• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would've never believed you if you told me that after just a month of the release of a brand new DOA game I'd be feeling ice cold in regards to it. I'm basically done with the game at this point. They messed up everything there was to mess up, alienating every group of fans in one way or another. I honestly would've never believed I'd feel like this about my prior to this game probably favorite game series.

I don't even understand their initial marketing approach. At reveal the game looked like it was going to have a bigger budget and more emphasis would be put on clothing, destructive damage, etc... the fighting game community and esports would be front and center.

Their solution was to make skimpier outfits more expensive to unlock. :/

I don't even understand the wedding dress costumes. Is that a fetish or something? Why roll out with that content first?

I see myself wanting to go back to DOA5.
I still think DOA6 would be a better game if honoka and Marie rose were deleted from existence. So that April fools joke wasn't very funny to me 😒

These 2 characters killed the DOAX franchise. They're underage girls, not women. Even DOA vets like Tina are losing spots to new original character children characters. No international release, no fan fare, it's literally browser tier garbage.

Shimbori is killing Itagakis games. NG3 was trash, DOAX3 and ilk were trash, DOA6 is shaping up more like those 2. It's a cynical directionless mess with little thought or care put into it.

Not sure why they're focusing on Japan, more people in Japan bought Anthem than anything Team Ninja has released there this year.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'd care much if DoAX were to die. I find the idea of an all-swimsuit showcase DoA boring, especially when that approach started leaking over into 5:LR at the expense of other content, and no one who actually plays those says that anything other than the first one is actually a decent volleyball game (it's a glorified dating sim sub-series... with pole dancing).

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can see DOA6 being the last DOA fighting game for the time being, but them continuing to produce DOAX titles. They are cheap to produce, don't require much effort, they can monetize the hell out of them and DOAX fans will happily eat it all up.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
The damage might be done regardless if the rush damages them too much. Time will tell how it goes. Launch was horribly managed and the focus o esports to me is just another bad decision. But we will show how it ends up.

Where is the focus on esports? A world tour is par for the course for fighting games and requires minimal work for KT because it's mainly just throwing a small amount of money at existing events. DOA6 was very clearly rushed (or had a low budget), but you need to stop with this esports thing because you're completely off mark.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I avoided any replies since it was really negative in here this past week, with people feeding negativity off each other...
Their patch schedule is bi-monthly, so it makes sense it's coming this week. Good to see it confirmed, and hopefully the thread will be a bit better now :)

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you recover from going F2P 2 weeks after the release.
What incentive people have to buy anything when every character's description on Steam contains that sentence: "(This content may be offered for free for a limited period of time.)"
I really don't understand their policy with that game.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
People here don't seem to understand that the F2P business model is their most profitable one.

Oct 27, 2017
How is it profitable without microtransactions?
The only thing they sell that don't cost the price of a full game are characters and they warn the potential buyers that they may be free at some point.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
The only thing they sell that don't cost the price of a full game are characters and they warn the potential buyers that they may be free at some point.
Because you get a bigger userbase with a F2P model, and a bigger chance of getting whale users like this.
Buying all the content from the F2P version is more expensive than buying the full game, and even if a player only buys a few characters, there's a chance he'll be interested in buying more than that, and in buying costumes (which is why they're making so many), be it for only one character or for all of them if they become a fan. It's been really successful for DOA5.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

This. This is my biggest problem with DOA6. Just let us buy individual costumes for fucks sake.

Because you get a bigger userbase with a F2P model, and a bigger chance of getting whale users like this.
Buying all the content from the F2P version is more expensive than buying the full game, and even if a player only buys a few characters, there's a chance he'll be interested in buying more than that, and in buying costumes (which is why they're making so many), be it for only one character or for all of them if they become a fan. It's been really successful for DOA5.

Doesn't DOA5 allow individual costume purchases? Also, why would offering individual costumes affect getting whale users? I paid full price for the game and would happily spend $5 here and there like lots of others but have no interest in 75% of the characters on the roster.

