• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
logo.png

Welcome to the Offical Dead or Alive 6 Discussion Thread. :)

The 6th iteration of the Dead or Alive fighting game series was announced on E3 2018 to everyone's big surprise. The game is scheduled to release March 1st 2019 on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Announcement trailer:

Characters revealed:

153fzd7pccsz85izg.jpg
1haaankb42apqnrzg.jpg
uo926pzm7kv11x6zg.jpg

k3dxqd5k98dmxr0zg.jpg
wp2v62z8ohpw0zrzg.jpg
14vdx2fxyidqxjdzg.jpg

wwxxnotevrt9cw7zg.jpg
5zbupmoo3p1lh57zg.jpg
9c7pba75you562kzg.jpg

5q5279nlxub6be1zg.jpg
048949s1wf2nddlzg.jpg
oxpdjco6sogj3bbzg.jpg

w6867218xe7fr66zg.jpg
9dhlsch8lv1uxw1zg.jpg
0zn0abz291m6pnpzg.jpg

077eugwp297sqaszg.jpg
fxrwbntalgpe0m8zg.jpg
zr9z2ofcpzs7121zg.jpg

h2m0i9fh63vd4sqzg.jpg
jqp1v3k875hjhzxzg.jpg
tuqq8gi6hprvsmxzg.jpg

zlcg8aamuddm59yzg.jpg
cu69bxnolawqhhhzg.jpg
ae4qlb75rjvijd3zg.jpg

vrvtl533xkfv350zg.jpg
co6dipsjzyuh8bfzg.jpg

Stages revealed:

06jppb0n6pqnbcyzg.jpg
qqk0424q6npmqvjzg.jpg
oewfg48s2xb5z0pzg.jpg

fnec4r02oik6x55zg.jpg
m0bk7vuiu6m7ttjzg.jpg
d4hdmu1xxr6ba6tzg.jpg

y11c30acvj1l0kfzg.jpg
sk7os0zr25a05o3zg.jpg
0iq9q797mprp0g0zg.jpg

pdtrar442abg4nszg.jpg
ofwe4ptud4u2ct6zg.jpg
kcrbljjvc9yaa4rzg.jpg

ttlezqmpks5a89rzg.jpg

Preorder breakdown:

DwP38n8UUAA4xiy.jpg

Links to check out:

DOA6 official website:http://teamninja-studio.com/doa6/us/
DOA6 Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/838380/DEAD_OR_ALIVE_6/

Last edited:

Kuksune

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden
I really like the character select screen. I'm a little worried that the screen will get crowded really fast. But They will figure it out i hope.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to have a discussion thread back. Select Screens look great! But the recolors should be put elsewhere...

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the new, stylish and popping aesthetic of the DOA6 menus. I like it a lot more than the dark, gritty, urban aesthetic that DOA5 was going for.

Here are the menus and some fighting in motion by the way:

Jadeinchains

Apr 30, 2018
Omg thanks I wanted to see the selection screens and menus! They look great. I like the like different coloured information things on the screen too.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It is a bit ironic that now, when there are scratches and bruises and even blood on the characters, they are going for a brighter and popping overall aesthetic, while DOA5 had that dark, gritty aesthetic, but none of the bruising and blood. As I mentioned, I didn't like the DOA5 aesthetic and I don't want to go back to it, but it would've fit this game more.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, not really digging the call-of-duty-style blood splatters around the camera.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
All of that blood, bruising, and lens splatter crap had better be things that can be switched off entirely, much like dirt in 5 (I'd prefer ditching their inclusion altogether, but I would take the ability to disable them as a minimum concession).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Really nice character/stage select screen!

I'm waiting for the Playstation Day 2 Live to be over to link the new interview there (quite a bit of gameplay and info there).
Some stuff that I wanted to share in the other thread:
Kasumi getting punched in the face (I believe it's the first time we see a female character taking that so far)
New JP interview from Dengeki
Some gameplay from IGN JP

Good to have a discussion thread back. Select Screens look great! But the recolors should be put elsewhere...
Agreed!

You should put the official website in the OP btw Tyaren . There's plenty of new info and renders there.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any guesses how it will sell against all the other fighting games?
I believe they removed the sexiness as well, at least as far as I am informed.

Hopefully the stage transitions are still in, I got interested in the game because of these. Looked so cool on PS2 back then.
Sadly not that interested in most of the characters and it looks relatively close to Tekken. But for casual fan it is always great. =)

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. What they're doing right now is keeping it clean with what they're showing to start with, putting on a good public face for anyone less familiar with or otherwise opposed to the series to make it more presentable for eSports, with plans to account for fan service with alternate costumes down the line.

This is essentially a repeat of DoA5's failed "I'm a Fighter" campaign.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, some potato quality footage leaked of what it looks like when the women of DOA6 receive a punch to the face:

DfkcimYVAAAHtQX.jpg

DfkckRAUwAAg0kx.jpg

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully the stage transitions are still in, I got interested in the game because of these. Looked so cool on PS2 back then.
Sadly not that interested in most of the characters and it looks relatively close to Tekken. But for casual fan it is always great. =)

I'm confused as to what universe a slender ninja with huge breasts in a skin tight leather suit would be "removing sexiness."

