• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
In the wake of the sexual harassment allegations flooding Hollywood as of late, Ben Affleck has evaluated his own behavior and is looking to be an ally when it comes to the issue.

During an interview with the Associated Press for the upcoming Warner Bros. comic book blockbuster Justice League, Affleck said that he has been "looking at my own behavior and addressing that and making sure I'm part of the solution."

In addition, Affleck pointed out that sexual harassment needed to be "a men's issue" where men need to call out and report inappropriate behavior towards women. He also said that "more women need to be pushed to power."
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/11/ben-aff...t-harvey-weinstein-justice-league-1202202483/

Even though I don't think Ben Affleck should be the poster boy for fighting sexual harassment and the protagonism should always go to the women, men and all the victims of sexual harassment in Hollywood, even though I'm not forgiving Affleck for his shady past behavior, I do think that's a good initiative. Mostly needed PR from him, but still something good come out of this.

Thoughts?

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I commend him for stepping up to the plate. He's done nothing like what these others have done, yes he's made mistakes though.

He's generally a good guy and I hope he's able to get Damon up for it as well.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I assume he wants to tell more people to 'stop doing that'.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what Hilarie Burton thinks about this.

Actually looking into it, it seems like she accepted his apology. If that's the case then I think he deserves the chance to show he's grown.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Put your money where your mouth is Ben. Plenty of charities dealing with these sorts of issues.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
That all sounds like a pretty boiler plate response from a PR team. Not that I don't believe he wants to help out it just comes off as very generic if thats the right term. But he's probably not going to go into his ten point manifesto about how to stop sexual assault while being interviewed for Justice League.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah classic PR statement to make himself look clean. Don't believe it for a second.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yeah classic PR statement to make himself look clean. Don't believe it for a second.

While I completely agree that it reeks PR stunt, I try to control my own cyniscism because I feel like something like this needs all hands on deck to provoke actual effective change. While I don't think he should lead, he echoing the sentiment that changes need to be made and going on record puts him on the spotlight and if he screws up, he just needs to look to what's happening to Harvey Weinstein, Brett Ratner and the Call of Duty / American Beauty / Fake Gene Hackman guy: he messes up, he is literally screwed. So yeah, him saying this and this getting the attention is getting has an actual positive side to it, at least I'm trying to convince myself of that.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for redemption but it's often hard earned. If he's earnestly going to try bettering himself, so be it. Time will tell and talk is cheap.

Put your money where your mouth is Ben. Plenty of charities dealing with these sorts of issues.

He did say he's following Kevin Smith's lead in giving residuals from Miramax/Weinstein. It's a start.

Ninja

Oct 28, 2017
What can he do besides throw money at the problem? Tell everyone to STOP DOING THAT like he did with Weinstein? Yeah, that'll do the trick.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I can't buy into this whole "don't make the mistakes I made" bullshit. idk if that makes me an asshole or not but like u were foolish enough to do it, now u get to be a scumbag.

I can get behind outing other ppl tho. People should feel very unsafe about making poor choices.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Affleck doesn't strike me as someone who is committed to change, but I'd like to be proven wrong since I don't dislike his work and thought he was the best thing about BvS.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Ben affleck is running for president 2020

Well, it seems that The Rock and Kanye might too. We live in a crazy world. If my future self told me ten years ago that Southland Tales storyline could happen in real life, I would laugh my ass off and tell my future self that he was on crazy pills (but good god you do have better hair now, so you do you, weird vision of my future self).

Richard Kelly is truly an underrated visionary and when he predicted this insanity, we thought he went mad after Donnie Darko. And yet, here we are. Odd and terrifying poetic injustice indeed.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why don't you start by calling out your brother for his shit? Don't see you doing that, Benny...

I get what you're saying, but I think it's way harder when it's family... plus, what, you gonna scold your brother over social media? That's stuff is better private.

Be great if he follows through on it and stops grabbing ass. I believe in you Ben

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Well I don't know maybe start with your brother? Maybe actually do something that takes, time and effort and energy? If just donates half a mil obviously that goes a long way but for someone as wealthy as him its easy and meaningless. All these Hollywood people drive me insane with their endless PR and negligible real impacr - DiCaprio with Private Jet that causes 1000x times more emissions than any normal person then this. Good that you're doing something but only if that's actually so.

Oct 25, 2017
"Please don't ask me about this stuff while I'm promoting Justice League."
Pretty much exactly this...

"Hey folks, I know, you know that I knew Harvey on a personal level, but WB is counting on this movie to do real well at the box office, it's a make it or break it kinda thing for me and for them, let's all go see Justice League and stop focusing on this sexual harassment thing, eh, what say you?"

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
What can he do besides throw money at the problem? Tell everyone to STOP DOING THAT like he did with Weinstein? Yeah, that'll do the trick.

Ideally he'd use his position as a producer to help give opportunities to women and elevate them to positions ordinarily inhabited by men. Help change the gradual make up of Hollywood.

Look back to that Project Greenlight show. The case Effie Brown was trying to make, before getting shut down by Matt Damon, was to give the female filmmaker an opportunity. It's something people in certain positions can recognize instead of hiring someone who reminds them of themselves; the whole Trevorrow thing.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame anyone here for being cynical, but for the moment, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
I don't have to forgive his past actions to believe he can do better.

Let's see if you actually do something, Ben.

Oct 25, 2017
While a lot of this is probably defensive on his part, not just because he has a big movie coming out and because his name was brought up several times as a harasser as well as someone who knew of Weinstein's serial harassment, I think those words are a decent first step and that he backs them up continuously. Also, I don't know if he has a production company, but if he does he should hire more women and get them in positions of power as well since that helps too.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Anne-Marie Losique says hi Ben
If I'm remembering correctly she came out in defense of him. Said it was part of a bit that was planned for that video interview.

