• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy Endgame passed Avatar. Avatar was 100% forgettable and not a good film in anyway

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
All of the people claiming it wouldn't pass it post-rerelease were spectacularly wrong. They said it with such confidence that those who don't follow box office trends could easily believe that their confidence was based on something real, but it never was.

Watching the argument go from the rerelease won't help, to the rerelease will be pulled out after one weekend, to the rerelease is going to lose a ton of screens, to the current round of it was fudged, has been amazing to watch. So many opportunities to take stock and say, "Hey, this didn't work out the way I predicted. Maybe I should re-examine things." But no, on to the next outlandish situation which will keep Endgame from the record.

It's a shame that the fudge nonsense gained traction. People could instead learn a lot about how the box office works right now- late re-expansions, double features, Disney's consistently low Sunday estimates going up with Monday actuals, international numbers coming in spurts late in a film's run, Marvel's trend of huge weekends and then a big drop and then a very long tail, etc.

Avatar vs. Endgame also illustrates how the box office has changed dramatically in the last ten years. Digital projection allowing for demand to be met more rapidly and films to open on more screens, meaning bigger openings but shorter legs, expansion in the international market but with far worse exchange rates, the lower share of 3D screenings but the rise of more premium formats, and the differing appeal of franchises worldwide. Each side wanting to talk about just the one that made their film more impressive instead of acknowledging that all of these factors are why the two films are essentially tied blurs the conversation.
Thanks for this.

If I didn't have an understanding of the box office already, I'd be confused as hell by how some of the most prominent voices here have framed this run over the last 3 months.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
How long can I expect Endgame to be in the theaters? I still need to watch 8 MCU movies, any chance I can find it in the end of August?

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, it's only playing in like 1 theater nearby, and with a 9PM start time, and no showings confirmed past Thursday! Sad I wanted to go one more time.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
has this been posted yet?

EAEyaktWwAAJBHP.jpg:large

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this.

If I didn't have an understanding of the box office already, I'd be confused as hell by how some of the most prominent voices here have framed this run over the last 3 months.

The effectiveness of the re-release was severely underestimated. It was believed that the extras would not be enough to get people back into theaters, which I don't disagree with since they were underwhelming, but people didn't understand that the main attraction was the movie itself. It had an A+ Cinemascore and excellent word of mouth. As it turned out there was still some gas left in Endgame's tank so as soon as the release schedule cleared up people went back to the theaters for it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The effectiveness of the re-release was severely underestimated. It was believed that the extras would not be enough to get people back into theaters, which I don't disagree with since they were underwhelming, but people didn't understand that the main attraction was the movie itself. It had an A+ Cinemascore and excellent word of mouth. As it turned out there was still some gas left in Endgame's tank so as soon as the release schedule cleared up people went back to the theaters for it.

Exactly. Endgame's "re-release" wasn't even technically a re-release (as Avatar's was, as it had totally left theaters), it was just an expansion. Endgame had only just dipped below 1,000 theaters in its ninth week of release; the expansion just doubled that (for roughly 3x the gross). The main thing was getting Endgame back into more theaters, not so much drawing a massive new crowd for the bonus content.

Late-stage expansions for big summer movies aren't as uncommon as people in this thread seem to think they are — the original Avengers, for example, expanded from 123 back up to 1,705 theaters over Labor Day weekend, increasing its weekly gross fifteenfold. People are acting like Disney somehow "cheated" by doing some bizarre unheard-of stunt, and that's not the case at all.

Chances are pretty good that Endgame would have had some sort of late-stage expansion even if beating the record wasn't a factor. A lot of movies this summer were underperforming, which means they didn't need as many screens. Disney saw an opportunity and went for it.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
So I guess it finally went like this then...

• Shock and Disbelief. ... 1.3 Billion Opening Weekend.
  • Denial. ... 54% 2nd Week Drop. Blew It's Load On The 1st Week Cos Fans Wanted To Avoid Spoilers.
  • Guilt. ... China Cuts It's Contractual Screening. International Numbers Lagging Behind.
  • Anger and Bargaining. ... No Legs. Worse Day To Day Run Than Infinity War.
  • Depression, Loneliness, Reflection. ... Re-release Won't Get It Past Avatar.
  • Reconstruction and Working Through. ... Figures Were Fudged To Get It Over The Line.
  • Acceptance. Congratulations, No.1, But Gone With The Wind Is Still King Due To Inflation.
Am I doing this right?

It's been a blast watching this go down. Some of the shit throwing between fans of franchises that they don't own and belong to 1 company has been hilarious to read through. Thank you all who contributed it making these threads what it is.

tenor.gif

Wrong Gif, should be using this.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a blast watching this go down. Some of the shit throwing between fans of franchises that they don't own and belong to 1 company has been hilarious to read through. Thank you all who contributed it making these threads what it is.

It was indeed a fun ride. I do think it's worth pointing out though that the franchise part isn't really relevant to movie fans. We go to the movies and when we see a film that we like we want it to do well at the box office. From the fan perspective it's entertainment, not business.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
It was indeed a fun ride. I do think it's worth pointing out though that the franchise part isn't really relevant to movie fans. We go to the movies and when we see a film that we like we want it to do well at the box office. From the fan perspective it's entertainment, not business.
Yeah, it's like rooting for a football team. In the end, none of the money make it into your pocket but you're still happy seeing the team you love win the cup.