• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Can you name some specific examples from the video? I think it's pretty harsh to say that both of these players don't have a proper grasp on the mechanics of the game given their experience and skill level.

I haven't had a chance to go through everyone yet, but a good example is Christie. They mention she isn't top tier anymore because she lost her reset grab and her 6P string isn't as effective because you can just step it every time. While I agree that Christie is not top tier, I don't think it's for those reasons at all.

If you just mash out Christie's 6P string, sure, step all day. But Christie has to be at a decent disadvantage for that to work against a smart player. I tested this out the other day, but I don't recall the exact numbers. I want to say -5 is the magic number, but I'd have to double check. If Christie is -5 or better, she can 6P, free cancel and block your sidestep attack. In a lot of situations where you would step against Christie, she'll be at -5 or better, but they make is seem as though you can just step all day as soon as you see 6P. That's not something a high level player should be doing, and a tier list only matters at the highest level of play.

Another issue is that they do not mention her tracking options at all (other than H+K). Those matter way more than her 6P string because if the Christie player anticipates a step, she's not going to lead off with 6P. They put a big emphasis on 6P not tracking and Christie not having 6P grab shenanigans "like she had in DOA5" and that is not how you need to look at Christie in DOA6.

DOA6 focuses heavily on step and stopping step, but there was no mention of what tools Christie has to stop step. Only what she can no longer use from DOA5. Her 4P and 7P strings, 66P and throw options off of her strings were not mentioned at all. They didn't even mention the fact that her Break Blow tracks (the only one in the game as far as I know). They only mentioned H+K for tracking options, which is one of her worst options to stop step.

They also mentioned having three Christie players in FR top 8 and none of them playing Christie. I didn't see anyone actually using the new DOA6 mechanics with any kind of consistency, so I wouldn't expect them to use Christie when she can't be played the same way she was in DOA5. Citing that as a reason to justify her tier placement doesn't make sense.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I don't understand the DLC strategy here. So say you get the F2P version and buy Kasumi because thats the only fighter you want to play as. You unlock all of her costumes but damn, you just gotta see her in that wedding dress. So they force you to buy an entire DLC pack with a bunch of costumes in it that you can't even use??? Why the fuck can't you just buy the costumes for the characters you play as? Dumb move Team Ninja, I would buy plenty of costumes for the characters I play as but I'm not buying any DLC packs. I want to like this game a lot but a lot of the decisions around how we can purchase DLC is kind of souring the whole experience.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the DLC strategy here. So say you get the F2P version and buy Kasumi because thats the only fighter you want to play as. You unlock all of her costumes but damn, you just gotta see her in that wedding dress. So they force you to buy an entire DLC pack with a bunch of costumes in it that you can't even use??? Why the fuck can't you just buy the costumes for the characters you play as? Dumb move Team Ninja, I would buy plenty of costumes for the characters I play as but I'm not buying any DLC packs. I want to like this game a lot but a lot of the decisions around how we can purchase DLC is kind of souring the whole experience.

"Well I have all these costumes for Christie, might as well buy her too..."

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So how are you supposed to counter that hayabusa aerial throw?

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hooo baby the connections tonight are something else.

And I think fun time might be over with Honoka cause it seems people realized she has zero range so they can just stick out whatever their longest button is and completely shut her out.

Last edited:

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
hooo baby the connections tonight are something else.

And I think fun time might be over with Honoka cause it seems people realized she has zero range so they can just stick out whatever their longest button is and completely shut her out.

That feeling when someone figures out your bullshit is both inspiring and crushing.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I wonder if on PSN the costumes only coming in a bundle is perhaps some kind of Sony thing? It really does not make sense for them to only be like that on Asian storefronts there.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am actually shocked how BS NiCO in her current state is. Maining Brad Wong in this game is a blast most of the time, but fast characters like her just have an especially clear advantage at all times. Hitomi probably gives me the most problems but at least I can recognize that her hitboxes are pretty normal.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just duck or use an attack that crushes highs.

It does track. All throws track. If you start walking early enough you might be able to evade it, but it's not consistent. A command step definitely doesn't work.

