• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Good video about the wall game, with bits from Master's stream.

Well I didn't know, since they edited it since :p

The usual tip like all new fighting games and betas: try all characters even those you think you won't like, and don't take it too seriously since it's a beta.
For DOA, what Azuardo said, and remember that some characters have some way stronger hold game (like Bayman), and all have pretty different stats, more than other games, despite all having similar tools for the most part. DOA is really not too different from other fighting games, and the "you just have to guess" thing is overplayed. Think about delaying some of your combos and cutting them short to vary it a bit and confuse your opponent. If an opponent focuses on something, use the rock-paper-scissor system to your advantage (spam the same move = hold, spam hold = throw, poor defense = attack, etc).

I've read that the best way to punish is to throw? Is that accurate?

Also what do the different Hold stats among characters mean? Does that refer to the damage they get off a Hold?

Kuksune

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden
So with the beta on the way, any advice for a DoA noob?
Download the free version of doa5lr first and go through the tutorials, they aren't that hard and it will maybe take you 1 hour to complete. Then try some characters in combo challenges to get a feel for some characters. That way, when the beta is released you have a basic understanding of the systems.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Download the free version of doa5lr first and go through the tutorials, they aren't that hard and it will maybe take you 1 hour to complete. Then try some characters in combo challenges to get a feel for some characters. That way, when the beta is released you have a basic understanding of the systems.
heh I've actually done this already.

Yet I've only ever played one actual fight lol. I should uh...probably fix that.

Don't play on your phone while in bed.
It's ok. I got DBFZ instead.

Vx6QMUS.jpg

not my pic

...or is it?

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Team Ninja shared a 2 seconds (lol) clip of what I assume is from a story mode cutscene:

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there's some sort of quest mode where you can perhaps earn stars to purchase new gear etc? Just speculating based on a recent screen TN posted from Bayman Shimbori's mission around the world. Guess we'll see what sort of unique quests they put in, but with over 90 listed there, there must be some variety. After how Smash does unique missions, I definitely welcome this kind of thing!

DwiMcomU0AAahS1.jpg

https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1083270147471597568

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That looks pretty cool. Probably a way to earn Zack Bucks as well.

Would be neat if they had unique stories to 'em, even if its just a bit of text or something.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
DOA Quest somehow reminds me of Virtua Fighter.
Maybe fights with specific conditions to check you know well how to do something?
I also wouldn't be surprised if there's weekly challenges in there.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
If TN wanted to sell male fanservice DLC, they need to do a full Gachimuchi themed outfit pack. It'd have huge crossover appeal.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
Launchers are better than throws though right if you can punish with that?
This is generally not the case in DoA, mainly for two reasons:

1) Moves that launch on normal hit tend to not be very fast (15-16 frames at the minimum), and your slowest, most damaging throw typically has about 10 frames of start-up. While there are a lot of moves that are unsafe on block in DoA, there isn't that much that's so unsafe that you can launch punish it directly. So it's like VF in that regard, except...
2) The launch height on raw normal hit launchers is garbage and generally doesn't lead to much in the way of juggles. Note that this does not apply to launchers during a critical stun, as the level of the critical stun itself can also affect the launch height, so you can still get a full launch even if you start with a normal hit.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Shimbori is adorable, lol:

Dwi4ZHEUUAUjbCd.jpg

And I know I sound like a broken record, but you all will be creeped out by your fanservice costumes, when all male characters look like weird, navelless androids or aliens in them. I won't unlock and certainly not buy a single one of those until they fixed that.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an open beta? Need preorder code? Invite only? I missed all the details of someone can help me out.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the official DOA sites not promoting the beta? They hyped up the (supposed) hiatus announcement of the DOA series at NEC 2017, and they hyped up the delay announcement of DOA6, but they don't say a word about a good thing like a game beta that is downloadable right now.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Why are the official DOA sites not promoting the beta? They hyped up the (supposed) hiatus announcement of the DOA series at NEC 2017, and they hyped up the delay announcement of DOA6, but they don't say a word about a good thing like a game beta that is downloadable right now.
They want to do a surprise reveal, they're just teasing it now.

(this is their pinned tweet)
and

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They want to do a surprise reveal, they're just teasing it now.

(this is their pinned tweet)
and

Knowing Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo this sounds more like something bad is about to happen, like DOA6 being cancelled altogether, lol.

KT Europe's Twitter rules though. That page and whoever runs it is hilarious.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Chin was cool and did a good job, but the new person is doing great and brought their own style to the table too.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Launchers are better than throws though right if you can punish with that?

DOA does not work like traditional fighting games. While 90% of the attacks in DOA are unsafe (not an exaggeration), most of them are -12 or better. As others have mentioned, launchers are generally too slow to use as block punishment, and even jabs and other attacks are useless because you don't get much in the way of frame adv, and they generally don't stun on normal hit.

Neutral throws are i5, while the fastest command throws are i7 and the most damaging throws are generally i12. Grapplers have throws one frame faster than non-grapplers. Moves are considered unsafe at -7 since you can buffer a neutral throw break into your attack.

If you check out DOA5LR frame data, you'll see that basically every character is -7 or worse on 90% of their move set, but very few attacks are worse than -12 to -15 or so.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
My internet is too slow so will check tomorrow (probably impossible to play until they say it in a tweet anyway), but would be cool to see what is the title screen, and what are the characters available :p
We'll have details tomorrow, but presumably through Sunday.

Also, why no sound on the Twitter videos? I don't understand.
My guess is that they want them to be just like gifs on the timeline, just with a better quality.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Available to download on UK store now. Couldn't download from the PSN store website, but could do through the store on PS4 console.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Wasn't there a leak purporting a DOA6 demo/beta would drop on the 11th? I'm pretty sure its the 11th in Japan right now and there is no demo. Myth busted?

EDIT: Never mind, i'm an idiot and didn't see new posts. I'm subscribed to this thread but it seems like the alerts on new posts stop working after a few days.