• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
Are there some characters that you just have no clue what to do against? For me all the flippy characters like Brad Wong, Ayane and La Mariposa absolutely crush me every time I fight them because I can't read them. Especially Brad, I have no idea how to fight him. I almost beat one cause I noticed he kept laying down so I just pick him up off the ground but then he caught on and changed his strategy.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Which "real content" was missing outside lobbies? It has more single player content than most fighting games this gen.

The DLC content like characters, not the actual game, was what I was talking about there.

The main game itself does have decent enough content, and the gameplay is fine, it's just everything else around the game that Tecmo/TN is fucking up

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there some characters that you just have no clue what to do against? For me all the flippy characters like Brad Wong, Ayane and La Mariposa absolutely crush me every time I fight them because I can't read them. Especially Brad, I have no idea how to fight him. I almost beat one cause I noticed he kept laying down so I just pick him up off the ground but then he caught on and changed his strategy.

Eliot. All of his moves look the same. I can't tell what he's doing. Been that way since DoA4.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Brad is the worst. You could completely button mash Brad and I would lose against him every time.

Yep, when I play on highest difficulties through Arcade or Time Attack and the drunkard suddenly appears I'm like:

giphy.gif

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Brad is the worst. You could completely button mash Brad and I would lose against him every time.

While that's true, there's a some other characters that are just press a buton to win, I was playing as Rig against a friend I could basically just keep hammering R1 and his kicks that just are brokenly fast destroyed my friend, seemed like I could kick my way out of any combo or break reversa, completely ignoring anything he did.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017

It's honestly one of those things you just have to play against them a lot to get a read on their movements. I had a friend that played Brad a lot in DOA4 and I had a lot of trouble against him at first, but after a while of fighting against him and learning his moveset, it gets easier to fight against. He's still tricky, but I feel like a lot of his common stuff comes from lows or mid kicks. Mariposa I feel comes more highs and mid-kicks. A good Brad or Mariposa will mix the shit out of their set to keep from being predictable though.

My basic advice is just to train against the CPU on higher difficulty to get a feel for his moves. Same goes for Mariposa. Once you start to see what strings most moves lead into, you'll be able to react and counter much more effectively when playing against an actual person. I hope that helped some.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Kokoro for me.
Ayane is fast but most players use the same patterns, Lisa is hard to stop once started but not that fast of a character, and Brad is mostly a matter of habit and knowing his stances.
The DLC content like characters, not the actual game, was what I was talking about there.

The main game itself does have decent enough content, and the gameplay is fine, it's just everything else around the game that Tecmo/TN is fucking up
I'm not sure I understand your point about character DLC then.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
As a Brad main myself I am constantly surprised by how basically every character can beat him up close. Being confusing only goes so far. Seriously, you guys would be surprised how effective just doing simple staggered jabs against him is.

Anyways, I do not think the general content of the game is a problem personally. Yeah, the male characters do not have enough costumes and the lack of levels is something they need to address this year, but the core of the game itself is fine beyond just needing some stuff polished out.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they deserve an intense amount of backlash for this. Somehow they were able to launch several DLC packs and a full on F2P version all before lobbies were ready? How can they think this is acceptable?

Damn, this game is depressing. The foundation is absolutely there for it to be the best DOA ever but Koei Tecmo's priorities are just completely out of touch. Hope they can turn it around but I think fans are getting ready to move onto another series at this point. I suggest Soul Calibur VI, personally!

Does that include the characters? If you just do not purchase anything else for the game I think they might get the wrong message that you want no additional content at all.

I would not suggest SC6 unless you're a casual player. The devs have been making it easier and easier for casuals, while alienating some competitive players in the process. The most recent patch made throw breaks super easy to do (they weren't hard... even online) and the game has been balanced around online play (terrible, terrible idea). So I would not recommend SC6.

While that's true, there's a some other characters that are just press a buton to win, I was playing as Rig against a friend I could basically just keep hammering R1 and his kicks that just are brokenly fast destroyed my friend, seemed like I could kick my way out of any combo or break reversa, completely ignoring anything he did.

This is more a lack of Rig knowledge and not the character being a problem. For instance, Rig can't get into stance if you step him. If he does get into stance, just block one attack, then step. While he has tracking moves from stance, it limits what he can do if you step. He was also moderately nerfed from DOA5 to DOA6. I'd say he's lower mid-tier at best, but it's still early.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they deserve an intense amount of backlash for this. Somehow they were able to launch several DLC packs and a full on F2P version all before lobbies were ready? How can they think this is acceptable?

Damn, this game is depressing. The foundation is absolutely there for it to be the best DOA ever but Koei Tecmo's priorities are just completely out of touch. Hope they can turn it around but I think fans are getting ready to move onto another series at this point. I suggest Soul Calibur VI, personally!
Yeah, I would personally recommend Soul Calibur VI over this right about now (even with the questionable logic behind the patches and their frequency, I have far more problems with the idea of going beyond the Core Fighters edition of DoA6 in its current state, let alone giving them money for DLC).
Mainly Brad and Lisa, but Mila also gives me problems.

