• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So, how do they play? Not sure I want to dish out the cash for either of them right now.
I just started trying them out just a couple minutes ago. At the very least, I thought all the combo challenges where pretty fun though I had a bit of trouble getting a close hit instead of a regular hit on Kula's last combo.

As someone who pretty much exclusively plays 2D fighting games (only jumped in with DOA because of the 3DS game) its fun to have a couple moves that require motion inputs and some moves can be canceled into one another.

I think they are pretty fun, but if your not feeling like spending money now I don't think you would necessarily be missing out on a whole lot. Maybe buy your favorite one?

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
You can and it's easier.

Pretty sure you were referring to me and my adventures with accessing and downloading PS4 DOA6 DLC. So here's how I got Mai, Kula and the outfits:

Up until the last update, pressing triangle to access the PS Storefront for DOA6 (like DOA5 had) never connected to the PS Store. It timed out with an error. I would have to search for the DLC in the PS Store- searching for Dead or Alive 6, going to the game page, pressing down for add-ons and finding the new ones in the list. That was the only way to get it.

With the last update (previous to the KOF update) the PS4 DOA6 storefront became available. It worked! All of the previous DLC packs were there, but I already had everything. I figured this is how I'd download everything from here on out.

I'm not surprised, but nope. The KOF section in the PS storefront for DOA6 (pressing triangle at the menu screen) is greyed out. But this time I didn't have to go to the PS Store, then the DOA6 game page, then down for add-ins, etc.- I found there's an entirely new way now, via the DOA Central Wardrobe! So an entirely new method of accessing and downloading DLC content other than the method that KT set up within their own game.

In the Wardrobe, the character select tiles for Mai and Kula were there, and when selecting them it asked if I wanted to buy. That took me straight to the download page for the character. Then I had to restart the game to apply the licenses. Then I went back into Wardrobe to the new characters, then from there I could directly access the download page for each of the outfits, one at a time.

So I have yet to successfully download content from the built-in PS storefront from within DOA6. Still! It's so weird.

Love the game, and the quality of what they're doing is phenomenal, but this part of the experience has been dreadful.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Oh boy all that?! xD

I just pressed triangle then went to Kula and Mai and downloaded them, didn't even need to restart the game. XD

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Yeah, it was greyed out. Restarted the game, pressed L1 or whatever to 'reconnect', still greyed.

I was unaware of the Wardrobe method, I have the season pass and I'm on PS4.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Mai seems pretty easy to wreck shit with compared to the rest of the cast. Not a complaint, I like broken characters. The air throw finisher has easy, range-ey lead ins and hits like a truck.

I'd like to get in on weekend lobby but availability to play is hard to pin down.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Mai seems pretty easy to wreck shit with compared to the rest of the cast. Not a complaint, I like broken characters. The air throw finisher has easy, range-ey lead ins and hits like a truck.

I'd like to get in on weekend lobby but availability to play is hard to pin down.

She's actually nerfed from 5, the ninjas are still better. She is more fun though thanks to her new attacks, but she's a lot more unsafe now. She's in a good spot but not OP.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
As started before. We have weekend PS4 Lobbies every Saturday at 4:00 PM EST.
Let me know if you would like to join. We are trying to build up some pretty good sessions for 2 or so hours.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the status on single-item purchases on PSN? Any rumors of it coming soon? I think I read on Steam you can buy single outfits now when you couldn't before, so I'm hoping they finally make it happen on PS4.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
How's DOA on stick? I usually play fighters with stick. I see a lot of players use pad for DOA.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
i would have bought solo pirate lisa
Now i have darli filling the darkskin pirate bae role so its topo late
61072557_2297117863842394_7630916970878208360_n.jpg

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, I've been out of the loop on fighting games for awhile and just downloaded the free DOA6 game on Steam, and I'm completely blown away by it!

Too bad reaction threads isn't allowed, this excitement will be hidden here instead (maybe for the best?), but seriously, it's way to silent, people need to wake up a bit on this game.

To explain a bit. I bought Soul Calibur 6 on the Steam summer sale and played a few hours of that, created my own character and played around with that a bit as well. Decent fun. Quite impressed. Spectacular fights, lots of flashy attacks and effects, but something still made me go a bit "meh" deep inside. It just didn't feel like all that much had changed since SC5.

Then I thought I should check out DOA6, it wasn't on any sale so I just went with the free version for now.

And wow...

It's like stepping into a whole new generation, Team Ninja deserve some serious praise for this game, can't believe how much better it looks than SC6! Sure you can't make your own character but omg the details on everything is insane, can't believe how good it looks, I've been spamming F12 like nuts here taking screen shots. And best of all, it's fun to play! Holy crap. I'm just blown away right now. I'll hold off until the Steam summer sale is over, maybe the price goes down, but then I'm sooo jumping in on this. Super impressed by all of it!

(It crashed though... But hopefully it was just my old rig messing up and not an actual issue with the game)

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I would say more has changed between SCV and VI than between DoA5:LR and 6. DoA6 feels mostly like a rehash of 5:LR with less content and a good deal of asset reuse, by no means the sort of leap that it should've been given it took roughly the same amount of time for both franchises to count from 5 to 6. Won't say that there isn't asset reuse in SCVI, because there is at least some (mostly Create-a-Soul parts), but it seems more like a proper sequel than the sort of weird non-expansion that DoA6 turned out to be.

