• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The better option would be to just patch out the zoom-ins and lens splatter entirely, making the added "Violence: Off" setting the default (or otherwise omit those things from the next-gen versions). It was always at odds with the tone and presentation of DoA in having Mortal Kombat crap like that there anyway.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
If people want to turn it off, they can turn it off. But, let's not act like Helena didn't shoot someone in the face point-blank as far back as DOA4. lol

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, fighting game stories. Well, that's not fair to the entire genre, even for as few exceptions as there are, so I'll amend that to, "ha, DoA stories". Nothing in the actual gameplay had been any worse than a typical T-rated fighter, with the M ratings always attributed to the cheesecake that actually has been part of the series from the beginning that they half-assed running away from in a failed attempt to convert people who never liked DoA anyway while making it obvious to their home market that it would still be business as usual.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Kula officially confirmed as the other KoF character joining Mai. Both due June 18th, will have five costumes each.

EDIT: Late in saying it, but yeah.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Kula actually looks pretty good.

Can't believe they are just reselling the Nurse, Maid and Playboy bunny costume for Mai. I literally bought a new DoA game to buy the same dlc.

Edit: costumes
D8ms5eXUIAEefvr

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Mai looks even better than in DOA5.
Kula has a different hair color than I expected, ice looked great.
The debut costume dlc was kinda expected.
Said the next updates for lobbies at the same time too (text chat everywhere and lobby rematch function).
Also said they're focusing on balance and welcomed feedback online.

Pretty cool stuff overall.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Absolute trash.

Just like with DOA6 in general.

No effort, literally almost everything rehashed even the DLC costumes, Garbo animations, underage girl number 4.

This is literally the opposite of the direction they said they were going in August.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I always really love to see the transitions characters make from either 2D to 3D or 3D to 2D fighters! I'm going to have to play some KoF this week so I can compare how the characters work.

Yeah I joked about it in the previous thread, but that's a good possibility.
The issue given how PSN is setup, I doubt they could change the behaviour of previous packs. It could be done on Steam though.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but from the site it sounds like its still sort of a set. The terminology of Debut Costume fallowed by Debut Costume set (5 costumes) is a bit confusing considering before an individual costume was termed as a Unit.

Was it ever confirmed to be an issue with PSN. Seems weird considering the Japanese PSN allowed individual costumes. I would love to know why they didn't do it on Steam considering FFDNT can do individual costumes and weapon skins no problem.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Was it ever confirmed to be an issue with PSN. Seems weird considering the Japanese PSN allowed individual costumes. I would love to know why they didn't do it on Steam considering FFDNT can do individual costumes and weapon skins no problem.
That's just a publisher choice.
Although platforms can have limitations, like when they stopped adding DLC on 360 for DOA5.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the prices listed on the JP site, it's pretty clear that they'll be following the same pattern as 5:LR for Kula and Mai ($8 per character, a premium of $3 for one costume, $16 for the character and every outfit at launch).

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Double post, but some news.
Stream 27h from now:

Individual costumes coming to Steam:

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like DLC sales were disappointing with their bundle-only model and now back pedaling on their fuck up.

who would've thought that people would rather pass on overpriced shitty bundles altogether with no way to buy separate outfits.... not clueless TN of course

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like DLC sales were disappointing with their bundle-only model and now back pedaling on their fuck up.

who would've thought that people would rather pass on overpriced shitty bundles altogether with no way to buy separate outfits.... not clueless TN of course
even if by chance full game buyers didnt mind the model, it flew in the face of the core fighters model.

Im still not quite sure they are fully backpedalling or just struggled with the logistics. The fact that they are only getting steam up to speed now and not yet PS4 tells me they want it this way everywhere but are struggling to get it that way

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah, it's way easier to change something on Steam than other platforms.
And as said in an earlier post, I really doubt that they'll be able to have individual costumes that already released on PS4. Planned from the start for future content seems to be what is happening though, thankfully. But yeah, they fucked up (who knows for which reason though, but seems like a publisher choice rather than a design choice (given how it's different per region/platform)).

Oct 25, 2017
since there wording does imply that not all costumes will be available outside of bundles...I'm hoping that just means the deluxe edition ones stay bundled. I think those ones are justifiable

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Double post, but some news.
Stream 27h from now:

Individual costumes coming to Steam:

Oh my! I'm so happy! Sounds like it might not be every costume but at least it sounds like they've listened.

since there wording does imply that not all costumes will be available outside of bundles...I'm hoping that just means the deluxe edition ones stay bundled. I think those ones are justifiable

This sounds fair. Of course I'm saying this because I bought the deluxe edition at launch but in my head it sounds fair. Maybe.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, is everyone not feeling the meter sidestep attack. I actually think its kind of neat change but I'm by no means an amazing player so I couldn't say with confidence if its a good change or not.

