• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Imagine thinking "I am inevitable" is an original or iconic line.

They could have said anything in that movie and the Marvel fan base would meme it to hell and back.

It's an impotent incarnation of Agent Smith's recurring line of inevitability from The Matrix.

Imagine thinking "I am your Father" is an original or iconic line

They could have said anything in that movie and the Star Wars fan base would meme it to hell and back.

It's an impotent incarnation of the recurring line of fatherhood in every single one of my mom's telenovelas

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking "I am inevitable" is an original or iconic line.

They could have said anything in that movie and the Marvel fan base would meme it to hell and back.

It's an impotent incarnation of Agent Smith's recurring line of inevitability from The Matrix.

I thought the avatar crew would be less salty.

I was wrong, lmao.

Crazy to think 2 weeks ago you were all posting gifs of avatar celebrating the weak endgame re-release numbers... and yet here we are.

Craziest ride.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I love you 3000" is a p. cool line with nice context from the movie. That one will stick.

"You couldn't live with your own failure. so where did that bring you? back to me"
Thanos is a dingus. Their plan didn't lead them back to him, they were ignoring his purple ass entirely, and in fact had just undone Thanos's lifelong mission right before he said that. He was the one chasing after them. That line would've made more sense coming from the original post Infinity War Thanos instead of the time traveling one.

Dude was sorely missing a Brain Stone

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos is a dingus. Their plan didn't lead them back to him, they were going to ignore his purple ass entirely. He was the one chasing after them. That line would've made more sense coming from the original post Infinity War Thanos.

Nah it's fine. They went back in time to fix their mistake, inadvertently creating a scenario where they gotta do this whole song and dance all over again in facing Thanos. He's basically just pointing out the irony of it all.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
"I love you 3000" is a p. cool line with nice context from the movie. That one will stick.

Thanos is a dingus. Their plan didn't lead them back to him, they were ignoring his purple ass entirely, and in fact had just undone Thanos's lifelong mission right before he said that. He was the one chasing after them. That line would've made more sense coming from the original post Infinity War Thanos instead of the time traveling one.

I think he meant it in the way that their efforts to undo his work inevitably ended up bringing them back to him. At that point in the movie Thanos felt like he would win "I am inevitable" so he said that line to signify some sort of poetic justice that existed in the universe. That they went through all this trouble of time traveling and avoiding him (like how they dismiss killing "baby Thanos") only to be brought back to him.

At least that's my takeaway from it. It's cool that we can read into dialogue and character motivations just from a few lines.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I should really rewatch Avatar at some point, just so I'm not being unfair when I think about it only in terms of technology.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I thought the avatar crew would be less salty.

I was wrong, lmao.

Crazy to think 2 weeks ago you were all posting gifs of avatar celebrating the weak endgame re-release numbers... and yet here we are.

Craziest ride.
thatsnoneofmy.jpg

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I remember the I see you line from Avatar but that's about it, and that was the name of the main song on the soundtrack.

I love you 3000 and I am inevitable seem to have stuck in people's minds from Endgame so far, and Perfectly Balanced as all things should be from Infinity War.

Also while Thanos will obviously go down as one of the more memorable movie villains I thought the General guy in Avatar was really effective and the best part of the film, shame he had a generic look and unspellable name so never gets mentioned.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I seriously don't remember I love you 3000 line at all. Who says that?

Anyway it seems like I've lost an avatar bet. When it's official, please pick something amazing for me, like this:

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Avatar would have made more if Jim had ditched Sam

Why he decided to cape for him is beyond me. One of life's biggest mysteries.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Official Staff Communication
Drop the hostilities and metacommentary. Lets keep this thread on topic.

Holy shit at this warning... why is this such a touchy topic?? You're arguing over which multi multi millionaires " won". Come on guys... how can anyone take this of all things personally to such an extent that a warning like that is required. Avatar will take it back eventually, Avatar 1 will probably see a theater re release multiple times before Cameron's through

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does anybody expect Avatar to suddenly pull in millions prior to Avatar 2? I'm Endgame will remain in theaters and the different will be several million dollars by the time its all said and done.

