• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Really? Cause I still knew how 1 looked like and the eShop now shows this again, ufff, and this looked pretty good and clean to my eyes, like a real improvement, didn't expected that.

Yeah we have many good first party games, but also a lot of questionable ones when it comes to the technicality (Hello Marvel Ultimate Alliance) and this here just didn't let me scream "urgh that aliasing" and "Oh god, looks like 720p" while watching it for the first time. So it's a big plus.
Yeah, completely honest. Thought it was another last gen port of a game I never heard about until I learned that it was a brand new game. 2 looks better than 1 but 1 doesn't exactly look like a looker, even by last gen standards

I suppose when compared to stuff like Fire Emblem Three Houses or Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I can understand but Nintendo's biggest budget ones look so much better than this that the thought of it looking beyond even a last gen game wouldn't cross my mind, let alone the Switch

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
yeah it's a really good time to be a fan of niche games. i think the industry is in a really good state now, and publishers and platform holders (MS, sony, nintendo, EGS, etc) are encouraging and funding projects like that, so games like that can afford to exist without fear of bombing and losing too much money.

That's why I don't get the people who are vehemently against console exclusives. I'd be willing to bet it's mostly PC only players since openness is a draw to the platform, but so many of these kinds of titles are only funded to round out a system's offerings. They realize there's a minimal ROI for some of these titles(look at the lack of marketing for MediEvil Remaster) and there would be so many small games that'd never see the light of day if not for exclusivity.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why I don't get the people who are vehemently against console exclusives. I'd be willing to bet it's mostly PC only players since openness is a draw to the platform, but so many of these kinds of titles are only funded to round out a system's offerings. They realize there's a minimal ROI for some of these titles(look at the lack of marketing for MediEvil Remaster) and there would be so many small games that'd never see the light of day if not for exclusivity.
yeah. you only need to look at the output of publishers like EA, activision, ubisoft, etc. while they make good/great games from time to time, they really have no incentive to take big risks. what matters to them is maximizing the profits from every single project they greenlight. platform holders on the other hand, they have a very reasonable interest in funding these weird, smaller projects. they're already making money in so many ways, including hardware sales, subscriptions or getting a cut from each 3rd party game. to them it makes sense to go after the smaller projects that makes their platform look "cool" or attract certain audiences who then will buy more stuff on the platform.
as a consumer, there's little to no reason to want anything to be exclusive. every game being on everything that can run it is the ideal situation. but it's also understandable why platform holders are after these exclusivity or marketing deals. without them a lot of these cool projects just won't exist in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most talk I ever seen for Deadly Premonition and it's because of the concept that most of the people here who didn't actually play the first game don't like the fact they can't play the second game for a while.

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Unless this game is being published by Nintendo, I doubt it will remain exclusive. I am excited for a follow up game.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
This appeared so casually that I thought it must have been announced some time ago and I just missed it.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Unless this game is being published by Nintendo, I doubt it will remain exclusive. I am excited for a follow up game.
Was just reading Eurogamer (PT) and they mention thers a possibility of the game being released in other consoles, but for the moment the game will be only be launched on the Switch.

Deadly Premonition, was the best worst game i ever played. And when i mean worst, im talking about how janky the gameplay is and how bad the game looked on a PS3. But the story hooked me up right from the beginning that i pretty much enjoyed the game alot even with his technical flaws. If the sequel eventually cames out for PS4, ill be there to play it, junky or not.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was just reading Eurogamer (PT) and they mention thers a possibility of the game being released in other consoles, but for the moment the game will be only be launched on the Switch.

Deadly Premonition, was the best worst game i ever played. And when i mean worst, im talking about how janky the gameplay is and how bad the game looked on a PS3. But the story hooked me up right from the beginning that i pretty much enjoyed the game alot even with his technical flaws. If the sequel eventually cames out for PS4, ill be there to play it, junky or not.
I ate so many pickles and slept in that shed by the infinitely respawning pickle pile so often to get my health and hunger meters constantly topped off...

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
THE COMPOSER OF DEADLY PREMONITION 2 WILL BE THE COMPOSER OF HOTEL DUSK AND LAST WINDOW!!!! OMGGGG

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually really happy about the physical release arriving later as I have way too many games to play currently. Can't wait to try it out, I wanted to for a long time!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope they fix the sound issues in the switch port. I was having a good time until I got to the hospital.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I hope, I really hope they update things to be more fun rather than keeping them in just because the first game did it.

