• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so this is a subject that struck me recently. During Giant Bomb's deliberations on GOTY, the concept of fridging (a term spawned from comics, about how female characters, often love interest, end up permanently maimed, dead, etc. to motivate male characters) came up with regards to God of War. Some of the people at the table seemed to be unfamiliar with this trope, and that kind of took me aback; even if the term might be a bit inside baseball, there's a lot of examples of this, be it explicitly fridging or a dead wife in general. How many? Well, after a tweet riffing on it today, and a look at Giant Bomb's own wiki page about "widowers" (which... I might have added a few entries that came to me off the top of my head), I decided to think about how many times we see a Dead Wife in games.

The criteria?
  • The widowered man is a main protagonist, antagonist, or major supporting character
  • The death of the wife is a major part of the plot, possibly even the main driving force of the story or the character's motivation
  • For all intents and purposes, girlfriends and fiances count; essentially, if it's two adults with a committed romantic relationship

EDIT: To clarify a bit more something I failed to make clear, many of these examples might stretch or not really fall within the exact definition of "fridging," per se, but still involve a wife/fiance/girlfriend dying to advance the plot or serve as motivation for a character. Nor does this mean that the story is inherently terrible or anything; the first reply to this thread was a game that's one of the few that actually made me super emotional with how well its tragedies were done. It's just something that you kind of sit back and realize how many big names have done this, in usually a super formulaic fashion.

So, off the top of my head:

(and spoilers for any of these games by the way)

Lysandra (God of War)
Kratos's first wife, she and their daughter Calliope end up killed by her husband in an Ares-induced blood rage, and her ashes became his famous pale Ghost of Sparta appearance. She was only ever known as "Kratos's wife" until she was finally named in a comic.
Death importance: Her killing and the guilt over it is what drives Kratos's entire revenge streak in the original GoW trilogy

Faye (God of War, the other one)
Kratos's second wife once he moved to Midgard. The cause of death is never stated.
Death importance: The entire game is about Kratos and Atreus carrying her ashes.

Annabelle Watson DeWitt (BioShock Infinite)
Booker's wife in his timeline, whom we never see; we do get to shoot her parallel timeline version, the awful ghost mom boss, like a million times. She died in childbirth.
Death importance: Her death sent Booker spiraling into depression, which lead him into gambling and drinking, which lead him into a huge debt, which lead him into... well, the plot of BioShock Infinite.

Sara Trantoul and Elisabetha Cronqvist (Castlevania: Lament of Innocence)
Leon Belmont's fiance and Mathias Cronqvist's first wife. Sara was bitten by a vampire and forced to be killed by a sorrowful Leon, while Elisabetha died of illness while Mathias was away during the Crusades.
Death importance: Sara's soul was fused with Leon's whip to create the Vampire Killer, and Mathias was so sorrowful he concocted a plan to get revenge against God for taking his wife from him that he became Dracula. Thus the entire Castlevania canon is based on two dead wives!

Lisa Tepes (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)
Actually, three dead wives! Dracula's second wife and Alucard's mother. Burned at the stake as a witch for practicing medicine.
Death importance: Basically caused Dracula to give up on humanity forever and be a real dick!

Marie Belmont (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow)
wait four wives, although this is a separate continuity

Gabriel Belmont's wife who was supposedly killed by monsters while she was away, then it turns out in a plot twist that Gabriel killed her while possessed by an evil mask.
Death importance: Gabriel's whole goal involves finding a mask that would supposedly let him resurrect Marie. When the whole thing turns out to be a sham and a bunch of other stuff happens, he becomes Dracula! Neat!

Michelle Payne (Max Payne)
A woman who somehow did not burst out laughing at hearing her future husband's name (actually, she probably did). Then she and their baby got killed by junkies high on drugs, because she found out about a drug conspiracy.
Death importance: The whole thing causes Max to go from an everyday cop to an undercover narcotics detective to find out the truth behind the Valkyr drug, setting the events of the game in motion.

