• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
So, played the DLC and beat it after 4 tries, the first time i lost against Death, then i couldn't go further after Death, then i messed around and since i couldn't enter a 2nd time i couldn't fight Dracula, 4th time i get there and just kill Dracula in his two forms and managed to save Richter.

It's a fun DLC...also, to be fair, i wasn't playing at the hardest difficulty setting, still felt cool beating Dracula first try.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Really thought I had Drac this time, but my loadout turned out to be king shit against an enemy just flying around the upper half of the screen, really deflating when your kit goes from god like in the standard game to struggle in the boss fights.
I'd say that it's maybe time to drop from my one whole boss cell back down to normal but I don't think it actually makes all that much difference at this point.

Switch performance issues are really beginning to do my head in, hard locks on loading screens, straight up game crashes, mini stutters, frame drops.
Part of me wishes I'd just picked up a complete edition on another platform but then I'd have to start from scratch.

Feb 16, 2023
I'm back in the throes of deadcells addiction. I gotta say, I still havent beaten the king. I got the whole game with all DLC and I havent played any of them since launch... and I keep getting sidetracked into the different biomes and trying not to unlock shit weapons and whatnot. The pace of dead cells as a rogue like is just fun. I always wondered why they never made a sequel and its crazy to see that they sort of don't need to. There's so much gear here now its hard to decide what to use.

The bat Castlevania weapon is cool but too slow tho.

Really thought I had Drac this time, but my loadout turned out to be king shit against an enemy just flying around the upper half of the screen, really deflating when your kit goes from god like in the standard game to struggle in the boss fights.
I'd say that it's maybe time to drop from my one whole boss cell back down to normal but I don't think it actually makes all that much difference at this point.

Switch performance issues are really beginning to do my head in, hard locks on loading screens, straight up game crashes, mini stutters, frame drops.
Part of me wishes I'd just picked up a complete edition on another platform but then I'd have to start from scratch.

Switch I think I bought some multiplatform for it (Hades) and regretted it. Fuzzy AF looking on the tv. I now stopped buying MP for switch unless it something really lowfi like Necrodancer, and exclusives only. I dont game on the go anyhow and I dont like to play on the small screen

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the game yesterday, had a blast. Bought all the DLC today and I am a bit wary if I should be avoiding that content until I beat the vanilla areas. Is it safe to start DLCs (which I assume are the non-green transition doors) or should I upgrade my character before attempting any.

The DLC areas are tougher than the standard areas, however you will also generally get higher rewards for going into the DLC areas, so it's up to you. I've played the game for about 15 hours and I'm just at the point that I can run through most areas provided I luck out with good weapons.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord the Dracula fight second phase does not fuck around. This shit is tough.

I genuinely don't know how to beat that part. The first phase has enough full-screen attacks as it is, so by the time that part rolls around I'm already down to like 2 health potions and that phase has a ton of fucking HP. I wonder if there's a strategy to it, because my legendary Death Scythe melted other bosses like they were made of tissue paper but Drac laughed at its damage output.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I genuinely don't know how to beat that part. The first phase has enough full-screen attacks as it is, so by the time that part rolls around I'm already down to like 2 health potions and that phase has a ton of fucking HP. I wonder if there's a strategy to it, because my legendary Death Scythe melted other bosses like they were made of tissue paper but Drac laughed at its damage output.
It feels like they designed a Castlevania boss which is OK when it won't take you 40 minutes and a bit of luck to get back there again.

I think the trick with part 2 is just pattern memorization like part 1. The boulders don't seem to hit the platform he's next to; the beams sweep one direction, then the opposite, then hit where you once were; and then the meteors are just a sweep across the screen. Then when he starts doing that dash thing, it's probably just your dash timing. Unfortunately, I got wrecked once I got to that part.

What I don't get is why he has so much HP. Took me way longer to melt his health than anyone else. I'm just not excited about having to string together a viable run before I even get another shot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like they designed a Castlevania boss which is OK when it won't take you 40 minutes and a bit of luck to get back there again.

I think the trick with part 2 is just pattern memorization like part 1. The boulders don't seem to hit the platform he's next to; the beams sweep one direction, then the opposite, then hit where you once were; and then the meteors are just a sweep across the screen. Then when he starts doing that dash thing, it's probably just your dash timing. Unfortunately, I got wrecked once I got to that part.