Last edited:

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The original poster now told me it was the KT customer service that can be contacted here:
https://koeitecmo.info/inquiry/kte/
https://koeitecmo.info/inquiry/kta/

Great, i'll hit them up. Hopefully enough people will complain that they see they are leaving money on the table. If not, its not THAT big of a deal. The game is quite good actually and looks so good in 4k/60. More costumes would be great but I'm not going to pay for characters I never play. Just a shame KT doesn't seem to respect that.

EDIT: I bugged them, probably won't do anything but at least we tried.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, I'll have to practice against Brad. What makes losing to him worse is that it's like all of his moves are taunting basically lol

Still a beginner here, I got to D+ and then ranked down to D. I've noticed I get completely shut down by any player who just walks backwards and waits for me to whiff.

Eliot. All of his moves look the same. I can't tell what he's doing. Been that way since DoA4.
I would have no clue what to do against Eliot, mainly because I've seen him online a total of one time. I forgot he was in the game.

Mainly Brad and Lisa, but Mila also gives me problems.
Mila gives me problems because I block too much. It took me a while to realize that I could break out of her grabs. At first I was like "WHEN DOES THIS GRAB END?! I've been in it for like 10 seconds!"

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm pretty disappointed that Helena doesnt have many new moves. She feels the exact same as 5.... not sure if I want to stick with her.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great, i'll hit them up. Hopefully enough people will complain that they see they are leaving money on the table. If not, its not THAT big of a deal. The game is quite good actually and looks so good in 4k/60. More costumes would be great but I'm not going to pay for characters I never play. Just a shame KT doesn't seem to respect that.

EDIT: I bugged them, probably won't do anything but at least we tried.

Awesome, I just sent my complaint as well. :)

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty disappointed that Helena doesnt have many new moves. She feels the exact same as 5.... not sure if I want to stick with her.

That's 90% of the cast. Some characters got a bit more attention, but I think on average everyone got 3 new moves.

I would much rather they delayed Phase 4 and Tengu for later DLC (maybe May?) and use that extra time to make these characters actually feel as though they've advanced since DOA5LR (as well as make sure Lobbies were in at launch).

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

there would be a big backlash some years ago. people got used to buying a beta and getting the rest of the build drip-fed over the next couple months. bundled dlc is seen as a bigger problem than a season pass and dlc for a spotty game it seems.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I would not suggest SC6 unless you're a casual player. The devs have been making it easier and easier for casuals, while alienating some competitive players in the process. The most recent patch made throw breaks super easy to do (they weren't hard... even online) and the game has been balanced around online play (terrible, terrible idea). So I would not recommend SC6.
SCVI's had some odd experimental patches for sure, but I get the strong vibe that Namco is planning a similar form of support for it like they gave Tekken 7. The drip feed has been insufferable at times, but they clearly intend to continue supporting it beyond the next costumes and Cassandra. With DOA6 we have no idea what to expect after the KOF characters and more costumes, especially if the game and it's DLC continues to tank in sales.

Most core DOA fans are honestly pretty casual. I mean no offense by that, but I am sure you know what I mean. If people want a good 3D fighter that is pretty easy to get into, DOA6 would be my first recommendation considering how it is free to try, but SCVI's the best second option IMO.

That's 90% of the cast. Some characters got a bit more attention, but I think on average everyone got 3 new moves.

I would much rather they delayed Phase 4 and Tengu for later DLC (maybe May?) and use that extra time to make these characters actually feel as though they've advanced since DOA5LR (as well as make sure Lobbies were in at launch).
Phase 4 I absolutely agree with (she should seriously have some Alpha stuff in her moveset), but Nyotengu's a pretty solid update I think. I do wish more characters got crazy exciting upgrades like Eliot did.

We might get more moves as the game progresses too. DOA5 Ultimate got quite a few new ones, lots of new taunts even.

there would be a big backlash some years ago. people got used to buying a beta and getting the rest of the build drip-fed over the next couple months. bundled dlc is seen as a bigger problem than a season pass and dlc for a spotty game it seems.
You say that but I am seeing a lot of DOA fans that feel like this along with the DLC issues make this the final straw.

Honestly considering how bad this bombed and how low budget it already was I think DOA is going to take an especially long Virtua Fighter-like absence after this game's DLC concludes. It pains me to think that, but Koei Tecmo did this to themselves.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio

well demanding lobbies NOW isn't going to accomplish much because I'm sure Tecmo is already working hard on finishing them. Allowing DLC costumes to be sold individually is a change that's as easy as flipping a switch, basically, so it makes more sense to be vocal about that right now.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus-tap-dancing-christ, the hits keep coming.
Honestly wished if they were going to delay the game to begin with, then they may as well pushed it back till everything was good to go. This game would have been in a better spot if it dropped with core fighters and lobbies day one.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

This is a mess, they shouldn't have released it, so stupid.