Mary Sunderland (Silent Hill 2)
Died three years before the events of the game after a long illness. Her husband, James, comes to Silent Hill after mysteriously receiving a letter from her.
Death importance: Well, other than the aforementioned posthumous letter, her death is uh. Kinda important, let's say.

Maria Santiago (Gears of War 2)
mariaaaaa
Death importance: Well Dom's pretty bummed about it

Katjaa (The Walking Dead: Season One)
Duck's mother and Kenny's wife. Commits suicide after Duck has to be put down for turning.
Death importance: It's a two for one with Duck, but it's the point where Kenny basically loses it!

Catherine Garner (Painkiller)
This one is a bit unique in that you're both dead, so it almost doesn't really count... but you'll see why I lump it in. Daniel and Catherine are killed in a car accident caused by a negligent Daniel, she goes to Heaven, he goes to Purgatory and then shoots a million demons so he can go to Heaven and be with her.
Death importance: Technically key to the plot, even though the husband is also dead!

Beatrice Alighieri (Dante's Inferno)
In the original poem, she's a symbol of beatific love who sends Virgil to guide Dante. In the game, she's killed and dragged to hell by Lucifer who turns her into a succubus.
Death importance: Basically starts the whole plot of the game. This is the third game I could think of where there's an element of the afterlife where the wife is in heaven or hell and the husband is trying to reunite with them? That's why I listed Painkiller!

Ioseth (Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor)
Wife of the ranger Talion. You pressed square to stealth kiss her. Then orcs killed her and your kid, and also Talion, but Talion got better because a magical elf ghost went inside him. Also the magical elf ghost's wife got killed too.
Death importance: Drives Talion to get revenge against Sauron by running around a map of mud for 20 hours cutting off orc heads so they could get replaced with new orcs called Snarlblast Pisslord or whatever

Catherine (Fallout 3)
A scientist who worked alongside and married a fellow scientist named James, while studying water purification. Together they ended up moving into Vault 101, where she gave birth to your player character, and then immediately died from complications while you were a very oddly aware newborn who just finished looking at the character creator.
Death importance: The need to honor his wife and complete their project drove James (your dad, Liam Neeson) to leave Vault 101 and sets off the entire plot of Fallout 3, which made a whole lot of sense

Your wife if you were the dude (Fallout 4)
A lawyer or something who you spent like 20 minutes making look really funny in the creation system and then you get rushed into a vault and she gets shot and your baby gets stolen.
Death importance: eh you're supposed to figure out where your kid went but then you pick up trash for 200 hours

Emily Spencer (Bionic Commando 2009)
ghuFTJo.png

Death importance:
ghuFTJo.png

No seriously what are you talking about: okay if you haven't already laughed or groaned at this, google bionic commando wife plot twist

Holy shit what: I KNOW RIGHT

ADDITIONAL GOOD EXAMPLES (submitted by replies, links to their post)

Hinawa (Mother 3)
While Hinawa would commonly be thought of as a dead mother, (given that Lucas is the main character) Mother 3's shifting perspectives means that her death is broken to you while you play as her husband, Flint. It's actually a rather heartbreaking scene.
Death importance: Her death also leads to the seeming death of her son Claus, which are the twin tragedies that mark the beginning of Tazmily Village and the Nowhere Islands' descent and the shattering of their innocence.

Nicole Brennan (Dead Space)
A doctor who worked aboard the USG Ishimura. Isaac, Nicole's boyfriend, is an engineer sent as part of a team to investigate a distress signal. Surprise! Alien zombies. Anyway, the "Nicole" whom Isaac sees throughout the story turns out to be a hallucination; the real one committed suicide some time ago to avoid infection by the necromorphs. DID U KNO GAMEZZZ: the first letter of every chapter spells out "Nicole is dead." You probably knew that!
Death importance: The game's major plot twist, and the main focus of the hallucinations that Isaac goes through in Dead Space 2.

