• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Marvelous has been fairly close to Nintendo lately, probably filling up the hole Capcom left behind.

Good for them and good for us

Kodaemon

Banned
Jul 21, 2019
User warned: ignoring staff post
I will probably get a warning for this, but I don't want exclusives, and apparently I encouraged review bombing on another title, which I did not.

I do not want exclusives. At all. If this game couldn't happen unless it was exclusive, then so be it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I will probably get a warning for this, but I don't want exclusives, and apparently I encouraged review bombing on another title, which I did not.

I do not want exclusives. At all. If this game couldn't happen unless it was exclusive, then so be it.
This just feels like a silly position to have. How can you possibly justify not wanting a game you'd enjoy to ever be made, just because it's on a different platform?

The gaming landscape runs on exclusives. This isn't new.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017

lol what? So you would rather a game not exist than it be exclusive to one system? Just because you're bummed that a game isn't on your system of choice doesn't mean you need to selfishly take it away from others.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Deadly Premonition is a Nintendo exclusive franchise, York has been Bayonetta'd, and will be appear in Smash as the fifth DLC fighter in this season's fighter pass.

Kodaemon

Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I bought a console once, a PS3. For exclusives. It's dead outside of those few games I bought. I don't want to have to buy a piece of hardware that I will never, ever use outside a number of titles I can count on one hand just to play them.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
For now. I can't wait to play DP2.
It's exclusive until it's announced for something else. Good luck waiting though.
That's reaching. Where's the actual quote? It looks like this Sony fan site interpreted it differently than every other news site.

I'm just happy this game is coming. Especially happy it's coming to my preferred gaming platform.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
That's reaching. Where's the actual quote? It looks like this Sony fan site interpreted it differently than every other news site.

If we watch the Japanese teaser on the official website, there's a lot of room for interpretation
w3IAROX.png

Oct 25, 2017

We've received word from Rising Star Games co-founder Brjánn Sigurgeirsson about the possibility of Deadly Premonition 2 on PS4. He says the game is a "Switch exclusive at launch" and that the publisher is "not discussing other platforms at this stage".

Those are very open statements which have been used every time something is a temporary exclusive. As has been pointed out, other Marvelous-related titles have used similar phrasing and ended up on other platforms within a year. You're taking the statements at face value, when they are likely veiled language. As well, it was pointed out that this is likely not a Bayonetta 2 situation, as Nintendo does not appear to have copyrights for the project.

Most importantly though, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. As fans, it's perfectly okay to be ecstatic that the game is being made at all, but we should be just as happy that others would be able to experience the game on their platform of choice later on.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
We've received word from Rising Star Games co-founder Brjánn Sigurgeirsson about the possibility of Deadly Premonition 2 on PS4. He says the game is a "Switch exclusive at launch" and that the publisher is "not discussing other platforms at this stage".

Those are very open statements which have been used every time something is a temporary exclusive. As has been pointed out, other Marvelous-related titles have used similar phrasing and ended up on other platforms within a year. You're taking the statements at face value, when they are likely veiled language. As well, it was pointed out that this is likely not a Bayonetta 2 situation, as Nintendo does not appear to have copyrights for the project.

Most importantly though, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. As fans, it's perfectly okay to be ecstatic that the game is being made at all, but we should be just as happy that others would be able to experience the game on their platform of choice later on.
But where's the conversation that those two quotes came from. Again, I'd like to see exactly what the dev said, not the sites interpretation.

Oct 25, 2017
But where's the conversation that those two quotes came from. Again, I'd like to see exactly what the dev said, not the sites interpretation.

Those are quotes from the statement they were given, hence the quotation marks. They add their own editorialized statement at the end of that block, but those two pieces come directly from what Brjánn Sigurgeirsson told them regarding their question on exclusivity or other platforms. You are seeing the statement, which there is likely not much more to than that at this point in time.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Those are quotes from the statement they were given, hence the quotation marks. They add their own editorialized statement at the end of that block, but those two pieces come directly from what Brjánn Sigurgeirsson told them regarding their question on exclusivity or other platforms. You are seeing the statement, which there is likely not much more to than that at this point in time.
You'd think they post the whole statement from person, instead of just two portions.

Has any other news site made the assumption of non-exclusivity? Or that they've received similar statements like the one from this one site?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they post the whole statement from person, instead of just two portions.

