• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
So I don't live in or near Chicago, but my company is owned by a Japanese corporation, our home offices ARE in Chicago and they fly people to and from Asian hubs into O'Hare and they come straight to our factory... I'm unnecessarily freaked out by this, but its hard not to be :(

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Where did you get the transportation bit? I've heard nothing about that, but I also live outside the ring.

official report form global times:

For more specify information, you can check Shanghai goverment-sponsed Wechat accout, 上海本地宝

scroll down, there are information about changed train schedule in this article

Jul 18, 2018
Has the news about this being caused from people eating dead bats confirmed as true?
The only thing that has been confirmed is that it's origins are from a fish market in Wuhan; Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. Whether it came from eating a bat, eating a snake (which eats bats) or a different animal have yet been traced at the moment.

As of right now the research they have done with genetic sampling etc seems that it may be closer linked to mammals, such as bats.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that has been confirmed is that it's origins are from a fish market in Wuhan; Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. Whether it came from eating a bat, eating a snake (which eats bats) or a different animal have yet been traced at the moment.

As of right now the research they have done with genetic sampling etc seems that it may be closer linked to mammals, such as bats.
What about a mongoose that ate a snake that ate a bat?

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm going to asia in October, hope it clears up by then lol!" type tweets and online posts really don't reflect well on people. There are real people suffering and dying because of this right now.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018
Trying to figuer out if me and my wife should leave china. Very tough choice if this is being over blown.... I understand better safe than sorry but she doesnt want to leave her mom. Then her job and so on. opinions?

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to figuer out if me and my wife should leave china. Very tough choice if this is being over blown.... I understand better safe than sorry but she doesnt want to leave her mom. Then her job and so on. opinions?

How old are you guys and do you have any conditions affecting your immune systems? If you're young and healthy you shouldn't worry for yourselves at all at this point.

lunlunqq

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I have decided to bail out, for our small kids' sake. However, I've been getting repeated errors while trying to book our flights out and I'm losing my shit.

Mar 26, 2018
How old are you guys and do you have any conditions affecting your immune systems? If you're young and healthy you shouldn't worry for yourselves at all at this point.
36 amd 34 but
We would be in chongqing where it could have a decent affect and no one really knows the effects clearly in wuhan or here.

We mostly are looking at the time table of them shutting things down here and then we have no choice, making all of this very difficult

Jul 19, 2018
Certainly worrying but SARS had a R0 of 4 so I don't think this should be that surprising?

Edit: Also, the number he's referenced was revised to a 2.5, which this guy acknowledged. This tweet is fear mongering. Ebola's R0 is 2 and it's not considered to be that contagious.

Wouldn't worry anyway, what does an epidemiologist know?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't worry anyway, what does an epidemiologist know?

giphy.gif

Mar 26, 2018
In a time of holiday and time off it has to warm your heart a bit to know why they are working so hard. Being in China for 7 years, I truly have always got the feeling of care and deep rooted compassion even if it isn't always easy to see on the other side of the world and I really hope this situation goes well for as many as it can as there are so many worried and likely are sick that just didn't deserve this. If I am mad, it's at the ones that keep letting the food market situations go.

Mar 26, 2018
How are doctors going to get to hospitals?
My workers often already sleep there during normal times, they likely aren't leaving. I think the key a lot of people always miss is the difference in work flow and culture. My wife's mom works at a hospital and I haven't seen her but about twice this month and only about 10 min. or so (she isn't dealing with this issue)

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
If I am mad, it's at the ones that keep letting the food market situations go.

And this is something that isn't unique to T3-4 places. I live 5 minutes from Shanghai's largest wet market and while they aren't selling things like Wuhan out blazingly, it's a completely disgusting environment to sell food in with little to no verifiable ways to see where the food comes from or if it's what it says it is. And if you drive say 1-2 hours outside of Shanghai there are very large open fur and wet markets (that likely import into other local markets) that have things like snakes, bats, and mongoose out. My Gf's family goes crazy over these markets because they are significantly cheaper then elsewhere, but generally they don't think about why it's that much cheaper.

