Oct 27, 2017
I thought this deserved a new thread so the message can reach more people.

While of course it is no guarantee of how this will be handled, I think it is important that he acknlowedged that he made a mistake.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten to the point referenced so far, but York chides someone for implying a trans woman is somehow "different". Considering that and The Missing Swery clearly means well, so hopefully this can be resolved in an appropriate way. Good on him for owning it and looking to make changes and listen to the community to undo the harm.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In a time where everything seems to be bad news piled on top of bad news, this response is really nice to see.

Obviously, I wish Swery didn't fuck this up in the first place, but the quick response and the pledge to fix it is great.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
What is the scene in question? I remember there being some shitty stuff in the first game toward the end, but it's been a looooong time so I can't remember the details.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What is the scene in question? I remember there being some shitty stuff in the first game toward the end, but it's been a looooong time so I can't remember the details.

I haven't seen the scene in question because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I believe it involves York repeatedly misgendering a trans character despite having previously monologued to the audience about how important trans rights are.

Someone who's actually started the game can probably explain it better than I can.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a time where everything seems to be bad news piled on top of bad news, this response is really nice to see.

Obviously, I wish Swery didn't fuck this up in the first place, but the quick response and the pledge to fix it is great.
This is a good response yeah. He clearly feels awful and recognizes the pain. Anyone hurt by this was right to feel that way but hes doing the right thing

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
It's weird that he made a mistake like this after making The Missing. Glad they're rewriting it!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the scene in question because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I believe it involves York repeatedly misgendering a trans character despite having previously monologued to the audience about how important trans rights are.

Someone who's actually started the game can probably explain it better than I can.
A lot of Japanese pronouns are gender neutral unlike Latin-based languages, so it's pretty believable that this was a honest mistake or oversight.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
That's awesome of him. The only time recently I can think of this froma non-indie was with Ys VIII's translation and that was just cause it was spotty.

When I first read the thread Title, I thought it was gonna be an apology for the game's trash performance. I feel like that deserves its own apology too, tbh.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Hey guys I have some good news to share about Deadly Premonition 2. Swery has Come out and apologized for a poorly made scene that came off as transphobic in the game.
I think this is a wonderful step forward in a sea of negative news in gaming about transphobic incidents in gaming(cd Project Red). As far as if the scene will be better it'll be up to Swery in the end and while it could be a disaster lets hope it's not!

a7xauf0.png

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Woah. This is pretty wonderful

If those scenes actually got a rewrite, that would be really something. I haven't gotten there yet myself, but I've heard people's thoughts on them.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would always rather someone own up and make amends for their bad judgment and harmful actions than ignore it or double down. In the event of this sort of transgression, the preferred way forward is always exactly this. An apology, a correction, and the intent to do better. I hope he makes good on the intention and the correction is swift.

This is why it's important to have diversity teams or diverse contributors from the outset. Something like this never should have happened. But this is the right way to proceed.

It is refreshing for once to see someone say "you're right, this is my fault, and I'm sorry." Imagine a culture where this was the norm instead of the exception.

Edit: It is now a few weeks later and it's clear this did not work out how I hoped. Disappointing.

Last edited:

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's an endearing apology if I've ever seen one. It's a shame that the game released with this, but at least it will be corrected, that's more than most games.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Textbook example of immediate action upon receiving information- SWERY, you just made a fan even more of a fan.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dude doesn't even hesitate to have a gamer moment of indignation, and simply endeavors to correct his mistake. That's what the fuck is up. 🤜 🤛

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard, it seems to have mostly come from a misconception that when referring to times before a trans person came out, you use their previous name and pronouns. I could see someone getting tripped up about that, but that goes to show why you get someone actually familiar with all this on board. Of course, the scene linked above shows an instance where this isn't the case.

I am happy Swery is actually apologizing and not trying to cite artist freedom or anything.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to see someone owning up to their mistakes for once. Hopefully he can do right by the trans community now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard, it seems to have mostly come from a misconception that when referring to times before a trans person came out, you use their previous name and pronouns. I could see someone getting tripped up about that, but that goes to show why you get someone actually familiar with all this on board. Of course, the scene linked above shows an instance where this isn't the case.

I am happy Swery is actually apologizing and not trying to cite artist freedom or anything.

I especially like the fact that he's like "the characters are NOT like that, it's my fault, I need to fix this". Like he doesn't just want to fix it for himself, he wants to fix it because he cares so much about his characters that he doesn't want his fans to think they're bad people either.

Oct 27, 2017

This.

I know he means well when he wrote it as I doubt he wanted to write something bigoted after The Missing so it was really suprising to hear about it. Hopefully he fixes it and learns to consult trans people always when he writes trans characters.

Hopefully it is rewritten soon.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Kinda surreal to see someone come out and be like "yeah, I fucked up. I'm sorry, we'll get that fixed" like this

Good on Swery

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Having yet to start DP2. I may just wait now, this is good. Swery seems like a very nice dude from his Twitter posts and public persona, so I'm not surprised he was able to own up to it. I'm glad he did.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Now why can't everyone else be like Swery, and apologise and promise to make changes. Haven't bought this yet but I will eventually.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really great, as long as the fix doesn't miss the landing.

I had decided to pass on the game when I had heard about that scenario, but I'm back in once this is patched!

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
thread merge killed my post...
Anyway Swery is awesome and it's great he's striving to do better when he messes up.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear that!

It never seemed like there was any bad intent on Swery's part but the writing felt tone-deaf or even insulting in more than a few scenes, especially coming from someone whose previous work was The Missing. Glad he's listening to the criticism and fixing those mistakes!