Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
scarface-money.gif

dannzibar

Oct 27, 2017
The budget for the film itself seems shockingly low. How does Illumination make these films so cheaply compared to Pixar/Disney? Fewer employees? Lower salaries? Less development time?

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So from that profit, how much is Nintendo's cut vs Universal Studios?? Can we assume half of that is Nintendo's?? Also crazy how much theatres make money. If I were Nintendo, might make it streaming only the next movie and get more money and cut out the middleman that way.

Jan 16, 2019
The budget for the film itself seems shockingly low. How does Illumination make these films so cheaply compared to Pixar/Disney? Fewer employees? Lower salaries? Less development time?

A lot of people don't know this, but Disney (especially Pixar) developed a lot of technology for their film even thought sometime it doesn't look like it (like how Disney make one to simulate the water for Moana, or Pixar with their element/fluidity tech in Elementals). Then they licensed those tech to other animation studios to make some money back, so the budget is always high (of course we need to mention the constant reanimate after screentest, etc.).

But Illumination rarely did any of that shit.

So from that profit, how much is Nintendo's cut vs Universal Studios?? Can we assume half of that is Nintendo's?? Also crazy how much theatres make money. If I were Nintendo, might make it streaming only the next movie and get money that way.

Probably half, they funded like 50% of the production budget, and although it seem like theater make a lot of money, their real profits is from snack and drink, not these, it seem huge but like, not every theater can get the big cut.

And if Nintendo were you and put the next movie on stream, they will lost a lot of money lmao people will pirate it day 1... And if they keep doing it, people will start to expect it and don't go to theater. There is a reason why a lot of Pixar, Disney movie didn't make much money these days, everyone is waiting for it on D+.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming that many of the animators are from France which have lower salaries than ones in California. I could be wrong though.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Honestly, the fascinating thing to me is seeing all the revenue and expenses breakdown, even if they're estimates.

In any case, I welcome the beginning of the Nintendo Cinematic Universe.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So from that profit, how much is Nintendo's cut vs Universal Studios?? Can we assume half of that is Nintendo's?? Also crazy how much theatres make money. If I were Nintendo, might make it streaming only the next movie and get more money and cut out the middleman that way.
There's no way Nintendo would be able to make this much money on the movie if it went direct to streaming.

And like it's been said, the cut theaters get from the movie is not that big. Theaters make most of their money from selling snacks.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
The new Planet of the Apes has some buzz to it. If it winds up being good and they let Wes make a legit film then we may have something actually great on our hands with Zelda, hopefully

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I would've thought Nintendo got a much bigger share. Cause I would imagine this profit estimate are from the perspective of the studio releasing. The money Nintendo makes would be part of the participations line item. And they've got $90M there. And I know, on animated films nobody gets much of anything for participations. But in this case Nintendo would. Voice actors don't get Profit sharing deals on most animated films, usually just bonuses based on box office (and even then, only in English speaking countries or domestic).

Granted, I know Deadline is often off on their numbers. They make good estimates but they are estimates. I wonder what their assumptions are on what Nintendo takes. Maybe they're looking at it from the co-financier perspective though cause they didn't reduce the budget to account for Nintendos input. But then…who the hell would get $90M?

Last edited:

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
these expense round numbers, for someone that works in business analysis, feel so good lmao

wish my boss would accept this kind of report

Jan 16, 2019
The money Nintendo makes would be part of the participations line item.

No ways. I thought participation is for "talent", so some kind of big names actors (which we have a lot of in this movie) willing to take less pay to get (possible) big money later.
Beside, Nintendo is also funding the movie and the one have the right of this movie, there is no way they only got the money from "participation" and not from actual theater/home media revenue.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
these expense round numbers, for someone that works in business analysis, feel so good lmao

wish my boss would accept this kind of report

I mean why wouldn't it be round numbers? It's not like deadline has access to actual numbers. They're guessing. Educated but still.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
No ways. I thought participation is for "talent", so some kind of big names actors (which we have a lot of in this movie) willing to take less pay to get big money later.
Beside, Nintendo is also funding the movie and the one have the right of that movie, there is no way they got money from "participation" and not from actual theater/home media revenue.

Participations is any profit participation paid to interested parties (excluding unions, that's residuals). Not just talent. It's also where co-finance partners get paid, or licensors for distribution, etc. If you looked at Universals accounting books, you would see all the money paid to Nitnendo classified as participations cause that's what it is. Granted I don't know what Deadline means, but I know what Universal would call it. And I Would've expected more for Nintendo, and something much smaller for actual talent. So I can't quite figure what they're suggesting on that point. They didn't reduce the budget to really account for Universals point of view so I guess it's not, but it makes that $90M seem a little unbelievable. I dunno.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
participations should be anyone with profit participation/points. given Nintendo also provided financing, I would assume Deadline is putting them in the studio cut, but we don't know what the actual co-production agreement between Universal/Illumination/Nintendo was (unless it's been mentioned somewhere but I doubt that specific breakdown has)

i wish the movie were better but good for Nintendo.