3D isn't a big deal anymore
And are people really going to go celebrate its 10 year anniversary?

I wouldn't say its a done deal.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we'll get a nice 4K UHD bundle, not sure about a theatrical re-release. Would be cool to see it in Dolby Cinema I suppose.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
First, we got Endgame to beat Avatar

Now, we must make sure Avatar 2 doesn't make a billion

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

He had the inifnity guantlet. Reality was whatever he wanted it to be.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Why does anybody expect Avatar to suddenly pull in millions prior to Avatar 2? I'm Endgame will remain in theaters and the different will be several million dollars by the time its all said and done.

3D isn't a big deal anymore
And are people really going to go celebrate its 10 year anniversary?

I wouldn't say its a done deal.
The Titanic and Phantom Menace rereleases made decent amounts (though that was at the height of 3D madness), it's been a while since Avatar so it's easy to imagine it earning at least $10m. The gap will be small enough that any release should do it.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what changed to make it go over the line? I thought after the re release we kinda knew it wouldn't make it based on numbers? Did they fudge it or did endgame overperform somewhere?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The Titanic and Phantom Menace rereleases made decent amounts (though that was at the height of 3D madness), it's been a while since Avatar so it's easy to imagine it earning at least $10m. The gap will be small enough that any release should do it.
I think my showing of Phantom Menace 3D was busier than when I went to Solo opening night

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

10 million? In a limited release? I would be surprised if it made half of that.

But who knows....

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
A magnificent achievement, the perfect cherry on top for the MCU. Well deserved.

So what changed to make it go over the line? I thought after the re release we kinda knew it wouldn't make it based on numbers? Did they fudge it or did endgame overperform somewhere?

People underestimated how effective the re-release would be. It performed well in many markets and had consistently good drops throughout the month. The success of Far From Home also probably gave it a decent boost.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Feel like Perfectly Balanced as all things should be is probably the one line everyone will remember. Me and plenty of others were snapped because of it lol.

I prefer Thor's " All words are made up" line though.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, this whole Avatar vs. Avengers spiel is getting so super tired. Why is it so important for Avatar fans to cling to that top spot?
Endgame took it, Endgame was a big deal. You don't like it, that's okay, I didn't like Avatar either, but I haven't spent all those years complaining for how much its earned or how worthy it is.

I'm just left wondering if it'll get more heated around the #1 spot, or if that one's gonna stay as is for as long as Avatar did.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
It will never cease to amaze me just how utterly Solo bombed.
Literally no one asked for it. I get Kasdan had them by the balls, but damn. The movie was a prime candidate for a Disney + release, but they got greedy and were rightly smacked.

Also, the slot window they picked made no sense. Movie had no chance

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Literally no one asked for it. I get Kasdan had them by the balls, but damn. The movie was a prime candidate for a Disney + release, but they got greedy and were rightly smacked.

Also, the slot window they picked made no sense. Movie had no chance
I wanted it

And two more sequels too

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm a massive Star Wars fan and had absolutely zero interest in Solo. I ended up getting a free ticket though and actually thought ti was okay, kind of disappointed we won't see how the villain reveal at the end plays out.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously don't remember I love you 3000 line at all. Who says that?

Anyway it seems like I've lost an avatar bet. When it's official, please pick something amazing for me, like this:
Ironman's daughter says it to him before he decides to do the time travel shenanigans. I kinda like that they added it in because apparently one of RDJ's children tells him that in real life.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a massive Star Wars fan and had absolutely zero interest in Solo. I ended up getting a free ticket though and actually thought ti was okay, kind of disappointed we won't see how the villain reveal at the end plays out.
It should have played out like the sword fight in Raiders of the Lost Ark

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
yeah endgame's BO should be divided by 2 tbh just like inflation should be counted

All of the people claiming it wouldn't pass it post-rerelease were spectacularly wrong. They said it with such confidence that those who don't follow box office trends could easily believe that their confidence was based on something real, but it never was.

Watching the argument go from the rerelease won't help, to the rerelease will be pulled out after one weekend, to the rerelease is going to lose a ton of screens, to the current round of it was fudged, has been amazing to watch. So many opportunities to take stock and say, "Hey, this didn't work out the way I predicted. Maybe I should re-examine things." But no, on to the next outlandish situation which will keep Endgame from the record.