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
So is this port bug free? I see the post about audio issues. Anything else? https://reddit.com/r/DeadlyPremonition/comments/d00hh6/patch_info/

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I am dying to play it properly. RIP to my Steam version that runs awful. Props to Durante but it didn't fix everything for me. It kind of sucks it's been out this long, ported out of nowhere when they could have instead left it in the oven longer, and at a $30 price, but we still have issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I know Deadly Premonition is fun in its sheer technical ineptitude and it's writing and characters being very charming but I am super curious to see how Swery has grown in the 10 years between games.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I know Deadly Premonition is fun in its sheer technical ineptitude and it's writing and characters being very charming but I am super curious to see how Swery has grown in the 10 years between games.
Well, he's directed two other games in the time since and they're both pretty good, so... And his studio's debut, The Missing, is technically sturdy if not very intensive.

That's why I'm a little tepid about this. I have a good idea of Swery's pedigree; and I'm glad to hear he's heavily involved, but I've none about Toybox Inc's. Does anyone have any impressions of their games?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Damn! Just saw it's confirmed exclusive to the Switch. I can't imagine Nintendo is helping to fund this. But then why make it exclusive?

Oh, just saw skitzo's post. Guess I'll hold off to see if the first game gets patched.

Nintendo is famous for funding/developing/reviving weird(out of norm) stuff all the time.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
What an amazing announcement. Can't wait for this.

Deadly Premonition, Nier or Alpha Protocol, only time will tell which game was more underrated in 2010. My bet is on DP.

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
It's over 24 hours later and my mind is still reeling from this announcement. This is like when Nier: Automata was announced all over again.

If anyone hasn't kept up with SWERY's more recent work, The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories was quietly one of last year's best games. It's short, but shows how far SWERY has progressed as a designer.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
That's why I'm a little tepid about this. I have a good idea of Swery's pedigree; and I'm glad to hear he's heavily involved, but I've none about Toybox Inc's. Does anyone have any impressions of their games?

Other than the PC version of DP being a trainwreck (seriously, it's in a beta state at best) and the PS3 version being not too impressive, I don't. Their games seem to get middling reviews generally. Deadly Premonition wasn't exactly a critical darling either though, and I'd take rough but with personality over slick but bland.

Oct 27, 2017
Will the game continue the Red Tree stuff from the first game?

I remember seeing a hint that indicates there are more Red Tree agents across the USA other than Kaysen from the first game. Also the Director's Cut ending about more murders in another place (New Orleans?)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It all makes sense now.

"FK... it's in the coffee."

FK... That's the screen swipe in Funky Mode in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Francis York Morgan is actually Funky Kong in a human suit.

These games were Switch-bound all along.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
It all makes sense now.

"FK... it's in the coffee."

FK... That's the screen swipe in Funky Mode in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Francis York Morgan is actually Funky Kong in a human suit.

These games were Switch-bound all along.

K is 5 letters after F.

S is 5 letters after N.

The numerical value of N+S (33) is 1 less than 2 times that of F+K (17).

1 and 2... Deadly Premonition 2 and 1 on Nintendo Switch. How didn't we see this all along?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Will the game continue the Red Tree stuff from the first game?

I remember seeing a hint that indicates there are more Red Tree agents across the USA other than Kaysen from the first game. Also the Director's Cut ending about more murders in another place (New Orleans?)

Nothing has been revealed yet, but:
The Japanese version is titled Deadly Premonition 2 instead of Red Seed Profile 2, and even the original game is being released as Deadly Premonition Origins rather than Red Seed Profile, so it makes me think that it probably won't be related.

In addition, Aaliyah's part of the storyline takes place in 2019 with the serial killing still unsolved, so it feels like the Red Seed stuff would be solved by then (York's part of the story takes place in 2005, so presumably that takes place before the Red Seed stuff)...

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing has been revealed yet, but:
The Japanese version is titled Deadly Premonition 2 instead of Red Seed Profile 2, and even the original game is being released as Deadly Premonition Origins rather than Red Seed Profile, so it makes me think that it probably won't be related.

In addition, Aaliyah's part of the storyline takes place in 2019 with the serial killing still unsolved, so it feels like the Red Seed stuff would be solved by then (York's part of the story takes place in 2005, so presumably that takes place before the Red Seed stuff)...
The name change could be a red herring if they want the Red Seed connection to be a surprise, tho

I'm sure it will be great either way. SWERY's back, York's VA's back, and we even got the Hotel Dusk guy composing.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im assuming Ninty is doing some funding deal here for exclusivity? Im perfectly fine with that, as it was literally impossible we would get another one of these glorious messes. But if they arent? That shit sucks.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Im assuming Ninty is doing some funding deal here for exclusivity? Im perfectly fine with that, as it was literally impossible we would get another one of these glorious messes. But if they arent? That shit sucks.
The way they worded their statement, maybe they only had the funds to develop for one platform and chose to start with Switch?

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Very sad that once again we do not have a perfect version of this game. Was hoping the Switch version would finally be the version to recommend but random sound drop outs and utterly atrocious frame rate during driving spoil this version.