• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
zl9jp.jpg

Having so much fun in the beta.

Ayane looks awesome.

Also got the bug one time where i played as my opponent.

Been playing with 4+ connection and still have some lag/slowdown.

Well, will still buy this since i only playing for offline stuff

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kasumi's hair is of noticably worse quality and detail than in DOA5:

u57avb4d9q8jmotzg.jpg

kw3zktz2xmabaxlzg.jpg

dwadcf4wa9ktl33zg.jpg

I noticed similar drop in quality on other characters, like Hayate and Ayane.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Kasumi's hair is of noticably worse quality and detail than in DOA5:

u57avb4d9q8jmotzg.jpg

kw3zktz2xmabaxlzg.jpg

dwadcf4wa9ktl33zg.jpg

I noticed similar drop in quality on other characters, like Hayate and Ayane.
Aside from the texture on the top of her head, the only real difference I'm seeing is that it's brighter, which may be color change or just lighting model. I'm not calling shenanigans on this quite yet.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, looks pretty much identical, except the bottom one, which has those blemishes that need fixing. Just the lighting/colour change mainly makes it look different.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

So how's the lag? Some ppl on youtube are whining about lag.

The netcode is better than DOA5, but I'd say it's worse than SC6, which isn't good. I do like the fact that it tells you if you're up against a LAN connection or wifi.

I need to play more, and with characters I actually use, but right now I find the netcode improved, but still a bit lacking. I have my connection set to 4+ for reference.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just the lighting and artistic choices...?

6cl151kcwc2dja1zg.jpg

Apart from the brighter tone and the weird artifacts the textures are clearly warped and blurrier on the right side.

I want to also remind us that 6 years and one console generation lies between these two assets. Even if you say just the lighting and artistic choices changed and they look equally good, isn't that a big disappointment too? Shouldn't there at least be a slight improvement?

Last edited:

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
You can argue for wanting something better, but it doesn't look worse, tbh.

I dunno. If we're focusing on hair, I'd like to see new styles. Curls and buns, pls.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Variable, even at 4 or 5 bars. A 1-bar match (that the game said would be 5) was my worst unsurprisingly, but I could still play. Thought I might get stuck on the loading screen after the first round, but it loaded eventually.
The netcode is better than DOA5, but I'd say it's worse than SC6, which isn't good. I do like the fact that it tells you if you're up against a LAN connection or wifi.

I need to play more, and with characters I actually use, but right now I find the netcode improved, but still a bit lacking. I have my connection set to 4+ for reference.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to try it tomorrow. I have always trouble with matchmaking on my connection so I'll see how it goes in this.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
I'mma be 100% honest with you Tyaren, I legit don't expect shit from Team Ninja now that Itagaki is gone. I've given up the possibility of being disappointed over the inevitable subpar presentation a long time ago. Make peace with reality

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Just the lighting and artistic choices...?

6cl151kcwc2dja1zg.jpg

Apart from the brighter tone and the weird artifacts the textures are clearly warped and blurrier on the right side.

I want to also remind us that 6 years and one console generation lies between these two assets. Even if you say just the lighting and artistic choices changed and they look equally good, isn't that a big disappointment too? Shouldn't there at least be a slight improvement?
They are using a new engine right? Guess they are really working out the kinks still. But damn that does look worse.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They are using a new engine right? Guess they are really working out the kinks still. But damn that does look worse.

Thanks, I thought I was going crazy with everyone else saying it looks the same. :)
I am usually not one to cry downgrade quickly. I am usually the one who tells people it is just the lighting, a different angle or image compression playing tricks on their eyes, like today with Nyotengu. This however is clearly a visible decrease in quality and that from an older generation to a newer one even.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Didn't know this was out and downloaded it immediately when I got home. Played a few matches. I played a lot of DOA but never enough to call myself serious. I do know some shit tho so I was working my way through the matches seeing how much I could get away with it.

My first and only impression so far is that this game feels nice. It's been awhile since I last did DOA5, but man, Idk. Something feels good. It feels more deliberate than previous games. The damage isn't crazy and the timing on holds seems a bit more strict.

I'm digging this so far more than SC6. I had my reservations on SC6 since it's beta and ultimately the game wound up disappointing me. DOA6 has me excited tho. I can't wait to try out some of my mains.

I want in.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this was out and downloaded it immediately when I got home. Played a few matches. I played a lot of DOA but never enough to call myself serious. I do know some shit tho so I was working my way through the matches seeing how much I could get away with it.

My first and only impression so far is that this game feels nice. It's been awhile since I last did DOA5, but man, Idk. Something feels good. It feels more deliberate than previous games. The damage isn't crazy and the timing on holds seems a bit more strict.

I'm digging this so far more than SC6. I had my reservations on SC6 since it's beta and ultimately the game wound up disappointing me. DOA6 has me excited tho. I can't wait to try out some of my mains.

I want in.
Yeah, it feels great. I just want to mess around in training and the other modes. This beta is teasing us. March 1st can't come soon enough...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always forget how much fun I have with DOA until I start playing DOA again. Picked up the game and started playing with Ryu doing all his old combos from memory and I havent touched a DOA game since like.... 2015.

