• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully you can just remove Lisa's mask.

They could have given Mila a bit more elaborate costume. With her regular outfit being a pretty normal MMA outfit her wrestling one being so basic is kinda boring

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Bayman's really insecure about taking his shirt off in the pool, that's why he always wore a scuba suit. I thought he just liked scuba but the truth's come out.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Seriously, how are you guys going to thank me, for going on this months long crusade for navels for you?

C0n.gif

Bless you!

I like the Bass one. And Hayabusa/Hayates.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re: the pro wrestling costumes:

I like the majority, although most of the guys look like they're gonna do MMA instead of puroresu, Kasumi looks weird with the face mask, and Bayman...uh? Maybe if it was some kind of wrasslin' themed shirt, but as-is it just looks weird.

Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to music excited to play the deluxe demo... music stops

Ffs. Still no spotify......

Come the fuck on Team Ninja

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone who is playing the deluxe demo on PS4 Pro take a look at the differences of performance mode and graphics mode please? I'd really like to know if there are even any visual improvements when you compromise on framerate. Resolution they say stays 1080p, but then I expect some other visual improvements.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone who is playing the deluxe demo on PS4 Pro take a look at the differences of performance mode and graphics mode please? I'd really like to know if there are even any visual improvements when you compromise on framerate. Resolution they say stays 1080p, but then I expect some other visual improvements.
I can when I get home, but thats not for 6 hours

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hayabusa actually looks handsome without a mask for a change. He didn't look too hot without it the previous game.

His face improved a lot in DOA6 over his ugly mug in DOA5. I don't know if they actually remodelled stuff or if it is just the new textures, shaders and lighting, but he looks a lot more pleasing to the eye:

47177587291_2d1443406a_o.png

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Huh, that's interesting, there's a Graphics/Performance option on base PS4 as well.

I've played a couple of matches online and only won one, I'm super rusty. Good to see they fixed navels for DLC outfits but... the issue is still there for the standard ones :P

E5AAGa5.png

As an aside, when will TN learn that antialiasing is a thing?

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's interesting, there's a Graphics/Performance option on base PS4 as well.

I've played a couple of matches online and only won one, I'm super rusty. Good to see they fixed navels for DLC outfits but... the issue is still there for the standard ones :P

E5AAGa5.png

Well, did you try out graphics mode to see what it actually improves?

The old models they will probably not fix, but at least all models going forward... Still shaking my head why this even happened in the first place. As a character artist it should part of your job to know basic anatomy. As a human being you should know humans usually come with navels, lol.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Well the deluxe demo description clearly states online lobbies will be available, but they are greyed out when I try to use them. Has anybody heard anything about that? Downloaded this to see how online works with my friends but no dice if this thing only allows ranked fights.

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Well, did you try out graphics mode to see what it actually improves?

The old models they will probably not fix, but at least all models going forward... Still shaking my head why this even happened in the first place. As a character artist it should part of your job to know basic anatomy. As a human being you should know humans usually come with navels, lol.

Unfortunately due to lack of time I had to cut my play session short, but I can try in about 1h and take screenshots to compare

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
i'm super rusty but really glad that my muscle memory for Ayane since Doa4 still kinda works.
I never tried the last game but this game for me looks pretty and i'm having lots of fun.

Had some really fun and tense fights.

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Graphics mode on base PS4 is a resolution boost + maybe better texture filtering? (looking at it it's probably due to the increased resolution rather than actual additional samples though)

Action 1 Graphics 1
Action 2 Graphics 2
Action 3 Graphics 3

Performance doesn't feel that great in Graphics mode, Action mode is definitely recommended unless you only want to take prettier screenshots :P

Wow, clear difference, but that is base PS4, right? I'm wondering if PS4 Pro would get a resolution boost since that one website claimed it would not go over 1080p on PS4 Pro. Which is weird, since all other versions seem to get a resolution boost, even base consoles, which is very unusual.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Yeah, even on Xbox One X, the performance take a big hit, training stage was good but 3 other stages weren't good.