On a positive note though - I really had fun playing this game online over the weekend. I was playing on Steam and there were some issues with running into the same fighters with shitty connections but I played for like 2 hours and had a blast. This is pretty much the only fighting game I play so I'm not great at it but I got into some pretty intense battles and rematches were a lot of fun too. Its a really gorgeous game (on PC 4k/60fps at least) and although it's missing some features It's the most fun I've had with a fighting game this generation without a doubt.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Should have talked regardless of the negativity. People are nautrally negative, you have to brush it off and discuss.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Should have talked regardless of the negativity. People are nautrally negative, you have to brush it off and discuss.
I don't see the point in repeating what I've said to you on Discord when you're repeating the same thing here too.
I get people being bummed out about lobbies and individual DLC, but at least their update timeline has been pretty clear. There was no need to lie and insist about how the game was rushed for esports and the lobbies would come in May when it was never true. I preferred to just wait a few days for them to just announce the lobbies instead of wasting time doing some back and forth that would lead nowhere and make negative people even more negative.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Very often these games miss their timeline by quite some time, so I give them the doubt (never the benefit in this industry) unless they can prove me wrong. They stated it was going to come in the launch month and they missed that, what reason do I have to trust their words? I just say May to be facetious to say I will believe when lobbies come when I see it.

Also sometimes you got to ignore the negative people because they are often miserable and just want company to be miserable with them as well.

I surmised that the rush for esports as a result of a discussion with someone in the scene where that was suggested as a reason to get it out for tourney season for various reasons. Tourney season tends to start near the end of fiscal years as well so it can be part of the reason. I also just have an antipathy to esports in general, it leads to fuckery that is not constructive.

There is just a crisis in trust and for some it's reasonable to not expect people to trust what is told to them when there is a history behind the mistrust.

Also I am a massive cynic. :E

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
There was no rush for eSports with this game, there was a rush for launching it within Koei Tecmo's financial year. Most of us knew that the game would not have enough time in the oven when it was first announced but no one expected it to be this major of an embarrassment.

Hoping they can stick with it though. I fully expect a Virtua Fighter style extended hiatus for the mainline series after this. Though, at least that probably means Ninja Gaiden 4 will become a new priority for the team.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

So basic lobbies like in 5 minus the text chat (that was always a pain to use) tomorrow.
Multi fights lobbies are the ones that were advertised at first (see the OP) and were in DOA4.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I began playing this game two days ago and had a lot of fun so far. Spent a little time in training mode and then hopped into online. I did pretty well for not knowing many of the basics yet but i also met a few players who shooled me and showed me my limit.

At my rank currently i have to get more serious if i want to advance it seems, but i have just so much fun just playing against other players. I'm also labbing two other fighting games currently and i need some action in between.

Online is ok when it comes to lag. Not the best i have seen but also not the worst. Just sometimes i have to wait a long time between matches.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I began playing this game two days ago and had a lot of fun so far. Spent a little time in training mode and then hopped into online. I did pretty well for not knowing many of the basics yet but i also met a few players who shooled me and showed me my limit.

At my rank currently i have to get more serious if i want to advance it seems, but i have just so much fun just playing against other players. I'm also labbing two other fighting games currently and i need some action in between.

Online is ok when it comes to lag. Not the best i have seen but also not the worst. Just sometimes i have to wait a long time between matches.

The one thing I will give the netcode credit for is the fact that you only notice how bad it is at higher levels of play. No offense meant to you at all, but I've seen a lot of people claim the netcode is fine (or not the worst), because they don't have a deep enough understanding of the game to know what should and should not work, and what crazy (to me) things people can get away with because of how bad the netcode is.

Without this knowledge, it "seems" as though the game plays pretty well online. I don't know if I'd call it a positive, but I give the netcode credit for that.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I will give the netcode credit for is the fact that you only notice how bad it is at higher levels of play. No offense meant to you at all, but I've seen a lot of people claim the netcode is fine (or not the worst), because they don't have a deep enough understanding of the game to know what should and should not work, and what crazy (to me) things people can get away with because of how bad the netcode is.