Has any other news site made the assumption of non-exclusivity? Or that they've received similar statements like the one from this one site?
What's the concern here for you? It's already coming to your preferred platform. You're good to go man. Enjoy your life.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this isn't that dormant IP that Nintendo were rumoured to be helping revive

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Normally, I'm really critical when it comes to Switch games and their technicality. (Yeah, it's me 🙋🏽‍♂️)

But, seriously guys, 2 looked phenomenal, what's going on here? I wouldn't guess that it's a Switch game based on that trailer, damn.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is a very boring thread talking just about the platform choice. Anyone else who played the first game curious where the story will go after the ending of the first being so definitive? Such a bittersweet and beautiful ending.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
How's the Origins release technically guys? The eShop screens look super blurry for some reason. Is it 1080p?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just watched the reveal again and there is a goddamn mouse cursor on the screen 19 seconds in (there is a video in the OP)

Even the trailers cant escape the jank, I'm so happy

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How's the Origins release technically guys? The eShop screens look super blurry for some reason. Is it 1080p?

It looks native 720p on the handheld screen anyway. Very crisp. Haven't played docked.

Runs like crap at certain points though (as is tradition for this game apparently).

I just watched the reveal again and there is a goddamn mouse cursor on the screen 19 seconds in (there is a video in the OP)

Even the trailers cant escape the jank, I'm so happy

Ha, great find. That's amazing.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
There seems to have been a lot of miracle/cult favorites coming around the last few years. Shenmue, Trials of Mana, Deadly Premonition, Metal Wolf Chaos, and so on. It's great to see companies "crowd pleasing".

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
There seems to have been a lot of miracle/cult favorites coming around the last few years. Shenmue, Trials of Mana, Deadly Premonition, Metal Wolf Chaos, and so on. It's great to see companies "crowd pleasing".

Since it's mostly Nintendo who spoiled us recently, not my fault, theirs, where my Eternal Darkness port Nintendo?

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm just glad that SWERY is still making games. I was worried about where his career would go after D4 bombed and that Kickstarter campaign of his failed. This is the best possible news

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah it's a really good time to be a fan of niche games. i think the industry is in a really good state now, and publishers and platform holders (MS, sony, nintendo, EGS, etc) are encouraging and funding projects like that, so games like that can afford to exist without fear of bombing and losing too much money.

Oct 26, 2017
Normally, I'm really critical when it comes to Switch games and their technicality. (Yeah, it's me 🙋🏽‍♂️)

But, seriously guys, 2 looked phenomenal, what's going on here? I wouldn't guess that it's a Switch game based on that trailer, damn.
What? The game in the trailer looks well below most major 1st party Switch games. It straight up looked like an early to mid PS3 game at a higher resolution to me. Thought it was a port until I learned it was a new game

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've tried and failed twice to get into the original. If I wasn't in the middle of a bunch of other games right now I'd be very tempted to pick this up on Switch and have a third go.

I'm surprised 2 isn't set in Vegas. It'll be interesting to see how much it steps away from Twin Peaks and spreads its wings.

I really enjoyed J.J. Macfield.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Amazing news.

This was the last announcement I would have expected. Here's hoping the Switch DP port doesn't have performance issues.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What? The game in the trailer looks well below most major 1st party Switch games. It straight up looked like an early to mid PS3 game at a higher resolution to me. Straight up thought it was a port

Really? Cause I still knew how 1 looked like and the eShop now shows this again, ufff, and this looked pretty good and clean to my eyes, like a real improvement, didn't expected that.

Yeah we have many good first party games, but also a lot of questionable ones when it comes to the technicality (Hello Marvel Ultimate Alliance) and this here just didn't let me scream "urgh that aliasing" and "Oh god, looks like 720p" while watching it for the first time. So it's a big plus.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very boring thread talking just about the platform choice. Anyone else who played the first game curious where the story will go after the ending of the first being so definitive? Such a bittersweet and beautiful ending.
yeah, that's what i'm wondering. the ending of dp1 is so cathartic in so many different ways, it's wild. it's such a 'personal' feeling journey.

the guy in the apartment that aaliyah is interviewing seems to be zach, so yeah it's gonna be interesting to see more of zach's characterization - you got a pretty good feel for him in the postgame dialogue and quests but it's nice to see more of him but i really wonder if they can match just how tightly knit everything ended up being in the first game.

the added bit in the director's cut makes me think swery's had this idea stirring for awhile and that they've maybe been working on it since then, but who knows.
that zach is in boston by himself instead of with his family (apparently?) is certainly already an interesting place to start.