• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Hey Dead Space Community,

Thank you for checking out last month's audio livestream! If you weren't able to catch it, we showcased the Audio Design for the remake of Dead Space that we've been working on here at Motive. In the previously mentioned stream we also revealed that the remake will be coming early next year!

Just like we explained last time, we're giving you an early, behind the scenes look at how we are proceeding in the re-creation of this iconic game. Hearing your thoughts and receiving your feedback is important to us. When we showed you the Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle not everyone was sold on it, and there were a handful of criticisms that felt they could still be better. We believe that the feedback given was definitely valid and reading the comments on what was highlighted, we made a few modifications that we think improves it!

The usual disclaimers, everything you see and hear is still a work in progress. We're not looking at the visuals, animations, textures, or models today. This is just to show the updated sound of the Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle based on the community's feedback to what we showed in the livestream.

The sense of power from weapons comes with the full experience, as it's not only the core sounds you'll hear, but also the impact on surfaces, and the effects on the environments. You'll notice the Plasma Cutter frequency range has been rebalanced to focus more on the kick, as well as the lower end. Overall, this better aligns to that "feel" that so many of you mentioned with the original. With the Pulse Rifle, you can hear now that the rhythm is a bit more chaotic and not as tight as the previous version. There's a bit more volume from the environmental reaction, as well as more feedback from surface impacts. We'd love to hear what you think of these new versions so please share with us your thoughts.

Now if you are interested in the previously disclaimed visuals, keep a lookout for the art livestream we have planned for May!

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Woah look at that... people complaining about something a year away from completion and they fixed it....
I'm just happy they are transparent on everything it's a nice change

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Plasma Rifle sounds vastly better than the one in March and I think I prefer it over the original. New Plasma Cutter is better than the March update although I still slightly prefer the original.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
For some reason this remake in particular baffles me. Dead Space is already a technically competent, modern feeling game. People are requesting that the sounds be more like the original. At what point do we just play the original? Are any of the other Dead Space games being remade? Again, why? Wasn't the series kind of killed off by EA?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason this remake in particular baffles me. Dead Space is already a technically competent, modern feeling game. People are requesting that the sounds be more like the original. At what point do we just play the original? Are any of the other Dead Space games being remade? Again, why? Wasn't the series kind of killed off by EA?
My guess- the remake is a cheaper project for EA than developing a brand new Dead Space game would be. Dead Space has persisted in the discourse online for years, so I'd guess this is EA's relatively low risk test to see if there is legitimate, mainstream interest in the franchise or if its just a loud minority online. If this game sells well I would imagine we will see a Dead Space 4 in the future. Plus, this gives Motive good experience working within the Dead Space franchise if they do get tapped to make a brand new game down the line.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
I think they just don't know what else to do with it with the way that Dead Space 3 was received. Dead Space 4 would not have had much of a shot at big success after that game.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good thing they fixed the animations. They looked awful in the remake.

But honestly, this remake is pointless.

Dead Space (original) at 4k60 with Reshade looks more than good enough.
g71VLA9.jpg

Vt0ephu.jpeg

Jsim4ib.jpeg

Z6lrxY2.jpg

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still slightly prefer the old plasma cutter sound, but it's really close now. I didn't like the original sound that they showed off a month or so ago.

I was never really in love with the original plasma rifle, so I was mostly OK with the new sound. The even newer version sounds even better.

Well done.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear, ha, they sounded pretty bad on that stream.

It's entirely possible they may have changed it themselves down the line anyways, but nice to know they aren't shipping with what we heard.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The original (and Dead Space 2, I believe) were made on a now-defunct engine that EA doesn't use anymore. As a result, a remaster would have been just as much developmental work as a remake.

MS did the hardware work to make the old games playable on the XSX but the games are not available on modern PlayStation hardware.

The remake tests current audience interest for the franchise, not just people who already bought the old versions a decade ago, and it gets it on modern platforms. You may not see the need for it, but if you ever want more Dead Space, picking up the remake is the thing that shows that to EA.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

g71VLA9.jpg

Vt0ephu.jpeg

Jsim4ib.jpeg

Z6lrxY2.jpg

People keep saying this but isn't the PC port supposed to be kind of bad, with weird mouse acceleration issues and random crashes and whatnot? I don't need a remake just to fix those issues, of course, but if it means we get a good quality PC version then I'm all for it.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

g71VLA9.jpg

Vt0ephu.jpeg

Jsim4ib.jpeg

Z6lrxY2.jpg

Pointless to you sure, I don't have a PC or mods. So I will gladly take a remake developed to take advantage of current tech. No mods or PC required.
:p

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
You know it used to sound like WHUD and then it sounded like WHAD and now it sounds like WHOUD so cool I guess.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think the plasma rifle def needed some tweaking sounded too much like a gun and less electronic, the plasma cutter prob wouldve been fine, but I can see where there isn't A muffled sound a bit to give for how it sounds being on the ship and seemed like that wasnt taken into account.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I think I still prefer the original sound, but the new rifle sound isn't bad at all. I feel like the old sound sounded a bit more like you'd expect a gun to sound when being fired on a space station/ship.

