• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
udrDpw9.png

(Credit to Vazra for the picture, I will try to update the OT as much as possible)

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, released in February 2015, is a re-release of DOA5 for current-gen platforms from Team Ninja. More content, better graphics and continued support define this version.
Dead or Alive 5 is an accessible fighting game, with a big playable roster, hours of single player content, solid multiplayer, and a nice following.

Seems fun, what do I get if I buy the game?
  • 35 playable characters (including 2 paid DLC characters, Mai from KOF and Naotora from Samurai Warriors), 15 of those being male.
  • A story mode, an in-depth tutorial, command and combo challenges, arcade/survival/time attack modes, leaderboards...
  • Over 400 costumes to unlock freely before having to think about any DLC.
  • Dual-audio, and music tracks from DOA1 to 5!
  • Solo and tag fights, both online and offline.
  • A photo mode.
Awesome! Where can I play it?

DOA5:LR can be bought on PS4/X1 and PC, on disc or digitally, and is usually on sale for around 20£/€/$, making it a really good deal.
Keep in mind that the PC version is on a different engine (arcade version, basically in between the PS4 and PS3 version), and as such has no DLC stages nor breakable costumes.

I've heard about a Free to Play version too. Is it good?

It sure is! You get 4 characters for free, all the online content, and most of the single player content.
There's also a rotation of free characters (usually 1 or 2 every two weeks), and you can buy them individually for around 3£/$/€.
After that, you basically have the same content as the retail version.
This business model exists since the 2013 on the PS3 version, and has been a big success so far with more than 10M downloads worldwide. There's usually promotional content being offered for those milestones.

DMeXxAHUIAAGhGO.jpg

Media:
Launch trailer
DLC trailers
Mai Shiranui trailer

Useful links:
Team Ninja's twitter
Official FAQ
Steam version
Patch notes
Season Pass 1-7 descriptions

We also try to play online regularly, with PS4 lobbies being made by Shin usually during the weekend. Ask him or any regular here for more details, any skill level is welcome!

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope a more complete edition eventually drops with most content and as unlockables. Can't find the original disc these days.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Glad to see more of you back in the same place, and hopefully it'll be the case for even more later :)

Also please tell me if I forgot anything in the OT, tried to be as clear as possible, but I did that late yesterday night.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
DOA6 needs another female not Japanese. Lack of dark women yo! If VF characters are coming back then Vanessa Lewis please, pre-VF5.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Some more diversity is needed. They added a new Japanese girl to X3, so you have to wonder if they have made her with the intention of bringing her to DOA6 in the future.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once PSX passes by, NEC is the last point of hope for us this year. It's way passed time, but the hint from last year's NEC and the calling of the final season pass does indicate we could at last be getting that announcement. Fingers crossed!

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I got here too! (who the hell are you?! Yeah yeah, I rarely posted but I often followed from the shadows :P)

Time to plug best character Mila with her best collab outfit. I have a soft spot for Hikage in SK, so Mila getting her outfit was absolutely great.

lost_in_thought_by_raidergale-dbhf98s.png

I really hope I can take part in some of your lobbies eventually, even though I haven't played in months so I'm extremely rusty :)

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Mila's great :) One of the best girls. She'll be a champ of the DOA tournament someday.

Looking forward to hopefully some fresh faces in our lobbies, too! We usually play every Saturday evening/night on PS4.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mila is the best female character introduced in DOA5 era. Whatever they do with DOA6 they can take my money if Mila, Lisa and arcade endings return.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Just want to declare that I am most likely gonna be lurking this thread and occasionally posting if someone bashes Rachel or Christie.

But if a new DoA6 is announced, I'm gonna be all up in this thread!

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to declare that I am most likely gonna be lurking this thread and occasionally posting if someone bashes Rachel or Christie.

You being in favor of Rachel evens out your tastes for F.A.N.G.

landscape-1457975259-armwrestle.gif

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Man everyone is so anticipating DOA6 it'll be a dick move if it doesn't show up. Would love to join the DOA sessions I fondly remember. I know I can download core Fighters but tbh I've got too much on my plate right now.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017

Mate, Christie is awful. And Laura Bailey's rubbish accent solidifies that. Rach is alright, though.

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Mila's great :) One of the best girls. She'll be a champ of the DOA tournament someday.

Looking forward to hopefully some fresh faces in our lobbies, too! We usually play every Saturday evening/night on PS4.

Unfortunately that's the day I usually meet with my friends (mostly to play fighting games though, so I might be able to convince them to go online and take turns at the lobby :P)

As for Mila, she was totally robbed in DOA5. Both story wise and popularity wise. I do hope she'll be relevant again in DOA6, but I kinda doubt it considering the inclusion of Marie Rose and Honoka :(

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
There should be no concern about Rachel being in the game, Hayashi loves Rachel she should be fine. Mila will return because hell Brad Returned..

