• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm... I might have to redownload the beta. It seems I'm the only one experiencing this issue. =/

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, ended on a 9-win streak XD Nowhere near Mesh lol.

It's more fun the more I play. I really want this game now.

OP
OP
Mesharey

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Aw, ended on a 9-win streak XD Nowhere near Mesh lol.

It's more fun the more I play. I really want this game now.
Nooo, it'll be hard now because your rank is higher and will face harder opponents. XD

Mr. Pointy, if the connections are bad theb try to play against ethernet people, that's what worked for me well at least.

Kuksune

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden
I popped back into 5 after a while, played a friend that lives in Sweden too. No lag whatsoever. And I could play my main man Brad. It was a good evening.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Just encountered a bug where the screen turns completely black. My opponent left after I beat him/her two matches in a row and it sent me back to the match search screen. Completely black but I can press buttons to search or go back to character selection. Except I can't see what I'm doing. Haha.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beta crashed on my 5 times in 40 minutes.

Netcode felt...eh. Better than 5, but not amazing.

Really weird that they label the S move as a separate button when it's just H+P+K. Don't understand what problem people have with the strings. S has hella slow startup. It's not like they can be thrown out willy-nilly, and otherwise they're not much different than other strings.

Not going to bother with this while it's crashing so much.

Jun 4, 2018
Played a handful of matches, got destroyed! Game looks pretty. Debating which platform to pick it up for... Quality stuff as always, here!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if connections are the issue but it feels like hits have no impact.
Feels no different than 5:LR to me in that regard.
Played a handful of matches, got destroyed! Game looks pretty. Debating which platform to pick it up for... Quality stuff as always, here!
Quoting myself from the discussion thread on the platform debate:
Going by every other multiplatform fighter where PlayStation is an option, it's safe to conclude that most players will be on PS4 and it'll also be the tourney standard (the days of DoA being ingrained as an Xbox-centric franchise are long gone, too). For reference, the PS4 version of DoA5:LR has been the go-to for lobbies on Era when we've had them.

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get used to this Fatal Rush - it's a very interesting mechanic. It's so wild that it's just a touch of a single button, trying to play it tactically towards swinging momentum in rounds but it's dangerous!

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Ok time for me to post my impressions here and the other threads:

For a start the new systems are very interesting, fatal rush and breaks are a interesting wrinkle to add into the game, where it can make you change your approach and I find that a good change, the counter window is a bit off but I guess it's partially lack of familiarity and net delay, so time will tell how it goes. The art style is pretty good and from what I seen I am hoping code chronus is a real thing they are looking into. The new side step attack is interesting and I hope it's not the only attack we can get with step attacks. Another thing I would like to see some changes on is they ease up on people mashing the power break spam. Another great sign I see it the sever tech where maintenance can still go one while people are playing.

As to the netcode issues, as I had stated before unless the netcode is made in the west, it will never be a good fit for western netcode unless you are Finnish (Like Nico and are high tech) so keep that in mind. As with the last game we shall be holding weekly lobbies every weekend hosted by myself or somebody else, where everybody of every skill level is free to join and learn and discuss certain things as well as playing the occasional pro player.
We also have a reset doa discord with some other games but it's primarily a doa discord: https://discord.gg/KJ6Nh6
Here are a few matches I had decided to record:

OP
OP
Mesharey

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Apparently they just updated the beta, you need to restart it.

Nice videos Shin, I need to use some of your combos!

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Two strategies I've found for slightly minimizing lock ups are 1) avoid wifi players and 2) when it locks up during/after a match do a network test through the PS menu. It'll force a disconnect prompt in game and it's faster than restarting it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I have to do this everytime I reopen the game... I will need to check. Maybe because I'm using Custom and not a preset configuration?
After I had to restart the game, I went into a match and my controls were all wrong. I checked, but it was on the right setting (Type B). That hasn't happened since though.

The tutorial never seems to change to suit my controls though.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I was just in a match and lost all input control as if my pad had died (it hadn't). I switched pads but by then my opponent had stopped moving. Once connected I was in control of my opponents character and I was kicking my own ass. Then the match crashed.

HAHAHAHA

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I don't know what I'm really doing but it's kinda fun. Seems to be a bit laggy on inputs though.

Now I got a black loading screen but I can hear everything going on in the menus and press things lol.

I like it so far, but yeah needs some work. Hope the delay will help.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Not liking the S move, it seems too easy to spam in its current form. I was able to deal with spammers but I can see it being a problem in the full game when players become more skilled at the game. Other than that it's fun to play and I'm actually liking the graphics and gameplay on PS4 Pro. I'm going to buy both the PC and PS4 version. Hope they've fixed the baby oil effect on characters like Hitomi and Lei Fang, saw some gameplay of both of them and the sweat effect looks horrible on them.