Without this knowledge, it "seems" as though the game plays pretty well online. I don't know if I'd call it a positive, but I give the netcode credit for that.
No offense taken. It might very well be that i'm just not knowledgeable enough about this game that i'm not seeing the flaws in the netcode. That you can get away with stuff online that you wouldn't be in an offline setting is something most FG's struggle with and that's why i'm not too bothered by it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Netcode is bad but I legit think I could never find a single match in DOA5 so I'm enjoying my time with DOA6, lol.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Patch including Lobbies is now live on the PC version.

EDIT: I'm confused by this... can you not watch the other fights? Never mind you just have to wait.

Last edited:

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
There was no rush for eSports with this game, there was a rush for launching it within Koei Tecmo's financial year. Most of us knew that the game would not have enough time in the oven when it was first announced but no one expected it to be this major of an embarrassment.

Hoping they can stick with it though. I fully expect a Virtua Fighter style extended hiatus for the mainline series after this. Though, at least that probably means Ninja Gaiden 4 will become a new priority for the team.
Whatever the rushed for is a big problem that they will and should suffer for. There should have been better planning for the game.
As for Virtua Fighter, you want Sega to give you a fighting game after this long a break?
I also think it's ded because Sega see no return on investment

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
As for Virtua Fighter, you want Sega to give you a fighting game after this long a break?
I also think it's ded because Sega see no return on investment
Yes I do! Pretty much everyone that matters that worked on VF5 is still at AM2 and they've done great work with netcode in recent years with titles like Border Break so I would only really expect an especially high quality entry. The only thing that concerns me is that I worry they might go too far or goofy with unique new mechanics or characters. No meter or fireballs, please!

If they outright wanted to move on from VF they would cut out all of the cameos, cross promotions and everything that the series still constantly gets. The new SEGA HQ literally has an entire giant room dedicated to Virtua Fighter centric meetings. I have no idea why they would do stuff like this and even list it as one of their core franchises if they thought there was no future to the brand.

1.03b patch
OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
1.03b patchnotes are quick:
- Added LOBBY MATCHES to PS4, Xbox One, and Steam versions of the game.
- For the PC version of the game, added a feature to alter graphics settings automatically only during online matches to prevent processing delays.

Next patch in two weeks as usual I guess. Should have text chat, the new dlc, and some bug fixes.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did they fix the messed up hair in the newest patch?

33644820638_2f319472c9_o.png

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Well they didn't touch the graphics since 1.03a (two weeks ago), so that'd be weird. Unless it's from the new PC setting.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I do! Pretty much everyone that matters that worked on VF5 is still at AM2 and they've done great work with netcode in recent years with titles like Border Break so I would only really expect an especially high quality entry. The only thing that concerns me is that I worry they might go too far or goofy with unique new mechanics or characters. No meter or fireballs, please!

If they outright wanted to move on from VF they would cut out all of the cameos, cross promotions and everything that the series still constantly gets. The new SEGA HQ literally has an entire giant room dedicated to Virtua Fighter centric meetings. I have no idea why they would do stuff like this and even list it as one of their core franchises if they thought there was no future to the brand.
They have all those side things because the IP has value, a fighting game based on the ip is where doubt is there. Why make a new game when people pay you rights and you get your money.

The input delay on consoles really needs to be ironed out.
That will be very hard to fix, it's tied to firm ware and general code. The fact these gits rushed does not bode well for such a change to come swiftly.

Kuksune

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden
I thought this update would reinvigorate my interest in this game. But to be honest, they have a long way to go with patches where the game will feel like a complete release. I think i'm dropping this game for now until it gets better and more content is out (stages, intros and characters).

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
They have all those side things because the IP has value, a fighting game based on the ip is where doubt is there. Why make a new game when people pay you rights and you get your money.
This comment is really confusing to me. They find the IP valuable but only for cameos? That really does not make sense considering VF is pretty openly known for not having especially interesting characters or locations.

Sometimes Japanese devs just do not feel comfortable putting their career on the line to push a new take on an old franchise. It happens with most series when the creator leaves. Mega Man is probably the most obvious and basic game you could follow up but it took Capcom almost a decade to start trying to push it again.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Xbox One X digital deluxe version turned into "Core Fighters" a little while back and I've been waiting for it to fix itself but that hasn't happened. Is DOA6 just called Core Fighters for everybody now or what?