Jenny Romano (The Darkness)
The girlfriend of betentacled protagonist Jackie, Jenny is kidnapped and murdered by mobsters while Jackie is left powerless to stop it. In the sequel, her soul is trapped in Hell, making this yet another "loved one's soul in the afterlife" story. Seriously, Virgil is going to sue y'all for ripping off Orpheus and Eurydice.
Death importance: A major focus of both The Darkness 1 and 2

Jessamine Kaldwin (Dishonored)
Empress of the... Empire, she's murdered in front of her bodyguard, Corvo Attano, by supernatural assassins. Corvo takes the blame, (y'know, he really is dishonored) escapes prison, and gets vengeance against the conspirators, while also rescuing Kaldwin's kidnapped daughter, Emily. Oh, and it's made extremely obvious that it was an open secret in the capital that Jessamine and Corvo had been an item for years and that Emily is their daughter.
Death importance: The entire plot is about the assassination and coup, and her heart was turned into a magical tech detective vision device for Corvo, so we have another "dead wife becomes your tool" example!

Jen (Prey 2006)
Tomasi's girlfriend, who gets sucked up into the big alien ball with everyone else. While Tommy's granddad meets his fate in a big alien food processor early on, Jen's gets separated from Tommy twice, eventually ended up with her arms and legs cut off to be glued to some kind of alien alligator dog with laser gun arms for a boss fight. It's called Girlfriend X and you have to shoot it to death to mercy kill her.
Death importance: Well it's a very memorable scene!

Paula (Shadows of the Damned)
Garcia Hotspur's girlfriend, she's continuously killed by the leader of the demons over and over throughout the game as you try to rescue her from the City of the Damned (Hell, essentially). It's essentially a big gruesome gag that feels like it's poking fun at this.
Death importance: She dies a lot, and then gets mad at Garcia for letting this happen.

Peggy Young (D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die)
AKA "Little Peggy," she was shot and killed in her bathroom. Her husband, police detective David, was shot in the head but survived, though he suffers from partial memory loss and also gained mysterious powers. Her last words were to "Look for D," causing David to use his new abilities to search for clues into the killing. Given that the series unceremoniously died after one episode, we probably won't ever know the real truth.
Death importance: Her shooting is David's primary motivation, and he has visions of her.

Valentine Morgan (Deadly Premonition)
Okay - so I could maybe sorta list something else here, but given that this one and that one are very closely intertwined, I'll just list this one instead. Supposedly killed by her husband, detective Brian Xander Morgan, when their son Francis York Morgan was a child, the truth is that she was one of the victims of Forrest Kaysen, having had red seeds put into her stomach which sprouted out of her. Xander was unable to shoot her to put her out of her misery, and she died a grotesque death when the sapling suddenly grew, draining her life and leaving her a desiccated corpse. Xander was unable to cope with the guilt, and warned Zach not to make the same mistake before shooting himself in the head.
Death importance: It later comes to pass that this event was the impetus for Zach regressing into his own mind and developing the York personality to cope, while repressing his actual memories of the truth of the event, and also lead to him becoming an FBI agent and criminal profiler (still believing his father killed his mother, and wanting to try and understand the motive).

Weird subverted versions of this where she turns out to be alive:

Thalassa Gramarye (Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney)
Trucy Wright's mother who is conspicuously absent through most of the game. You eventually untangle a web of intrigue involving the magician troupe she was a part of, including the hidden tragedy at the core of it all that set everything in Apollo Justice into motion: she was killed in a magic trick gone wrong, by either her own husband, Zak, or his best friend Valant (who also loved her). Then you get to the end of the game and it turns out that she actually survived and somehow ended up in Europe with amnesia and blind. She actually outlives Zak.

Megan Reed (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
An example I can't believe I forgot, though the fact that it was subverted is probably what caused it to slip my mind. Megan is a genetic scientist and Adam Jensen's ex girlfriend, having broken up several years before the start of the game but remaining on good terms as friends and coworkers at Sarif Industries (with plenty of hints that there's still romantic tension there). An attack on the eve of an important announcement about human augmentation leaves Adam as a cyborg and Megan seemingly brutally killed in the attack along with her fellow scientists. While investigating possible clues into the attack, the first act of the game ends with the somewhat obvious reveal that Megan and the other scientists are actually alive, having been kidnapped. The substituted remains found at the crime scene were deliberately burned beyond recognition and further investigation into them stymied by the mysterious powers that be. Still, her fake "death" is a major driving force for Adam in that first act, and he has visions of her and their relationship as he's augmented in emergency surgery.