What I don't get is why he has so much HP. Took me way longer to melt his health than anyone else. I'm just not excited about having to string together a viable run before I even get another shot.

Honestly, I think what they should've done is made it so once you reach the REAL Master's Keep the first time and talk to Alucard outside of the Dracula boss room door, you can get to it from the Castle Outskirts route after beating Death, instead of having to go all the way to the Clock Room to get to a route that leads you to the Master's Keep.

The time commitment is just too harsh as it is right now and it's frustrating to get 80% of the way to Master's Keep and then get punked because your DPS inexplicably fell off a cliff before you even get a CHANCE to try Drac again.

I think the whole "two versions of Dracula's Castle with only superficial differences, but only one of them leads to Dracula and the other doesn't" thing isn't really smart design. If they wanted to do two versions of the castle, they should've leaned into the Inverted Castle idea a bit more than they did.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Honestly, I think what they should've done is made it so once you reach the REAL Master's Keep the first time and talk to Alucard outside of the Dracula boss room door, you can get to it from the Castle Outskirts route after beating Death, instead of having to go all the way to the Clock Room to get to a route that leads you to the Master's Keep.

The time commitment is just too harsh as it is right now and it's frustrating to get 80% of the way to Master's Keep and then get punked because your DPS inexplicably fell off a cliff before you even get a CHANCE to try Drac again.

I think the whole "two versions of Dracula's Castle with only superficial differences, but only one of them leads to Dracula and the other doesn't" thing isn't really smart design. If they wanted to do two versions of the castle, they should've leaned into the Inverted Castle idea a bit more than they did.
Agreed, making the second time in the castle an inverted version would've been a nice touch. It's also kind of annoying that you can't fight Castlevania bosses in the training room.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, making the second time in the castle an inverted version would've been a nice touch. It's also kind of annoying that you can't fight Castlevania bosses in the training room.

Death is basically a non-issue for me at this point, he's never killed me once. Medusa is somehow harder than Death, which is a choice, lol.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Had this sitting in my backlog long enough and decided to give it a go. Welp, I guess I found my new digital crack after Hades and StS, having a lot of fun with it. Got my first clear after about 10 hours and 20ish runs, now I've found every level in the base game and I'll try 1BC next.

I don't have the paid dlc, but summer sale is coming soon and then I'll get all of it. I want to play every level available, especially the CV dlc. What seperates this from other roguelites so far is that I don't feel like completing a run is essential to the enjoyment. Just exploring the levels and finding new routes is a lot of fun. Like yesterday I finished the long path that brings you to the Giant and just playing through all the non-standard levels made the run feel fresh and varied.

The dlc is there to give you more pathing options instead of being standalone and that makes sense for this game. I hope Hades II does something similar in creating more pathing options throughout the run.

Also, I guess this is what you get when you support a game for this long: this feels polished AF to play.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Had this sitting in my backlog long enough and decided to give it a go. Welp, I guess I found my new digital crack after Hades and StS, having a lot of fun with it. Got my first clear after about 10 hours and 20ish runs, now I've found every level in the base game and I'll try 1BC next.

I don't have the paid dlc, but summer sale is coming soon and then I'll get all of it. I want to play every level available, especially the CV dlc. What seperates this from other roguelites so far is that I don't feel like completing a run is essential to the enjoyment. Just exploring the levels and finding new routes is a lot of fun. Like yesterday I finished the long path that brings you to the Giant and just playing through all the non-standard levels made the run feel fresh and varied.

The dlc is there to give you more pathing options instead of being standalone and that makes sense for this game. I hope Hades II does something similar in creating more pathing options throughout the run.

Also, I guess this is what you get when you support a game for this long: this feels polished AF to play.

Just buy all the DLCs, they really worth it and the devs definitely deserve it after including so many new content in the game even after years of the release. The DLCs includes new biomes, new enemies, new weapons, new skins, new bosses, so they absolutely worth the price.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just buy all the DLCs, they really worth it and the devs definitely deserve it after including so many new content in the game even after years of the release. The DLCs includes new biomes, new enemies, new weapons, new skins, new bosses, so they absolutely worth the price.
Yeah as I said I definitely will. I think Steam's summer sale is starting very soon so I'll wait til then, but if they don't get a discount there I'll just get everything at the regular price.