This isn't directed at you, just at the general sentiment regarding this game.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
The character selection screen is awesome.

There's an option to select 4 way hold or something else, I don't like that, imo should be 4 only, or 3 only, not a selection (I like 4 way hold).

Hopefully they bring tag mode back, it's my mosy requested mode, before even the characters, too nad they're removing it.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

It will sell decently as usual. It's in that weird spot where it's not a huge game (like the SF/Tekken/MK/etc) but more a middle tier big game, like KI for example.
Launch probably not great but not bad either, but they seem to know what to expect. They're definitely more for esports than anything else this time.

Looks better than Tekken anyway imo. Especially given the resolution, stages/model detail and ligthing.
By the way, some potato quality footage leaked of what it looks like when the women of DOA6 receive a punch to the face:
Yeah it's not leaked, it's in the video I leaked above :p

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. What they're doing right now is keeping it clean with what they're showing to start with, putting on a good public face for anyone less familiar with or otherwise opposed to the series to make it more presentable for eSports, with plans to account for fan service with alternate costumes down the line.

This is essentially a repeat of DoA5's failed "I'm a Fighter" campaign.

That is what I expect. Makes no sense to remove one of your features.

I'm confused as to what universe a slender ninja with huge breasts in a skin tight leather suit would be "removing sexiness."

This isn't directed at you, just at the general sentiment regarding this game.

If you are talking about Kasumi then I don't consider this outfit sexy. It is a work outfit that somebody in some kind of special forces unit might wear, I don't consider her breasts huge as depicted in the OP. Doesn't help that the outfit she wears has little "flair".

I don't mind them going that direction, just seems strange to change it so suddenly even if I understand why (looks good in the public eye).
Especially since sexy outfits always will sell on both sides.

It will sell decently as usual. It's in that weird spot where it's not a huge game (like the SF/Tekken/MK/etc) but more a middle tier big game, like KI for example.
Launch probably not great but not bad either, but they seem to know what to expect. They're definitely more for esports than anything else this time.

Looks better than Tekken anyway imo. Especially given the resolution, stages/model detail and ligthing.

Yeah it's not leaked, it's in the video I leaked above :p

They both look relatively good and casual, but also relatively close. Might be because I like unique characters.
I know all these characters have tradition and big backstories but they don't do much for me.

It probably would be bigger if it had more released games and more distinctive features.
In contrast I could imagine that a new Virtua Fighter might be huge if they go the "Dark Souls of Fighting games" route and keep it very hard.

God, I really want a Virtua Fighter again, the last I played was on PS2 as well. xD

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah can't say this is something I asked for

Me neither...but I think it's overall a cool addition. It is also done tastefully imo, even regarding the women. It brings some intensity and vulnerability. I get what Shimbori meant , when he said that showing the characters make some unattractive faces during a fight makes them more relatable and believable. The faces are not shown that long either being punched in normal gameplay (in the trailers it was extended), it is rather quick actually, maybe just a second.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Me neither...but I think it's overall a cool addition. It is also done tastefully imo, even regarding the women. It brings some intensity and vulnerability. I get what Shimbori meant , when he said that showing the characters make some unattractive faces during a fight makes them more relatable and believable. The faces are not shown that long either being punched in normal gameplay (in the trailers it was extended), it is rather quick actually, maybe just a second.

Just a really strange departure. A series with fanservice and a super silly spin off series to go for such a change in tone.

"Enough with the fanservice we gotta change that, you know what I really want to see? Kasumi get punched in the face hard"

I really think they could have made a new ip for this approach instead. Other devs do it. Like all other fighting game devs have other ips because the they wanted to do something different.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I also want to see Kasumi get punched lol. So far so good, although does not appear to be a huge jump from 5, but no doubt team ninja will deliver.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Ya I'm in the boat of not really liking some of these additions.
I didn't even care for the dirt in 5.
When the face punch thing first happened I thought Hayate was about to get MK X-rayed.

It's just such a weird direction.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
They're overreacting about the fan service, as if they remove it completely and covered every female character.

Just look at Helena, and they won't leave the fan service money on the table, they'll release DLC fan service costumes and probably the base game will include some hard to get costumes like DoA5 (Lisa, Tina and Christie).

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's DOA for crying out loud. Do these people actually think that there will be no fan service elements? DLC and unlickable outfits will all satisfy this need. Some internet outrage is just so fake.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're fighting. Adds impact to hard hitting moves.

Glad they aren't trying to make it sexy

28537.jpg

I get they want to move away from sexy but it just seems overly brutal. We had characters being thrown into electric walls and fall hundreds of meters but I never felt the need to see blood or close up's of their agony.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
28537.jpg

I get they want to move away from sexy but it just seems overly brutal. We had characters being thrown into electric walls and fall hundreds of meters but I never felt the need to see blood or close up's of their agony.

I meant making getting hit sexy in the ryona way