So I know for a fact I'm probably missing dozens of examples. If you know any, list them. It's kind of amazing how many times this has been used, and how specific subtropes (your wife becomes your weapon, your wife goes to the afterlife and you have to reunite with her, your wife died in childbirth, your wife and your kid died at once, the husband killed the wife to put her out of her misery or while possessed) are just as widespread.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely super prevalent. I came in here to make sure you included Bionic Commando, so good job.

I don't think it's weird, though; it's just a reflection of game writers and directors being middle-aged men thinking about what a great tragedy would be like for them. It's related to why we're getting so many dad games these days.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad trope, especially when it's used as a revenge story, which God of War 2018 isn't, but for the previous games it pretty much is.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely super prevalent. I came in here to make sure you included Bionic Commando, so good job.

I don't think it's weird, though; it's just a reflection of game writers and directors being middle-aged men thinking about what a great tragedy would be like for them. It's related to why we're getting so many dad games these days.
I think part of why it happens is also kinda similar to how young protagonists tend to have dead parents or them killed at the beginning. It basically gets rid of the protagonist's attachments to stay at a particular place in the beginning of the story.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Aeana has the right of it. I'll also include that it's often the "easiest" way to give a male character "motivation" to perform the unbelievable acts of murder and cruelty most videogames have you perform.

OP
OP
Crushed

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's even worse when a woman is raped to motivate some man, ugh. But it's more on films.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Silent Hill 2 and Bionic Commando were the first two to pop into my mind hehe.

While not a major plotpoint; at the end of Final Fantasy VIII it is revealed that Raine, which Laguna proposed to, died as well.

Tales of Symphonia, the other Kratos; he fell in love with Lloyd's mom and well, that escalated as well. Eventhough he supported Mithos, he couldn't fully abandon his son and to a lesser extent mankind.

Dead Space: Isaac Clarke's sole reason to visit the Ishimura is to find his girlfriend who sends out a message warning them not to come. Eventually, after several talks and seeing the full video message she was dead all along. Well except for the creepy hallucination at the end.

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
As for the Walking Dead, essentially Lee has a dead wife too. Granted he killed her in a fit of rage because she cheated on him, but its the main reason why the game starts out as it does.
If I remember right, he kills the guy she cheated on him with. He never says anything about killing his wife.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Of course, Shadow of the Colossus fits the bill, and arguably Alan Wake? Though I don't remember if it's confirmed that she's dead or not. The Last of Us trades it for a daughter character though the wife is also part of that package I guess. Also...
To The Moon

Last edited:

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
If I remember right, he kills the guy she cheated on him with. He never says anything about killing his wife.
I stand corrected, always thought he murdered both.

Another one btw, correct this around; Cyan from Final Fantasy VI. After Kefka gleefully poisoned the water of the Kingdom he swore to protect, his wife and son die of the poisoned water. He actually says farewell on the ghosttrain.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The relationship between Wander and Mono is never actually stated.
True, true... in a larger sense though "fridging" is more about the use of women as motivating objects for male characters without giving the female character any development or real agency, and SotC is pretty much textbook in that sense. That said I adore the game.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I get where the trope comes from, as long as the story has proper representation of women otherwise, I rarely see an issue with it. Being widowed is a traumatizing experience... I'm not surprised at all that a lot of works explore that.

Mother 3: Technically a dead mom, but starts as a dead wife.
I only played like 10 minutes of mother 3 this worries me oh god

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Ghost Trick - Yomiel blames Jowd for his incident so he manipulates the contraption that was supposed to kill him but instead kills the wife which is also a major plot point.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
While I get where the trope comes from, as long as the story has proper representation of women otherwise, I rarely see an issue with it. Being widowed is a traumatizing experience... I'm not surprised at all that a lot of works explore that.