Edit- removed last bit since not related and or helpful

lunlunqq

Oct 26, 2017
Well, finally booked our flight out on 02/03. Hopefully nothing too crazy would between now and then and we can just leave.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Has the news about this being caused from people eating dead bats confirmed as true?
Bats were the cause of SARS jumping to humans 20 years ago, but it's way too early to know what this has come from other than it was probably some exotic meat thats banned or taboo for human consumption and thus been sold/consumed under the radar of the authorities.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I know its walking on eggshells to criticise another culture, but there have been reports and rumours that food is the source of outbreaks like Coronavirus and sars. If the foods and types of foods being consumed, their production, farming, storage and handling are responsible for huge, deadly disease outbreaks, then something within that culture needs to change. China needs to legislate and educate to stop outbreaks.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I know its walking on eggshells to criticise another culture, but there have been reports and rumours that food is the source of outbreaks like Coronavirus and sars. If the foods and types of foods being consumed, their production, farming, storage and handling are responsible for huge, deadly disease outbreaks, then something within that culture needs to change. China needs to legislate and educate to stop outbreaks.

I'm Chinese and I think it's possible to criticize (unfortunately, some) Chinese people consuming wild animals without overgeneralization on the whole Chinese population.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I realise that some people prefer to panic, fear-monger and blow things out of proportion, particularly when absorbing whatever misinformed and ignorant garbage the media throws at us, but if you want to educate yourself about this then I'd recommend a read of the top comments in this reddit thread:

here's a couple of pertinent posts:

question:
It seems like we get a virus scare every couple of years, the last one being Ebola. Is this one any worse than previous viruses?

answer:
So far, no.
At this point the World Health organization does not consider it a global emergency.
2009 Swine flu, 2014 Polio, 2014 Ebola, 2016 Zika virus, 2018–20 Kivu Ebola were all considered global emergencies.
There is of course the potential for coronavirus to mutate, become more lethal and spread. It's location is of particular concern as it is hard to contain in China's urban centers which are tied all over the world. The more it spreads the greater the potential for mutation. This is what makes it quite different than Ebola in rural centers of Africa.

question:
Why has this epidemic seemingly (from even the very early days when only a dozen or so we're infected) been responded to SO fiercely and described as so dangerous? Compared to SARS and the avian and swine flus, this seems like it was understood to be apocalyptic. I don't recall clean room people movers and PPE suits with only a few hundred sick.

answer:
After experiencing so many viral outbreaks the CDC and local health organizations have gotten much better at responding to these situations. We simply have better protocols in place and better precautions to help contain the disease as much as possible. The hyper-vigilance is more preventative than anything. Also I suspect it's being more sensationalized than is necessary by the media as that also tends to happen.

and don't forget this Wikipedia page either:

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
That's one impressive rush construction job, but from how it's evolved in the past 2 days since they announced that thing 1000 beds unfortunately isn't going to cover much.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
So how likely is it the official numbers are completely fake? That supposed number of infected vs quarantines that big don't match well.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm Chinese and I think it's possible to criticize (unfortunately, some) Chinese people consuming wild animals without overgeneralization on the whole Chinese population.
Appreciate that, and i tried to word it carefully. I totally agree, and i know China is a vast land with different cultures within it. China (the state) does need to intervene responsibly, though, and stop whatever is happening to promote disease outbreaks wherever it is happening

I hope i didnt cause offense, that definitely wasnt my goal.

Nov 20, 2017

Interesting read for those of you who know Chinese: this basically discusses how the Wuhan local government suppressed all information except through 'official' channels in the early days of the virus, as well as the notorious 'superspreader' who infected 15 medical staff (he was in the hospital for neurosurgery, and had seemed perfectly healthy before the surgery itself).

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Sitting here in HK visiting in-laws and it already feels tense to me. Luckily came prepared with masks and stuff, but it's nerve-wracking seeing it all unfold so close to here. They just declared a state of emergency for it here and are blocking any trains from Wuhan, and postponing school more. I'm just hoping our flight back to the US on Tuesday is able to get back there without a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.