• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That article requires a sign up to view, can you relay how they are not denying it and how it's any different from the multitude of reports that have been shown in this thread? I understand your wanting for official numbers, but so far there have been multiple reports contradicting the official numbers from scmp, guardian, and the bbc
The twitter summary is not enough for you?
"Overwhelmed hospital staff runs short of virus test kits and hospital beds as authorities urgently seek donations of critical medical supplies".

This is Chinese media, if the government didn't want to story to run, it wouldn't, and they have quotes from government officials inside too.
And more broadly, I really don't see anyone in the Chinese government saying or acting like this is a simple situation that they got under control, like that reporter claimed. I see the exact opposite.

Maybe they're lying and they know they have 10x infected and 10x deaths in Wuhan, I don't know, I don't think you know either, feel free to believe what you want, I have friends there so I'm not gonna be rooting for worst case scenario.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm nervous. I'm in illinois, close to the Wisconsin border, northeast. I had to go to the hospital yesterday for something unrelated. There is either one or two cases in illinois so far.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I think it's important to remember things got out of control in China because they underestimated the spread of the virus. There shouldn't be any problem abroad as long as every other country treats each new positive case with extreme care.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's important to remember things got out of control in China because they underestimated the spread of the virus. There shouldn't be any problem abroad as long as every other country treats each new positive case with extreme care.
On one hand I agree with this, on the other it's concerning if people can go for one two weeks without showing symptoms and be contagious, and individual outbreaks get too large before anyone notices them.

I was happy to hear that here in Canada 5 people were screened and tested negative.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

You would think after different scenarios with other health issues in the last few years....they would be better prepared or take whatever the next outbreak was seriously...not a good look.

Hopefully they'll be able to contain it like the rest and hopefully be prepared for a potential future one because these type of incidents just keep occurring every few years.

I take it may be due to the seafood/animals in the area - at least according to some reports.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
On one hand I agree with this, on the other it's concerning if people can go for one two weeks without showing symptoms and be contagious, and individual outbreaks get too large before anyone notices them.

I was happy to hear that here in Canada 5 people were screened and tested negative.

Yes, that's the main concern for plenty. I'm glad to hear most potential infections have turned out negative. It means the authorities are actually doing their job screening everyone. Better safe than sorry.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
China needs to do something about why some of these global viruses are originating from their country.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
You would think after different scenarios with other health issues in the last few years....they would be better prepared or take whatever the next outbreak was seriously...not a good look.

Hopefully they'll be able to contain it like the rest and hopefully be prepared for a potential future one because these type of incidents just keep occurring every few years.

I take it may be due to the seafood/animals in the area - at least according to some reports.

It's puzzling to realize they're going through this situation again. According to some reports, the Chinese government wasn't aware of the potential for an outbreak in Wuhan due to local censorship. Many sources mention there was fear of repression in the population right at beginning, which is when the authorities should've reacted to prevent this outcome.

I think the world did learn a lot after SARS, A-H1N1 and MERS, and that's why we keep hearing more and more reports of people testing negative once they're suspect of carrying the virus. They are not going to take the same risks again. It would be quite troubling if we weren't hearing anything at all at this point.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Ah interesting, are you in Wuhan by chance or in one of the adjacent provinces? Id be curious to know how people there feel about it. I knew there was a shortage of some equipment types of equipment in asia in general. Stay safe out there!

Thanks for the kind words.I'm in Shanghai, but my relatives and friends are living in Wuhan. It really is scary time. Fortunately they already stored enough food before the quarantine. They haven't walk out the door for days.

The situation is so complicated that I can't summarize the feel of the people. One of my friends in Wuhan,wept during our online chatting, because the government send her father, a low-level bureaucrat, to check the Hygienic condition of residential area , door-to-door. And her father is not allowed to wear integral epidemic prevention suit , only face mask, because the higher bureaucrat feared the suit might "Infuriate the residents." My friend felt so hopeless and I didn't know what to say to comfort her.

Xi Jinping said nothing about this in his new year's speech. The mayor of Wuhan vanished. The Wuhan government lose its normal function. That's the reason why some hospitals had to use social media to call for help. People have to self-organized to save themselves. For example, taxi driver voluntarily take the doctors to work, because the government are stupid enough shut down the public transport system without backing up plans for doctors and patients. Overall, It's not looking good, but good people are in the fight together. Proud of our people, ashamed of our bureaucrats.

What is the age of those dying?

Until 23th: youngest victim is 48, oldest is 89. And most of them have previous history of chronic diseases, such as cirrhosis, myxoma, hypertension, diabetes, coronary heart disease, etc.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The amount of people who've died outnumbering those who have recovered sure as fuck doesn't sound good.