Think I saw a thread recently about this game selling 10 mil? That's bonkers, I'm so glad for the devs.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Bought all the dlc in the Steam sale, so much fun to play through all of it. Every new biome has been great, music is fantastic too. The track for Fractured Shrines is amazing. I wasn't able to beat Drac on my first go and the unique Lighthouse boss was also was pretty tough, so I still have plenty to go back to.

When I've finished all the dlc levels I may start trying 2BC runs again. 1BC always felt doable, but 2BC is a huge step up. You really can't mess up here.

Now that I have the full package, I have to say that this game is even better than I expected it to be. It's a metroidvania fan's wet dream. I thought I wouldn't get sucked into another roguelite rabbit hole... but it's too late now.

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
So I do love this game but how do I get the first Boss Cell; I've beaten the hand 5 times now (Nothing in the area to find). Just beaten it again and a guide said maybe in the horizontal tube at the beginning thing. No boss cells detected.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So I do love this game but how do I get the first Boss Cell; I've beaten the hand 5 times now (Nothing in the area to find). Just beaten it again and a guide said maybe in the horizontal tube at the beginning thing. No boss cells detected.
Are you using Aspects? If so, you can't get boss cells.

Currently at 3BC. Reading online 2BC is apparently a popular roadblock, but I got a win on my first try. 3BC tho... now that was a wake-up call. Felt like the real Dead Cells starts here. Rampagers, enemies have more health, elites are tougher, everything hits harder... Early game in particular is mighty scary and you really have to be careful. Will be satisfying when I manage to get a win here. Fortunately when you optimize scrolls you can still feel OP after the early areas... I just used up all my flasks by then so I have to do better in the early biomes.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
They the boost things? If so not. I did accidentally turn it on once and straight back off after. 239 hours in on this save, please let me not have to start again.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
They the boost things? If so not. I did accidentally turn it on once and straight back off after. 239 hours in on this save, please let me not have to start again.
Did you get an achievement for getting the boss cell, do you remember seeing it and picking it up? It should be at the tube, but you need to scroll, press R or something to actually activate it. And you need to do it at the very start of the run, otherwise the tube's deactivated.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this on gamepass finally, this is so good. Furthest I've got is just pass the second boss. Thinking of upgrading and getting the DLC.

Will I get the benefit of it with being a new player or should I work towards finishing the base game stuff before getting it?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Will I get the benefit of it with being a new player or should I work towards finishing the base game stuff before getting it?
I beat the game without the paid dlc, then decided to buy it when I kept going for the higher difficulties. The dlc is mainly there to add variety to your runs, so it's very welcome once you've already played through the 'base' biomes. It adds a sense of discovery, to finally get new levels when you're already familiar with all the regular content. So I'd wait a bit and add it later, but do whatever you feel like. At the end of the day it's more biomes, bosses and weapons.

I will say every dlc pack is worth it tho, the dlc biomes all have great music too.

Meanwhile, I did this:

NQu4491.jpg

Made it to 5BC, never thought I'd be able to manage. I was ready to give up at 4BC but tried a Survival run focusing on max HP with Soldier's Resistance: 40% extra HP makes a difference. Got to the final boss with all my flasks, but still had to use em all to beat him, so I still have to get a lot better at that fight to beat 5BC.

But still, making it to 5BC feels very satisfying. I've dumped 90+ hours into this game and I have no idea how that happened, just a crazy fun time. Even doing low BC runs to unwind and get some blueprints is relaxing.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game without the paid dlc, then decided to buy it when I kept going for the higher difficulties. The dlc is mainly there to add variety to your runs, so it's very welcome once you've already played through the 'base' biomes. It adds a sense of discovery, to finally get new levels when you're already familiar with all the regular content. So I'd wait a bit and add it later, but do whatever you feel like. At the end of the day it's more biomes, bosses and weapons.

I will say every dlc pack is worth it tho, the dlc biomes all have great music too.

Meanwhile, I did this:

NQu4491.jpg

Made it to 5BC, never thought I'd be able to manage. I was ready to give up at 4BC but tried a Survival run focusing on max HP with Soldier's Resistance: 40% extra HP makes a difference. Got to the final boss with all my flasks, but still had to use em all to beat him, so I still have to get a lot better at that fight to beat 5BC.

