• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Nice gonna get this on PC been having a blast on PS4. Definitely recommend for button mashers and has some nice depth after that. They really toned down the costumes so im gonna have to get some mods. The download of this game was already set up with this method in mind you could see the games downloads and all the characters were separate downloads.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because DoA5's CF took like a year after it came out (along side Ultimate), and prerelease interviews for DoA6 stated it was coming eventually and that concrete details were still being worked out, so a lot of people assumed that meant months and not that it would be shadowdropped 2 weeks after the full release

I've already read this interview, and I'm not sure what you're trying to say

That's because the free version of DOA 5 was a pivot after the fact. DOA 6 was built from the ground up with this model in mind. The hardcore fans already bought in at $60. You're not going to squeeze much more blood from that stone. That's why it was ready to go so soon. They built it this way.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Given that Core Fighters popped up on XBL weeks back, and the wording used there, I'm not really surprised Core Fighters is out now. I expected it within the first month at some point.
Wording like "We can't talk about it yet since we don't have concrete details about what will be included yet." made me think (and many others, apparently) that it would come later (they literally haven't said anything about it since that interview and it's already out). I didn't take the structure of the digital downloads (having to download the characters as DLC) as representative of a release date; we knew they were planning it, so it makes sense to build that system out from the beginning, no matter if CF was planned to release 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years after the full version.

If you had asked me yesterday when I thought CF was coming out, I would have said June-ish. I thought it would have been the smarter move to try to squeeze some more sales out of those who can't wait
That's because the free version of DOA 5 was a pivot after the fact. DOA 6 was built from the ground up with this model in mind. The hardcore fans already bought in at $60. You're not going to squeeze much more blood from that stone. That's why it was ready to go so soon. They built it this way.
I'm aware of all of this. I was more optimistic on the amount of blood left to squeeze at this point than you are, I suppose. (Not at full price of course, but having some sales that go down towards $30-40 before releasing CF)

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Nice. Will get it.
The game was released really cheap in Brazil for XBO (~29 USD) and I've felt guilty not buying it. Still not buying so soon lol, I need to save money.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Download just finished on Steam for me.
The DoA Quest mode seems to be untouched, so you're able to play as characters you don't own in that mode. I was worried that KT would fuck up their perfectly good system of letting F2P players try out characters they don't own, very smart of them to not fuck with it

The game will give you parts for characters you do not own. I don't think this is news b/c full version players who didn't have Nyo/P4 were getting parts for them, but in case anyone was curious and wasn't keeping up

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
how viable is a switch pro controller for this?
and does this version let me play with lewd costumes?

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
Kasumi and Hitomi...
That is some premium waifu content for free right there :)
I'll download later

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
And?

What is the right amount of time for a fighter to release a f2p version? I guess this means ki did it all wrong.
Except KI's plan from the start was f2p..and even that was with only one fighter at a time available and the game was $20. DOA is full priced 'complete' package at launch and two weeks later it's f2p...yeah I'm sure that was the plan all along bro.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except KI's plan from the start was f2p..and even that was with only one fighter at a time available and the game was $20. DOA is full priced 'complete' package at launch and two weeks later it's f2p...yeah I'm sure that was the plan all along bro.

You right. This wasnt planned at all. It wasnt extremey succesful with doa5. The game is certainly doomed.

Bro.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are you able to play against the CPU in Core Fighters in normal VS. matches?

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Sounds like Benji is inferring that this game bombed, which is too bad. It's pretty fun and it looks good for the most part. I kept getting the same handful of opponents when playing last Friday evening on PSN, though, so I'm inclined to believe that few people are playing...

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I didn't pick this up. Now I can just get the few characters I want. Hopefully they'll make costumes individually buyable as well.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Based on Benji's comment, got to congratulate Shimbori on having possibly the worst PR campaigns I've seen in gaming.

Last edited:

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Damn, no ayane for free this time
Yeah, that makes me sad. :(

At least Hitomi, my other main, is in.

