• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
The first game wasn't available initially in Germany (it is available since April 2019 though) and even Dead Island 2 will be a cut version (USK 18 rating):

The USK rating of 18 years 'protects' Dead Island 2 from being indexed - nevertheless, the developers had to make some concessions to the German youth protection. According to Plaion, the 'German' version should offer "all game-relevant features of the international version" - "including the bloody zombie action according to all rules of the Schnetzel art", as it says in the announcement. However, once a zombie has been killed with axes, clubs or Molotov cocktails, it will no longer be possible to "interact" with the creatures.

This restriction also affects international players who play in online mode with a user of the USK version. In public matchmaking, only USK players can go zombie hunting with other USK players.

Source (German): https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/marketing-pr/dead-island-2-usk18-uncut-vorbestellen/

I would go for the uncut AT (Austria) version in that case, if I would be interested in buying the game ;)

Just thought it would be interesting to the German players here.

Aug 22, 2018
I thought we were past this in Germany but I guess not after all...

Edit: I looked over the matching making part on the first read, that makes it significantly worse. I wonder why this game specifically compared to the other just as violent games that have come out in recent years here?

Edit 2: Didn't know Dying Light 2 was also affected, I guess body dismemberment is a sore spot for the USK.

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
๐Ÿ
Love the USK protecting adults from naughty violent games even with an 18+ rating. They're going back to their old ways of weird rules and restrictions. You can dismember a "living" zombie no problem but once it's on the ground it's apparently too much for people to handle? Eff off. Reminds me of Far Cry 1 where ragdoll physics were disabled in the German version. Clown-level "youth protection".

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Thats so dumb. I can't remember the last time something was cut in Germany. I thought the USK chilled out in recent years, but I guess they're still dumb as fuck. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

In public matchmaking, only USK players can go zombie hunting with other USK players.
I imagine this'll hurt it most.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
USK reviewers still stuck in 2002, I see.

So dumb when you can do the same thing across numerous games but then they pick one where they go NAH, NOT YOU, YOU WILL TURN THE CHILDREN INTO SERIAL KILLERS

Kemono

โ–ฒ Legend โ–ฒ
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horrible decision from a board that is behind the times.

Almost nothing gets cencored these days anymore. Even Mortal Kombat gets through without any cuts.

Strangely they still draw the line with hacking bodies to pieces. It's a minor cut but still annoying.

I would absolutely go for an uncut version. I really ,really hope that the uncut version isn't geoblocked as other titles were in the past. One big negative of the whole online digital gaming bs is that the publisher could block the uncut version from working in germany. Nobody forces them to do that but sometimes they still did it.

I hope i can get the uncut version on pc somehow. I don't want to play the console version.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
๐Ÿ
It's not the USK thats the problem, it's the Bpjm...
The USK is the problem. Only if they refuse a rating the BPjM can go ahead and ban/index a game. Otherwise they have no say in the rating process.

Edit: In fact the BPjM/BzKJ is the only reason we're getting even this censored version because the USK refused the rating for it initially but had to give it one after the BzKJ found no basis for indexing/banning the game.

Last edited: