• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
So what content are you missing with this version (outside of the majority of fighters of course)? Just the story mode stuff?

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Except KI's plan from the start was f2p..and even that was with only one fighter at a time available and the game was $20. DOA is full priced 'complete' package at launch and two weeks later it's f2p...yeah I'm sure that was the plan all along bro.

The PC version literally released as the F2P version for some players. You're literally trying to create a narrative with your feelings.

The game is great. This doesn't mean it flopped. And what does it supposedly flopping have to do with it supposedly being a rush job?

Because only the highest quality games get sales. Just ask the creators of Virtua Fighter.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So what content are you missing with this version (outside of the majority of fighters of course)? Just the story mode stuff?

Story mode is $20.
Fighters are $4.

Otherwise it looks like everything else is there.

For a fighting game, the F2P model is solid. People who want the whole bundle can just spend $60 on the full game. People who only main a certain character and don't care about story, get a deal. People who otherwise wouldn't have bought, jump in.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why so many people are trying to spin this as a negative thing, they planned this from the start.

I think the problem is the lack of communication, people expected it but not this soon. I'll bet some people would have saved 69€ if they knew the F2P would come only 2 weeks after release, hell imagine the people that bought it this week not knowing shit. It's a bad look if only for the lack of communication.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why so many people are trying to spin this as a negative thing, they planned this from the start.

F2P is the future of fighting games. I wish more games would have a model like this. Now everyone can enjoy the game easily! No serious investment needed.
Please repeat that when MK11 sales numbers come out. F2P model is the future for fighters that aren't popular. You won't see popular fighter have a free to play version. At most you see the put the games into a service like PS+, GWG, PsNow, Gamepass. Why because releasing F2P version will devalues the IP. That can be seen in sales numbers coming in from around Europe and Japan compared to the DOA 5 sales.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Story mode is $20.
Fighters are $4.

Otherwise it looks like everything else is there.

For a fighting game, the F2P model is solid. People who want the whole bundle can just spend $60 on the full game. People who only main a certain character and don't care about story, get a deal. People who otherwise wouldn't have bought, jump in.
With the story mode being awful, it'd be great if there was a full roster bundle for $40. With core fighters out that's probably unlikely, though.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Please repeat that when MK11 sales numbers come out. F2P model is the future for fighters that aren't popular. You won't see popular fighter have a free to play version. At most you see the put the games into a service like PS+, GWG, PsNow, Gamepass. Why because releasing F2P version will devalues the IP. That can be seen in sales numbers coming in from around Europe and Japan compared to the DOA 5 sales.
A free to play version of NRS fighters could help them live longer than a month online.

DoA has never been popular, but 5 Core Fighters was a huge boon. Soul Cal could really use a f2p version to boost it up.

F2P is not a nasty cancer or anything. It's a marketing strategy that helps lower popularity games get a little bit of noise.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

Except most fighters aren't popular. It's a niche genre. MK/Injustice are the most successful series because they use established IPs and focus on providing a lot of single-player content.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Oh wow, crazy that they're doing this already.
These games always look like fun in the giantbomb quicklooks but I'm always hesitant about buying fighting games at launch since I don't play online that much.
Downloading now, I'll try it out this weekend along with Dissidia.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
The regular version probably didn't sell that much, this is were they made most of their money with DOA5, is not a surprise.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Except most fighters aren't popular. It's a niche genre. MK/Injustice are the most successful series because they use established IPs and focus on providing a lot of single-player content.
That's why I said it's the future of less popular fighters not your Dragon Ball fighter's/xenoverse, Tekkens, of the world's.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
That's why I said it's the future of less popular fighters not your Dragon Ball fighter's/xenoverse, Tekkens, of the world's.

You also said it devalues the IP, which I don't necessarily agree with. The most successful IPs in the world are F2P. Fortnite, LoL, DotA2, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush... just because you use the F2P model doesn't mean your IP lacks value. In fact, it can often mean the opposite. Nobody cared about Fortnite when it was a premium game. As an IP, it was basically worthless. Switching to BR and more importantly, going F2P is what gave it the ability to dethrone PUBG.

Honestly, even the established fighting games would likely be more successful if they went F2P. It would open them up to an entirely new audience and that's what the genre really needs.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
You also said it devalues the IP, which I don't necessarily agree with. The most successful IPs in the world are F2P. Fortnite, LoL, DotA2, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush... just because you use the F2P model doesn't mean your IP lacks value. In fact, it can often mean the opposite. Nobody cared about Fortnite when it was a premium game. As an IP, it was basically worthless. Switching to BR and more importantly, going F2P is what gave it the ability to dethrone PUBG.

