• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
As you may know, Dead Space remake has had a series of livestreams focusing on audio engineering, showing pathways where they can improve on the original. There's actually some really interesting pieces of audio engineering and how they have a clear vision to enhance the sound of a horror game, which is super important.

They have reiterated three times that the footage in itself is placeholder and a first pass and they want to be open about this because they want feedback and be transparent with the community, as they have explained that they wanted from them to show their audio system. Which is why it says it's all development footage in the footage itself.

Well the community has struck back:

It doesn't matter that the livestream showcases footage where the remake is noticeably darker and they said that lighting is not final

B2v0FW3.png

JkQ3zFp.png

Nor does it matter the audio side of things is actually really promising if you look at the videos, the pulse rifle does sound great, and there's some great feat of audio engineering, even one where Isaac will have three different takes of the same line depending on his state (Running, Injured, Calm).

youtu.be

Dead Space | The A.L.I.V.E. System | Audio Deep-Dive Part 1 (2022)

THIS LIVESTREAM MAY CONTAIN CONTENT NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL AUDIENCES.Motive invites you to the latest in their series of early looks at the development of the ...

Considering the reaction despite the massive disclaimer, it seems to me that there is no way developers can win by being open about what they're doing. Now people call it a shit remake and immediately decided it's not worth anything when all devs wanted was feedback and showcase what they're working on.

Should it spell the end of open communication and go back only to vertical slice without involving the fans? I think the message to Electronic Art & Motive is quite clear from these reactions.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gamers: we want more transparency!

devs: *gives it*

gamers: why so ugly tho!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
And people wonder why devs are so secretive of their projects in-dev.

People are just too stupid. You can't show them shit half done because they are too stupid to understand what is something as simple as "work in progress".

Oct 27, 2017
People thrash things on Twitter all the time. It's whatever. When the game is near release or more finalized it'll speak for itself

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
People are cunts, or they just don't understand how games are made. Maybe a little of both. Here we have a dev that wants to let the audience and fans in on how they're building upon the original and they get shit for it? Of all the things to be mad about in the industry, this ain't one of them.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
They showed it online, ofc this will happen lmao

Its on them sorry, maybe show it when you are ready

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. People are fundamentally presumptuous and make hasty judgments with little information constantly. And Gamers™ operate like that, except supercharged.

Gamers say they want "transparency" but aren't actually prepared for what that means. That said, they've been conditioned that way by how the industry operates. Movie fans aren't quite as bad about early footage (note, I said movie fans, and not casual nitwits who comment willynilly on what passes their social media feeds).

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
everyone complains when they see their faves with better graphics then they shut up when it comes out. same old same old. ive done it myself. hell i thought dmc5 looked shit after being gone for a decade and revealed with super realistic models but then it came out and i never said another bad word about it again

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, I feel like the whole "We're going to let you, our beloved fans, in on the development process!" gambit almost never works out.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Im surprised oshry, who's a dev, is reacting this negatively to alpha footage

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is all part of the Community's Plan for when it comes out looking shinier...they can all be like:

"SeE? CoMmUnItY fEeDbAcK hElPs!1!1!"

Then they'll all be like:

EmbellishedRadiantArmyant-size_restricted.gif

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This stuff triggers me lol, people were making comments about the visuals in the era thread too. The devs did everything right in their stream, stressing over and over that they were about to show off WIP footage with placeholder assets.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it happens all the time and people ask for devs to be more transparent. This is what happens when they do.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
That's why most publisher prefer to NOT show their games during development and also why announced game tend to "disappear" for long periods of time before showing up again

What's funny is that people complain when publishers stay silent and don't show new footage of their games for longer periods, but when they actually do they still complain in-development games look "rough" lol

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened here. People are really dumb and are only used to see polished trailers or vertical slices.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Let's not pretend Era have a high ground.
Every "not final" Pokémon trailer is completely trashed here for exemple (while every single time with gamefreak, the final game is way better).

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
That's why dev diaries are a rarity, people are fucking stupid.
They made like 5 disclaimers in the video and people in the livechat were still complaining about animations and whatnot.
One of the devs made a joke about it, 'yes, this is how it will look in the final build'.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not pretend Era have a high ground.
Every "not final" Pokémon trailer is completely trashed here for exemple (while every single time with gamefreak, the final game is way better).
Half of the livestream thread was about this same thing, so yeah, Era is not a saint at all lol

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Exact same reactions here lol. I thought it looks and sounds fantastic especially for a WIP. They still have like over a year to go to work on it… tons of time. It's very promising imo and I'll be excited to dive in to dead space for the first time with this

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
Don't bother remaking games recent enough that people aren't universally blown away by your "upgrades" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand why are they showing off the unfinished game in little bits every few weeks like this, just make the thing and show it when it's done. Gamers are assholes and won't provide any meaningful criticism, they don't understand how a project like this changes during development

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Why do GAMERS never find value in gaming? What is wrong with these people? Why do all of them sound like boomers?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That was so predictable I'm surprised the devs went for it.
It's cynical, but it's true. I appreciate the transparent approach from a massive publisher, but this isn't really going to benefit the devs or the potential sales of the game any more than a traditional marketing cycle would. As a fan of games I enjoy it, but there are kind of needless downsides

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
To be fair, most of the posts say that it also sounds awful, which it does. Like it could be differences in environment, maybe they're putting effects on it based on location/area/sound reflections... but the weapons don't have the same impact as the ones they're comparing to, and some don't even have the same effects on them.

Honestly to avoid this they could have just posted it with a picture of the weapon they were showing.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

I think the transparency EA/Motive are showing here is commendable and should be done more often even though hot take keyboard warriors are the reason why companies don't share previews and WIP often.