I'm in awe at how poorly this game has been handled. I can't believe I'm playing a fighting game in 2019 that I can't even play with friends online. This is the worst online fighting game this generation, it should not have released in this state.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It may not be perfect but I'm glad they didn't delay it more than they already did, as I've been having a great time with it.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
DOA Quest is such a mixed bag. So many missions are quite fun and get you to think about combat in different ways, and then some are just insanely specific and awkward to the point I do not believe they playtested them at all. Like, how are you supposed to get three break blows in two matches? Even if you lose a few rounds on purpose it is really insanely strict because there is also a mission for beating it within a small time frame too.

It figures the most annoying missions always happen in especially long quests too.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is more a lack of Rig knowledge and not the character being a problem. For instance, Rig can't get into stance if you step him. If he does get into stance, just block one attack, then step. While he has tracking moves from stance, it limits what he can do if you step. He was also moderately nerfed from DOA5 to DOA6. I'd say he's lower mid-tier at best, but it's still early.

SC6 has been having great top 8's at several events. I'd argue it's the most underrated game in the FGC right now. It's got some faults, but it's really good.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
DOA Quest is such a mixed bag. So many missions are quite fun and get you to think about combat in different ways, and then some are just insanely specific and awkward to the point I do not believe they playtested them at all. Like, how are you supposed to get three break blows in two matches? Even if you lose a few rounds on purpose it is really insanely strict because there is also a mission for beating it within a small time frame too.

It figures the most annoying missions always happen in especially long quests too.
This one's easy, using the S attacks increases the meter quickly so you can use it 3 times.
I find some missions the require you to hold or something kinda annoying because the AI doesn't do that attack easily, but overall I really like this mode and wished they add it for years.

Mediking, I'm not sure but I think Scarlet added Lei Fang and (Misaki?) Only so it's not worth it.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
SC6 has been having great top 8's at several events. I'd argue it's the most underrated game in the FGC right now. It's got some faults, but it's really good.

The base game is great. I like the new systems (except RE). But the three big patches have really soured me on the game. You can have awesome top 8s and still have a bad game. I've been discussing this in the SC thread, but from a gameplay standpoint I think the game was in a much better place at launch.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Man that lobby delay is really disappointing. Just let me play with my mates already.

Eolz ShinMaruku Hey did either of you get Dead or Alive Xtreme Scarlet? I already have Xtreme but is getting Scarlet worth it?
The only notable additions besides some new swimsuits and items is Leifang and Misaki. It's still the same grind and systems from Fortune/Venus. Only worth getting if you enjoyed the gameplay from the first versions.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Eolz ShinMaruku Hey did either of you get Dead or Alive Xtreme Scarlet? I already have Xtreme but is getting Scarlet worth it?
No. If you have the original Xtreme 3, there's no real point, unless you want the Switch version obviously. Also keep in mind there will be a F2P version like X3.
VV on PC will keep getting more characters (Christie was next in some old datamining), and X3S PS4 got features cut.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Here is my reply from KT regarding individual DLC on steam:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we have no plan to sell the costumes individually on PS4 and Steam, in the future.
However, we will carefully review your input and will share and consider your reports to the relevant department in charge of the product.

About our new products, please check the following URL for a new announcement.
http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/
http://www.koeitecmoeurope.com/

We would like to close our correspondence for your inquiry.

This page will be unable to post after one month from today.

For further inquiries, please post comments on this page within one month, or contact us from the following Contact Form.
https://koeitecmo.info/inquiry/kta/
https://koeitecmo.info/inquiry/kte/

Thank you for supporting our products.

Best regards,

Koei Tecmo Customer Support

At least they say they will review my input and share it with the relevant department. I'm not holding out any hope but at least they responded.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
With the way DOA6 was released so half-hearted and missing basic features including a deluxe edition that had content that should have been in the base game its no wonder it feels like its kinda falling into the background and not being received well. I'm starting to think this may be the last DOA, in it's normal fighting game form anyway (volleyball and other spin-offs will prob continue). It has some cool new fighting mechanics but most of the rest of the game is throw away. This should have been a grand game showing all the things they learned from DOA5 but as things stand DOA5 is a better game. I don't know that once they add the features that they say they are going to if it will even live up to 5 then.

I liked DOA5 but was disappointed by a few things (levels mostly) and was sure DOA6 would take what they did with 5 to the next level. The inclusion of meter is really cool but everything else falls back. It's disappointing as a fan of the series.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree Nuri. I love playing this game. The only thing 5 has over it is maybe the massive amount of costumes. I guess if you really like the launch/stun system in 5 it's better.

Honestly, not having lobbies is pretty garbage but the game clearly needed a bit more time. I also feel like this game gets roasted for a lot of shit other games get away with.