A bit late to this since I was out of town, but the biggest problem with the SS change is that it doesn't have a big impact on SS usage. It hurts Break Blow and Break Hold more than it does SS.

Team Ninja has a history of listening to Japanese players who are not competitive in other fighting games. This results in decisions that would be insane for any other fighting game, but that *some* DOA players will be okay with because they can't seem to be bothered with hitting the lab to learn new mechanics. The Japanese players love the change, while most US players hate it.

But as I've said before, the real issue is that DOA6 isn't balanced around any of the new mechanics. I doubt the devs will take the time to do that, so we're pretty much stuck with patch work fixes that don't even really address the issues.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
A bit late to this since I was out of town, but the biggest problem with the SS change is that it doesn't have a big impact on SS usage. It hurts Break Blow and Break Hold more than it does SS.

Team Ninja has a history of listening to Japanese players who are not competitive in other fighting games. This results in decisions that would be insane for any other fighting game, but that *some* DOA players will be okay with because they can't seem to be bothered with hitting the lab to learn new mechanics. The Japanese players love the change, while most US players hate it.

But as I've said before, the real issue is that DOA6 isn't balanced around any of the new mechanics. I doubt the devs will take the time to do that, so we're pretty much stuck with patch work fixes that don't even really address the issues.
Thanks for the response! That's an interesting perspective. For higher level players, are the new mechanics poorly balanced in a way that makes them too good, or not really useful?

At my relatively intermediate play style I'm really not seeing many people make a whole lot of use out of things like fatal rush and break blow, which is a bit interesting seeing as I believe the team said they introduced the mechanics for newer players.

I know its a different type of game, and perhaps the Japanese and western voices where largely the same, but it really seemed like Team Ninja was taking a lot of feedback outside of Japan for Nioh. If what you say is true its too bad they don't really listen to everyone like they did for that title.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the response! That's an interesting perspective. For higher level players, are the new mechanics poorly balanced in a way that makes them too good, or not really useful?

At my relatively intermediate play style I'm really not seeing many people make a whole lot of use out of things like fatal rush and break blow, which is a bit interesting seeing as I believe the team said they introduced the mechanics for newer players.

I know its a different type of game, and perhaps the Japanese and western voices where largely the same, but it really seemed like Team Ninja was taking a lot of feedback outside of Japan for Nioh. If what you say is true its too bad they don't really listen to everyone like they did for that title.

Usually when a new mechanic is introduced in a fighter, every character can use that mechanic well. Some will be able to use it better than others, but everyone gets at least decent use out of it. That's not the case with DOA6 and many of the new mechanics we have: Fatal Rush, Stun > Launch, SS Attack and Bound. For example, Team Ninja didn't go through every character's move list to change tracking moves. For the most part tracking moves are the same in DOA6 as they were in DOA5LR, despite a huge change to the SS.

From my experience, people don't want to learn their tracking attacks and weren't even really abusing the SS Attack before the nerfs. People just complained it was an easy out because they were trying to play DOA5 instead of actually looking into how DOA6 is supposed to be played. For instance, 90% of the time, I start my offense with a tracking move. I rarely see anyone else do this.

For DOA5 there was a "summit" of sorts where the devs and a bunch of top US, Japanese and Euro players got on a conference call to discuss how the game would evolve. The Japanese players got everything they wanted, no matter how much the US and EU players argued it wasn't necessary. The US/EU players got nothing they wanted. A big example was ceiling damage. Japanese players wanted it nerfed. US/EU players said a nerf wasn't necessary because it only happens in a handful of stages against a handful of characters. The devs didn't care about the US/EU argument and nerfed the ceiling damage anyway.

Same thing seems to be happening here.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Is the online in this game decently active? Got the free to play copy on steam and was thinking of grabbing a character

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Is the online in this game decently active? Got the free to play copy on steam and was thinking of grabbing a character
I played a decent amount last week. Things are little sparse but I wouldn't say its fully dead yet. You might have some periods where it takes a bit to find a ranked match, but there are still people who play. You'll run into a lot of the same people though, maybe many times in a row too. Things could pick up with the King of Fighters collaboration tomorrow for a little bit.

So yeah, one character wouldn't be the hugest waste, but there's not necessarily a lot going on right now. Grab best boy Eliot and have some fun. :)

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing Mai and Kula in DOA Central menus but anyway to buy them separately from the Season Pass on PS4? I can't seem to find the listing.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
The way the PS4 version works with the store is one of the weirdest things. We'll see today if I can actually access and download Mai and Kula from within the game and not have to resort to searching for it in the PS store itself like I have been since release.