• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
this makes so little sense considering they just put out the core fighters version, they're literally locking themselves out of money from the people playing that version of the game
who the heck is gonna buy a $20 costume bundle if they only own 1-3 of the characters in it
whereas someone who plays the CF version and only plays a few characters might be inclined to buy most/all costumes for their character

bizarre choice

It's even more bizarre if you consider that you can buy individual costumes on Xbox but not on the other platforms.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
It's even more bizarre if you consider that you can buy individual costumes on Xbox but not on the other platforms.
x2YlxsU.gif

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Forward and back throws are slower tho. shrug

It's already been stated, but an i5 neutral throw and an i7 or even i10 command throw aren't that different in terms of reacting to the throw. Most people can't react to anything faster than 18-20 frames, and that's under the best conditions.

You've done a good job at summarizing my thoughts so far. I'm having more fun than I expected, but there is so much I just don't get about neutral here. The weird hitboxes and priority (at least it seems like some sort of attack priority?) especially are really driving me nuts after playing so much Tekken recently. It just feels off in comparison when trying to whiff punish or really try to play footsies. I've had so many situations where I go to hit a button after my enemy's string whiffs and I get hit instead. It feels a bit unnatural.

No, you can't break command throws, which is what he means. Something like Lisa's 214T or Nyotengu's 41236T.

It's mainly hitbox issues. Some moves seem to completely remove the hurt box, while others the hurt box is front and center. The only time priority comes into play is if two attacks connect on the same frame, in which case the attack that does more damage wins. This is also flawed because I've had a Break Blow trade and essentially lose to a normal mid attack because the attack did the same damage as the initial hit of the Break Blow.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I love when people do low attacks my block doesn't block it. When I attack low they still block it standing up.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
The more I play, the more confounding the game is. Looks sounds and plays great, best fg on the planet other than VF5, but man it is a hot mess. The unlock economy is baffling. I mean, it defies any semblance of something that would be of human origin. Not that that is news in this thread, but man what the fuck.

Top priority patch item for me is the intro and outro variety. Hitomi has multiple intro/outros, but the other characters I played still do not.

The soundtrack is godlike. I haven't been impressed with a fighting game soundtrack in a long, long time.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wolfgunblood regarding the intro/outros, they're going to add them in every patch. That's the plan until June, they've already added some in the patch last week.
Seems like they're just reusing anims/voices from DOA5, but no idea on the order and why X character is updated before another one.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations for a controller to use for this game. I have an arcade stick but I feel like D-Pad is better for me in this. The PS4 controller is alright but is there anything with a better D-pad that can be used on PC and PS4?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's lag or just some ninja/lolis thing but I swear these characters just can smash kick and punch endlessly and have always priority.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thanks looks really good. Never tried the 6 button layout on a pad before but I can just adjust the inputs either way.

The d-pad is in no way better imo. I used two different Hori Fighting Commanders - starting with Ultra Street Fighter IV and ending with SFV - and they both ended up with crapped out d-pads. Even at their best, the dualshock 4 d-pad feels quite a bit better to me. Try before you buy if you can.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The d-pad is in no way better imo. I used two different Hori Fighting Commanders - starting with Ultra Street Fighter IV and ending with SFV - and they both ended up with crapped out d-pads. Even at their best, the dualshock 4 d-pad feels quite a bit better to me. Try before you buy if you can.
I think my biggest issue with the PS4 D-pad is the spaces in the pad area and just not enough room for my thumb. Thanks for the heads up though.

Nov 17, 2017
I've been having so much trouble learning how to hold properly. Then I realized the low hold is actually diagonal back instead of diagonal forward like i've been doing this whole time...

Embarrassing...

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good analysis here

https://youtu.be/m--WRPo5_M8

Best of all validates one of my biggest complaints I've had with the balance: Hayabusa is fucked up.

I've only watched the first 30 min or so, but I pretty much disagree with everything I'm knowledgeable on. They continue to reference Final Round top 8, but everyone at FR was basically playing DOA5 with bound mechanics and new characters. The level of play was high, but since they haven't learned the ins and outs of DOA6, it's a bad point of reference for a DOA6 tier list.

Also, many of the reasons they have for placing people in certain tiers contradicts how DOA6 works or their own explanations for other characters. I'll wait until I've seen the whole thing before I comment further, but so far it doesn't seem as though either of these players has a proper grasp on DOA6 mechanics and what makes a character good.

I don't know if it's lag or just some ninja/lolis thing but I swear these characters just can smash kick and punch endlessly and have always priority.

A little bit of both. The lag, input latency and input buffer are really terrible. It makes safe attacks adv on block, unsafe attacks become safe and punishment is wishful thinking in many instances. At the same time, the game has questionable balance with some characters having i9 highs and i11 mids, but no drawbacks to balance them against characters who have i11 highs and i12 (or slower) mids.