Downloading this on Xbox One now since I was already using it, will download the PlayStation 4 version in just a moment. If I get a new PC like I'm planning on doing within the next few days, I'll also get it there.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
So, in U.S. on XBL, all females cost $40 bucks, all males cost $34. All 20 characters for $50, story mode $20. The $60 set is still the best way to get "everything." As long as that is true, this core edition could have been up day 1.

I don't mind this option. It's a good way to develop a fighter, good way to let lots in, and I wish MK11 would do the same. Not every fighter is a 60 buck day one, but I love the genre enough to try each one I can.

For me, this is a nice way "in" until getting it all later. Definitely appreciated.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
So, in U.S. on XBL, all females cost $40 bucks, all males cost $34. All 20 characters for $50, story mode $20. The $60 set is still the best way to get "everything." As long as that is true, this core edition could have been up day 1.

I don't mind this option. It's a good way to develop a fighter, good way to let lots in, and I wish MK11 would do the same. Not every fighter is a 60 buck day one, but I love the genre enough to try each one I can.

For me, this is a nice way "in" until getting it all later. Definitely appreciated.
I don't think this a good thing for developers/publishers. What it shows is if you devalue to product and give it away for free you will train your customers to expect it not to pay to experience your game. That's why you won't see Netherrealms do this. That's also why this wasn't available at launch but does indicate how well this game is selling or not in this case

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded the steam version and will buy only Eliot and fuck with him until Leon is available as DLC. Not surprised at all with it flopping. It had rush job written all over it having less characters, stages, modes, and a shittier story than DOA5 on top of MK11 coming out in a month sealed its fate.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think this a good thing for developers/publishers. What it shows is if you devalue to product and give it away for free you will train your customers to expect it not to pay to experience your game. That's why you won't see Netherrealms do this. That's also why this wasn't available at launch but does indicate how well this game is selling or not in this case
Depends. I agree they should have announced something up front, but it's not really devaluing anything. Core fighter isn't the disk release for free. It's an entry point into the DOA6 ecosystem. If the full game download already showed things installing piece by piece, then it's not like they scrambled to make it this way, or anything like that.

DOA Core fighters 5 did well enough to make 6 in the same way from the ground up. It definitely seems to suggest the series is more interested in long term profits, rather than instant sales, now. Especially with those season passes..

Much like piracy vs downloads, CDs, and Youtube with music. Or the fact one can get simuldub anime, or on TV premiers of dubs now. They still release blu rays, even if it premiered for "free" on tv months ago. Using all the methods one can to get something from consumers is a valid option.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, this seems like a good deal. Try out the game for free, maybe pick up Mila for 4 bucks later down the line if I like it. A way better proposition than the full game considering how few mains I usually have in a fighting game.

So what's the catch with the core fighters? I saw the lack of story mode but there more missing, perhaps some costume unlocks missing?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Not sure why so many people are trying to spin this as a negative thing, they planned this from the start.

F2P is the future of fighting games. I wish more games would have a model like this. Now everyone can enjoy the game easily! No serious investment needed.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Hitomi for free means I'll be playing this seriously, and probably buy the full game in the end!

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure why so many people are trying to spin this as a negative thing, they planned this from the start.

F2P is the future of fighting games. I wish more games would have a model like this. Now everyone can enjoy the game easily! No serious investment needed.
Honestly, if every fighting game was free to play, I wouldn't need to play any other genre.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Download and played for a hour. Won 12 matches in a row online. Bless Hitomi as the free character 😭

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They always planned on releasing it as a F2P game early on. The PC version showed that early on.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I was already going to wait for the for the free version before giving it a go so it's nice that it's so soon.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just downloaded the steam version and will buy only Eliot and fuck with him until Leon is available as DLC. Not surprised at all with it flopping. It had rush job written all over it having less characters, stages, modes, and a shittier story than DOA5 on top of MK11 coming out in a month sealed its fate.

The game is great. This doesn't mean it flopped. And what does it supposedly flopping have to do with it supposedly being a rush job?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Given how successful DOA5 core fighters was, I think they should've launched with both versions. A couple weeks later works perfectly, though.