Someone else correct me but can't the virus spread and someone be mildly affected like the fiu? Hospitals are filled and maybe those with mild symptoms are recovering at home so the death rate is just missing those mild cases.

The Wuhan government fucked up. So fucking badly.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Thanks for the kind words.I'm in Shanghai, but my relatives and friends are living in Wuhan. It really is scary time. Fortunately they already stored enough food before the quarantine. They haven't walk out the door for days.

The situation is so complicated that I can't summarize the feel of the people. One of my friends in Wuhan,wept during our online chatting, because the government send her father, a low-level bureaucrat, to check the Hygienic condition of residential area , door-to-door. And her father is not allowed to wear integral epidemic prevention suit , only face mask, because the higher bureaucrat feared the suit might "Infuriate the residents." My friend felt so hopeless and I didn't know what to say to comfort her.

Xi Jinping said nothing about this in his new year's speech. The mayor of Wuhan vanished. The Wuhan government lose its normal function. That's the reason why some hospitals had to use social media to call for help. People have to self-organized to save themselves. For example, taxi driver voluntarily take the doctors to work, because the government are stupid enough shut down the public transport system without backing up plans for doctors and patients. Overall, It's not looking good, but good people are in the fight together. Proud of our people, ashamed of our bureaucrats.

Until 23th: youngest victim is 48, oldest is 89. And most of them have previous history of chronic diseases, such as cirrhosis, myxoma, hypertension, diabetes, coronary heart disease, etc.

Please stay safe. My thoughts are with everyone in your country. I really hope other countries start sending help and supplies your way.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
My parents will be coming home to Canada from Hong Kong in a few days. I'm just counting down the days until they get on the plane and hopefully can steer clear from this whole thing. My long term worry is for my sister though who now lives in HK. I really hope the hospitals and government take the lessons learned from SARS to heart.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Reporters often do that where they get their news from Chinese media (because really, that's the only source of information about most of what goes on in China), and then repackage it as "THE SECRET CHINA DOESN'T WANT YOU HEAR".
Just so you know, most people can't see the full article. So when doctors say they don't have protective gear and you're like 'China isn't denying this, look at this article, China isn't hiding anything'. We can only see the following.
At 7 in the morning, medical workers start the day wearing full protective gear and goggles. For hours they treat suspected viral pneumonia patients in their surgical gowns — no time for eating, drinking water or going to the bathroom, and sweating heavily inside the safety suits.
Doesn't quite match but maybe there's more context within the article?

Last edited:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the age of those dying?
from la tiimes:
Fortunately, the virus seems to cause only minor symptoms — such as fever and difficulty with breathing — in people who are young and healthy. Most of the 41 deaths tied to the coronavirus to date have been in people who were at least 50 years old with underlying medical problems or weakened immune systems, Chinese officials said.

"We don't have evidence yet to suggest this is any more virulent than the flu you see in the U.S. each year," said said Dr. Michael Mina, an epidemiology researcher at Harvard's T.H. Chan School of Public Health. "Most people, with proper medical attention, will do just fine."

In fact, it's possible that hundreds or even thousands of people in China and elsewhere have been infected but have had such mild reactions that no one even noticed, said Dr. Tom Inglesby, director of the Center for Health Security at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Some might have fought off the bug without showing any outward symptoms at all.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been able to keep up with everything concerning this virus but have they pin pointed which animal this virus jumped from? I'm hearing a snake or bat? Does this have any validity?

Nov 20, 2017

Quite surreal to see 春晚 proceed as if NCOV was no big deal.

BTW we did have a 36 year old die yesterday:

It's concerning that he spent 2 weeks in hospital and still ended up dying.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

That's the definition of heroes right there. People are risking their lives to contain this outbreak.

Respect for the medical staff for doing this.

However, I feel like that this shouldn't be happening to the professionals who among us are the most well equipped and educated to deal with this.

Did they lack proper protection equipment? Was that equipment not used early enough because we didn't know this was a new virus? Or is infection inevitable no matter how well we protect ourselves?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

However, I feel like that this shouldn't be happening to the professionals who among us are the most well equipped and educated to deal with this.

Did they lack proper protection equipment? Was that equipment not used early enough because we didn't know this was a new virus? Or is infection inevitable no matter how well you protect themselves?
I'm pretty sure it's airborne like a cold and it's hard to protect against that with normal equipment. Plus nobody has any kind of immunity to it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm nervous. I'm in illinois, close to the Wisconsin border, northeast. I had to go to the hospital yesterday for something unrelated. There is either one or two cases in illinois so far.

