• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Bought this literally the second it hit the store. And I'll probably double dip on the collectors edition. This game is just so fucking weird, nothing else like it exists.

I hate to admit, but I actually haven't finished the game yet in my multiple copies and playthroughs I've done. I always get a decent chunk in and fall off for one reason or another. With DP2 announced, and this port existing, this is the push I needed to finally get this game finished. I'm extremely excited for it.

I hope the sound issues are worked out (probably won't be), but even so, this game can somehow get away with it's shittiness being part of it's charm?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'm gonna wait a few weeks before I double dip. Maybe there will be a sale. If not, I'm just waiting until my backlog is slightly smaller. Damn me for buying FF8 and Torchlight II on the switch this week already!

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the sound issues are worked out (probably won't be), but even so, this game can somehow get away with it's shittiness being part of it's charm?
I had to play the PC directors cut in borderless window with my task bar hidden to stop it from crashing.
It's all part of the experience lol

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
The absence of the Director's Cut material is a little weird since it feels like it sorta tangentially ties into the sequel.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
How is the difficult in this? I´m usually very bad with horror games, I really want to play because of the TP part of the game, but I´m afraid of getting stuck in some of the combat part

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How is the difficult in this? I´m usually very bad with horror games, I really want to play because of the TP part of the game, but I´m afraid of getting stuck in some of the combat part

4 hours in and it's almost mind-numbingly easy (which is good because the combat is just plain not fun).

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard at all and apart from moving around sporadically to close in on you the enemies are slow as hell

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The ridiculous sound effects when the red vines appear or disappear are starting to get a bit grating. While at the game time making me laugh when it happens. What an absurd game.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

It can be really tedious and has some difficulty spikes.

However there are some really easy sidequests that give infinite durability/ammo weapons that are lifesavers. Even just the infinite wrench is enough to help you breeze through it.

Later in the game you would def want at least one of the better inf ammo guns tho

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

However there are some really easy sidequests that give infinite durability/ammo weapons that are lifesavers. Even just the infinite wrench is enough to help you breeze through it.

You start the game with an infinite pistol. Is that new to this version? That's basically all I've needed so far.

Oct 27, 2017
This game was so so shitty, but I cannot deny the uniqueness and charm of the characters/story/dialogue. Its why I have the original 360 and the PS3 director's cut. There aren't many games like it.

I wonder if the sequel will be more polished.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I'll grab the physical copy of this for collections sake, but I think Xbox is still the way to go based on what I've seen.

Great game though.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
You start the game with an infinite pistol. Is that new to this version? That's basically all I've needed so far.

The inf pistol is ok but since it's really low power it can made things tedious. It was always in the game though.

Like, you can get by with just the inf machine gun and the guitar and you're probably set for even the more difficult parts. The starter pistol can do the job but might make boss fights 5x-10x as long

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Later in the game you would def want at least one of the better inf ammo guns tho

IIRC the Director's Cut version which I presume this is based on made things a lot easier. The enemy that crawls on the ceiling especially takes a lot fewer hits, I think that was basically a wall for a lot of people in the 360 version.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The inf pistol is ok but since it's really low power it can made things tedious. It was always in the game though.

Like, you can get by with just the inf machine gun and the guitar and you're probably set for even the more difficult parts. The starter pistol can do the job but might make boss fights 5x-10x as long

I read that one of the versions of this game significantly upgraded its damage. It takes literally two shots to kill basically any of the enemies I've encountered in the first 5 hours. Is that different from what you experienced?

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I read that one of the versions of this game significantly upgraded its damage. It takes literally two shots to kill basically any of the enemies I've encountered in the first 5 hours. Is that different from what you experienced?

I never played the directors cut but the above posts said the difficulty and damage was reworked. In the original game the starter pistol was fine for regular enemies but any of the stronger ones it was a pain.

Still haven't seen any confirmation whether this version has the DC tweaks

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the directors cut but the above posts said the difficulty and damage was reworked. In the original game the starter pistol was fine for regular enemies but any of the stronger ones it was a pain.

Still haven't seen any confirmation whether this version has the DC tweaks

Gotcha, thanks. As of now I'd say this does because it's been extremely easy (outside of the QTEs in the prologue) but I guess I'll find out whenever I get to a boss.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished downloading and am only in the very first room with the twins, but I'm ready to say it is a lot better than the PS3 version. This area was the first of many to run at about 12fps in that version.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I've always been interested in this game... If this port is decent, I'll buy it when the physical release is ready

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea how QTE heavy this game was. Pretty unforgiving with the time limits too.

Oh well the comedy is worth it.

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
So, according to the deadlypremonition subreddit, where it seems a PR person commented regarding the technical issues of the port, the dev team is aware of the sound issues and working on a patch to be released soon. Let's hope that's accurate.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quickly tuned into a gamespot live stream just to get an idea of how it runs in this port and they had all the audio drop out and had to restart like everybody says. Doesn't sound like an isolated bug in the slightest. Real shame.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I basically knew nothing about this game before yesterday. Hell, I flat out knew nothing about it. But the trailer in the Direct spoke to me pretty much immediately and I bought it and played a few hours. So let me describe how it is so far from the perspective of somebody who never played it before yesterday and has no prior fondness for it...

It's great to see impressions from people new to the series. [Holy shit, did I just say "series"? This is a series now?!] Stick with it, and keep sharing your impressions. There is something pretty substantial beneath the goofy charm in the end.

It's easy at times and bullshit at times. Just put it on easy and, as others have said, get the infinite weapons early (by prioritizing the in-game side quests instead of advancing the main story). They're something to be endured instead of enjoyed, so you don't diminish the experience at all by making it as easy as possible.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Tweet got deleted from Swery but it said
Sorry for bad porting. 😥😥😥
Toybox (publisher) told me that they will announce patch ASAP.
Please wait for that.
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
#DeadlyPremonitionorigins

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Glad to see Swery tweet about a patch, I really want to get it assuming they fix things up.

Sure would have been nice if they had cared as much with the PC release though. That was such a mess.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Can't imagine how frustrating it must be on SWERY's end for all these different ports to have problems and be (up to this point) unsupported. I hope he is able to get some traction with this.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Having admittedly had the game backlogged for a good while now after getting the PS3 Director's Cut, the new audience with this port and the announcement of a sequel led me to set aside time for it again.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Very important, what's being said here is actually not true:

It's easy at times and bullshit at times. Just put it on easy and, as others have said, get the infinite weapons early (by prioritizing the in-game side quests instead of advancing the main story). They're something to be endured instead of enjoyed, so you don't diminish the experience at all by making it as easy as possible.

This version is based on the Director's Cut, which got rid of difficulty options and just made the whole game extremely easy. There are zero difficulty spikes or challenges of any kind here.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
every version being broken in a different way is very on brand for Deadly Premonition
When they do fix the audio I kinda hope there's something left over that's inexplicably a little off about this version too. Nothing that would hamper the game though.

It will be nice to have a definitive console version once the patch rolls through.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad this port has issue. All versions of this game have problems it seems. The PC version has a pretty bad memory leak while the PS3 has terrible performance.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Swery tweet about a patch, I really want to get it assuming they fix things up.

Sure would have been nice if they had cared as much with the PC release though. That was such a mess.

They have a pretty big incentive to fix this version, as they need to build an audience for the sequel.