• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people should be seriously concerned unless the WHO upgrades the situation. They seem to be pretty on top of things.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
China is handling this amazingly well tbh. Starting from the open-source sharing of the virus' genetic code. Dunno if we would be having this level of efficiency had this happened somewhere else!
I think it's too early to tell how effective are the containment measures they are taking, but I believe the speed in which this virus was identified, sequenced and a test for it was created is pretty much unprecedented.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, can they whip up a vaccine then?

I remember when swine flu was in the news I went in to get some special vaccine for that.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's too early to tell how effective are the containment measures they are taking, but I believe the speed in which this virus was identified, sequenced and a test for it was created is pretty much unprecedented.

this is remarkable.

Ok, can they whip up a vaccine then?

I remember when swine flu was in the news I went in to get some special vaccine for that.

Takes a while.

Mar 26, 2018
If its one thing I feel China could do is create something that would help the symtoms or stop it from spreading as they are fast to act say compared to the US that may wait years to get a product out for people to take.

Now, I can see how both ways has it's plus and minuses but I strongly believe they will find a real solution medically and I wouldn't surprise to see it being used in a few weeks, not saying it will happen just that I wouldn't be surprised.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
If its one thing I feel China could do is create something that would help the symtoms or stop it from spreading as they are fast to act say compared to the US that may wait years to get a product out for people to take.

Now, I can see how both ways has it's plus and minuses but I strongly believe they will find a real solution medically and I wouldn't surprise to see it being used in a few weeks, not saying it will happen just that I wouldn't be surprised.
Nah the US actually has a law that lets companies speed up vaccines and treatments for experimental diseases if they show a lot of promise. This happened with the Ebola vaccine and HIV. I think it actually started with HIV and how we got the antiretrovirals we use today.

Mar 26, 2018
Nah the US actually has a law that lets companies speed up vaccines and treatments for experimental diseases if they show a lot of promise. This happened with the Ebola vaccine and HIV. I think it actually started with HIV and how we got the antiretrovirals we use today.
I look at it like I do the road system between US and japan. 3 months to fix a pot hold in the US and a few days to fix a sink hole in Japan. I know this is an odd comparison but it's just culture as well.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I look at it like I do the road system between US and japan. 3 months to fix a pot hold in the US and a few days to fix a sink hole in Japan. I know this is an odd comparison but it's just culture as well.
Roads and treatments for diseases are done by two totally separate departments. Actually they are done by two totally separate governments in the US. Roads are usually done by the states whereas vaccine research and approval are done by the federal FDA and CDC.

Mar 26, 2018
There is only so much you can do since you need eggs, grow the virus itself in said eggs, actual manufacturing, then distribution, etc.
I don't want to say I know or induce any maybe this or maybe that, I just think they may have something sooner rather than later.

Roads and treatments for diseases are done by two totally separate departments. Actually they are done by two totally separate governments in the US. Roads are usually done by the states whereas vaccine research and approval are done by the federal FDA and CDC.
I am saying I know it's an odd comparison but china won't abide by the same process as the US is the point. If they find something and they find it working, they will use it IMO

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glanced at replies to that tweet. Some claiming there is bioweapons lab in city where virus originated. That would be helluva twist on the events.
Let's not further spread such rumors, there is really no evidence for that.

I don't think it would, in some countries yes but if China is desperate it needs to be then there could be much faster results imo and from my 7 years of living here.
There is still no vaccine for SARS or MERS.
Having a vaccine in time to help contain this specific outbreak is going to be really unprecedented in terms of the time it took.
It's not impossible, science is improving all the time and China is putting a whole lot of resources obviously, but I don't believe it's terribly likely.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you can do anything more quickly if you don't care about safety.

I think the bigger hurdle is simply the scale required to produce a billion doses of something.

Mar 26, 2018

Having a vaccine in time to help contain this specific outbreak is going to be really unprecedented in terms of the time it took.
It's not impossible, science is improving all the time and China is putting a whole lot of resources obviously, but I don't believe it's terribly likely.
I think it depends on the severity of the issue, if its being contained there is no need for the work flow or extreme measures right. If it is truly as epic and as bad as some are acting them desperate times desperate measures?

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
Well, idk if i should start worrying or not yet. I'm in NC and the news just said a person is being medically investigated for suspicion of having the virus after coming from China landing in Raleigh-Durham Airport. This whole state has practically been sick for the last month or two with the flu(my fiancée and I just got over it ourselves, my whole job and family have gotten sick recently too). I'm worried everyone's immune systems are gonna be shot if this stuff travels to the state. Ugh idk feel like I'm rambling sorry.

https://abc11.com/health/nc-investigating-possible-coronavirus-in-person-who-arrived-at-rdu/5876318/

Min

Oct 25, 2017

Having worked in a lab that handled sequencing data for target-enriched genomic libraries for a couple of years, this is a pretty impressive feat.

Even more impressive when you layer on top of that phage isolation and receptor recognition...

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Discussion Guidelines

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
While we understand the level of concern about the coronavirus, please be sure to use accurate news sources when posting and avoid conspiracy theories as well as unsubstantiated information. People should treat this situation with the seriousness that it calls for and not just fearmonger. Any postings failing to do may be subject to moderation.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

We still don't have a vaccine for the common cold.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
We still don't have a vaccine for the common cold.

That's because there are too many viruses which can cause it, plus the common cold is self limiting and generally non-serious. Flu can be more serious (for the young, the sick and the elderly) and flu shots only protect against three or four strains (which strains to vaccinate against is determined by scientists who need to predict those strains which are most likely to affect people in the upcoming season).

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Article on The new england journal of medicine, for those who are interested.
"Patient 2 initially reported fever and cough on December 20, 2019; respiratory distress developed 7 days after the onset of illness and worsened over the next 2 days (see chest radiographs, Figure 1), at which time mechanical ventilation was started. He had been a frequent visitor to the seafood wholesale market. Patients 1 and 3 recovered and were discharged from the hospital on January 16, 2020. Patient died on January 9, 2020."

A little concerning how long that takes, I wonder if that means there could be a much higher mortality rate after a few weeks.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
apparently there's 237 of the infected in critical condition in china

that's kinda unsettling considering they're only claiming like 1000 infected

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
apparently there's 237 of the infected in critical condition in china

that's kinda unsettling considering they're only claiming like 1000 infected

Confirmed infected is 1000+, actual numbers will be higher as many patients haven't been tested, and many with potential symptoms are told to go home instead. Wuhan's hospitals are apparently overwhelmed according to social media.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Glanced at replies to that tweet. Some claiming there is bioweapons lab in city where virus originated. That would be helluva twist on the events.

Probably referring to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosafety_level#Biosafety_level_4

There is only one publicly known lab in China at BSL-4, in Wuhan. Not a bioweapons lab, though im sure there are secret Chinese military labs for that. Just more fear mongering BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.