However, I'm more worried that the new game might be a bit too colorful and bright, which might take away some of the feeling of bleakness the original game(s) had. Dead Space 1 had a really distinctive look that just oozed bleak horror for me. It's why I'm also not sure I'd ever want a Morrowind remake.

Pointless to you sure, I don't have a PC or mods. So I will gladly take a remake developed to take advantage of current tech. No mods or PC required.

Also, this. It's weird to see people say a remake is pointless because you can play it with mods on PC, as if they forget that there are millions of people who don't game on PC.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I mean I agree but we are just talking about gun audio here not changing the story or gameplay.

Which further proves how insignificant the complaints are?

I had no problems with the original sounds but good for fans I guess.

I really love them showing us this much detail on a work in progress game, but the amount of bitching just further proves no studio will attempt a transparent development like this again.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, because what they changed was just off. Makes me wonder what else they changed

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the sounds from the live stream, but I gotta say, these are even better.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there was any moment where they were satisfied with the March version.

This just seems like the game development equivalent of handing the community the player 2 controller in a single-player game.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati

I really love them showing us this much detail on a work in progress game, but the amount of bitching just further proves no studio will attempt a transparent development like this again.

So constructive complaints is bitching now? Cause I sure don't remember the outpour of extreme hostility, just people bringing up the fact it sounded weaker.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It still plays like a modern game. They could have easily upscaled this for the current gen and sold it for ÂŁ10.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It still plays like a modern game. They could have easily upscaled this for the current gen and sold it for ÂŁ10.
Dead Space 2 plays a lot better than Dead Space if we're talking mechanics. If you aren't excited about DS2 style zero g and TK, then... well... I can only shrug. Furthermore, a more modern lighting engine is going to do absolute wonders for the atmosphere.

Plus, it means that for people like me that know the original game really well, I can get the same kind of subversion of my expectations that the Resident Evil remake pulled off so brilliantly. Replaying a horror game over and over isn't the same as playing a remake for the first time.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
See? Complaining WORKS.
Honestly this seems so obvious that my guess is they were just using that animation for testing and it would've gotten fixed anyway. Consumers just aren't used to seeing stuff like that and freaked out. Saying they fixed it due to consumer feedback is easy marketing points though.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

But it's not a 1:1 remake. To some degree it's more along the lines of RE2R where they're taking the base game and then looking to see how they can improve it through how the series and technology have advanced.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, still kind of like the pew pew laser sounds of the originals more. Both versions of the new ones sound a little too boomy like they're just a normal big pistol or normal assault rifle or something.

Nice of them to show the development process like this though, especially since DS1 is renowned for its great sound. Still not super sure that this remake/retooling is needed since the 1st game still holds up pretty well but I'll be curious to see how this turns out.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The known upgrades for lighting, audio, and dismemberment that they've shown already shit on that idea as far as I'm concerned.
And with a lot of people not having played the series before a remake is the better option. Make the horror experience that much better.
And then if there are people who don't want to play it and think it's not worth it they can just stick to the current release.
It still looks good and doesn't play like an old game so they won't be missing out on anything right? :p

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I doubt there was any moment where they were satisfied with the March version.

This just seems like the game development equivalent of handing the community the player 2 controller in a single-player game.
Masterful metaphor. I was gonna say something along these lines in a way more boring way.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm so happy they fixed the pulse rifle. Sounds vastly improved. Very, very happy with the transparency of their development process.

This could end up being pretty big for Motive.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
For fuck's sake they're remaking Dead Space on the cheap (relative to a full on sequel) to gauge interest in an eventual new title in the series, it's not that deep and no your average dead space enjoyer does not have a pc and know-how or the will to mod it for reshades and shit so yes it abso-motherfucking-lutely serves a good purpose.

There, now that question is taken care of. And it IS taken care of.
NEXT.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they both sound good and the complaints were overblown. But it's nice to see the devs are listening to feedback.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I saw lots of "WTF it looks unfinished" takes online, and my only thought was "well... yeah?"

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the stuff being specifically complained about were placeholders in any case. From what little PR-type stuff I've done in my working life, I've often found it's easier to provide as little detail as possible outside of saying "yeah, we'll fix it".

Getting to see how stuff like the sound propagation system works in a game well before it's released is really cool.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Plasma cutter sounds better, new rifle sounds worse as it's closer to an actual rifle that shoots bullets and not energy