• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
DeadlyPremonitionTitle-747x309.jpg

Deadly Premonition - Nintendo Switch - eShop $30 USD

The beloved cult classic, Deadly Premonition, is finally available on a Nintendo console and for the first time in portable form.

If you're just learning of this game from the recent news, Deadly Premonition is best described as a cross between a slice of life Shenmue style town with a Japanese take on Twin Peaks. If you dig quirky Japanese titles, ones that may have flawed elements, but live on the strengths of their wonderful characters or bizarre world, you gotta check this game out.

In Deadly Premonition you play as the incredibly charismatic FBI agent, Francis York Morgan. A man who is defined by his love of coffee, who will also rave about his favorite cult movies to his imaginary friend Zack.
The game is set in Greenvale, a small pacific northwestern town featuring a cast unforgettably unique and colorful townsfolk, all of whom operate on individual daily routines.
It's up to you to unravel the mystery of a local murder in this seemingly quiet rural town.

It would be great to see veterans of the game assist newcomers. As well it will be awesome to see how new players get to experience Deadly Premonition nearly ten years on from release.

Advice for newcomers:

It's been a bit since I've revisited this game, but I've got a series of tips that should benefit newcomers:
  • You will not run out of time like in Shenmue. If the game is telling you to go meet x person by 5PM for the main story, you can dodge that deadline and just hit it up on the next day without consequence.
  • Thus, my biggest advice is to take your time, get to know the townsfolk, explore around and don't just rush the main story.
  • The above is extra important because the side quests grant significant rewards that will improve the quality of life of your gameplay experience.
  • Don't spoil yourself, the story is a joy to experience and the web is full of spoilers for this game. Apparently even old trailers contain spoilers.
  • Temper your exceptions regarding combat and performance. This game shines in some aspects, but the RE4 gun-play is not its bright spot. Thankfully combat is only an infrequent part of the game.
  • As I recall, the in game map is a bit hectic to adjust to. Don't be afraid to pause and refer to the map in the main menu, or this map of the town.
Advice from user Chemi_ro
  • Cigarettes will move time forward in any amount you wish from more secs to hours as long as you have enough sleep and aren't hungry!
  • You will get a lot of back story when you talk with the town residents. ... They will change what they say depending on the weather.
  • I found that the most interesting conversations happened while raining! Also it is worth it to do side missions. You can get great weapons, items, and insights. Completing George's gains ... (see spoiler below).
    the radio, the game's fast travel.
    [*]There is a fast travel device. You can pick it up in CH2. Do George's side mission within the Sheriff Department, smoke until it closes, and make sure to pick a flower that appears only when raining asap. Give that flower to George when he is home after 21:00.

Resources:

Map of Greenvale:​
distressed_greenvale_map_by_whitneyc-d5s9yxb.jpg

Chemi_ro has a fan site with an interactable map and more detailed beginner information. Check out their site.
If you guys need a map I actually recommend the zoomable version on my fansite, Welcome to Greenvale, as it contains more information than my distressed map shown in the original post. (it's also in downloadable jpeg form too!)

I also have a beginner's guide you guys might find useful as well. Usually when people ask me for tips I tell them this:

• Deadly Premonition Origins does not feature the bonus cut-scenes that were added with the Director's Cut re-release. They're arguably not that significant and may be in the process of being retconned with the release of the sequel. Regardless, if you would like to check them out, here are links to some rips on YouTube, unfortunately featuring a watermark. These should not be watched until finishing the game.
Video 1 - Video 2 - Video 3 - Video 4 - Video 5

• It should be noted that there seems to be some concern over the audio quality of this port.
Edit: Patch 1.0.1 is now out. Users are reporting that the audio issue is fixed.

• In related news, the physical release of Deadly Premonition Origins on the Nintendo Switch will be releasing in November of this year, from Numskull Games.

Pre-order links are up in various regions.
North America: https://store.aksysgames.com/collec...er-deadly-premonition-origins-nintendo-switch
UK: https://www.game.co.uk/en/deadly-premonition-origins-collectors-edition-2652974

dims

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to playing this for the first time in November when the physical version launches!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that the sound completely cuts out at times. It's happened to me twice and while it resolved itself the first time it hasn't yet done it the second time.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Life is Beautiful...
Wouldn't you say so, Zach?

Edit: Outdoor window reflections are weirder than usually for me, lots of pure white or pitch blacks.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Kinda want to wait for the physical release. Deadly Premonition is the only 360 game that I never packed away in storage. It remains on my shelf. Always.

If I had to describe the RE4-styled sections of the game, I would say they are a self-inflicted punishment to atone for past sins.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How bad is the combat exactly? I'm really curious about this game but trudging through a bunch of boring, mediocre action scenes is going to wear thin very quickly.

Specifically, how hard is the combat? If it's just dull I can probably deal because the rest of the game seems really interesting, but if you have to repeat encounters due to frustrating controls I think I'll pass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda want to wait for the physical release. Deadly Premonition is the only 360 game that I never packed away in storage. It remains on my shelf. Always.

If I had to describe the RE4-styled sections of the game, I would say they are a self-inflicted punishment to atone for past sins.

The experience really does lead to a tasty crunch.

so says mr. stewart.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This game is really bad but highly, highly entertaining. Do yourself.a favor and grind out the unlimited machine gun. Makes the combat...workable...

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I implore anyone who wants to give this game a shot, don't spoil yourself. Avoid trailers of the game since some of them are chock-full of spoilers. The game is janky but don't let the first hour put you off, it gets better. DO SIDE-QUEST, there's a side-quest hint menu on the pause screen, the side-quests not only provide so much more story and cutscenes to the game but also some give you invaluable items like fast travel and unlimited ammo weapons (trust me, you'll appreciate the latter). Plus some of the side-quests are some of the best parts of the game. Ignore times where people want to meet you for main story quests if doing side-quest, there's zero penalty for missing them 99% of the time and you can try the next day.

