• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Tina did a sex scene for a movie she was in (which caused Bass to crash his motorcycle during a race). And Christie is so not a virgin. But, they probably don't "count" since they're "old" and in their mid-20s. lol
Gotta love how I considered Helena one of the more mature girls and I lauged when I learned she was only 23 in DoA6. Christie is 26, somebody bring on the Christmas Cake jokes, the woman's a senior citizen by JP game standards!

Oct 25, 2017
Your argument would hold water if it wasnt because:

1) Sophitia was created years ago in an era before Japanese otaku cared about this shit like they do now. Before moe blobs and waifus were a thing. It was such an entirely different situation that led Namco to think they could make their postergirl a wife and a mother, something thats unthinkable for a mdern JP fighting game!

2) they eventually did ditch Sophitia once she got too old due to a time skip and got replaced by her virginal body doubl-- I mean daughter in SC5. We never see her on screen because she must be like 40 now and we cant have that on a Japanese fighting game!

and

3) they rebooted the entire franchise and went back to square one with SC6 and they undid Sophitia's marriage and motherhood and is now back to being an early 20 something hot as hell virginal girl.

So no, Sophitia is not a good example.
Yeah after I posted it I thought about 2 and 3- but did anyone other than whatever moron directs the SC's series direction like this care about it before that?

Aug 26, 2018
日本
We never see her on screen because she must be like 40 now and we cant have that on a Japanese fighting game!
Or...because she died immediately after SC4.

they rebooted the entire franchise and went back to square one with SC6 and they undid Sophitia's marriage and motherhood and is now back to being an early 20 something hot as hell virginal girl.
She literally gets married again in SC6, and her relationship to Rothion is expressly stated before that. There's enough to critique about Japan's otaku culture without misrepresenting stuff.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or...because she died immediately after SC4.

She literally gets married again in SC6, and her relationship to Rothion is expressly stated before that. There's enough to critique about Japan's otaku culture without misrepresenting stuff.
Did she die after SC4? Anyway the fact is she got written out once a time Skip was coming because of course! And didn't SC5's end boss was basically a young Sophitia? Now that you mention that she's dead it must've been her body that of course was kept young from when she was killed wasn't she? That's what I call having your cake and eating it too.

If what you say in SC6 is correct then I did get that part wrong. Sophitia is one big exception to the rule though. Still doesn't explain why we get one woman who gets married and is a mother while the other 346 female characters are pure virgins who never marry or have boyfriends.

Has even Ivy been confirmed to ever had a romantic partner whatsoever?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Did she die after SC4? Anyway the fact is she got written out once a time Skip was coming because of course! And didn't SC5's end boss was basically a young Sophitia? Now that you mention that she's dead it must've been her body that of course was kept young from when she was killed wasn't she? That's what I call having your cake and eating it too.
Yes she died after IV, hence why she wasn't around to raise either Patroklos or Pyrrha, and why they turned out so poorly, their father having died as well (and Cassandra couldn't take care of them either because of yet another dumbass story decision related to V in that she had been trapped in the alternate dimension Astral Chaos for the past 17 years). Elysium was nothing more than Soul Calibur itself mimicking Sophitia's form to manipulate Patroklos.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes she died after IV, hence why she wasn't around to raise either Patroklos or Pyrrha, and why they turned out so poorly, their father having died as well (and Cassandra couldn't take care of them either because of yet another dumbass story decision related to V in that she had been trapped in the alternate dimension Astral Chaos for the past 17 years). Elysium was nothing more than Soul Calibur itself mimicking Sophitia's form to manipulate Patroklos.
Mimicking Sophitia's scantily clad form from when she was still young of course.

I remember laughing at all the excuses to write off all the women from the franchise who got too old after the time sink and those who managed to stay somehow managed to make their bodies stop aging like Ivy because #reasons. So yeah of course Cassandra has to be given the boot as well.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That time skip was one of the most idiotic decisions in the history of the franchise (even dumber when the director, who's no longer with Bamco, apparently admitted that going with such a massive jump was entirely arbitrary). Didn't think I needed to clarify that I resent both it and the ousting of most of the female characters for getting too old.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That time skip was one of the most idiotic decisions in the history of the franchise (even dumber when the director, who's no longer with Bamco, apparently admitted that going with such a massive jump was entirely arbitrary). Didn't think I needed to clarify that I resent both it and the ousting of most of the female characters for getting too old.
A time skip by itself isn't bad. It's the execution that was preposterous. They did everything wrong.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Mimicking Sophitia's scantily clad form from when she was still young of course.
She died at 25.

I remember laughing at all the excuses to write off all the women from the franchise who got too old after the time sink and those who managed to stay somehow managed to make their bodies stop aging like Ivy because #reasons.
At least the not aging due to Soul Edge was established long before with Ivy's father Cervantes, who should've been 90-ish at the very beginning of the series but froze when he got the sword. And Maxi, Raphael, Voldo, and Kilik froze in time from being tainted as well. One would think Taki was also tainted, but she got replaced anyway. Hilde managed to slide under the gate at 35, so good for her.

Now, Tekken, they pulled some real nonsense to keep Nina and Anna from aging. lol

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, apologies not been following the thread that closely but I hope it's alright to ask....

I haven't played DoA properly since 2, but fancying this one my concern is online community though - ideally I'd buy the game on PC, but I'm worried the community will sway towards PS4.