I think I'll stop there, because there's been no shortage of negativity concerning the game coming off of 5:LR, a good deal of which has been contributed by me.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
The negativity will never stop, so that is a pointless concern.

I have seen 2 massive tekker heads call tekker 7 trash and they have quit the game never to return again. It is what it is
I respect what they did because they seen where it is goong, wanted no part and left and abandoned the game.

Anyway, roll call for weekend lobby 4:30 est. Let me know if anyone wants to join.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone want to explain the Frame Data stats in training mode? Such as Mai's jab (idk what buttons are called in this game) is displayed as 9 (2) 13.

DLC plug: Please bring male KoF characters if you will not bring VF fighters back.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Startup frames (active frames) recovery frames.

Anything that's -6 can be punished by a guaranteed throw, or -5 if the opponent uses a grappler like Bass, Tina, Bayman I forget who else or if it's just these 3.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Startup frames (active frames) recovery frames.

Anything that's -6 can be punished by a guaranteed throw, or -5 if the opponent uses a grappler like Bass, Tina, Bayman I forget who else or if it's just these 3.
My man,

Thank you. What mindset should I develop with this game? Is it more footsie based like Tekken? Or is it Setplay/rushdown like the MK games? I don't play too many 3D fighters so idk what else to compare it to.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so dead on PC. I can never find a lobby match and I was in training for 15 minutes waiting for a ranked match and never found a match. There were a few but they all rejected. I guess I need to retire the game.

Kuksune

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden
This game is so dead on PC. I can never find a lobby match and I was in training for 15 minutes waiting for a ranked match and never found a match. There were a few but they all rejected. I guess I need to retire the game.
If you're on wifi then that could be why people reject matches. Try to Search again in the weekends. Most players play on the weekends.

Kuksune

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden
Jesus christ, why isn't Kula's ice breath negative on block?

Edit: NVM, just went into training mode to see that it's -13 on block.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm learning new characters for my biweekly tournaments, and it just continues to baffle me with how Team Ninja approaches character archetypes in this game.

You've got the i9 jabbers with i11 mids. What do they lose for being the faster than 2/3 of the cast? They all have good crush moves and lows that stun on normal hit. Many of them have launching throws and counters. Some even have catch throws.

You've got grappler characters who are generally slower (not Hayabusa), but what are they compensated with for being slower? Catch throws? The faster characters have those too. More damaging throws? That's debatable when you look at some of the launching throws the faster characters have. Do they hit harder? Not really. Better tracking options? Nope.

There could be a good game in DOA6 (from a competitive standpoint), and it wouldn't take that many changes to get to it, but what we have right now is pretty lackluster.

My man,

Thank you. What mindset should I develop with this game? Is it more footsie based like Tekken? Or is it Setplay/rushdown like the MK games? I don't play too many 3D fighters so idk what else to compare it to.

There aren't really footsies in DOA, and the neutral game is pretty weak. You can't really go into DOA like you would other fighting games. The most important skill in DOA is guessing right (reading your opponent). 90% of your movelist is unsafe on block, there isn't much guaranteed damage, character archetypes are unbalanced, hitboxes are completely crazy, and counters execute in zero frames. In addition, the poor netcode means you can't look at online as competitive practice. Works fine if you're just trying to play for fun though (although I'd still recommend avoiding wifi connections).

You'll have a ton of people attacking out of disadvantage, disrespecting frame advantage, and generally not using basic fighting game tactics. You really have to throw out everything you know about traditional competitive mind sets and start fresh if you want to do well in DOA. Not a bad thing if you're good at making reads or want a game that doesn't allow people to just sit there and block, but very different from the more traditional fighting games.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
There aren't really footsies in DOA, and the neutral game is pretty weak. You can't really go into DOA like you would other fighting games. The most important skill in DOA is guessing right (reading your opponent). 90% of your movelist is unsafe on block, there isn't much guaranteed damage, character archetypes are unbalanced, hitboxes are completely crazy, and counters execute in zero frames. In addition, the poor netcode means you can't look at online as competitive practice. Works fine if you're just trying to play for fun though (although I'd still recommend avoiding wifi connections).

You'll have a ton of people attacking out of disadvantage, disrespecting frame advantage, and generally not using basic fighting game tactics. You really have to throw out everything you know about traditional competitive mind sets and start fresh if you want to do well in DOA. Not a bad thing if you're good at making reads or want a game that doesn't allow people to just sit there and block, but very different from the more traditional fighting games.
Yomi time.

Sounds wild, yet resembles the brief time i played DoA5:LR.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Spent a couple of hours in training only to be greeted with minimal online activity. Most people seem to be idle and don't accept the match? Either that or every person is declining my ass lol (my connection is wired so idk why). Is online dead already?

I really appreciate the game telling you if you are about to fight a wired or wireless connection.

Edit: Lobbies is where it's at I guess. I'm genuinely having more fun with DoA 6 so far than DoA5 LR. Not sure who the whole "break" system has been received by the audience, but it's been fun so far.

Last edited:

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a DoA discord? I am now aware of to use Mai's toolset works (which moves should be used in neutral, what's safe on block, which moves to imitate wall combos + provide a good juggle state, etc). Yet I will admit that I can not for the life of me can't think of setups when I have oki or any combos that don't end with 3p+k,PK ,P+K and I am fixated on using 6PKK or 6PP as my combo starts after stun. I have hit a wall. I can't 3D fight.

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
If SP2 has more than 2 characters... I'll probably just buy them individually because the set will still cost $135 for me.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017