This game is both so-bad-it's-good and actually legitmately good, and intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time. It does some things really uniquely extremely well, and other areas it's one of the jankiest modern games you'll ever play but it's a good kind of jank that'll add to the appeal. Know the game is not just good because it's bad, it is legitmately good in a number of ways and so-bad-it's-good in others. Not everyone will like the game, but if you like weird Japanese games, Twin Peaks, B-tier horror games, Shenmue, or the like, there's a high chance you'll love this.

High recommendations from me and look forward to first timers experiencing it.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
How bad is the combat exactly? I'm really curious about this game but trudging through a bunch of boring, mediocre action scenes is going to wear thin very quickly.

Specifically, how hard is the combat? If it's just dull I can probably deal because the rest of the game seems really interesting, but if you have to repeat encounters due to frustrating controls I think I'll pass.

The hardest part of combat is combat against the controls. Combat is super easy otherwise, quests will lead to infinite ammo guns too. There is a lock-on that will make it much easier too.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't mind the combat parts especially when you get the infinite weapons. Felt a bit like a mediocre RE4/Silent Hill kind of vibe. It's the bad map and driving that drove me crazy.

Upgrade to the fastest car as soon as possible.

I love the enemy dialogue: "Dooon't waaant to diiiee!" "I saaaawwww yoouuuuu!"

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, GET AT LEAST ONE INFINITE AMMO WEAPON. I wouldn't have been able to tolerate the combat sections without that unlimited machine gun. A shotgun is also useful for the most annoying enemies.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

It's less hard than it is unremarkable and janky. You won't lose much if you decide to play on easy and breeze through the combat segments.

Edit: The directors cut only has one difficulty but it's far easier than the initial release.

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
A poster in the announcement thread says this might not include the PS3/PC Director's Cut version's new content?
It looks like it doesn't, I wonder why.

Paraphrasing the Wikipedia entry-
"The director's cut has updated controls, updated HD visuals, downloadable content including various pre-order bonuses, additional scenarios, a new framing story and an extended ending."

Can anyone confirm this? I have the PS4 version both physical and digital in my backlog and a copy of the 360 original. I'd rather have more content over any better performance the Switch port might have. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
A poster in the announcement thread says this might not include the PS3/PC Director's Cut version's new content?

Paraphrasing the Wikipedia entry-
"The director's cut has updated controls, updated HD visuals, downloadable content including various pre-order bonuses, additional scenarios, a new framing story and an extended ending."

Can anyone confirm this? I have the PS4 version both physical and digital in my backlog and a copy of the 360 original. I'd rather have more content over any better performance the Switch port might have. Thanks.
From what people say it sounds like that additional content isn't even very good. The original with the updated controls and better combat balancing is the dream. I remember that original release being obnoxious in how many bullets it took to kill the creepies and the DC improved that a lot.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
It has the DC hud and seemingly the game balance changes it brought wih it which is a plus. I really didn't like the DC cutscenes and felt they messed with the narrative flow so I'm glad they took em out, maybe they'll add the option for em with a patch or whatever for people that want em.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching the heck out of this thread just to see people's reactions.
You're in for a ride, folks.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I already watched a Let's Go (incredible world and story), but I'd be interested to pick this up once the audio issues are sorted. Too much in the backlog right now anyways. But this is a lovely addition to the Switch's crazy diverse lineup.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Is this running OK? I got it on Steam ages ago and could never run it without crashing, so the Switch version seems like my best chance to play DP.

Oh and there's a tweet pertaining to whether it's DC vs. original, from the other thread:

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Is this exclusive? In the past I went close to buy an Xbox One just to play this game (and Lost Odyssey) since the pc port is garbage.
I'm very happy I can play this on switch.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The extra DC content didn't really add much to the game anyway. I hope this version is stable at least, since both the 360 and PS3 version would crash on me at various points, as well as have other strange glitches like NPC cars driving in small circles non-stop, never going to their actual destinations. It's a hard enough sell as it is without this stuff, so a more polished release would be perfect.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I implore anyone who wants to give this game a shot, don't spoil yourself. Avoid trailers of the game since some of them are chock-full of spoilers. The game is janky but don't let the first hour put you off, it gets better. DO SIDE-QUEST, there's a side-quest hint menu on the pause screen, the side-quests not only provide so much more story and cutscenes to the game but also some give you invaluable items like fast travel and unlimited ammo weapons (trust me, you'll appreciate the latter). Plus some of the side-quests are some of the best parts of the game. Ignore times where people want to meet you for main story quests if doing side-quest, there's zero penalty for missing them 99% of the time and you can try the next day.

This game is both so-bad-it's-good and actually legitmately good, and intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time. It does some things really uniquely extremely well, and other areas it's one of the jankiest modern games you'll ever play but it's a good kind of jank that'll add to the appeal. Know the game is not just good because it's bad, it is legitmately good in a number of ways and so-bad-it's-good in others. Not everyone will like the game, but if you like weird Japanese games, Twin Peaks, B-tier horror games, Shenmue, or the like, there's a high chance you'll love this.

High recommendations from me and look forward to first timers experiencing it.
Well said.

I really gotta get a switch before the sequel comes out.

Oct 28, 2017
Played it on release many years ago and it was like one mad fucking fever dream. Even had a visiting friend at the time decide to stay and watch me play it through because it was just so odd and abstract.

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
Definitely the best 'worst' game I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Very tempted to pick up a physical copy when it releases.