• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just updated the game to be greeted by this strange bug. Updating my drivers did the trick though. I'm only spoiling the image because looking at it makes me nauseous to look at after a while.

N2Yi7TJ.jpg

Looks like you opened up Tekken 7 by accident.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I was worried that Tecmo was going to repeat their mistakes with no individual costumes on PC again, but that it's also happening on PS4 is making me scratch my head. Maybe there's something about buying an individual DLC on PSN and Steam that prevents players from buying a bundle it's a part of later.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was worried that Tecmo was going to repeat their mistakes with no individual costumes on PC again, but that it's also happening on PS4 is making me scratch my head.

It must be an error for PS4, which is even their biggest platform. It would be one of their dumbest mistakes yet, of which there are already many, if it wasn't an error. Most people casually buy just one or the other costume out of a set, instead of a whole set. I for example never bought any season pass or complete costume set and I still spent hundreds of €/$ buying costumes and characters and other DLC over the life span of DOA5. Those hundreds of €/$ will be entirely lost for them for DOA6 if they pull a stunt like this.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they just end the x100 bonus?

Also, is anyone else getting worse performance after the patch? It's like before my framerate would just be whatever it would be, but now it's like they tied the framerate to the game speed so if I'm on forbidden fortune or the throwdown then my game seems to run in slow motion instead of before where it was normal speed but just a lower framerate :(
(I'm on PC)

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Did they just end the x100 bonus?

Also, is anyone else getting worse performance after the patch? It's like before my framerate would just be whatever it would be, but now it's like they tied the framerate to the game speed so if I'm on forbidden fortune or the throwdown then my game seems to run in slow motion instead of before where it was normal speed but just a lower framerate :(
(I'm on PC)
The x100 bonus got extended to the 28th. And that behavior is normal for other fighting games, logic is tied to framerate on pretty much every fighter since SFII and DOA6 was seemingly the first to buck that trend. Guess I wasn't seeing things on the preview vids that had framerate dips.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well. I wish they'd add a resolution scale like other fighters though (so instead of dropping down from 4k to 1440p you could run like 90% of 4k, 85%, etc...).

edit: I see that the new patch also now gives you costume parts for the character that you're playing as. Finally unlocked all of Nyotengu's costumes except for the DLC ones which can only be bought with real money. Now I just need a lot more gold coins.

Last edited:

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Damn didn't think they'd drop the F2P version THAT fast, looks like i'll jump in then. Still have my gamefly copy for PS4 so might as well send that shit back and download the PC core fighters and buy the one and only character i fuck with and save me $55

Last edited:

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn didn't think they'd drop the F2P version THAT fast, looks like i'll jump in then. Still have my gamefly copy for PS4 so might as well send that shit back and download the PC core fighters and buy the one and only character i fuck with and save me $55

You can't buy individual characters- at least not on Steam. EDIT!! Never mind, the characters ARE up for sale individually. They just didn't show up in the DLC list I clicked on for whatever reason. They're $4 each.

This is what is what else is currently being offered for Core Fighters:

Female Fighters Set $40
Male Fighters Set $34
Story Unlock Key $20

I don't get the pricing here. Might as well just buy the full game, lol. It's cheaper.

Then for the full game, there's also:

Happy Wedding Costume Vol. 1 Set $20
Nyotengu unlock $4
Season Pass 1 $93

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Playing like shit tonight - got stomped by a spammy Kasumi and haven't been able to win since.

On the bright side, at least I'm getting costumes.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
How big is the core edition for PC? I'm running out of HDD space

EDIT>
Nevermind. 30GB. I only have 70 left. Might install on my stream PC and mess around on stream.

Last edited:

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I've unlocked approx 70% of the costumes and not a single one for my main Hitomi so excellent news that pattern points are finally going towards the character being used. Might farm some tonight in case they are serious about this boost being temporary and only extended till the 28th March. Just make it permanent please!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've unlocked approx 70% of the costumes and not a single one for my main Hitomi so excellent news that pattern points are finally going towards the character being used.