Honestly, even the established fighting games would likely be more successful if they went F2P. It would open them up to an entirely new audience and that's what the genre really needs.
Those F2P games don't release a premium version of the game. If they did they would be as they would have trained the audience not to pay to play. In all but 1 of the examples you listed they are all new IPs. F2P model isn't a bad thing it can be extremely successful. But when DoA5 downloaded plus sales numbers to come close to MK10 sales numbers it isn't price of entry that is holding the game back.

Nov 1, 2017
That didn't take long. Maybe people have finally gotten bored of TITS TITS TITS and spending $93 odd dollars on one season pass. In my own humble opinion DOA is a dumpster fire of a franchise and i wouldn't shed a tear if it crashed and burned out of existence.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
How is this game anyway? I've read some reviews but I'd rather see more opinions from fighting game aficionados. Also, is it safe to assume the Steam version is not the best one to get because of the player base (considering the fact it's an unpopular franchise and most fighting game player bases are on the PS4).

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
To say I'm pretty fucking irritated is an understatement. I spent $60 at release, only for it to go free to play less than 2 weeks later, with no indication that this was planned, much less anytime this soon? Price drop is one thing but this is a whole other way to fuck over your customers that spent full price at release.

As much as I treasure DOA, I'll never buy another game in the series at release after this crap.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Those F2P games don't release a premium version of the game. If they did they would be as they would have trained the audience not to pay to play. In all but 1 of the examples you listed they are all new IPs. F2P model isn't a bad thing it can be extremely successful. But when DoA5 downloaded plus sales numbers to come close to MK10 sales numbers it isn't price of entry that is holding the game back.

Why the fuck are you using MKX sales as some sort of metric for... anything. The major fighters released this gen are Tekken 7 and SFV. Which both struggled to reach even 1/3rd of MKX.

You do know DOA5 came out 7 years ago. Then DOA4 about 7 years before that exclusively on the 360.

DOA5 F2P had 12 million downloads. DOA5 base sold 1 million. I think the audience, the majority of players, is conditioned to the game being F2P just fine.

Maybe you just don't know what you're talking about when you say audience.

If you bought DOA6 not expecting a F2P version then that's on you. But the trade off to F2P is tons more content and a more active player base. Tons of fighting games become ghost towns online while DOA5 maintained a healthy active base years in.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm not sure why people are doing fake concern over it releasing 2 weeks after launch, when they always wanted to release soon after launch (game launched with some issues and they wanted to fix that first), and 5LR launched with the free version as well.
It's nothing weird nor a panic move.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'm not sure why people are doing fake concern over it releasing 2 weeks after launch, when they always wanted to release soon after launch (game launched with some issues and they wanted to fix that first), and 5LR launched with the free version as well.
It's nothing weird nor a panic move.

We need themes and avatars. My PSN avatar is Christie lol

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017

It wasn't communicated very well, since I'm not the only one that never heard anything about it despite following news about the game, and the date for the free-to-play release wasn't revealed either.

It's not too crazy to say that most people would have expected at least a month or two before the free-to-play version dropped, not two weeks after retail release.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That didn't take long. Maybe people have finally gotten bored of TITS TITS TITS and spending $93 odd dollars on one season pass. In my own humble opinion DOA is a dumpster fire of a franchise and i wouldn't shed a tear if it crashed and burned out of existence.
I'm not sure what's the point of you coming in a thread just to shit on a game.
The DLC is also the point of F2P version, and how they made tons of money on 5 (which also had a F2P version, just like KI), so it's nothing new nor an unexpected move when it could have been at launch if it was ready for it (again, like DoA5).

Hoping games fail is pretty much against the rules, and I won't insult you about it, but get over yourself.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
i think the concept of a free2play 'core edition' version of fighting games is a good idea....

Sure, as long as it remains optional... If some analyst figures out that this business model brings more revenue than the regular versions, some might decide to only release their games this way. I hope this doesn't happen.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sure, as long as it remains optional... If some analyst figures out that this business model brings more revenue than the regular versions, some might decide to only release their games this way. I hope this doesn't happen.

it will always be 'optional' because if you think about it, every f2p includes a paid bundle option for you to buy 'everything'...so essentially the retail version of DOA6 you bought is the paid bundle version with every launch character.

i.e., regardless of whether every fighting games will have a f2p core version, they will have an option for the hardcore fans to buy the 'complete' package.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Perfect for me. I'm not super invested in DoA so didn't buy at launch, but I'll take a free version where I can pick and choose who I want. Only complaint is that Nyotengu is locked behind preorder bonus (I think?). Hopefully she releases to everyone soon as she was my favourite in 5 and I definitely want to play her again.