Participations is any profit participation paid to interested parties (excluding unions, that's residuals). Not just talent. It's also where co-finance partners get paid, or licensors for distribution, etc. If you looked at Universals accounting books, you would see all the money paid to Nitnendo classified as participations cause that's what it is. Granted I don't know what Deadline means, but I know what Universal would call it. And I Would've expected more for Nintendo, and something much smaller for actual talent. So I can't quite figure what they're suggesting on that point. They didn't reduce the budget to really account for Universals point of view so I guess it's not, but it makes that $90M seem a little unbelievable. I dunno.

90m with Nintendo's cut is way too low, i'm assuming they're including them in studio cut.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I know the days of home video making more revenue than box office are over but home video+TV streaming being about another 50% of box office on top seems healthy no?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Nintendo simply rules entertainment in general. It's really profound to behold. Their stable of recognizable creative work goes far and well beyond everything Disney has ever owned or produced (including Star Wars and Marvel), DC with Batman or Superman, Tolkien, Harry Potter…anything and all those other IPs combined, really. Their artistic impact in our lifetime is absolutely staggering if you really stop to consider it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
(almost?) every Disney movie released last year lost money lol

wonder how Barbie and Oppenheimer did compared to this, Barbie made more money but I guess cost more or had to share the profits more or whatever

kowhite

May 14, 2019
wonder how Barbie and Oppenheimer did compared to this, Barbie made more money but I guess cost more or had to share the profits more or whatever

Here you go.

deadline.com

‘Barbie’ Struts To No. 2 In Deadline’s 2023 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Barbie become the highest-grossing movie in Warner Bros history with $1.44 billion, overtaking Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

deadline.com

Oscar Best Picture Winner ‘Oppenheimer’ Is No. 5 In Deadline’s 2023 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Oppenheimer saw a profit of $201.9 million after the Oscar winner's home entertainment, box office and production costs.

Oct 27, 2017
The new Planet of the Apes has some buzz to it. If it winds up being good and they let Wes make a legit film then we may have something actually great on our hands with Zelda, hopefully
I was going to say I'd be surprised if it was bad, then just found out Wes Ball wasn't the director of the previous reboot movies, Matt Reeves was. Well, hopefully Kingdom is good too...

dannzibar

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people don't know this, but Disney (especially Pixar) developed a lot of technology for their film even thought sometime it doesn't look like it (like how Disney make one to simulate the water for Moana, or Pixar with their element/fluidity tech in Elementals). Then they licensed those tech to other animation studios to make some money back, so the budget is always high (of course we need to mention the constant reanimate after screentest, etc.).

But Illumination rarely did any of that shit.

Good stuff

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Oh wow it beat Barbie, incredible start to their cinematic universe:)
What is the most profitable movie of all time, I remember Avatar and endgame being the top grossing

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Oh wow it beat Barbie, incredible start to their cinematic universe:)
What is the most profitable movie of all time, I remember Avatar and endgame being the top grossing

This is an unanswerable question. Nobody has enough information to really say for sure. It's probably one of those movies youd think but who could ever actually figure that out. What even counts? Granted, I'm gonna guess it is not Avatar or Endgame cause too many big players got money. Then something like Lion King…you don't have to really pay anyone. And do you count the stage show? I could come up with tons more questions that would make this incredibly impossible to answer. I mean even these Deadline numbers are what…10 year estimates? It's not even the end of day profit, itll be more after these numbers. Anyway I go on.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
All of the above is part of it, but also, I mean…

Have you sat and watched films from both studios? Because the difference is pretty stark. The animation detail/complexity, the technical complexity of the effects, the environment detail/complexity, and the general artistry of everyone involved is on another level entirely in Pixar films.

No Illumination film will ever look like this 5 year old Toy Story 4 scene:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRr0Dg9faQc

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
I guess Nintendo gets a 50 % of that...maybe a third if the profit is split between universal + Illumination?

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
I guess Nintendo gets a 50 % of that...maybe a third if the profit is split between universal + Illumination?
doesn't really matter what they get, the profit of the movies is not significant for nintendo.

the real value is the commercial for their IP. getting kids excited about Mario is immense for them.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
doesn't really matter what they get, the profit of the movies is not significant for nintendo.

the real value is the commercial for their IP. getting kids excited about Mario is immense for them.
Exellent point.
Any new kid that gets intrested in a Mario movie, is possibly a new fan of Nintendo and it´s ecosystem including consoles, games and merch.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo simply rules entertainment in general. It's really profound to behold. Their stable of recognizable creative work goes far and well beyond everything Disney has ever owned or produced (including Star Wars and Marvel), DC with Batman or Superman, Tolkien, Harry Potter…anything and all those other IPs combined, really. Their artistic impact in our lifetime is absolutely staggering if you really stop to consider it.
... Nah.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy shit, movie was okay but it truly shows the power of Nintendo's IPs.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Time to see a slew of video game based movies.

The new superhero movies if you will.

I'm fine with it too.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that the profitability of of these animations didn't come at the expense of the animators, but it'd be good if it can convince Disney that something like X-Men can work as animated movies with a budget on the level of Spiderverse.