It's just for pics and if you want to check it out.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
With some of the performance hiccups, I'm leaning towards PC but it still feels like a gamble.

The hit stun effects on Throwdown were so wild - you can get thrown into the crowd to get combo-ed endlessly if your counters are not spot on. And the drop in Forbidden Fortune is so cramped, using some of the slower and more well timed attacks are often met with a blitz of strikes as you're bouncing off the walls or thrown into the fire explosions.

Having a blast, the new Fatal Rush/Breaking blow mechanics add a layer of complexity that'll take a while for me to get used to.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think the deluxe costumes look great :)
The male ones look a bit of variety, but it's the same issue for pro wrestlers in the real world sadly.

Time to try the demo now!

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As much as I love Giantbomb, it has always annoyed me slightly how they have so little understanding or care for how the DOA games work. Jeff/Jason for being such big fighting game fans have no understanding of even basic concepts, such as a rising attack, its disappointing
I've made this same observation at the old forum but specific to SFV and people dogpiled on me for it. The GB dudes barely know the basics of fighting games.

Jan 11, 2018
Even Eliot's wrestling gear isn't skimpy or sexy enough :( I am not happy with Eliot's lack of a fan service alternate costume.

Isn't all of that gear DLC as well? Generally speaking it just feels like they dropped all pretence of this ever having any intentions of being seen as more "serious" and doubled down on sexy costumes for the female characters, while they just more or less forgot to do anything with the male ones except downgrade them.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To update everyone here as well, we've been comparing performance and graphics mode of PS4 Pro directly in the other thread and there seems to be no noticable visual difference. That really sucks, because all other console versions get a noticable boost, Xbox One X even gets a boost to 4K.
I knew something was fishy when they were so non-descript and vague about the Pro enhancements and when there is actually no icon for any Pro enhancements on the box.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Well the deluxe demo description clearly states online lobbies will be available, but they are greyed out when I try to use them. Has anybody heard anything about that? Downloaded this to see how online works with my friends but no dice if this thing only allows ranked fights.
They stopped including that on their social media posts, so....

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Hmmm

Probably just a way to team up and after the match the next player in the team plays

Really want that Nyo outfit..
Like come on she is a day one character they really could have added her wrestling outfit to the deluxe version as well...

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Pretty sure that outfit will be in with her other default costumes, not separate.

For tag, really doubt it considering what they've said multiple times. Will likely be in the PS5/X4 version though.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The last DOA game I seriously got into was 4. I loved that game. I'm not a great fighting game guy, so I took Ryu and learned all his moves and mained him. I miss those days.

Off the bat, I have to say, 6 looks GORGEOUS, its subtle but the shading and look of the characters look great. It looks more toned down in terms of its "anime" look.

Since I haven't kept up with the game in ages, the changes to the combat seem pretty cool. Special moves and all, I'm impressed.

Played 2 matches online with Ryu and won both matches.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I've made this same observation at the old forum but specific to SFV and people dogpiled on me for it. The GB dudes barely know the basics of fighting games.
That "scientific ranking of fighting games" thread made it abundantly clear how this forum also reacts to anyone who dares to criticize Giant Bomb (or even just not find them all that funny).

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe explain what we're looking at here? Looks to me like a juggle with some cancels doing normal juggle damage. So what am I missing that rebukes my claim that throws are strong in this game?

EDIT: For clarification, I didn't play DOA5 after the first Vanilla patch. So anything Phase-4 does is completely new to me.

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Maybe explain what we're looking at here? Looks to me like a juggle with some cancels doing normal juggle damage.
You need me to explain what's wrong with infinites?

So what am I missing that rebukes my claim that throws are strong in this game?
Tina's 41236T has a 16 frame startup; meaning it's impossible to high-counter throw someone on reaction to a whiffed counter, it has to have been a hard read/prediction. In that instance, a grappler absolutely deserves to be rewarded.

I want to see strikers' throw damage reduced though.