• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
So I've got a month of EA Play on steam, I installed Dead Space 2 but when I try to launch it, it asks for an activation code lol, even though I got the game from EA Play.
I went to check the support forums for this game and it seems like everyone is having this problem now, and the only solution is to talk to EA support. They will add Dead Space 2 to your Origin account, it works there but if you want to play it on steam you are out of luck.

It's kidna unacceptable to have the game on the steam storefront while it's completely unplayable there, even people who purchased the game years ago had their keys revoked and they don't work anymore, apparently other old EA games like ME2 suffer from the same problem on steam but I'm not sure about that.

TLDR: Dead Space 2 asks for a non-existing activation code if you try to play it on steam and you need to ask support to add the game to your origin account in order to play it on PC.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I bet this has to do with the unlimited keys people could sell from a few weeks ago. I saw they "fixed" it but I never heard what the fix was.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Dead Space 3 on steam a couple weeks back. I'm guessing it will be the same.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
OMFG
I downloaded it just to test and I can't start the game
I bought "Dead Space 2" years ago and now I have EA Play on Steam

I bought it like 5 years ago or so... I mean if they keep selling it it is basically scam. Having to go to the support to get the game on origin isnt making it any better tbh.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Just checked my purchase from 5 years ago and lo and behold it doesn't launch because of missing cd key (which can always be found under the "manage" option for steam games), I guess when they removed that option for EA games in order to plug that glitch they actually did it for legit owners too.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a bug in Dead Space 1 that prevents you from going to the next area. Basically, the door that is supposed to open, won't open and you're stuck. This has nothing to do with Steam though. I bet EA still haven't fixed this.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is this shit? I am gonna test this bullshit out right now and report back.

Nov 25, 2018
There is a bug in Dead Space 1 that prevents you from going to the next area. Basically, the door that is supposed to open, won't open and you're stuck. This has nothing to do with Steam though. I bet EA still haven't fixed this.
Played through it on steam last year and the bug was still present. Have to disable v-sync to progress if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently a no dvd patch can fix it. That's what I'm reading on the forums. Kinda BS you have to essentially crack a game you own.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Well shit. I loved the first one but hadn't gotten around to 2 yet and I've owned it for years. I'm too lazy to talk to support as well lol

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some EA games are busted on Steam. I have Alice Madness Returns and you cannot play that game either on steam have to install Origin.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some EA games are busted on Steam. I have Alice Madness Returns and you cannot play that game either on steam have to install Origin.
Yeah, I realized this earlier this year. I played the game years ago and it wasn't like this. Valve honestly needs to do something about this nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017
I had the game for ages on Steam; it's installed but haven't gotten around to play it. Sure enough I just tried launching it and have the same issue. Steam reviews indicate this was due to a (recent?) update. Yay : (

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

I think BF3 is another one. It might work eventually but you to put like hours into getting the game to run. not only on steam but on origin too.
for one you have to create a new origin account if you own the game on origin already because otherwise you cant even register it.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Confirmed, bought Dead Space 2 on Steam many years ago, not functional anymore.

Needing to use a DVD crack on my digital version of the game? What a load of bs.

How can I get the game onto Origin? Support chat is unavailable.

EDIT: My version on Steam doesn't show the "CD" key, where is it.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Confirmed, bought Dead Space 2 on Steam many years ago, not functional anymore.

Needing to use a DVD crack on my digital version of the game? What a load of bs.

How can I get the game onto Origin? Support chat is unavailable.

EDIT: My version on Steam doesn't show the "CD" key, where is it.
From what I gather, all keys were removed. I don't have one either. I was able to get it working though through the workaround. They better fix this.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
I played through Dead Space on Steam 2 years ago and Dead Space 2 last year. I'm not sure what causes that door glitch but I didn't run into it. Played through both with no issues. I think Origin gave away the trilogy for free or really cheap at some point because I have them all on there already. Hopefully they'll fix the key situation or patch it out for everyone affected.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
From what I gather, all keys were removed. I don't have one either. I was able to get it working though through the workaround. They better fix this.
The keys were removed because people were signing up to EA Play, grabbing the keys for the old games, and selling them, redeeming them on Origin, or redeeming them on other Steam accounts.

