• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Last Round yes, DOA5 no big difference there. KI was $20, a la carte, and one rotating character and was planned as f2p from the start like I already stated earlier in the thread. And I never heard DOA6 was planned to be F2P at launch got a link for that?
The F2P model of KI is similar to DOA5 and was released afterwards (there's also free rotation there).
September 2018: F2P version is planned (release date unspecified) via Famitsu . Earliest mention I could find, but I'm sure there's more. There was an interview where he said it would come "soon after launch", but you'd excuse me for not having the time to look through plenty of japanese websites and links right now.
If you have the time, feel free to do it. Again, it's the same model as DOA5, so not surprising it's that soon (especially when they made most of their profits through that and when they made most of their DOA5 marketing through that as well).

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Please repeat that when MK11 sales numbers come out. F2P model is the future for fighters that aren't popular. You won't see popular fighter have a free to play version. At most you see the put the games into a service like PS+, GWG, PsNow, Gamepass. Why because releasing F2P version will devalues the IP. That can be seen in sales numbers coming in from around Europe and Japan compared to the DOA 5 sales.
No, it is the future of the genre because most people do not want to invest in a $100+ arcade style game they just want to try out. That is why fighting games are as niche as they are in the grand scheme of things. Just because a game sells better does not mean it will keep a consistent scene either. That has actually been a huge issue with NRS games.

Also, Tekken did have a F2P game at one point and a terrible mobile game too, that IP seems plenty valuable.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The F2P model of KI is similar to DOA5 and was released afterwards (there's also free rotation there).
This isn't accurate.

KI was announced f2p from the very beginning, it was an 'a la carte' game from the very beginning and the marketing completely focused on the f2p model..they essentially pioneered it in fighting games. The only change was offering more 'complete' versions of the game later on. They did have an Ultra version at launch but again it was primarily marketed as f2p.
September 2018: F2P version is planned (release date unspecified) via Famitsu . Earliest mention I could find, but I'm sure there's more. There was an interview where he said it would come "soon after launch", but you'd excuse me for not having the time to look through plenty of japanese websites and links right now.
If you have the time, feel free to do it. Again, it's the same model as DOA5, so not surprising it's that soon (especially when they made most of their profits through that and when they made most of their DOA5 marketing through that as well).
That's all in Japanese and I don't have the interest in looking for a quote I've never seen but I guess I'll take your word for it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That didn't take long. Maybe people have finally gotten bored of TITS TITS TITS and spending $93 odd dollars on one season pass. In my own humble opinion DOA is a dumpster fire of a franchise and i wouldn't shed a tear if it crashed and burned out of existence.
Tell us how you really feel.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is quicker than I expected. I imagine the timing was always planned rather than reactionary based on sales, especially based on that interview. May as well download it since I enjoyed the beta.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure what's the point of you coming in a thread just to shit on a game.
The DLC is also the point of F2P version, and how they made tons of money on 5 (which also had a F2P version, just like KI), so it's nothing new nor an unexpected move when it could have been at launch if it was ready for it (again, like DoA5).

Hoping games fail is pretty much against the rules, and I won't insult you about it, but get over yourself.

If that's a thing then a lot of people are in trouble then for various comments that have been posted about various games that i've seen. Actually KI is an interesting one because although it did have micro-transactions it was only for a particular game mode. The daily login bonuses are so generous that no one should ever need to spend any money in that way. Otherwise they were very restrained. In fact i think they missed a trick, they could have been more enthusiastic about selling a variety of skins like Street Fighter V but definitely in comparison to DoA it had far less exploitative DLC practices. I don't have that image to hand but doesn't the total cost of DLC for DoA5 add up to over $1000? Meanwhile you can pick the definitive edition of KI regularly on sale for about $20 for what is a far more entertaining game (in my own opinion of course).

We have entire threads dedicated to the evils of lootsboxes, the psychological tricks companies use to try and extract every last bit of cash out of customers as they can and predatory practises in general and in my mind DoA is right up there with the worst of them. Even if it was the most technically impressive, deep and wonderful fighter out there i still wouldn't support it and that's not even taking into account the juvenile and frankly gross over-reliance on bouncy tits and getting models to touch each other up to promote the game.