Even better, no costume patterns are ever lost anymore. When you earn 300 patterns and it goes to a 200 pattern costume, the rest of the points goes to another costume for the same character. If all costumes of that character are already unlocked the points go to a random costume for a random other character. They actually thought this through this time, lol.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I expected the F2P version when lobbies would be patched in, which was still this month.

Reminder the other characters get their wedding costume in pack 2 at the end of the month.
You can't buy individual characters- at least not on Steam. EDIT!! Never mind, the characters ARE up for sale individually. They just didn't show up in the DLC list I clicked on for whatever reason. They're $4 each.

This is what is what else is currently being offered for Core Fighters:

Female Fighters Set $40
Male Fighters Set $34
Story Unlock Key $20

I don't get the pricing here. Might as well just buy the full game, lol. It's cheaper.

Then for the full game, there's also:

Happy Wedding Costume Vol. 1 Set $20
Nyotengu unlock $4
Season Pass 1 $93
That's the whole point that the full game is cheaper than the F2P version, that's how you make money and how DOA5 and KI already did it.

The wedding pack is part of the season pass btw.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Next update: permanent 100x costume pieces bonus, change of rewards in quest mode, and lobbies.
There's also a pathnotes pdf released with balance changes, but I'm waiting for the english version to post it here.

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
The new update also added a "rotate character" feature in the Wardrobe, which is nice if you want to look at a costume a bit better before buying it. You're still locked to the default view though, you can't pan the camera

1.02 patchnotes and OP update for Core Fighters
OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Updated the OP with Core Fighters info and trailer.
You can also find cool wallpapers for the characters now that it's F2P here (open the pic in a new tab for a 1080p wallpaper).

1.02 patchnotes pdf (includes some balance changes)

Bonus: new Famitsu interview with Shimbori. Highlights below:
  • Marie/Honoka/Nico don't have the zoom in break blow anymore due to a lot of people feeling bad about it in public events, and from DOAX fans.
  • Development with the new engine was hard and they want to keep improving it.
  • Repeats there's a possibility for Gen Fu to come back in the future. Ninja Gaiden themed costumes possibly coming, Rachel and Momiji are complicated due to being in NG (they need confirmation they can use them in, I guess similar to the Ryu redesign here if they make a NG4).
  • 30 story episodes were cut from the game during development. They'd like to include new ones in the future but can't promise anything.
  • Phase 4 wasn't planned to be a playable character, but she was in the story from the start and a lot of players wanted to play her.
  • They still want to push the fact that the audience (NPCs) is the danger zone in 6.
  • The hard part of making a good netcode for DOA is the hold system.
  • The lobby update should bring some improvements to the netcode as well. It's late because they are behind schedule and they want to make that mode better than before.
  • DOA2 and 5 were the main inspirations behind DOA6. Hard to tweak the gameplay to make it more accessible yet keep hardcore fans happy.
  • Will still be tweaked in the future depending on feedback and for balance purposes (obviously).
  • When Mai was added in DOA5, there has been a big increase in players and sales, that's why she's coming back.
  • They want to keep the next KOF character (releasing by the end of June) a secret and like people trying to guess who it could be. Not saying if it's a male or female character (interviewer tries multiple questions but get no hint).
  • They want to make DLC a mix of cute, cool and sexy (unlike the sexy focus of 5). Wedding is the first pack because it was heavily requested.
  • They've heard the feedback about people wanting technical names displayed (I guess talking about command training and others where it was removed unlike in 5).
  • They've also heard the feedback about costume drops (which led to the permanent increase).

edit:
The new update also added a "rotate character" feature in the Wardrobe, which is nice if you want to look at a costume a bit better before buying it. You're still locked to the default view though, you can't pan the camera
oh that's awesome!

raidergale

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
LnCGnaH.png

I guess this confirms that it wasn't a mistake and individual outfits won't be available anymore on PS4? That's EXTREMELY dumb, they're only aiming for whales now while leaving a lot of money on the table for the individual costumes purchases. :/

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Offering a core version for people who only want a few characters and not allowing said people to get costumes for those characters individually might be one of the dumbest decisions possible

Also not allowing people to buy coatumes who want to buy certain costumes for certain characters in general.

