• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are the last two Spider Man movies not on any streaming platforms like Prime, Netflix, Hulu,..? They seem to be the odd ones out.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
There probably isn't an end game. When Tom Holland finally steps down from the role in ten or fifteen years, that'll be it for Spiderman in the MCU. They're not going to just recast Spiderman and keep him around when they've been pretty clear that a major foundation for the MCU as a whole is that, when a character leaves, they're gone.

They had Donald Glover mention his nephew in Homecoming for a reason. We're gonna get a live action version of Spider-Verse at some point in the next 10-15 years (without the multiverse stuff, but with that same Peter and Miles Mentor/Student angle). And it will be reminiscent of the Tony/Peter relationship and it's gonna be amazing.

Surely no one will abuse these Police surveillance stations that I can hack into, I can trust all the cops.

Spider-Cop fucking sucks and it's the worst thing about that game. Even worse than the stealth missions.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Integrating Spiderman into the MCU at large did wonders for the character / box office receipts. Marvel built a framework that, if a particular hero wasn't included in it, they didn't feel real... didn't feel consequential. It was just as much in Marvel's interests to keep Spider-man relevant. I'm curious what the end game of the Marvel/Sony deal looks like though. A post-Tom Holland Spiderman will most likely have to be renegotiated. Unless the original deal set the rights for Spidey movies to revert back to Marvel at some point. But I think Sony was given a sweetheart deal this time around and Marvel/Disney will hold almost all the chips in the future. Disney might be be inclined to just spend billions of dollars to buy Spidey outright next time, too. Or maybe Sony's film division as a whole if it gets approval. Who knows.
Considering venom made like 800 million dollars no way Sony will sell spiderman.

Oct 26, 2017
Feige and Co. to Sony.
rTdnMFQ.png
LMAO

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I really like spiderverse fans joining Raimi fans in the "won't shut the fuck up about how much better their movies are better than cookie cutter MCU movies" in every MCU spider-man thread

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It was one of the worse Spider-Man movies apart from Garfield's second Spider-Man movie. Joke of a villian, worse than mandarin in iron man.m. Really surprised it's raking in money

Oct 26, 2017
The "WhatAboutSpider-Verse" posts are getting really sad to see.
I love Spider-Verse, but yall need to stop knocking the rightfully earned success of MCU Spidey.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Tom Holland and Toby McGuire. I also controversially unironically love Emo Peter.

Garfield was good but didn't have the material.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like this movie as much as Homecoming, but Spider-Man was in it so it was still awesome

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of embarrassing for Sony that someone else had to show them how it's done. Then again it's only the most successful movie universe ever so maybe that's not quite fair

Sony's awful Venom movie made close to a billion dollars and Into the Spider-Verse won many awards, including an Oscar for Best Animated Feature. Sony's alright.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I really like spiderverse fans joining Raimi fans in the "won't shut the fuck up about how much better their movies are better than cookie cutter MCU movies" in every MCU spider-man thread
It's always so unwarranted lol like they feel some slight that a fuckton of people like the Marvel backed one. They trigger almost as easy as any mention of future SW movies post TLJ. It's inevitable.

But this type of stuff fuels me. So let it ride. I liked FFM and Spiderverse. Tobey was trash though. I'll argue that on my death bed.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been an amazing past year for Spider-Man.

The game was amazing, Venom was decent, Spider-Verse was amazing, Far From Home was amazing and Hasbro has been making some amazing Spider-Man Marvel Legends figures along with the definitive MAFEX comic Spidey recently too.

Amazing box office sales plus Spider-Verse winning at the Oscars.

Amazing times for Spidey right now.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's been an amazing past year for Spider-Man.

The game was amazing, Venom was decent, Spider-Verse was amazing, Far From Home was amazing and Hasbro has been making some amazing Spider-Man Marvel Legends figures along with the definitive MAFEX comic Spidey recently too.

Amazing box office sales plus Spider-Verse winning at the Oscars.

Amazing times for Spidey right now.
Talking about yourself in the third person is a bit weird dude.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's awful Venom movie made close to a billion dollars and Into the Spider-Verse won many awards, including an Oscar for Best Animated Feature. Sony's alright.
Yep but Sony hasn't gotten a win this year unless you count Escape Room.

Sony isn't hurting but is basically running on pure luck.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
It is very difficult to keep the audience interested in a solo superhero movie after three or four installments. Spider-Man's fortune changed for the better once he entered the MCU and mingled with the ensemble cast.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is very difficult to keep the audience interested in a solo superhero movie after three or four installments. Spider-Man's fortune changed for the better once he entered the MCU and mingled with the ensemble cast.

The MCU is also really great in that aspect, in that even if you don't really care for a hero's solo outing (Dr. Strange), they can appear in other movies and impress you there. Though it's the inverse for Spidey I guess, him appearing in Infinity War and Endgame just makes people super hungry to see him in FFH.

Right? I mean, opinions being opinions and all that, but I'm kind of baffled at how you can look at that sequence, if nothing else, and declare Mysterio a worse villain than Guy Pearce with dragon tattoos on his pecs...

Agreed. MCU Spider-Man is 2/2 so far regarding his villains.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Something will always be the highest grossing film ever In terms of dollar amount.

I dislike these headlines because it almost always ignores inflation.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Congrats to them, biggest Spider-Man movie ever. Not only did it review incredibly well but it made bank too. I saw the movie a few times and it passed Homecoming as the best Spider-Man movie for me.

It still amazes me that they've made 2 fantastic Spidey movies and we haven't had a hint of Norman, the Symbiote or the other big names we usually see or hear about. Just imagine how big the movies can be when we're getting heavy hitters coming after Spidey.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The MCU is also really great in that aspect, in that even if you don't really care for a hero's solo outing (Dr. Strange), they can appear in other movies and impress you there.
Yeah this is me 100%. It's weird because I LOVE Mikkelsen and the visual effects for Dr. Strange were great but I still thought the movie was mediocre. Thought he was fantastic in Infinity War and Endgame though and now I'm really excited Multiverse of Madness.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I was going to comment on this too, it seems really odd for it to be mentioned at every turn of the corner. Spider-Verse is a damn good movie, so I'm not dissing it that way.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is me 100%. It's weird because I LOVE Mikkelsen and the visual effects for Dr. Strange were great but I still thought the movie was mediocre. Thought he was fantastic in Infinity War and Endgame though and now I'm really excited Multiverse of Madness.

I'll never get over them wasting Mikkelsen like that :P

But yea, everything about it sounds exciting too, from the title, to Scarlet Witch being present (hot off the heels of her Disney+ show), to it being labeled as a horror movie. And you brought up IW and Endgame, but shit, I liked him more in Ragnarok too lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

But yea, everything about it sounds exciting too, from the title, to Scarlet Witch being present (hot off the heels of her Disney+ show), to it being labeled as a horror movie. And you brought up IW and Endgame, but shit, I liked him more in Ragnarok too lol
I hope it goes full lovecraftian horror tilt instead of an MCU movie with a jumpscare or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm still surprised it's domestic gross is as "low" as it is though. It's kind of crazy with how massive the MCU is that Spider-Man's still no where near as big as it was domestically in the Raimi days.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because there are too many factors to consider when it comes to box office; inflation, exchange rates, tickets sold, premium screens, etc.

It's a completely fruitless endeavor in these discussions, as you can pick any number of factors to account for to skew the discussion in favor of whichever movie you want to be on top.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018

I'm convinced that Kevin Feige made a monkey's paw wish at the very start of the MCU that as many times as they would score gold with amazing casting choices, they would have to offer a sacrifice of great actors in wasted roles.