I think it's important to remember that tropes aren't really a bad thing, they're more of an observation of a pattern than a value judgment.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Harry Mason had a wife (and would be Cheryl's adoptive mom) that died before the first game. I don't even remember if she got a name tho lol

harryandwifereal.jpg

She didn't even really get much play til one line late in SH3

So I was Alessa after all
But I do have just a trace of one more memory left
I haven't forgotten my sweet and gentle mother

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Yeah it's way too prevalent for my taste. Usually used as a way to show that the gritty hardcore badass protagonist wasn't always so hard and cold. Once he had a woman who could FILL HIS DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIGHHHHT!

I'd like some more games to flip it and give us some widowed wives to play as. That would at least be a neat change of pace.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. Though his wife is just one a large pile of bodies that leads him to serving Quan Chi, including his son and his entire clan. But wife is undoubtedly near the top of the list, and is what makes him in MK 2011 irrationally kill Sub-Zero.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Killing off Anya between Gears 3 and 4 was pretty garbage and felt like it only happened to justify Marcus being a recluse when you first team back up with him. They basically do nothing else with the fact that she's dead.

OP
OP
Crushed

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I just remembered a rather original twist on this in Apollo Justice.

The death of the wife (Thalassa Gramarye) is the event that sparks the events that lead to Phoenix losing his badge, becoming Trucy's guardian, and... everything else. She's shot for real by accident during a magic trick gone wrong, with neither Valant or Zak (her husband) knowing for sure who fired the fatal shot, and their mentor (her father) blackmails both of them over it, which leads to the trial when her father is found dead from a gunshot.

The twist is that as you figure this out, and how it connects to the major trials you've faced throughout the game, you find out that she... isn't actually dead. She ends up outliving her husband, in fact.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Aeana has the right of it. I'll also include that it's often the "easiest" way to give a male character "motivation" to perform the unbelievable acts of murder and cruelty most videogames have you perform.
Yeah. Not just motivation, but acts as a weird 'morality sanction' too- they killed his lover, now everyone between him and the killer must all die and that's fine, after that balance will surely follow, what's important is that he takes from these guys what they took from him. The main relationship is one of who owes who between guys, not the lost partner. Also acts as an off-screen humanising element- 'before the game started, he was a wonderful husband and father, he loved, maintained a healthy relationship and was loved'. For the entire time you're playing him he's a crazed killer as that's what the player wants, and videogames are allergic to healthy relationships, so they round him out off-screen so he seems more 'heroic'.

Essentially when these characters are the lead they are The Punisher, but often without a developed network of other, more stable leading characters treating them as a pariah because of the rampage or trying to empathise and help them grieve and move on (in an ongoing fantasy soap opera where there's scope for it to happen) as that isn't what revenge fantasies tied to a single action film/game etc are about. Because of games/comics etc loving sci-fi and power fantasies, it's also often without any overarching authority, force or organisation that might have either a mandate or even the ability to stop them either. The whole 'saintly woman dies in a shitty world, as one man takes her away from another, other man puts blinkers on as justice and revenge blur, the whole world stops and hundreds of men die until the guy that did it is also dead. Man then can rest' is a whole pile of problems in a can marked 'generic revenge plot by middle-aged male writer'.

It's also a lot safer to sell a game about a targeted revenge power fantasy to boys and young men than deal with actual relationships and a game character under their control having a partner that they a) respect and b) might fundamentally disagree with their reckless actions. That's why she gets stuck in the fridge, to free the character to do gamey things and blow things up, as if you're going to depict a relationship, that person is probably just as hesitant about you having a fifty-a-day murder habit and potentially getting yourself killed as you are about your supervillain nemesis knowing who your loved ones are. That's one of the things I really liked about the Uncharted games, that Elena comes across as supportive, critical, reasonable and still understanding of Nate's nature all at the same time, getting pissed off when he lies and not conveniently dying to make room for adventure, she joins in as long as the stakes are low or theres no other choice. For all that I've mocked the endless killing sprees in the stories I really like the depiction of that relationship.