Who is the idiot that made this decision. Literally preventing people from buying shit for your game.

Marie/Honoka/Nico don't have the zoom in break blow anymore due to a lot of people feeling bad about it in public events, and from DOAX fans.

Yeah seemed obvious from the beginning this was the reason

Ninja Gaiden themed costumes possibly coming, Rachel and Momiji are complicated due to being in NG (they need confirmation they can use them in, I guess similar to the Ryu redesign here if they make a NG4).

This still makes no sense. Momiji was in a fanservice DoA spinoff, she was in DoA5, she is in Venus Vacation a DoA spinoff handled by a different distributor (dmm) even

Why is Rachel and Momiji in DoA6 suddenly a complicated matter. They are requested characters, NG and DoA share a universe, made by the same developer and especially in Momijis's case unlike Ryu or Rachel, Momiji is Hayashi's own creation. What the hell is Koei Tecmo's problem

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
LnCGnaH.png

I guess this confirms that it wasn't a mistake and individual outfits won't be available anymore on PS4? That's EXTREMELY dumb, they're only aiming for whales now while leaving a lot of money on the table for the individual costumes purchases. :/

Offering a core version for people who only want a few characters and not allowing said people to get costumes for those characters individually might be one of the dumbest decisions possible

Also not allowing people to buy coatumes who want to buy certain costumes for certain characters in general.

Who is the idiot that made this decision. Literally preventing people from buying shit for your game.

Welp, they lost me... They can keep all of their DLC.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Benji, who is a sales insider here on Resetera, in the Core Fighters thread:

Yeah DOA6 sales have been

Uh.....not great

No wonder after all the unnecessary fuck ups and the really bad publicity and image the game has gotten in recent weeks.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
LnCGnaH.png

Who makes all these decisions at Koei Tecmo in regards to doa 6? All of them are bad. The original way to unlock costumes. The amount of pattern points we were suppose to get and now this dlc nonsense........

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, didn't know they tried to bring the face smash zoom-ins back for Marie/Honoka/NiCO after the beta already dropped them (would've been fine with those being eliminated for everyone entirely, but keeping the added violence turned off will do).

Not sure why they're trying to convince people that the next KoF character could be male between admitting to thinking that no one would pay extra for a male bonus character back in 5 and acknowledging that Mai getting more people to buy and play 5:LR is what led to bringing her back.
LnCGnaH.png

And yeah, screw this, especially when I would've only wanted one based on the designs in it.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think Team Ninja wants to kill DOA franchise and just do something else but don't want to be responsable, hence all of these fuck ups. Just semi-serious.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really don't understand why only the Xbox version let's you buy the outfits you want.

Well, I'll probably buy the other season passes too anyway (if there will be more), but for the success of the game they should offer the costumes for all version individually.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I've only been peripherally interested in this game, but all of a sudden this morning I'm really tempted to pick it up. If I do, it sounds like Xbox One is the way to go, since you can get individual packs?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So I've only been peripherally interested in this game, but all of a sudden this morning I'm really tempted to pick it up. If I do, it sounds like Xbox One is the way to go, since you can get individual packs?
PS4 for online community longevity (in addition to being the one DoAEra will be using for lobbies once the game has them), XB1 as the only one that doesn't make people buy entire costume packs to get the few they actually want. Not gonna lie, this change in policy in letting only Xbox players buy what they want has killed much of my interest in bothering with the full game.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 for online community longevity (in addition to being the one DoAEra will be using for lobbies once the game has them), XB1 as the only one that doesn't make people buy entire costume packs to get the few they actually want.

Probably Xbox then. I don't really play online.

Thanks!