I hope his words on this aren't hollow. This is the first part of doing better and a follow through with actions/charitable contributions would help.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
There's a video out there with him and a news reporter. He is drunk, and being awfully flirty with the girl.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
There's a video out there with him and a news reporter. He is drunk, and being awfully flirty with the girl.
Isn't that the same video where she came out and said it was for the camera? People seriously need to actual research before they say stupid shit, this is how everything gets out of hand.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Yeah... A PR move to promote his LAST movie as Batman. At least the money will help in some way the victims. The world is a mess man. We are you self-absorbed to make a change.

Luna V.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it seems that The Rock and Kanye might too. We live in a crazy world. If my future self told me ten years ago that Southland Tales storyline could happen in real life, I would laugh my ass off and tell my future self that he was on crazy pills (but good god you do have better hair noq, so you do you, weird vision of my future self).

Richard Kelly is truly an underrated visionary and when he predicted this insanity, we thought he went mad after Donnie Darko. And yet, here we are. Odd and terrifying poetic injustice indeed.

Yes! I found you! One of the dozen people that likes Southland Tales! I second everything you say, it's wild thinking about how similar our world is to the one depicted in that film compared even to 5 years ago.

Scientists are saying the future is going to be far [less] futuristic than they originally predicted.... :/

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
My word.

You can't even express your will to do the right thing without people dissecting it under immediate political assumptions and false pretenses. Has anyone ever thunked that he actually means to act by what he says?

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should not be allowed anywhere near women. Just his children. This guy is all talk like the rest of the elites in Hollywood. The second this harassment stuff becomes old news he'll likely return to harassing women. Only now he wants to be the solution after his friends were caught... How convenient.

Stringer Bell for the next Batman.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
His brother had rape allegations? I thought he was acting like a total gross druggy creep on his movie set and then paid out settlements to two women.

Yep. It was sexual harassment allegations that ended up being resolved by settlement

I don't know why on earth people expect him to publicly chew out his brother about this. And who's to say he hasn't talked about it to him privately. Not everything has to be aired out on Twitter and Instagram.

Ben is for sure part of the problem but hopefully he means this instead of it being a hollow pr move. And good idea following Kevin Smith's lead on the Miramax/weinstein donations.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yes! I found you! One of the dozen people that likes Southland Tales! I second everything you say, it's wild thinking about how similar our world is to the one depicted in that film compared even to 5 years ago.

Scientists are saying the future is going to be far [less] futuristic than they originally predicted.... :/
YES we exist!!!!!! Me and other 5 weirdos get together in a forest every full moon to dance naked to Krysta Now songs, it's a shame that we run out of money to print pamphlets and it never reached you though.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just wanted to point out Casey settled with his accusers and it wasn't rape and also had to do with credit and money for their work, they claimed not only did they not get due credit but they deserved more because of his creepy deviant behavior that made them uncomfortable in many ways, and part of that settlement is an NDA so Ben literally cannot talk publicly about his brother.

As for my opinion. While Casey cannot talk about that what he said on Maron about that period leads me to believe he settled because they were right, both about him being a creep and not getting their due for their work.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My word.

You can't even express your will to do the right thing without people dissecting it under immediate political assumptions and false pretenses. Has anyone ever thunked that he actually means to act by what he says?

It's a cynical as fuck world we live in, but can you really blame anyone after all the dishonesty and snakeishness?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you start by calling out your brother for his shit? Don't see you doing that, Benny...

First, we really shouldn't be bringing up Casey Affleck into this considering that was handled in court and apparently to each parties satisfaction. That situation is way too murky to have a real opinion on. Second, why would you expect a brother to publicly shit on another brother? I'd never do that to my own brother even if I knew he was in the wrong.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the Casey Affleck thing is strange to me.

What he did on set was not acceptable by any means. He was in charge of the set so it is highly upsetting and irresponsible on top of the impact he had on the victims of his actions. However, I don't think it's cool that people are going around calling him a rapist or predator with such ease unless there is other stuf I am missing. Everyone seems to hate him more than almost every other celebrity since the story blew up during Oscar season, like they want him to never work again in the industry. I understand not wanting to give him Academy Award recognition within a decade of this behaviour but the disgust with his very existence seems a bit excessive.

Casey is responsible for his actions, he went to court, and for all we know everyone was satisfied with the result and moved on. Other than not behaving that way again I don't understand how he didn't handle it in an appropriate way. Maybe he is a predator and acted that way his whole life and continues to do so but I don't know.Maybe he is awful. I wouldn't be shocked.

But I think in general people just want to believe that everyone that does or says something bad is bad forever because it is so much easier to deal with sorting people into categories than dealing with the societal and power structures that lead to this behaviour.
I think we tend to more harshly judge the siblings and family members of celebrities who themselves become celebrities later. Like, regardless of their competencies and personalities, there always looks the shape of nepotism, and we tend to think they didn't really deserve their game and fortune.

Casey having that made us already dislike him, and then when we found out how he was, we just laid in on him.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no.

You can't just suddenly become the hero when you've clearly been an antagonist to women, Benny. It doesn't work like that.

Leave the hero part to people who don't have a history of abusing other people.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no.

You can't just suddenly become the hero when you've clearly been an antagonist to women, Benny. It doesn't work like that.

Leave the hero part to people who don't have a history of abusing other people.

For things to really change, EVERYONE needs to act more like a hero. From the presumably squeaky clean all the way down to the former deviants.