Already playing Quest mode and it's pretty fun.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Perfect for me. I'm not super invested in DoA so didn't buy at launch, but I'll take a free version where I can pick and choose who I want. Only complaint is that Nyotengu is locked behind preorder bonus (I think?). Hopefully she releases to everyone soon as she was my favourite in 5 and I definitely want to play her again.

Already playing Quest mode and it's pretty fun.
Nyotengu is now available to buy for everyone.
Phase 4 is still locked though afaik.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My only gripe about them doing this again is because of how many DLC packs DOA5 had. I never understood which I had to buy to get the game I would get at retail... Or if there was even an incentive to do it that way. This may be a side effect of my confusion, but I swear it costed more to download Core Fighters and get stuff via DLC than just buying the physical game.

Also, yeah, this is a bit too soon after launching the game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of F2P in fighting games with additional purchases available to 'fill in' your version. I went with the full version of DOA this time but I definitely got a lot out of DOA5 Core Fighters.

I'll give KT money for Mila, don't want them giving up on the series.

Also my main. Love playing Ranked with Mila.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The PC version literally released as the F2P version for some players. You're literally trying to create a narrative with your feelings.

Lol uh huh..or you know maybe I'm just making an observation. Oh and the PC version is by far the smallest segment of sales for this game (and a lot of IPs), companies don't base marketing strategies off PC versions you're reaching pretty hard with that. I simply stated my impression of the timing, no need to get so defensive. Understand I want DOA6 to succeed I want the franchise to continue and grow but be honest with yourself this ain't a good look for launch sales.

If you truly believe the plan all along was to release the f2p version 2 weeks after a fully marketed $60+ priced launch you are either in massive denial about the sales so far or just upset and rushing to defend the game for some odd reason.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Downloaded it earlier this morning, after the demo I decided to just wait for this version, I only play Tina and Christie anyway so makes sense to go this route. Sadly I can't seem to buy the characters on their own, only in either a male or female pack. Hopefully soon I can pick up these 2 characters.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded it earlier this morning, after the demo I decided to just wait for this version, I only play Tina and Christie anyway so makes sense to go this route. Sadly I can't seem to buy the characters on their own, only in either a male or female pack. Hopefully soon I can pick up these 2 characters.

Individual characters are available on PSN in the UK, so they will be coming out at some point in individual regions/platforms, I would imagine.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Lol uh huh..or you know maybe I'm just making an observation. Oh and the PC version is by far the smallest segment of sales for this game (and a lot of IPs), companies don't base marketing strategies off PC versions you're reaching pretty hard with that. I simply stated my impression of the timing, no need to get so defensive. Understand I want DOA6 to succeed I want the franchise to continue and grow but be honest with yourself this ain't a good look for launch sales.

If you truly believe the plan all along was to release the f2p version 2 weeks after a fully marketed $60+ priced launch you are either in massive denial about the sales so far or just upset and rushing to defend the game for some odd reason.
DOA5 LR and Ultimate launched with a F2P version.
KI launched with a F2P version.
DOA6 had multiple interviews saying that they wanted the F2P version by launch but had to fix issues first.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
DOA5 LR and Ultimate launched with a F2P version.
KI launched with a F2P version.
DOA6 had multiple interviews saying that they wanted the F2P version by launch but had to fix issues first.
Last Round yes, DOA5 no big difference there. KI was $20, a la carte, and one rotating character and was planned as f2p from the start like I already stated earlier in the thread. And I never heard DOA6 was planned to be F2P at launch got a link for that?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Last Round yes, DOA5 no big difference there. KI was $20, a la carte, and one rotating character and was planned as f2p from the start like I already stated earlier in the thread. And I never heard DOA6 was planned to be F2P at launch got a link for that?
It was leaked two months ago, before the game's release: https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadOrAlive/comments/aeli05/dead_or_alive_6core_fighters_leaked/
Here's the director talking about a F2P version, also in January: https://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/...g-players-improve-and-a-free-to-play-version/

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Neither of those links say the f2p version was planned for launch?

They just show that it was in the works which is a no brainer considering that's where they made their money.