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
So correct me if I'm wrong with the pricing in the US -

Core Fighters (4) - free
20 Fighter Pack - $50

Which is less than the $60 offering.

So what don't you get if you go that way?

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
Story mode. (which, according to some reports it sucks anyway).

Got it - the question is if it's worth $10. Or I can just wait for a sale and get it all for less. You still get all the other single player content though right? It's the Quest mode that is supposed to be great, right? And it's effectively endless?

Oct 27, 2017
How is this game anyway? I've read some reviews but I'd rather see more opinions from fighting game aficionados. Also, is it safe to assume the Steam version is not the best one to get because of the player base (considering the fact it's an unpopular franchise and most fighting game player bases are on the PS4).
I'm loving it. I don't care about the competitive side of fighting games, so I prefer DOA over all other 3d fighters, because how fast and fluid it is.
For me DOA is kind of the middle ground between Smash and Tekken. Easy to pick with enough depth to make each fight unique. Hell, I've spent 200 hours in DOA5 and just found out about Ayane's back-down p+k, lol.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If that's a thing then a lot of people are in trouble then for various comments that have been posted about various games that i've seen. Actually KI is an interesting one because although it did have micro-transactions it was only for a particular game mode. The daily login bonuses are so generous that no one should ever need to spend any money in that way. Otherwise they were very restrained. In fact i think they missed a trick, they could have been more enthusiastic about selling a variety of skins like Street Fighter V but definitely in comparison to DoA it had far less exploitative DLC practices. I don't have that image to hand but doesn't the total cost of DLC for DoA5 add up to over $1000? Meanwhile you can pick the definitive edition of KI regularly on sale for about $20 for what is a far more entertaining game (in my own opinion of course).

We have entire threads dedicated to the evils of lootsboxes, the psychological tricks companies use to try and extract every last bit of cash out of customers as they can and predatory practises in general and in my mind DoA is right up there with the worst of them. Even if it was the most technically impressive, deep and wonderful fighter out there i still wouldn't support it and that's not even taking into account the juvenile and frankly gross over-reliance on bouncy tits and getting models to touch each other up to promote the game.
By your own admission, KI's developers didn't keep making more DLC outfits to support the game indefinitely, so offering a definitive version for a reasonable price is far more feasible. In regards to DoA5's DLC, that's for anyone who insists on buying each and every outfit (some having since been discontinued due to licenses expiring) for every character, which extremely few people actually do with that game. Individually, the outfits for SFV cost more (the cheapest being the same price as premium costumes in 5:LR), and the cost of getting them all is certainly adding up in that game with no end in sight. Doing the math on things like that winds up being more of a problem for people who insist on having absolutely everything for a game than anyone else, in which case such a thing will remain out of reach for completionists without a significant amount of disposable income.

If anything, DoA6 is looking to be easier to criticize for only offering Xbox players the opportunity to buy outfits piecemeal, as PS4 and PC players currently have to buy entire packs (which makes even less sense when the point of this Core Fighters edition is to let people buy only what they want and nothing more).

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone figure out how many achievements are not getable in the core version?

This game needs a patch. The camera goes black on some stages when clipping and framerate randomly craps itself when moving the camera post match. Would be nice if they did dynamic res on the Xbox graphics mode or just lowered it to 1440p. The image quality is kinda poor at 1080, looks messier than doa5lr.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
This isn't accurate.

KI was announced f2p from the very beginning, it was an 'a la carte' game from the very beginning and the marketing completely focused on the f2p model..they essentially pioneered it in fighting games. The only change was offering more 'complete' versions of the game later on. They did have an Ultra version at launch but again it was primarily marketed as f2p.

