• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Now, for the record it's releasing on PC (via Steam and Oculus) first, but it is hitting a bit later this year for PS4/PSVR. Though the game is best enjoyed in VR, it is not VR-only and can be played on PC & PS4 without VR equipment.

Dead Secret Circle on Steam

Dead Secret Circle is a stand-alone sequel to the cult classic horror thriller game, Dead Secret. The original game was something of an underlooked indie horror gem, being developed by Robot Invader (which is lead by Chris Pruett, most famous as the author behind the fantastic "Chris' Survival Horror Quest" website, where he's spent over a decade chronicling his opinions on various horror games and trends). I really liked the atmospheric subtle horror of Dead Secret, so I've been anticipating this follow-up.

Dead Secret Circle is a stand-alone sequel to the original Dead Secret (it has some story ties to the original game, but it can be played and understood alone). It is a horror mystery game set in Chicago in 1971, Patricia Gable's (a woman investigator and protagonist of the first game) investigation of a serial killer leads her to a condemned apartment building in East Chicago. There she finds people living on the margins of society, too poor or too stubborn to leave, each with something to hide. The building nearly vibrates with secrets. And strangely, Patricia feels like she's been there before.

You investigate and interrogate the people in the apartment, all while something strange and a bit surreal seems to be going on. There's also a killer on the loose, and it seems they don't want you snooping around the place or their recent killings.

The game chimes it is a 'hardcore horror thriller' aimed at fans of horror and mystery games, involving real puzzles, exploration, survival, item management, and interrogation to progress through the game, focusing on an atmospheric horror that doesn't rely on cheap scares but works to unnerve you and never make you feel safe, while telling a complex and mysterious narrative with multiple paths through the game and endings.

ss_7fc3a5653379393a6f886ecc53b4c9be07faef19.600x338.jpg

A few people got their hands on the game, including a friend of mine who's been giving it a lot of praises. There's also one written review so far for the game at the time of writing, which I'll include:

Reviews:

SquareXO - 9/10
Dead Secret Circle is a great sequel to an immersive and unique game. It's taken the formula of things which worked, the exploration, interaction, horror, and supernatural elements, and improved on almost every aspect in order to deliver yet another truly disturbing adventure game. As you investigate The Laughing Man, the tenants and the apartment building, you will discover more about the situation and the people involved than you could ever wish to know. The game doesn't require you to find every last secret and piece of information, but upon playing the game, you'll want to go out of your way to find everything as it's such an interesting world.With it's improved controls, new mechanics and bigger environments, Dead Secret Circle is a great game for those who enjoyed the first title and people who like adventure games in general. I would say this game is more akin to an adventure game than a horror one, even though it has 'run and hide' elements, due to the number of puzzles and investigations mechanics in place over the scares. If you can look past the fact the game looks a bit 'basic', due to it being a VR game which you can also play non-VR, then you'll find another hidden gem here, just like the original game (which you should also get if you like this genre of game).

I plan to play through it soon and post my own impressions here a bit later, but as I loved the original game (despite being something of an underlooked gem) and the praises from a horror enthusiast friend and this pretty well written review, I think there's a high chance there's another gem on their hands here.

Here's some additional screens just to top the title off:

ss_2f43b08f7a7c4d70adc9cb024e07b059ca919e94.600x338.jpg
ss_736ac6c0186e5f30ee8f6cd0ffa5c2d0f59be838.600x338.jpg
ss_55e3808b0de5983bce4483a6fc97bd407ab330ee.600x338.jpg
ss_a0700240d73052f4b32626dcc32e8638b8c5187d.600x338.jpg

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I've never heard of this but damn I'm intrigued now. Looks super cool. When's the console release, is there a locked in date?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of this but damn I'm intrigued now. Looks super cool. When's the console release, is there a locked in date?
I don't believe there's an exact lockdown on it, they only locked down the PC release date a few weeks ago and released it just today. They did mention they're aiming for Summer for PS4, but no promises on that quite yet.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
The first game is my favourite game I've played on my Gear VR, really creepy without resorting to jump scares. Hopefully this comes to Gear VR considering that's where the first one started off

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
the original was the first game I played through in VR, had no idea they were doing a sequel.

will pick up on PSVR when it hits

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The first game is my favourite game I've played on my Gear VR, really creepy without resorting to jump scares. Hopefully this comes to Gear VR considering that's where the first one started off

I looked it up, and indeed it does seem to support Gear VR: https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/04/dead-secret-circle-reveals-new-trailer/

"Dead Secret Circle is due to launch on Oculus Rift and Samsung Gear VR later this year, with a non-VR version also available on Steam."

So you're covered there, didn't know that myself.

I had never heard of the first one until this thread. Might check it out on the PS4.

It's a little gem, I'd recommend it if you like slow-burn horror with a tinge of surrealism and mystery/thriller elements. It seems they improved the investigation and mystery stuff for the sequel though. I also should mention to anyone if haven't played the first game that the first game is already available on Steam/PS4, and the first game supports VR/PSVR as well.

the original was the first game I played through in VR, had no idea they were doing a sequel.

will pick up on PSVR when it hits

I always was under the impression the game was a little cult title that probably didn't do well enough for a sequel, but happy to be wrong here and excited to try this one out myself a bit later.

Twinsen64

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Has anyone played this yet? there is nothing on metacritic yet even though there's a review in OP.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played this yet? there is nothing on metacritic yet even though there's a review in OP.
The indie horror scene kinda' works retroactively most of the time, IE most major sites don't cover indie horror games UNLESS they've grown to be popular. Dead Secret (the original) sorta' came and went, but it was a little gem that reviewed well with the target audience. Hopefully the sequel gets more fan fair, but to be seen. I do plan to play it a bit later, but won't be able to today, but I'll try to post in-depth thoughts later on the title. This said, I did love the original game, and I suspect from the bits and pieces I know I'll probably love this one (as it sounds like they deliver in the areas the first game delivered on, such as the atmosphere and subtle horror elements, and up the quality of other elements that were half-baked in the first game, most notably for me was the investigation element, which was present in the first game but a bit underbaked. Sounds like they've greatly improved and involved it more into the game this time around though).

Wallchicken

Nov 1, 2017
Saw this game at a discount on psn. Seems right up my alley. Any word on how the game is performance wise?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this game at a discount on psn. Seems right up my alley. Any word on how the game is performance wise?

As the sequel isn't on PS4 yet, you probably saw the first game, Dead Secret: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/dead-secret-ps4/

Now one key thing I'll mention is while the sequel is free movement, the original is point'n'click (though with real-time transitions from space to space and 360 turning movement), but the actual performance of the PS4 version is good, it runs at 60fps (and sorta' has to due to being available on PSVR).

wossname

Dec 12, 2017

Wallchicken

Nov 1, 2017
As the sequel isn't on PS4 yet, you probably saw the first game, Dead Secret: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/dead-secret-ps4/

Now one key thing I'll mention is while the sequel is free movement, the original is point'n'click (though with real-time transitions from space to space and 360 turning movement), but the actual performance of the PS4 version is good, it runs at 60fps (and sorta' has to due to being available on PSVR).
Ahh gotcha. I hoped the game would have a solid frame rate considering it looked fairly low poly in the screenshots, so the 60 fps is good to hear. So do they have plans on releasing the sequel on PS4, and is the original worthwhile or should I just wait?