edit: Just tried booting Dragon Age Origins, and it came up with the validation error thing, but only flagged the DLC. I managed to get in game and all of my DLC is showing active and I can play the Awakening expansion, so the impact might vary across titles.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The keys were removed because people were signing up to EA Play, grabbing the keys for the old games, and selling them, redeeming them on Origin, or redeeming them on other Steam accounts.
That's not a good reason to remove keys from people who legitimately own the game and have for years. They're still selling the game on the storefront, and it won't work unless you crack it. They need to actually find a resolution that works and doesn't just screw everyone. No, giving out keys on another launcher is not a fix.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a good reason to remove keys from people who legitimately own the game and have for years. They're still selling the game on the storefront, and it won't work unless you crack it. They need to actually find a resolution that works and doesn't just screw everyone. No, giving out keys on another launcher is not a fix.
Of course it's not, but it's the reason why it's gone. They probably didn't bother testing things after the fact. If they had, they wouldn't have left it as their solution.

But since Valve is Valve, getting a correction will take a lot longer than it did for people getting a bunch of keys for $5.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Am I gonna have to add this to my list of games no longer playable on Steam, along with Tron Evolution?

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I have seen people saying they've had some luck contacting Steam support and getting a key. I have just contacted them myself, hopefully this issue can be resolved. I bought the game just last December when they put all of the Dead Space games back up on Steam. Have only gotten around to revisiting it now, and of course to only discover this...

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Played through it on steam last year and the bug was still present. Have to disable v-sync to progress if I remember correctly.

Just played through it recently. It's only if you try running it over 60fps, freaks out the physics engine.

OT: I just bought DS2 like a month ago. Gonna have to try to download it now and try it out. Crap.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Just played through it recently. It's only if you try running it over 60fps, freaks out the physics engine.

OT: I just bought DS2 like a month ago. Gonna have to try to download it now and try it out. Crap.

Purchase date doesn't matter. EA completely removed the ability to view the key:

screenshot_2021-03-04laj8k.png

Unless you happened to view it in the past and save it somewhere, it's gone.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Why is this happening? I thought EA games were back on Steam and both are in good terms now.

People were signing up to EA Play, getting their keys, and activating them on Origin so they'd permanently own the game (or selling them to other people so they could do the same). I don't think there's there's anything Valve can do, and looking at it from EA's perspective, the only alternative I can see is updating these "legacy" games with Origin integration, which is probably viewed as too much work.

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, but is it only about the old version? Or if I buy DS2 on Steam right now it also will not work? Lol

Oct 25, 2017
EA seems to love selling unplayable games. Titanfall's recent reviews are also "overwhelmingly negative" because the servers are down in a MP only game.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Weird just played through both games on Steam a month ago. I remember when downloading that it said I would need a code but then it started regardless.

If they fix would it kill them to add achievements?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucked up. I used that same key to activate my Origin version of it (crazy times!), so I wonder if it's stored there.

Edit: to be clear, this was years ago with a purchased copy, not these newfangled subscription hijinks.
Edit 2: the key for DS2 does indeed show up in Origin if you go to the properties for that game, so I wonder if it can somehow be activated this way.
Edit 3: upon reinstalling the game, I got a pop-up that the (default) key was invalid, so I copied the key I had from Origin (that was my original Steam key) and this activated the game successfully.

Last edited:

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I'll try to fire up the game after work and will be prepared to get annoyed. There better not be any origin shit required after it gets fixed.

OP
OP
Sha_96

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
That's fucked up. I used that same key to activate my Origin version of it (crazy times!), so I wonder if it's stored there.

Edit: to be clear, this was years ago with a purchased copy, not these newfangled subscription hijinks.
Edit 2: the key for DS2 does indeed show up in Origin if you go to the properties for that game, so I wonder if it can somehow be activated this way.

I've tried using the origin code (after they added it to my account) on steam but it also doesn't work :/

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
EA revoking legit keys, Ubisoft deleting ubi accounts after 6 months of not being signed it...
What is going on?!

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, this is bullshit.
Thanks for the info op, i'll give it a try later.
I've bought and completed DS3 around december but i dunno if this is a recent issue.