That's all in Japanese and I don't have the interest in looking for a quote I've never seen but I guess I'll take your word for it.
DOA5 Core Fighters was released in September 2013, and was announced in June 2013.
Killer Instinct released in November of the same year.
No idea who had the idea first (one of those trends everyone followed from something, probably from League of Legends), but KI didn't pioneer everything when it's the exact same business model as DOA5 that was released a few months earlier (character ala carte, free character rotation, cosmetic dlc and some modes, etc).
Thanks.
So correct me if I'm wrong with the pricing in the US -

Core Fighters (4) - free
20 Fighter Pack - $50

Which is less than the $60 offering.

So what don't you get if you go that way?
Got it - the question is if it's worth $10. Or I can just wait for a sale and get it all for less. You still get all the other single player content though right? It's the Quest mode that is supposed to be great, right? And it's effectively endless?
If you want everything, the full version is cheaper. Core Fighters is more interesting if you don't care about story mode and only use a few characters.
You get all the single player and online modes otherwise, and can play the full DOA Quest even if you don't own the characters (as detailed here).

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty confusing back on DOA5 trying to figure out how to buy "the whole game" late after launch. They would put some pieces on sale but not others. Hopefully here they can keep it simple.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm loving it. I don't care about the competitive side of fighting games, so I prefer DOA over all other 3d fighters, because how fast and fluid it is.
For me DOA is kind of the middle ground between Smash and Tekken. Easy to pick with enough depth to make each fight unique. Hell, I've spent 200 hours in DOA5 and just found out about Ayane's back-down p+k, lol.
Which platform you on? Do you play multiplayer at all? And if you do, how is the netcode/matchmaking? Thanks!

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the beta. But, didn't want to post full price or really have time to play. So this is perfect for me. Is Zach one of the free characters?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the price is right. Never much cared for DOA despite owning a few of them, but I'll give it a go.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
How is this game anyway? I've read some reviews but I'd rather see more opinions from fighting game aficionados. Also, is it safe to assume the Steam version is not the best one to get because of the player base (considering the fact it's an unpopular franchise and most fighting game player bases are on the PS4).
First time really trying the series myself and I don't really care for the flow of the game. But I don't know how much of that is my taste vs the game itself. I play pretty much everything outside of this though.

The netcode is also terrible. I think it might be the worst online experience I've had in a fighting game in years based off of my time last night. There's also no way to play with friends which is a pretty major exclusion.... If you want an online fighter this does not seem like a good choice at the moment.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed DOA6 so far, looking at how the game installed on steam you could assume it was going to be F2P at some point. Every character was listed as DLC on the base game. Hoping this bumps the population a bit, netcode hasn't been too awful for me and with how small the playerbase was I could find games every 5 to 10 seconds in ranked so it was pretty good still.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Downloaded the F2P version last night. Pleased it had Hitomi included, then I dropped $4 each on Tina and Mila. I'm good. May pick up story mode on sale at some point but really I only ever play those three characters so it makes no sense to buy more.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for the game, but I don't see the issue with releasing a f2p version close to the full one, and I don't believe it's a negative sign like some people are insinuating.

This is aimed at those who balk at a $60 purchase when they only want to play a character or two. It gets the game in their hands, gets the company money they wouldn't have otherwise, and gets more people playing the game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Whew this is a barebones PC port. It's also funny that the recent news on the Steam library page is an article criticizing the cost of the season pass and a review titled "Dead or Alive 6 review: naff and likely to embarrass."

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
My only gripe about them doing this again is because of how many DLC packs DOA5 had. I never understood which I had to buy to get the game I would get at retail... Or if there was even an incentive to do it that way. This may be a side effect of my confusion, but I swear it costed more to download Core Fighters and get stuff via DLC than just buying the physical game.

Also, yeah, this is a bit too soon after launching the game.

It was pretty confusing back on DOA5 trying to figure out how to buy "the whole game" late after launch. They would put some pieces on sale but not others. Hopefully here they can keep it simple.

At least on Xbox, it's pretty straightforward. The "full game" is (and has been) just a bundle of the core game with the DLC.

It's no different than how Hitman is sold. The "full game" is a bundle of all the different pieces.