I brought some of this up to Manny, but he shrugged it off as if I didn't know what I was talking about (his typical reaction), so I gave up trying to get any of this looked at or potentially corrected. My friend recently pointed out to Manny that Christie's Break Blow tracks (only one in the game as far as I know), and he actually questioned if my friend (a long-time DOA tournament player) had tested it correctly. Like... wtf man? Also, Brad Wong's Fatal Rush crushes highs and his Break Blow is +12 instead of the normal +4 like everyone else.

Balance...

This game has to have the goofiest hitboxes around. These shits don't make any kinda sense.

If a mod appears that lets us see hitboxes on PC... I think it would cause a small riot. I imagine they have to be pretty wonky and likely unbalanced. For instance, as Helena, I can't approach Eliot or Kokoro. Almost any attack I do when approaching (or trying to stop their approach) is beat out by almost any attack they do. Doesn't seem to matter if I attack first, wait for the first part of a string to whiff or anything else. They just beat whatever I do clean. Very frustrating...

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If a mod appears that lets us see hitboxes on PC... I think it would cause a small riot. I imagine they have to be pretty wonky and likely unbalanced. For instance, as Helena, I can't approach Eliot or Kokoro. Almost any attack I do when approaching (or trying to stop their approach) is beat out by almost any attack they do. Doesn't seem to matter if I attack first, wait for the first part of a string to whiff or anything else. They just beat whatever I do clean. Very frustrating...
HrdtGSV.jpg

Like, this kick hits me when my body is completely off the ground and above his head. Kasumi's cartwheel kick just seems to hit in a giant square all around here from first to last frame cause I've gone for punishes as her feet touch the ground and still get hit by it.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B+ rank on the tail end of a 20 game winstreak. Ran into this Hayate that BODIED me two games, then I ran into them again. He beat me the first round, then started taunting me and lost the game, then I ran him three rounds straight. #feelsgoodman

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
B+ rank on the tail end of a 20 game winstreak. Ran into this Hayate that BODIED me two games, then I ran into them again. He beat me the first round, then started taunting me and lost the game, then I ran him three rounds straight. #feelsgoodman

Currently A+ rank and it's not uncommon for me to lose the first match, then run 6 rounds straight.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprise that Marie Rose is viewed that low. At best I feel she is on the lower half of the cast on a tier list.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Btw, I did read that there's no penalty for rage-quitting but that's not true. Yesterday I did rage-quit once (yeah I'm sorry.. ashamed of myself but yesterday was infuriating lol) and after coming I had almost -400 points lost (when a lose average around 80).

So, don't rage quit kids.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Also, many of the reasons they have for placing people in certain tiers contradicts how DOA6 works or their own explanations for other characters. I'll wait until I've seen the whole thing before I comment further, but so far it doesn't seem as though either of these players has a proper grasp on DOA6 mechanics and what makes a character good.

Can you name some specific examples from the video? I think it's pretty harsh to say that both of these players don't have a proper grasp on the mechanics of the game given their experience and skill level.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Can you name some specific examples from the video? I think it's pretty harsh to say that both of these players don't have a proper grasp on the mechanics of the game given their experience and skill level.
Doa6 just barely came out and certain mechanics change the game. There's no way that these 2 can forsee the meta, that even state this in the video multiple times that its really early and things can change dramatically.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
There's no way that these 2 can forsee the meta, that even state this in the video multiple times that its really early and things can change dramatically.

I think that's exactly why its unfair to attack their knowledge of the game. They make the disclaimer that the meta will definitely evolve and scope the analysis to how things are now.

If we can't discuss a meta until it's settled we'd have to forego discussion of it for years.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My roomie's having an issue. In Wardrobe when he tries to buy a costume, it only lists how many parts he has. It won't let him spend currency even though he has it. Any ideas?

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? You've likely already unlocked those costumes (do you skip the post fight messages? :p), while he hasn't played enough to unlock them yet.

So you have to unlock them with parts, THEN pay coin? Why can I buy every costume for every character after only a few days of play, then, and he's got this after just as long/playing just as much?

838380_20190321013501_1.png

Oct 27, 2017
Boiii, I feel really dumb now. I have played a good amount of DOA5 + 6 and just yesterday I've realized that I did the backspacing entirely wrong. Mashing "back" on the D-Pad as quickly as possible is not the fastest way to get space between you and your opponent:
it's back,back(hold), pause, back, back(hold) and you have to watch your characters animation to get the rhythm right + what the opponent is doing, because they rubberband your movement. Urgh, I'm a scrub, but stuff like that was never covered in a tutorial as far as I know, and this is not Tekken's Korean backdash type of fuckery, although the concept is quite similar.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So you have to unlock them with parts, THEN pay coin? Why can I buy every costume for every character after only a few days of play, then, and he's got this after just as long/playing just as much?

I'm not sure how it's possible that you can do that. Everyone has to unlock parts for each costume. When a costume is complete, it then becomes available to buy with your coins. What platform are you on?

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Maybe you get more parts for winning ranked matches? Maybe you've just unlocked them all. Did you play DOA Quest? Even if you've both spent the same amount of time playing, what matters is what you've been doing in that time.
Yeah, it depends what you've both played. If he played offline before the patch, he also likely didn't get the x100 bonus.