Thanks, Im used to block on aerial attacks in 2d games, so watching an aerial throw in a 3d game shocked me.

How good is Kokoro, and what are her main moves that should be the core of her playstyle
?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Little Rig appreciation post...

dd2q95g-83766500-c709-489e-a218-fb8116b2eada.png

dd2q920-f5a51510-7109-4d33-8b99-d5df7b166cf5.png

dd2q8yt-6e2690f7-33d8-4b8e-9621-ead129cdcf59.png

dd2q8sc-5beaddf3-0214-4ce2-9157-41c99cbc8b49.png

dd2q8uy-b06863e9-0526-4885-bd07-3f7f65960346.png

dd2q8o6-1c62b52c-5df2-49d9-a342-21aa2d1d1323.png

Photos taken by me in photomode. :)

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I want to learn Rig once lobbies are out... whenever that will be. Still no news on that front, it's ridiculous.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have found more matches with good connection now that the game went f2p, I guess that since I'm from South America people are cheaper while buying games

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
The ship stage can suck so much. Stuff blocks your sight or explosions get in the way.

I am actually shocked how BS NiCO in her current state is. Maining Brad Wong in this game is a blast most of the time, but fast characters like her just have an especially clear advantage at all times. Hitomi probably gives me the most problems but at least I can recognize that her hitboxes are pretty normal.

Ayane with slight lag is a treat. Once that helicopter starts spinning you don't want to go anywhere near that.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So there seems nothing that can be done or that TN/KT want to do in regards to single DLC costume purchase on PS4? It will likely stay like this? Damn, this will significantly shorten the game's life span to me since I won't be buying any of the season passes or costume packs going forward. This is incredibly disappointing. I was so looking forward to DOA6 and planning to stay with it for years to come and engaging with the community for years to come (costume contests, photography contests...)
I would have never believed you if you told me before that they'd deliberately fuck up one thing after the other, alienating even loyal fans like me. :(

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this is the same for steam/pc

Great company btw. And loyal nuthuggers will want to blame Sony/steam for this.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck. How can this even be an issue...

Yeah, guess I won't be buying any dlc for this game

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
It's not even a technical issue considering the Asian PSNs have individual costume purchases and the season pass on Steam is itself a bundle of all the bundles. It's pretty much taking away options on certain platforms and regions because of reasons.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They are not getting half the shit for this on social media as they deserve. Well, I hope people will vote with their wallets, consciously or inconsciously. KT seems to have lost quite a few regular DLC buyers already alone in this thread.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Great company btw. And loyal nuthuggers will want to blame Sony/steam for this.
The fact they can't give a reason while allowing it on asian PSN pretty much sounds like this a regional Sony issue to me, sorry.
That's how it works, and that's how it evolved recently for multiple Sony policy changes (including the censorship debacle, the store country changes, and the refund system). I'm not defending KT on this, just saying it's a very specific kind of response and has ramifications to recent Sony regional differences.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
TN have always been trying to get the most money out of their players, especially with DOA, I guess they think forcing players to buy their big ass season passes is worth the loss of people buying the individual costumes.

They are not getting half the shit for this on social media as they deserve.

They're not because morons rather still argue about censorship and shit. The other day I took a lot at DOA6 reddit and faqs... never again.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fact they can't give a reason while allowing it on asian PSN pretty much sounds like this a regional Sony issue to me, sorry.
That's how it works, and that's how it evolved recently for multiple Sony policy changes (including the censorship debacle, the store country changes, and the refund system). I'm not defending KT on this, just saying it's a very specific kind of response and has ramifications to recent Sony regional differences.

Why can't they give a reason though? It's the easiest thing, if it is true, to say it is due to Sony's changed policies, and there's nothing they can do about it. Not giving a reason sounds to me much more like: "It's our own policy, alright, but with the backlash it is getting, it would be very stupid of us to admit it."

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Why can't they give a reason though? It's the easiest thing, if it is true, to say it is due to Sony's changed policies, and there's nothing they can do about it. Not giving a reason sounds to me much more like: "It's our own policy, alright, but with the backlash it is getting, it would be very dumb to admit it."
Because that's how it works if you don't want to have issues with a platform holder, especially when there's controversies at the first thing.
Contacting Sony will just say "contact the publisher", and the publisher will just say "we can't say".

