• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Deadly Premonition Origins |OT| Red Seeds in your pocket

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just me because despite loving and having watched the first season several times over the years, I would always quit early on in season 2.

I do have to ask though, how could Lynch direct one of those episodes and play a character in a few of them as well, but not be involved?
Lynch directed Episode 7 of Season 2. He then left the show creatively to work on Wild at Heart and because he disagreed with revealing who Laura's killer was at that point, he was still physically local and was willing to make a few guest appearances as an actor to play Gordon Cole. BUT, he had nothing to do with Episodes 12-20 as a writer or director. He came back to direct the final episode. Mark Frost did co-write Episode 19 though, the best of the bad episodes.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the Platinum tonight for the PS3 Director's Cut, my fourth Platinum to date.
FUCK KAYSEN. I thought I'd feel a bit better after getting to kill him twice via the Psychic Map C side quest, and while it was at least somewhat cathartic, still feels more like he won in the end after all that happened.
And now I have so many questions ahead of DP2.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
Pacifica, CA
Just got the Platinum tonight for the PS3 Director's Cut, my fourth Platinum to date.
FUCK KAYSEN. I thought I'd feel a bit better after getting to kill him twice via the Psychic Map C side quest, and while it was at least somewhat cathartic, still feels more like he won in the end after all of that.
And now I have so many questions ahead of DP2.
I kind of disagree.
While it's a shame that Emily dies, I do think it makes more sense for Emily to end up with York (instead of Zach), since most of the interactions that Zach has with various characters in the game are through York's personality. As weird as it sounds, I think Emily ending up with York is a really positive aspect of the ending, even though she had to die in the process. Frankly, I think the saddest part of the ending is when York leaves Zach, as the strongest relationship in the game (in my opinion) is between York and Zach, since York helps Zach through a lot, and York really only exists for that purpose. In that sense, I don't think Kaysen won, because Kaysen's just a servant of the Red Tree, and he's only really the main bad guy within the scope of Zach's story. Zach solved the mystery of his parents' deaths and avenged them and Emily. Things are so much bigger than what happens in Deadly Premonition, though, especially since Willie (who was giving Kaysen orders from the Red Tree) is still alive. What could happen in Deadly Premonition 2 is very open, because Deadly Premonition doesn't really resolve the whole Red Tree thing.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
I accidently got the name of the murderer spoiled... I hope the game is still worth playing? I mean, there has to be more to the story than figuring out who the murderer was... I hope (like with Columbo).

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I accidently got the name of the murderer spoiled... I hope the game is still worth playing? I mean, there has to be more to the story than figuring out who the murderer was... I hope (like with Columbo).
Yeah I would say that’s a big part of it for sure, but all of the quirky characters and moments really make it a journey more worthwhile than the destination kind of experience.

Hugare

Aug 31, 2018
It's still worth it

And it's not because I'm a fan, but because there are major revelations along the way besides that. I can even safelly say that the "main villain" reveal is not the biggest reveal of the game by any means.

Stay for the ride

Swimming

Oct 27, 2017
fuck.. watching supergreatfriend’s lets play and he totally doesn’t listen to the mission structure. seems like ive missed a lot of side quests and cut scenes just following where they tell me to go.

it’s not like there was actually down time or anything to go explore yet tho

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of disagree.
While it's a shame that Emily dies, I do think it makes more sense for Emily to end up with York (instead of Zach), since most of the interactions that Zach has with various characters in the game are through York's personality. As weird as it sounds, I think Emily ending up with York is a really positive aspect of the ending, even though she had to die in the process. Frankly, I think the saddest part of the ending is when York leaves Zach, as the strongest relationship in the game (in my opinion) is between York and Zach, since York helps Zach through a lot, and York really only exists for that purpose. In that sense, I don't think Kaysen won, because Kaysen's just a servant of the Red Tree, and he's only really the main bad guy within the scope of Zach's story. Zach solved the mystery of his parents' deaths and avenged them and Emily. Things are so much bigger than what happens in Deadly Premonition, though, especially since Willie (who was giving Kaysen orders from the Red Tree) is still alive. What could happen in Deadly Premonition 2 is very open, because Deadly Premonition doesn't really resolve the whole Red Tree thing.
I managed to completely miss
them pulling a "the dog was the mastermind" with Willie issuing orders from the Red Tree.

24thWard

Oct 30, 2017
I managed to completely miss
them pulling a "the dog was the mastermind" with Willie issuing orders from the Red Tree.
It's something that Swery confirmed in an interview after the game released, it's normal to miss it since it's not in the game at all.

It kinda gets foreshadowed

in the final cutscene, when Willie shows up with the little Kaysen doll

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder when the second patch will hit, i want to play the game but i'm waiting for that.

How is this compared to other versions of the game? I ask because I might get the physical copy once that I'm in Europe in a couple of months.
based on what i've read here:
360 version: still the best
ps3 version: pretty rough
pc version: super rough, game breaking bugs, kinda fixable with mods
switch version: best one after 360

snowtire

Nov 17, 2017
I think the map in this game is visually incredible (street name labels, etc.... seriously amazing stuff) but my goodness would it be so much easier to learn the way around town if the pause-menu map (and even the minimap too) wouldn't rotate to the direction you're facing. The tiny north arrow doesn't help much and it's not like you can even contextualize the direction you're facing when you have the game paused lol.

Seriously loving this game so far though, like a lot more than I expected to. It has such a reputation of being a 'laughably bad' broken mess, and while it definitely is quite janky (and very charmingly so), I feel like how much amazing stuff this game does doesn't really get talked about. It's really engaging almost the entire time (the horror sections are generally an exception, although the split-camera stuff in the lumber mill was insane and incredible) and has a lot of genuinely cool and unconventional systems going for it. It's almost overwhelming how many small, weird details or moments and just general bits of design have stood out to me as legitimately fascinating and neat.
I did have at least one detail of the story spoiled for me from someone's speculation on the trailer for the sequel, and I'm not sure how consequential that detail will turn out to be, but I'm psyched to see how things play out regardless.