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Xbox One X digital deluxe version turned into "Core Fighters" a little while back and I've been waiting for it to fix itself but that hasn't happened. Is DOA6 just called Core Fighters for everybody now or what?

Still looking for an answer on this, but I wanted to also say that I just spent a bit of time reading through the last couple of pages in this thread and I'm disappointed there's so much negativity here. I think DOA6 is a great game with some room for improvement, but overall still a really great package.

I like the stages a lot, I think the music is the strongest its been in a long time, the character models look fantastic, and the improvements to the fighting mechanics are all welcome. I don't love that unlocking costumes takes as long as it does (you have to basically unlock everything twice! Its kind of absurd) but I'm enjoying the game enough that I've made my peace with that. I also really like the wedding costumes (particularly Lei Fang and Nico) and the quality there really gets me hopeful for future content. Plus, I know Mai is coming back so that's exciting.

I know it seems lacking in features compared to DOA5:LR (which is seriously one of the best fighting games of this whole gen, in good company with Killer Instinct and Tekken 7) but I think they can build on it from here and I fully expect to see DOA6 Plus or Last Round or whatever at some point and I think by the time it gets there, it could be mind-blowing. I'm hoping they bring back some classic stages like The Forest (I never get tired of this one and it looks incredible in DOA5:LR) and the Opera House from DOA2. Would be nice to see a boss at the end of Arcade mode too, but I realize that's probably unlikely.

Anyway, I wanted to counter some of the negativity with some genuine love for the game. I hope it inspires others in here to do the same!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Holy crap, I was just watching KoeiTecmo Europe's Twitch channel and they were handing out codes.

I actually snagged a code for the PS4 DOA6 Season Pass. 89 freaking Euros!!!

I never won anything in my life, I feel so blessed! :D

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
There seemingly being no way to mute microphones on the Steam version is such a dumb fuck-up befitting of this game indeed. This shit is mind-blowing.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So, did people here start doing some lobbies?
Still looking for an answer on this, but I wanted to also say that I just spent a bit of time reading through the last couple of pages in this thread and I'm disappointed there's so much negativity here. I think DOA6 is a great game with some room for improvement, but overall still a really great package.

I like the stages a lot, I think the music is the strongest its been in a long time, the character models look fantastic, and the improvements to the fighting mechanics are all welcome. I don't love that unlocking costumes takes as long as it does (you have to basically unlock everything twice! Its kind of absurd) but I'm enjoying the game enough that I've made my peace with that. I also really like the wedding costumes (particularly Lei Fang and Nico) and the quality there really gets me hopeful for future content. Plus, I know Mai is coming back so that's exciting.

I know it seems lacking in features compared to DOA5:LR (which is seriously one of the best fighting games of this whole gen, in good company with Killer Instinct and Tekken 7) but I think they can build on it from here and I fully expect to see DOA6 Plus or Last Round or whatever at some point and I think by the time it gets there, it could be mind-blowing. I'm hoping they bring back some classic stages like The Forest (I never get tired of this one and it looks incredible in DOA5:LR) and the Opera House from DOA2. Would be nice to see a boss at the end of Arcade mode too, but I realize that's probably unlikely.

Anyway, I wanted to counter some of the negativity with some genuine love for the game. I hope it inspires others in here to do the same!
Nice post :)

For your issue, I'm not too sure, as I think most people here are either on PS4 or PC. Not too sure how the X1 version behaves, but I guess if it's like Steam, as long as you have every package, even if it says Core Fighters, you own the full version.
Holy crap, I was just watching KoeiTecmo Europe's Twitch channel and they were handing out codes.

I actually snagged a code for the PS4 DOA6 Season Pass. 89 freaking Euros!!!

I never won anything in my life, I feel so blessed! :D
Holy shit, congrats!
I won a DOA5 season pass code from them a long time ago (same as Azuardo ), but it was via Twitter and there's a lot less chances to win there nowadays.
There seemingly being no way to mute microphones on the Steam version is such a dumb fuck-up befitting of this game indeed. This shit is mind-blowing.
Yeah, I've seen that in some comments. I guess they'll fix it in the next patch just like the issue of not being able to invite core fighters players in the main version (it has to be the reverse to work)...