Hubb

Oct 27, 2017
As for Mila, she was totally robbed in DOA5. Both story wise and popularity wise. I do hope she'll be relevant again in DOA6, but I kinda doubt it considering the inclusion of Marie Rose and Honoka :(

Was anyone aside from like Kasumi not robbed in the story? Oh and hello again DoA people.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Mila is the best female character introduced in DOA5 era. Whatever they do with DOA6 they can take my money if Mila, Lisa and arcade endings return.
Mila will likely return, regardless of being nowhere near as popular as the other new female characters introduced for 5 specifically (Marie Rose, Honoka, Nyotengu). Lisa, however, seems less certain given ranking dead last in popularity, Mila being Tina's new BFF, and of course (DoA5 late story mode spoilers)
the question of whether she actually survived that lab explosion toward the end of the story.
Since we're at the "best girl" point of discussion again, may as well throw in my two cents, as I'd say this thread needs more Hitomi.

b282d23ad95a28748014dd5d7e7f8561c982f6a3-1114071.jpg

I always liked her Schoolgirl Strikers collaboration in particular, more specifically the transformation. It would've been nice to have more outfits with transformations in general, rather than destructible ones (which I never cared much for) making up the bulk of the premium DLC.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
If they go the destructible costumes route again, they need to really work on their destroyed designs. They look completely abnormal in the bits they tear up or actually leave hanging off of the girls.

I honestly can't see any of the girls not making it in at some point or other. Depends on how they approach the model of the game, such as a smaller roster and growing each year a la SF5, or their usual format of releasing a chunky starting roster and leaving a handful out until the Ultimate edition, or drip-feeding each new one as DLC. Returnees such as Leon and Ein came in DOA5U a year later, so it's possible some less popular ones might miss the initial cut, but return down the line.

I would really like to know the popularity of these characters in the West, though. I guess it wouldn't differ too much from the weird Japanese "vote", but I figure there are girls in there that would be higher up the scale compared to JP choices.

I also don't think Lisa would miss the roster anyway. Cutting the only black girl in the game wouldn't really be a positive move in the West, I don't think.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The optics of omitting Lisa would be poor with that in mind, yes. That said, I agree that the roster could also use more women with darker complexions aside from her.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. The roster is fairly diverse in the nationality sense, but with how that seems to matter little overall (e.g. Eliot originates from "Britain" (no one knows if that's England, Wales, Scotland, or wherever), but he is based in China), we could really do with some variety on the colour front.

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
I'll be pissed if they cut Lisa. Did she rank last in other polls too, or was it just the DOAX3 one? Because if it's just that, then I hope it won't be too important to them considering DOA6 wouldn't be just for Japan (presumably, anyway.)

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be pissed if they cut Lisa. Did she rank last in other polls too, or was it just the DOAX3 one? Because if it's just that, then I hope it won't be too important to them considering DOA6 wouldn't be just for Japan (presumably, anyway.)
I'm not sure I've seen any other character polls regarding DOA. Would love to know myself, too. But yeah, factoring in all of the above, it wouldn't go down well if Lisa wasn't a starting character in 6. I think the ones people are worried for are safer than we think, tbh. Mila and Lisa will be in, I'm sure of it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The DoAX3 poll specifically. I haven't seen any aside from that one myself, either.

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
The DoAX3 poll specifically. I haven't seen any aside from that one myself, either.
Well, like I said, I hope they remember that one was only for Japan. For DOAX3 I got the impression the game was made more or less only for that market, since the closest we got to a Western version was them saying they'd release an "adjusted" one, before even that was scrapped. With the mainline games usually being worldwide releases, that poll won't have too big of an impact, if we're lucky.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I'm here!

DOA6 needs another female not Japanese. Lack of dark women yo! If VF characters are coming back then Vanessa Lewis please, pre-VF5.

If DOA6 has VF characters, then Vanessa (pre-VF5 of course!) would be awesome. If they need to make space they can just throw out a shitty character like Rach-

anew.gif

Hubb

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't see any of the girls not making it in at some point or other. Depends on how they approach the model of the game, such as a smaller roster and growing each year a la SF5, or their usual format of releasing a chunky starting roster and leaving a handful out until the Ultimate edition, or drip-feeding each new one as DLC. Returnees such as Leon and Ein came in DOA5U a year later, so it's possible some less popular ones might miss the initial cut, but return down the line.

I don't see them having the starting roster of DoA6 be the same as the current DoA5 (minus the guest characters). Specially if they add some new characters. I'm sure like you said, they will either introduce more of the old characters via DLC or Ultimate editions. It will be impossible to tell until we find out what kind of model they are going for. Some characters will miss the starting roster, which and how many will probably depend on how much work they do to the models.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys and girls!
Just a question, is anyone still playing on PC or PS3?
I don't really plan on buying another ps plus sub, but I'm kinda having a hard time finding opponents on PS3 and PC now.
PC could be my firewall, I dunno .

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them having the starting roster of DoA6 be the same as the current DoA5 (minus the guest characters). Specially if they add some new characters. I'm sure like you said, they will either introduce more of the old characters via DLC or Ultimate editions. It will be impossible to tell until we find out what kind of model they are going for. Some characters will miss the starting roster, which and how many will probably depend on how much work they do to the models.
I would hazard a guess that some that missed DOA5 vanilla originally, like Leon and Ein, would miss the starting cut for 6, too. You can bet Phase and Alpha will also be absent, probably Raidou. They've added characters since then that you just cannot imagine being absent from the start now, though, such as Marie, Honoka, and Momiji. Rachel might be someone more at risk of missing out to begin with. But it means they either need to think about cutting others in order to keep the new popular aforementioned ones, or come out with one of their biggest starting rosters to date. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Hi guys and girls!
Just a question, is anyone still playing on PC or PS3?
I don't really plan on buying another ps plus sub, but I'm kinda having a hard time finding opponents on PS3 and PC now.
PC could be my firewall, I dunno .
I think you might struggle to find opponents on either platform, tbh.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played any DOA in the last few days, i really need to get back to training.

Also does Core Fighters require PS+? If not you could at least play some matches thru that version, kageroo