• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
: Resident Evil is headed to television. I have learned that Netflix is developing a scripted series based on the hit action horror franchise. I hear the series will be a Netflix global original. German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio. Search is underway for a showrunner to shepherd the adaptation.

No one is commenting but I hear the plan is for the series to expand the Resident Evil universe and deepen the exiting mythology. I hear the series will keep the basic premise, which also served as a setup for the movie franchise. The drama series will explore the dark inner workings of the Umbrella Corporation and the new world order caused by the outbreak of the T-virus. While the project is in early stages, the series is expected to incorporate all ofResident Evil's signature elements, including action sequences and "easter eggs."

There's more at the link. Such as the current work being done on a feature film as well. Currently, i'm rather confused on what Constantie's plans are for the series. Are they going to make a Resident Evil Universe sort of thing where the TV show and new reboot movie are connected? Will they keep the show a separate timeline or even use the timeline of the original films? Seems like they're just throwing everything at the walls and seeing what will stick.

Regardless, an RE series is something I wouldn't mind seeing at all. There's definitely potential there and Netflix would be a good home for it. Even if it is live - action. Might as well have Devil May Cry the anime and Resident Evil the show all in the same place to make it easier for new consumers to learn about them after all.

Source: https://deadline.com/2019/01/resident-evil-tv-series-in-works-netflix-1202541277/

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
as long as the director of the films stays away in every capacity possible - NO producing or whatever, then i am game.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Seems like something that should have been made years ago. I guess if it's actually good it can stand on its own, but in a world where The Walking Dead is starting to hemorrhage viewers, and games like Day's Gone garner a lot of criticism for focusing on Zombies, the whole zombie zeitgeist is on the wane (or depending on whom your talking to is already over).

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Anyway, the article is very vague, but I got the feeling it's set in the RE universe. And there a lot of room to explore there with Umbrella and its downfall. What happens between the games is uncharted territory in many ways.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I hope paul ws anderson gets to direct this as well so Milla can get magic powers this time around. Got to keep the wife employed even if it results in a blasphemy to the fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Should start out before the mansion incident, start it like a police procedural
(basically STARS waking up, going to work , arriving at the RPD news reports and staff briefings about disappearances and such.
Also interactions between STARS and RPD like Kevin, Marven, etc who progress and get more screentime in S2, etc) but the first or second episode ends with Bravo teams' briefing and helicopter crash.
Zombies attacking a hicker is basically a prologue and then we don't see them till the episode following the crash.

S1 is RE0(condensed maybe) and RE1 until a bit after they return to raccoon city.
S2 follows Jill and STARS a few days week before RE2 and RE3 for an episode or two setting up a bit more background stuff before going into them.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
51401940ADEA789812532787B30656271E27ADC8

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Please take insperation from the RE2 remake. Horror. Mystery. Each zombie is a threat. Small cast

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is great.

I think the movies have been too successful while being so off-base from the original concept that it's kind of hopeless to expect them to ever get it right. TV it is!

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil is headed to television. I have learned that Netflix is developing a scripted series based on the hit action horror franchise. I hear the series will be a Netflix global original. German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio. Search is underway for a showrunner to shepherd the adaptation.

758.jpg

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they'll actually adapt the games this time. There's room to make something good here.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
God damn it I just want solid adaptions of the games :( Why is it so hard to do, we don't want things to expanded or rearanged, just pay tribute tastefully ffs

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Just do an adaptation of RE1, for fucks sake.

Chris, Jill, Barry, Wesker. That's all you need.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Seeing the company that was behind the movies doesn't really inspire any confidence in this project from me. The first RE movie was alright, and then each one thereafter seemed to get worse and worse. I say this as someone who typically tends to enjoy terrible sci-fi / horror movies.

I'll still hold out some hope that whomever is in charge gives a damn about the property enough to make something good. Would probably be a bit more hyped if hearing Shankar was involved in some capacity, though waiting to see if he can help make AC and DMC shows with the quality they brought with Castlevania.