.......... you live within like 20-30 minutes from me if you are a border dweller in northeast Illinois lol. Small world

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017

Did they lack proper protection equipment? Was that equipment not used early enough because we didn't know this was a new virus? Or is infection inevitable no matter how well we protect ourselves?
Ideally, PPE should be changed between each patient encounter to minimize the risk of spreading disease but think about how many people are probably going to these ERs/hospitals. It's not at all a stretch to think they don't have enough supplies.

Our hospital regularly runs low on flu testing kits during a busy flu season.

Mar 3, 2019

I see, that confirms alot of what i have been reading from a nurse in one of the hospitals in Wuhan in terms of the general infrastructure problems. I know it doesn't mean much from some person on the internet, but we're all pulling for you and your family/friends safety and well being, hope everything goes safely for you!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
My brother was telling me about a recent visit to the hospital in Ningbo for food poisoning, and while he was there a dude came in with a nail in his head and blood dripping everywhere.
They took a while to get him checked in and meanwhile people were sitting in the chair he sat in with blood on it, getting it all over their hands and tracking it on their shoes, until a janitor came by and "cleaned it up" by pushing the blood on the floor around with a straw broom.

so hopefully if larger, well-run hospitals are sending suspected patients to smaller hospitals, they're managed better than the anecdotes I've been told that inspire very little confidence.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Please stay safe. My thoughts are with everyone in your country. I really hope other countries start sending help and supplies your way.

I see, that confirms alot of what i have been reading from a nurse in one of the hospitals in Wuhan in terms of the general infrastructure problems. I know it doesn't mean much from some person on the internet, but we're all pulling for you and your family/friends safety and well being, hope everything goes safely for you!

Sincerely thanks. It will be a long battle for us.

Just today, Shanghai announced that the city enters Public Health Emergencies Level-1, which is the highest and most dangerous level. Public transportation in and out of Shanghai are partially shutdown. So Shanghai's situation is not looking good either. Guess I gonna stored some foods too.

Quite surreal to see 春晚 proceed as if NCOV was no big deal.

BTW we did have a 36 year old die yesterday:

It's concerning that he spent 2 weeks in hospital and still ended up dying.

Damn that's worrisome. I hope they analysis the death cause of the young patient thoroughly.

About 春晚,well, nobody expected they cancel it. But the worst part is, they added an one-minute segment, a stupid poem-reading about Wuhan to "send encouraging messages" .It was the most ridiculous Stalin-Soviet joke ever.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly worrying but SARS had a R0 of 4 so I don't think this should be that surprising?

Edit: Also, the number he's referenced was revised to a 2.5, which this guy acknowledged. This tweet is fear mongering. Ebola's R0 is 2 and it's not considered to be that contagious.

Thanks, I'll edit my post.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
How does this impact schools in China? Are kids off for New Year right now? Are the schools shut down? I haven't heard anything about this aspect of life.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My brother was telling me about a recent visit to the hospital in Ningbo for food poisoning, and while he was there a dude came in with a nail in his head and blood dripping everywhere.
They took a while to get him checked in and meanwhile people were sitting in the chair he sat in with blood on it, getting it all over their hands and tracking it on their shoes, until a janitor came by and "cleaned it up" by pushing the blood on the floor around with a straw broom.
...omg.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I at special risk to this because of having asthma? I'm pretty scared but knowing is half the battle.
Asthma does put you at risk for more frequent and sometimes severe bacterial and viral infections. However, most, if not all of the cases so far have been from people who were directly in Wuhan or very close to someone who was in Wuhan like a spouse.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents will be coming home to Canada from Hong Kong in a few days. I'm just counting down the days until they get on the plane and hopefully can steer clear from this whole thing. My long term worry is for my sister though who now lives in HK. I really hope the hospitals and government take the lessons learned from SARS to heart.

3 infected 10 km from where I'm am, my wife and son are in China for Chinese New year. (the traveled there end of last year)

Take all the precaution you can and make sure you loved one do the same, but in the end one life go forward.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
China needs to do something about why some of these global viruses are originating from their country.
Exotic animals and bushmeat are the issues. I am kinda surprise there hasn't been an emerging virus on South America due to cutting down the amazon and more contact with animals there.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

I hope it all works out for your friends and relatives. Stay safe.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Exotic animals and bushmeat are the issues. I am kinda surprise there hasn't been an emerging virus on South America due to cutting down the amazon and more contact with animals there.

Yeah I know. China still seems to be heavily involved in the eating and selling of exotic animals. The government needs to crackdown on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.