Game is solid as fuck. Now can't wait until I get to play as Marie and really whoop ass.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
like today with Nyotengu

Nah they absolutely messed with her makeup and if they didn't outright change her eyes they still decided to not have the character at all express herself how she did before. She looks worse. Add the plastic look the new engine and lighting gives the character and Nyo is a 100% downgrade.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah they absolutely messed with her makeup and if they didn't outright change her eyes they still decided to not have the character at all express herself how she did before. She looks worse. Add the plastic look the new engine and lighting gives the character and Nyo is a 100% downgrade. They took away her very distinctive look
So you getting the game? You sound super happy about it.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nah they absolutely messed with her makeup and if they didn't outright change her eyes they still decided to not have the character at all express herself how she did before. She looks worse. Add the plastic look the new engine and lighting gives the character and Nyo is a 100% downgrade.

I do understand why you feel she looks worse. In the announcement trailer she lacked that cold, haughty expression she usually has. Instead she made big doe eyes and her eyebrows were raised. That did make her look pretty different. That might only be the case in that specific cutscene though. She didn't even in Japanese sound as haughty as usual, maybe because she's actually impressed, even taken in by Ryu Hayabusa who managed to kill Tengu.

In this promo screenshot her expression is close to her usual one, as well as her makeup:

GkMNj7h.jpg

I do agree on the lighting though. I don't like it. It makes the game look kinda garish and plasticy.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Nobody is saying the top of her hair looks the same or better, we all seem to agree that it looks like some texture problem, whether it be compression or a glitch, but the other two pieces you showed earlier really do just look like lighting and color/art changes and that's it.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And so Nyotengu and Phase 4 join the roster in the OP:

vrvtl533xkfv350zg.jpg
co6dipsjzyuh8bfzg.jpg

tenor.gif

If we believe the leaks there will be one last character completing the roster...

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just the fact that I don't have any characters I play with, and don't know the properties of all the attacks, but sidestep feels very much toned down from the TGS build. Definitely not a good sign if that's the case.

Also, I now decline all wifi connections. Sorry, not sorry.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Not really digging ranked being a single match. Feels so awkward not being at least best of 3.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wait, it's saying the difference between wired and wireless connections? Where is it?
Not really digging ranked being a single match. Feels so awkward not being at least best of 3.
Isn't that how it works in all fighting games online nowadays?
That's how I remember it in SC6, DOA5 and SFV at least (just saying games I've played recently).

Kuksune

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden
Finally at home so i can try this out. I'm getting pretty good connections on my matches.There's a little input delay, but that's to be expected when playing online.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's saying the difference between wired and wireless connections? Where is it?

That's how I remember it in SC6, DOA5 and SFV at least (just saying games I've played recently).

SC6 is first to 3. Tekken 7 you can rematch up to... 5 I think? Been awhile, but I know it's more than one match.

Didn't someone ask the director about the navels directly?

I asked. He was unaware and said he'd look into it. Master has also brought this up to him.

I miss the old way to sidestep....

It's... the... same...?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Right? Maybe I don't play enough FGs... The very least DOA6 could do, however, is offer a rematch option.
SC6 and SFV offer rematches up to best of 3.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
SC6 is first to 3. Tekken 7 you can rematch up to... 5 I think? Been awhile, but I know it's more than one match.
Yeah as said above, I understand if you meant rematches. It really should be the case.
I understood it as ranked not working with a single match (which is wrong, since you can quit those games after one match and still be ranked after each).

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay. I usually just play a match and move on even when a rematch option is available in some FGs, so never thought of it as a "best of" thing before.

Yeah as said above, I understand if you meant rematches. It really should be the case.
Yeah, referring to it as rematches makes more sense to me. Guess it's something we should all put in the survey, at least.

It's... the... same...?
You have the option in previous DOA to double tap up or down to sidestep, too. That's how I always did it in 5. Not possible in 6.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Welp, I'm an idiot.
Downloaded the beta overnight expecting to play it this morning. It would be the first PS4 game I've played since Soulcalibur VI, as I got an XB1X recently that's been eating up all my time. Haven't touched the PS4 in months, it'll be good to dust it off and get into a fighting game again!

Booted the game up, get to character select and... "buy PS+ now"
Fuck, forgot about that, had to cancel when I got the XB1, made no sense to pay for them both at once.

Oh well, at least I got to look at some character models and listen to some music for a few minutes. Hope everybody is enjoying the beta!

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
After getting more used to the game, I think the sidestep is still the way it was, but maybe the lowered the damage a bit? The way it is now it definitely should not be unsafe.

Netcode is acceptable in a 4-5 bar connection, wired. Anything else is meh. Up to a 14-game win streak at the moment (with Diego), but it would be higher if the game wasn't crashing as much as it is. I've had maybe 5 matches out of 30 crash.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
This is the worst beta I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Hope it helps them improve before launch.