It's a shame that the fudge nonsense gained traction. People could instead learn a lot about how the box office works right now- late re-expansions, double features, Disney's consistently low Sunday estimates going up with Monday actuals, international numbers coming in spurts late in a film's run, Marvel's trend of huge weekends and then a big drop and then a very long tail, etc.

Avatar vs. Endgame also illustrates how the box office has changed dramatically in the last ten years. Digital projection allowing for demand to be met more rapidly and films to open on more screens, meaning bigger openings but shorter legs, expansion in the international market but with far worse exchange rates, the lower share of 3D screenings but the rise of more premium formats, and the differing appeal of franchises worldwide. Each side wanting to talk about just the one that made their film more impressive instead of acknowledging that all of these factors are why the two films are essentially tied blurs the conversation.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring staff post
All of the people claiming it wouldn't pass it post-rerelease were spectacularly wrong. They said it with such confidence that those who don't follow box office trends could easily believe that their confidence was based on something real, but it never was.

Watching the argument go from the rerelease won't help, to the rerelease will be pulled out after one weekend, to the rerelease is going to lose a ton of screens, to the current round of it was fudged, has been amazing to watch. So many opportunities to take stock and say, "Hey, this didn't work out the way I predicted. Maybe I should re-examine things." But no, on to the next outlandish situation which will keep Endgame from the record.

It's a shame that the fudge nonsense gained traction. People could instead learn a lot about how the box office works right now- late re-expansions, double features, Disney's consistently low Sunday estimates going up with Monday actuals, international numbers coming in spurts late in a film's run, Marvel's trend of huge weekends and then a big drop and then a very long tail, etc.

Avatar vs. Endgame also illustrates how the box office has changed dramatically in the last ten years. Digital projection allowing for demand to be met more rapidly and films to open on more screens, meaning bigger openings but shorter legs, expansion in the international market but with far worse exchange rates, the lower share of 3D screenings but the rise of more premium formats, and the differing appeal of franchises worldwide. Each side wanting to talk about just the one that made their film more impressive instead of acknowledging that all of these factors are why the two films are essentially tied blurs the conversation.

tenor.gif

And while I have no problem with someone claiming a film is fudged because it's just speculation without concrete evident, I found it distasteful when you put your (evident-less) speculation on the tittle and in the first post of the weekly box office thread for all people to see.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Unless it makes the same insane leaps in technological advancements... I really don't know.

It might. James Cameron is sure to push the technological envelope even further so today's expanded worldwide market should give it a good chance of challenging the record if the movie resonates with theater audiences on a similar level that Avatar 1 did.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Avatar 2 has a good chance at reclaiming the record I think.

Personally I don't think it will. Avatar was a big event in terms of cinema & technology. It also benefitted from a time where other options in terms of content were more limited than they are now.

People have seen Avatar and it's then pioneering 3D but I've seen nothing to suggest that Avatar 2 will have that gimmick/hook that the original had. I know a lot of people who went to see the original at the cinema purely because of the hype around the 3D. That technology's commonplace now - though very rarely used as effectively even after 10 years! - so I don't think that a lot of those people will be particularly bothered about catching the film at the cinema, especially when the films are often released for the home market within around 3 months these days. I think it'll do great but I struggle to see it beating the 1st film in terms of overall BO.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar 2 has a good chance at reclaiming the record I think.

Depends on how much China likes it. I seriously doubt it even gets 2 billion, tbh.

It's funny how much Cameron wants avatar to be his magnum opus with this 5 movies bullshit, i'd be so down for more stories as emotionally charged as titanic rather than blue uncanny aliens.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how much China likes it. I seriously doubt it even gets 2 billion, tbh.

It's funny how much Cameron wants avatar to be his magnum opus with this 5 movies bullshit, i'd be so down for more stories as emotionally charged as titanic rather than blue uncanny aliens.

I personally wish he were the writer director on any Terminator movie.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Avatar has basically killed my enthusiasm for Cameron as a director because that is apparently all he intends to do for the remainder of his life.