Only way you'd have more insight into it would be to have contacts at those companies, or have some journalist do some investigation work for this.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because that's how it works if you don't want to have issues with a platform holder.

If it is due to a Sony policy, there's no issue at all to state that fact. What issue would Sony have with this?

They're not because morons rather still argue about censorship and shit. The other day I took a lot at DOA6 reddit and faqs... never again.

Sad but true, already those "true DOA fans", as they call themselves, are pushing the narrative that this is entirely due to Sony's censorship. If I were KT I wouldn't say anything about that either. They are already off the hook.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, let's say I believe that for a second. Let's say somehow I believe that sony is okay with both selling the season pass and the dlc but only if its bundled.

What about steam/pc?

Edit

o look what i found

nbjcm4yfupn21.png

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's say I believe that for a second. Let's say somehow I believe that sony is okay with both selling the season pass and the dlc but only if its bundled.

What about steam/pc?

Edit

o look what i found

nbjcm4yfupn21.png

RG0BS1U.gif

Just greedy as hell. I think they rather shot themselves in the foot here though.

Nov 17, 2017
Damn. Last Team Ninja game I will buy. I mean, I know its cosmetic DLC but that is a huge part of DOA. I want to give them money, why won't they take my money?
Nah, I'm with you. Cosmetics are just as much a part of a game as the actual gameplay. It's part of the appeal. I definitely would've bought individual outfits but no way I'm buying a bundle that's like 90% costumes I won't use. They can leave that money on the table, I guess.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, Im used to block on aerial attacks in 2d games, so watching an aerial throw in a 3d game shocked me.

How good is Kokoro, and what are her main moves that should be the core of her playstyle
?

I haven't gotten into Kokoro too much (I'm slowly going through all of the characters), but her new combo throw is good. You can go into a number of different options, or just do the throw a second time to reset the situation. She also has good tracking moves (which consist of her main strings). Most of her attacks also have good hitboxes, such as 66P.

Once I go through the character I can give you more specifics, but she's definitely solid. I don't know if I'd say she's top tier (need more info on her), but she's far from low tier.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Ayane is generally my DOA go-to, but with the release of Core Fighters, I figured I'd get a single character that has more of the game's unique systems at play. So I went for NyoTengu, as she was a main of mine of 5LR.

Totally the right choice, I love how much variety she has with her options. Flight combos, In air grapples, grounded juggled opponent throws, ground throws, a "projectile", etc... and she keeps me kinda honest with her lack of really fast pokes.

I hope the PS side gets some changes as sales become available. But mostly, I'm just happy to be able to fit DOA into "new releases I can play" for such a stupid cheap price. This'll also make it so much easier to get into the KOF collaborative stuff without breaking the bank.

I will say the online I've experience on release XB1 feels worse than my time with the Demo on PS4. But considering my time with Retail SC6 was almost unplayable (no connections for days) VS it's demo (constant decent connections), I'm not overly shocked. I do appreciate the fact the game differentiates between Wired and Wireless players, shown by the style of connection bar they have.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A complete non-answer from them then, wonderful. Even serves to trivialize letting people buy characters piecemeal in the Core Fighters edition by making them still have to pay for things they don't want anyway to get what they actually do.

Quick edit, missed this part.

What about steam/pc?

Edit

o look what i found

nbjcm4yfupn21.png
It's like KT have absolutely no idea what they're doing with this game. Would love to hear what the Japan-side's excuse is for this.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gotten into Kokoro too much (I'm slowly going through all of the characters), but her new combo throw is good. You can go into a number of different options, or just do the throw a second time to reset the situation. She also has good tracking moves (which consist of her main strings). Most of her attacks also have good hitboxes, such as 66P.

Once I go through the character I can give you more specifics, but she's definitely solid. I don't know if I'd say she's top tier (need more info on her), but she's far from low tier.

Thanks, goung to wait for your tips