Last edited:

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
... But she's alive?

That's why I said probably. She's alive but literally confined to a cave and like a fragment of her former self IIRC.

Idk, perhaps I have a different concept of fridging—to me I always saw it more as harming and removing that characters agency than always explicitly having them killed.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Deus Ex: HR starts out with it, although it's mildly cancelled out with "she was alive all along also she sorta helps the bad guys at the end"

Evil Within -
Sebastian's wife get's fridged, then defridged, then fridged again. He also thought his daughter was dead, hence Punished Sebastian in EW2.

Lisa - The entire conceit is there are no more females on Earth and it's heavily implied that they were killed since they were around when the main characters were younger. As a result, society basically collapses. I use "female" and not women because I'm unsure if some of the characters you meet later in the game were trans.

Every DMC game - All These Moms Are Dead And People Are Mad About It: The Series

Bayonetta 2 - Dead mom time travel made my dad super mad.

The Darkness games - Extremely mad about my dead girlfriend.

Dishonored - None Too Happy About Letting My Queen Girlfriend Get Murdered.

Peace Walker - Gonna build my own army and help sandinistas cause the government made me kill my surrogate mom.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
There was an entire thing in I think episode 2 of Feminist Frequency about this: https://youtu.be/toa_vH6xGqs

It's pretty thorough with examples.

Personally, as I thought on this, my main thought on the topic was "I need games to do better ideas for motivation than just death." I have many motivations as a man and while family is a large one for men, it's not the only one in life.

I think on characters and stories I've connected with and I thought LA Noire was good as it was a man trying to assimilate to life post-WWII and a story arc about the difficulties many found in doing so. He was single though.

The other thought I had was on women in games and while I appreciate the triump on a story of fatherhood and grief, I look forward to the day we see the same treatment for women in games done this way.

Nov 8, 2017

Yeah it's super common in action (especially revenge) films, and action video games typically derive their story inspirations from there. It's a shortcut these films and games take when they want instant character motivation, stakes or emotions from the audience. In drama, it's "suddenly cancer", in action it's "suddenly significant otherand/or children have been kidnapped and/or killed". I hesitate to call it lazy but it is definitely a tired cliche.

The fact that it's always wives/girlfriends is because the vast majority of protagonists are male combined with the lack of lgbt protagonists, combined with the industry hesitance to give female protagonists (when they do appear) a significant other, as if they're afraid people won't play their games if the woman they're playing as isn't single.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. Dead loved ones are just a super efficient (and you could say lazy, because most writers don't even bother coming up with any kind of alternative) way to start a story, since they typically give your lead both a motive and a flaw at the same time (track down who killed your wife + overcome the insecurity of being unable to protect your dead wife).

Because it's one of the more common media-wide tropes though, you'll consequently see it done poorly a lot too.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
I think Asura's Wrath, Kane and Lynch with Kane's wife being dead, and Sam Fisher had wives that were dead and of course all of the protagonists had daughters. I remember Anita Sarkeesian making a video about this exact thing. The prevalence of the trope is due to the amount of middle-age men involved in writing, especially in video games, like what someone pointed out. It would also explain the prevalence of the Dad saving the day like in Taken. Oddly, though stories that have a father character rarely has a son or a son like figure as a character it is almost always a daughter. God of War 2018 was departure from that common trope. I wonder how much it will be different it middle-age men didn't have that much influence in writing this stories. If middle-age women were more influence in writing stories in games would we have moms as the heroes trying to save their children/family or get revenge for the death of their husband?

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Not quite the same thing, but in Watch_Dogs the protagonist goes on his mission because the bad guys killed his niece, the only family member he seems to care much about.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Well this thread is depressing and definitely highlights a pretty big problem in game story telling. There are always exceptions but I think this industry has a long ways to go in terms of story telling period. It doesn't help that games almost always solve problems through violence.