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
Played a few DOA games with 3,4 and the Dimensions, just downloaded the DOA6 core fighters, some good shit tbh not enough for me to purchase full price but a lot better than I'd thought it'd be.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's a weird one for costumes...
I wonder if this is a similar issue to DOA5 on 360 where it had too many costumes for the marketplace, and it's the same on PS4 (which would be weird considering how it worked for DOA5 PS4).
Depends what is important for you tbh.
Graphics > PC, online/userbase > PS4, individual costumes >X1. Keep in mind the regular X1 (not X1X) version has performance issues.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

PS4 for online community longevity (in addition to being the one DoAEra will be using for lobbies once the game has them), XB1 as the only one that doesn't make people buy entire costume packs to get the few they actually want. Not gonna lie, this change in policy in letting only Xbox players buy what they want has killed much of my interest in bothering with the full game.

They really seem to favor the Xbox version this time and on the other hand try their best to cripple the game on PS4.
There's no HDR on any other platform except Xbox One, Individual costumes can only be bought on Xbox, Xbox One X got a 4K mode, while PS4 Pro is probably not enhanced at all, at least John of Digital Foundry voiced his suspicions in the DOA6 tech analysis thread.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
They really seem to favor the Xbox version this time and on the other hand try their best to cripple the game on PS4.
There's no HDR on any other platform except Xbox One, Individual costumes can only be bought on Xbox, Xbox One X got a 4K mode, while PS4 Pro is probably not enhanced at all, at least John of Digital Foundry voiced his suspicions in the DOA6 tech analysis thread.
Almost feels like Itagaki snuck back into the company.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
They favor the X1 so much it's the only version that isn't 60fps in action mode.
Come on now...

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but the visuals seem to be a little bit better with the patch, like the AA is improved a bit. Maybe a bit sharper too. Playing on PS4 Pro.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
They favor the X1 so much it's the only version that isn't 60fps in action mode.
Come on now...
Probably not much of anything that could be done with a late-gen base XB1 multiplatform game in that regard even with presuming no biases, the relatively underwhelming stages not proving to be any less taxing on the hardware it seems.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Going into the game with the Core Values version. Not sure how I feel about this whole break bar thing yet. Getting caught a lot by them fancy break holds and break combos and whatnot but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. What I definitely don't fancy is the unlocking system. Pieces of costumes dropping after matches? Randomly on top of that? I mean I guess I'll unlock everything eventually but it would be nice to be able to spend them in the desired order? Just let me get Hitomi's tank top and jeans outfit already, sheesh.

Barely touched Quest Mode but it seems like a fun distraction.

Training modes same as I remember them (even if L3 + R2 on PS4 to reset char position during combo challenge isn't what I'd call optimal but I nitpick).

Online seems alright. Getting a lot of quick, lagless matches with the occasional stinker, same as DOA5 when it was new. But yeah, add lobbies already, no fun having five other mates with the game just sitting on Discord describing our random matches to each other.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
LnCGnaH.png

Fucking ridiculous. I'm sorry, but this is the most baffling move so far for me. I will still enjoy playing the game from time to time but I guess I won't be putting as much time as I wanted to into it now and think twice about purchasing a potential DOA7 day 1 (if that one ever happens that is). They can't expect people to purchase bundles of $20 each (or whatever they will be) just to get 1 or 2 costumes for the characters they actually like or enjoy playing. And this isn't even a business decision, because they allow for this on Xbox One. I doubt it's a Sony policy or anything either, because DOA5LR did just fine and Street Fighter 5 allows individual costume purchases as well (although via the in-game store front that connects to PSN). In-between the dumb costume unlocking system, releasing the F2P version just barely 2 weeks after the original release (they never officially hinted at such an early release, they only said they don't know an exact release date yet) and now this I actually feel betrayed as a loyal customer and will think twice supporting them in the future. I'm sorry.

Also the new updated costume unlocking system that actually gives you the parts for the character you're playing is pretty much useless for me, because my main charcter NiCO only has 2 additional costumes. Sure, I can unlock those quite easily now. But afterwards I can only mindlessly grind arcade / quest mode for characters I don't even play as. It's awesome for everyone else, but for me this is pretty much useless on the long run.

Man am I salty and mad about all of this.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Now that I think about, doesn't PSN have issues where if you buy a single DLC, you can't buy bundles that include that DLC later down the line? Maybe that's the reason there aren't individual costume bundles for PSN.