as my go to multiplayer games and I'm glad they both exist. It's always exciting to get back in the game when new content is released.

Oct 28, 2017
Hi DBDEra! I too picked this up in the Halloween sale and it's one of my games of the year. Unbearably tense as a survivor...

I'd love to see some kind of fix for the 'dodge the killer by repeatedly sliding over an obstacle' cheese though.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I took a big ol break from this game after freddy came out.

I still put a good 200 hours into this game since the Humble Bundle in August. I'll be back soon most likely.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi DBDEra! I too picked this up in the Halloween sale and it's one of my games of the year. Unbearably tense as a survivor...

I'd love to see some kind of fix for the 'dodge the killer by repeatedly sliding over an obstacle' cheese though.

they've mentioned, they will work on a better pallet placement.

I took a big ol break from this game after freddy came out.

I still put a good 200 hours into this game since the Humble Bundle in August. I'll be back soon most likely.

speaking of, anybody know why the majority hates/boycotts freddy?

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Man I love thus game but I've met so many salty survivors it's like they think the killer only exists to chase them and let em win and when you do win they cry and call you slurs.