But still, making it to 5BC feels very satisfying. I've dumped 90+ hours into this game and I have no idea how that happened, just a crazy fun time. Even doing low BC runs to unwind and get some blueprints is relaxing.
Thanks. I got the DLC 😅 more variety is always good. Having an absolute blast with this, just got the furthest yet with reaching the lighthouse for the first time. The fight there is no joke.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Heya! I'm considering finally trying this game in the near future. I got the base game off PS+ Extra but i'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy the DLCs right away. Do you access them after "finishing" the main game or...? Or should I get the dlc pass + castlevania dlc for the full experience right away?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Heya! I'm considering finally trying this game in the near future. I got the base game off PS+ Extra but i'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy the DLCs right away. Do you access them after "finishing" the main game or...? Or should I get the dlc pass + castlevania dlc for the full experience right away?

I'm gonna repeat myself from above:

"I beat the game without the paid dlc, then decided to buy it when I kept going for the higher difficulties. The dlc is mainly there to add variety to your runs, so it's very welcome once you've already played through the 'base' biomes. It adds a sense of discovery, to finally get new levels when you're already familiar with all the regular content. So I'd wait a bit and add it later, but do whatever you feel like. At the end of the day it's more biomes, bosses and weapons.

I will say every dlc pack is worth it tho, the dlc biomes all have great music too."

If you buy all the dlc immediately, it's integrated into your runs and you won't even notice it, since it just gives you more options for biomes. You can go to the first area from 'Bad Seed' immediately, same with Castlevania... So if you buy the dlc straight away the game will give you a lot of biome options.

Without dlc, you'll just see greyed out areas in the biome map/overview. tbf, you already get quite a few biomes in just the vanilla version. So I'd spend some time in the base game, see if you like it, then add the dlc. There are so many biomes to play through that even if you fail a run, it can still feel worthwhile if you see a new level for the first time.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna repeat myself from above:

"I beat the game without the paid dlc, then decided to buy it when I kept going for the higher difficulties. The dlc is mainly there to add variety to your runs, so it's very welcome once you've already played through the 'base' biomes. It adds a sense of discovery, to finally get new levels when you're already familiar with all the regular content. So I'd wait a bit and add it later, but do whatever you feel like. At the end of the day it's more biomes, bosses and weapons.

I will say every dlc pack is worth it tho, the dlc biomes all have great music too."

If you buy all the dlc immediately, it's integrated into your runs and you won't even notice it, since it just gives you more options for biomes. You can go to the first area from 'Bad Seed' immediately, same with Castlevania... So if you buy the dlc straight away the game will give you a lot of biome options.

Without dlc, you'll just see greyed out areas in the biome map/overview. tbf, you already get quite a few biomes in just the vanilla version. So I'd spend some time in the base game, see if you like it, then add the dlc. There are so many biomes to play through that even if you fail a run, it can still feel worthwhile if you see a new level for the first time.
Thank you for the speedy response, I believe I'll go with your approach and enjoy the base game first. Exactly for that sense of discovery you've mentionned when I'll buy the DLCs.
I only heard good things about the game, it's about time I give it a shot.

Thanks again.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Thank you for the speedy response, I believe I'll go with your approach and enjoy the base game first. Exactly for that sense of discovery you've mentionned when I'll buy the DLCs.
I only heard good things about the game, it's about time I give it a shot.

Thanks again.
No problem. I hope you don't have other games you want to play atm bc if you like this type of game DC will grab you and won't let go. The 'one more run' energy is strong here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
No problem. I hope you don't have other games you want to play atm bc if you like this type of game DC will grab you and won't let go. The 'one more run' energy is strong here.
Heh, I have no doubt about it. I might finish one of the game i'm currently playing first juuuust in case.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Double post but I tried it for a few hours and yeaaaah I can see why people love this game. I love the mix of metroidvania and roguelite, where getting permanent runes lets you access new places in each area. I only got the vine and custom game ones for now. Finding blueprint then using some currency to slowly unlock the items so they end up in the item pools is also a great idea...i'm totally gonna see myself try to get each and everyone of them... same for the insane 150 costumes.

Creamium I followed your suggestion and decided to stick to the base game and then eventually get each DLCs over time and yes...it already sunk it's hooks in me for the "another run" factor, so i'm gonna need to finish my other game first.