Mar 21, 2018
good season for demos. RE2 and DoA6 this week, and then Anthem coming up soon. DMC5 is also getting another demo in Feb. jump Force is also getting a demo/beta soon. I think there are one or two more demos or betas that I can't remember. Especially excited to give this game a try. Haven't really played a DoA since 3 so maybe this one will convince me to join the fray once more.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
After I had to restart the game, I went into a match and my controls were all wrong. I checked, but it was on the right setting (Type B). That hasn't happened since though.

The tutorial never seems to change to suit my controls though.

Ok, so I wasnt the only one that experienced something like that. I still go to options and check my settings everytime just in case. I dont want to enter a rank match and have all my buttons on default.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I recently got into a game where I lost control of my character and I was controlling the opponent for the entire match.

I wasn't even mad. That shit was goofy as hell.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Played around 10 matches, found that two were completely unbearable despite reporting full 5 bar connection. The rest were fine, but input lag was easily detectable, just not at completely unplayable levels.

I was playing Ayane and only had a single 5 bar match that felt nearly flawless.

Despite being a brief session and not finding the netcode to feel completely ideal, I think I still overall had fun. I'll start looking into how the single player modes are shaping up and if it seems decent, I think I'll gladly give this a buy in February. I really like how quick and snappy DOA feels in its controls, and the vibe I got from the little glimpses into the presentation feel a bit more energetic and vibrant than the mood I've seen in fighting games lately.

I've got enough hope that the final product turns out well that I am kind of starting to get hyped for this one! Even hope the netcode is better in the full game! :) But I'm a filthy casual so if it's not great, no huge loss -- I'll be leaning on single player modes for the most part.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I do not know why but watching streams of this really makes me want a new VF so bad

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Played around 10 matches, found that two were completely unbearable despite reporting full 5 bar connection. The rest were fine, but input lag was easily detectable, just not at completely unplayable levels.

I was playing Ayane and only had a single 5 bar match that felt nearly flawless.

Despite being a brief session and not finding the netcode to feel completely ideal, I think I still overall had fun. I'll start looking into how the single player modes are shaping up and if it seems decent, I think I'll gladly give this a buy in February. I really like how quick and snappy DOA feels in its controls, and the vibe I got from the little glimpses into the presentation feel a bit more energetic and vibrant than the mood I've seen in fighting games lately.

I've got enough hope that the final product turns out well that I am kind of starting to get hyped for this one! Even hope the netcode is better in the full game! :) But I'm a filthy casual so if it's not great, no huge loss -- I'll be leaning on single player modes for the most part.
It's delayed to March 1st now.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So how is the S-move exactly meant to work?
Normal attacks with Circle and Triangle I can still counter with square and back (or forward with medium kicks), right?
But I can also counter with S-moves and the time-frame here is way longer? At least that's what I am feeling. Seems way easier to counter with S-moves than with normal counter.
And then S-moves can also be used to attack and they can only be countered with other S-moves or can't they be countered at all?

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain what's so bad about the special button? I legit don't understand why anybody is complaining about a move with incredibly slow startup that you can counter.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Can somebody explain what's so bad about the special button? I legit don't understand why anybody is complaining about a move with incredibly slow startup that you can counter.
It's easy to mash and kill the rhythm of a regular match if you can just spam it. Sure, it has a slow startup, but if it hits, it's basically guaranteed damage (unless you use some of your meter) with some cinematic angle.
It's not as bad as the reversal in SC6, but it's the same philosophy.

It has nothing to do with an autocombo like in DBFZ or KOFXIV for example.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to mash and kill the rhythm of a regular match if you can just spam it. Sure, it has a slow startup, but if it hits, it's basically guaranteed damage (unless you use some of your meter) with some cinematic angle.
It's not as bad as the reversal in SC6, but it's the same philosophy.

It has nothing to do with an autocombo like in DBFZ or KOFXIV for example.

Its not easy to mash BECAUSE it has slow startup. It's ridiculously easy to interrupt.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
Alright, here's what I've got, playing in Scandinavia on a 400 megabit line:

5-bar matches are fine, anything less than that is of course a very mixed bag.
Latency will sometimes impact game speed tremendously, feels almost like it did back in DOA4 sometimes. In some games the speed would vary a lot, which really threw off my game.
There was notable input lag on 4 bars and below, quite a bit more than in Tekken 7. Sometimes I was unable to punish, because my generic PPP combo would not come out.
I like that you can avoid wi-fi warriors if you want.
Matches would sometimes claim to be 5 bar, but then drop to 1 bar when the match started.

Special button is interesting, I think they're on to something good here. The only problem is Fatal Rush, which seems abusable, but I am quite rusty at the game overall, and perhaps it is not as hard to stop as I think it is.

I like the overall vibrant look of the game, although I wish that hitting the barriers would produce a bit more visual effects. Characters are shiny, but quite good-looking in my opinion. There are notable framerate issues during cinematic special moves and win poses, but I often see this in betas, and I don't think we have anything to worry about for the final release.

My overall take is that I like the feel of the game a whole lot, and I find the special systems interesting and dynamic.

Here's a match I played on a good connection. I was never much of a Kasumi player, so apologies for my horrible combos, but I really like how she looks in this game.