What's the consensus here then? PS4 or PC?

Thanks

I decided on PS4 in the end.

Nov 21, 2017
Anyone know why my PC version frequently gets stuck on startup? Either the splash screen remains on top of every other window permanently, or I get the DOA6 appear on the taskbar, but no window actually appears. My CPU usage also goes through the roof. If I wait for a full minute it tends to startup, but this must be a bug of some sort.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know why my PC version frequently gets stuck on startup? Either the splash screen remains on top of every other window permanently, or I get the DOA6 appear on the taskbar, but no window actually appears. My CPU usage also goes through the roof. If I wait for a full minute it tends to startup, but this must be a bug of some sort.
I've never had this issue... maybe reinstall the game?

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I was poking around in the original Model 2 DOA1 to see if I could find any beta or leftover stuff and I ended up finding the spot in memory that controls your selected character slot. The final arcade release has 13 character slots with 4 of them being cut (DOA1's initial pitch had 12 planned characters and ironically only 2 were female)- if you try to load the cut characters some parts do load but most of their files and other references are missing and it seems like the game defaults to character slot 00 (i.e. Zack) to fill in the blanks. (I'm speculating on the technical side as I don't actually know what's going on under the hood.) So, that screenshot above is actually character slot 0A, which is a cut version of Raidou apparently? It loads Zack's model but not his accessories, probably because his accessories (glasses) are specific to him and separate objects with separate calls.

Raidou the boss, is one slot higher at 0B and is completely playable and even has an icon for the ranking screen, a complete credits outro, a second outfit, and win and lose poses. Raidou was just a regular character until the decided to change him into a boss at some point in development - he initially was called Fondei and was proposed to use Tai Chi.

Lei-Fang came after the fact, that's why she's the very last character in the game with slot 0C (see list below). The time frame of events is kind of weird because Leifang and Fondei were together on one of the earliest ever promotional posters. So I'm really curious as to what movesets both of those characters actually used in-game at that time. Lei-Fang's predecessor was a Chinese female named Ryuhen Hua (龍麗華) that used Chinese Kenpo martial arts.

Code:
DOA1 Character IDs
00    "Zack",
01    "Tina",
02    "Jann Lee",
03    *BETA "TINA",
04    "Ryu Hayabusa",
05    "Kasumi",
06    "Gen-Fu",
07    *BETA "CHAMPION",
08    "Bayman",
09    *BETA "BLANK",
0A    *BETA "RAIDOU",
0B    "Raidou",
0C    "Lei-Fang",
The cut characters' slot names were blanked out in the Playstation port (not sure about Saturn): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpR8pRQV4AEK1xy.jpg
Bass, proposed in the very first pitch, took slot 09 in the PSX ver (presumably that was his slot initially before he was cut because Ayane, a brand new character, was given the new slot 0D after Lei-Fang).

I feel the most interesting slot is 07 aka "Champion" - I "think" it's Kelly's moveset, which is a beta Zack moveset and is kind of playable but kind of funky: https://youtu.be/fLf5aiFkJhI
It's super early and think Team Ninja had yet to decide on a methodology for the buttons inputs - you know how we have HPK and a PPPPP string is all punches? Well, I think before P and K were Punch and Kick they were just seen as "action" buttons. Like, Champion's PP is Zack's PK for example.

Anyway, here are two twitter threads where I posted more pics and info: https://twitter.com/ryu_highabusa/status/1048369924517707776 and https://twitter.com/ryu_highabusa/status/1050576264556236800
I'd post more but this is a DOA6 thread, not a DOA general or beta thread and I'm already pushing it. Actually, here's the Cheat Engine cheat table I've created: https://www.mediafire.com/file/v0l6y3ylyjzd9dj/DOAAemulator_multicpu.CT/file#
I've found the values and have to recalculate each time I open up a new instance (search for lifebar: 160 is the default health against the CPU, 200 is the default in a 2P game) but I'm not sure how to figure out the whole pointer/disassembly situation so I could make a usable code/script for the M2 emulator or Mame. If anybody could help that'd be wonderful... Also, someone else on Twitter found a debug mode that I haven't been able to access yet myself but it's there waiting to be unlocked.
Did uh anyone perhaps save any of the images from this thread? I had a harddrive crash and got twitter banned so I've lost all my research. ;_;

edit: sorry for the bump ya'll, on the brighter side, I did find one of my graphics so I posted it on the man's FB and asked him to share any early DOA1 stories

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, it's almost June, so I assume we'll get info on who the second KOF character is, right? My guesses are either Athena Asamiya due to her variety of outfits, Angel or Shermie because big breasts or Blue Mary because she's fairly popular. Alternatively, I guess they could also go with Nakoruru because she was in XIV and it can tie in to Samurai Shodown.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Well, it's almost June, so I assume we'll get info on who the second KOF character is, right? My guesses are either Athena Asamiya due to her variety of outfits, Angel or Shermie because big breasts or Blue Mary because she's fairly popular. Alternatively, I guess they could also go with Nakoruru because she was in XIV and it can tie in to Samurai Shodown.
All the discussion about it is in the OT now :p
The character got datamined in the PC version and it's Kula

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so let's pretend my spaceship just crashed on Earth. There are people on this planet that are outraged if a fictional character has a fictional relationship with another fictional character ?

Somebody fix my damn hyperdrive right now.