• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah, the side quest for the radio is a must. It upped my enjoyment by about 100x. Driving around from place to place was getting extremely tedious.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

oh fuck i fucking need it.
was gonna buy this digitally at some point, wanted to play it in October.
but this is amazing.

I am sad.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me there's sound issues? Is there a version of this game aside from it's original 360 release that isn't broken in some way?

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they get the audio issue patched up soon. Hopefully there's enough incentive with the sequel coming out soon for them to get this one into decent shape. I really want to give this game another shot. I've tried twice to get into it and subsequently sold my 360 copy. My first case of selling regret in years. Seems to be delisted on XBL and physical copies are pricier than I'd like. If I'm going to be paying as much for a used copy vs a new one on Switch, I'd rather the money go towards the folks involved in keeping the franchise going. Tried the PC port once or twice but ran into a litany technical problems before being completely stopped by the game constantly crashing a couple hours in.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah, the side quest for the radio is a must. It upped my enjoyment by about 100x. Driving around from place to place was getting extremely tedious.

The driving has a certain charm to it if you do it very occasionally, but yeah, everyone should focus on unlocking fast travel as soon as possible.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
If the audio issue gets patched up as they say they're working on, then this version will get a lot better because it's by far the biggest flaw of this version of the game.

There are still a few things a bit weird about this port but they won't matter to anyone who hasn't played the game before, like the characters look a bit creepier than they do in the other versions, I think the lighting may have been changed a little bit (really dark shadows and the lighting was simplified some I think), but if you don't have a frame of reference to what it originally looked like I don't think you'd notice and it's not that big a deal if everything else is working and I'd say is a good trade-off to making it run well (which the PS3 version shows with its terrible performance).

IF the audio patch for the Switch version gets fixed, I'd put it on par with the 360/PC version, which I'll explain why I have the PC version higher than most below:

PS3 Version: By far the worst version of the game, I'm not a person normally sensitive to frame rate difference, but DP is the most fluctuating FPS I've ever seen in a game, flailing wildly from 60fps to 5 fps. It's terribly optimized, and I think is the worst version of the game as a result. Tough it does have the Director's Cut content, I'd say it's worse than the PC version which I'll get to.

360 version: Still the most technically sound of all the versions, runs pretty well, looks good. Run gets on Xbox One backwards compatibility. The downside is the gameplay fixes present in every other version is not present in the 360 version, namely the game is a LOT harder in this version due to enemy health being a lot higher, weapon durability a lot weaker, things like your default handgun are crap in the original version (got a big buff in later versions), etc. It's also missing the Director's Cut improvements, which some of them are a bit controversial but others, like the new lighting/details to certain area,s are nice.

PC Version: This one is tough to evaluate. The Durante-made PC fix is kinda' a must, but even then it still crashes either occasionally or often depending on your system, there's a memory leak problem so the longer you play the laggier it gets (fixed with a restart though), and the physics of the car and coat actually can be glitched the first time you play, weirdly of all things fixed by launching the game the first time and then restarting your whole computer. Still, I actually had far less problems with this version than many and know it's kinda' a random draw if it works better or worse on your system. If it works fine, I'd say it's the best way to play the Director's Cut version though.

Switch: Assuming they fix the audio bug which is a huge bug for this game to have as music/voice acting is arguably one of the game's stronger points, it visually is the least impressive version but it's only by a bit and the game was never a looker anyway, so whatever. It doesn't have the Director's Cut additions (probably since most of them were pre-rendered videos is my guess, and the house you got and the costumes were neat, but not necessary), but it does have the gameplay changes that came to the Director's Cut version which is arguably the most important feature to carry over. I also personally felt the Director's Cut cutscenes were not the best for a first playthrough anyways as they sorta' break the stories pacing, but were nice to experience after having played the game, so honestly I think you'll get the best out of them by completing this version and then watching the cutscenes added online if it interests you.

Honestly, IF the audio bug gets fixed like I think it will, I'd say the PS3 version stands as the worst and then the rest are tied with different pros and cons.

Shorthand version:

360:
+Best performing
+Fully detailed and everything works as intended
+It has Xbox One backwards compatibility
-Missing gameplay balance fixes of every other version so it's by far the hardest version of the game, sometimes frustratingly so
-Missing the improved lighting/models of the Director's Cut (noticeable in a few scenes)

PS3:
+It has the Director's Cut fixes/balancing/content/lighting & model changes
-It runs like ass, one of the worst performing games I've ever seen.
-No seriously, it runs like assssss

PC:
+It is the best functioning version of the Director's Cut Content
+It has mods and the most content complete version of the game.
-The PC port is shoddy, it needs Durante's fix almost required, a restart of your whole computer to fix physic bugs, and memory leak issues.
-It's crashing performance is a gamble based on your system.

Switch (assuming they fix the nasty audio bug):
+It's the smoothest running version since the 360 port.
+It has the Director's Cut gameplay fixes
+Handheld Deadly Premonition is neat and works.
*Though it's missing the Director's Cut new content, which is in some ways a pro and a con, I don't think that content is best for a first playthrough
-But it does miss out on the added costumes, which some of them are quite neat so a shame.
-It visually is the worst looking version, but not by much and the game was never a looker anyways.
-Big changes and simplifications to lighting and shadows.

But if they can fix the Switch's audio bug like they say they're patching, I'd say it'll make the version on-par with the PC and 360 version, but I'd still say there's no definitive version of DP yet and it's a case of pick what you want the most I suppose.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
What effects is the Switch version missing? Runs at a higher res than the 360s 480p and seems on par ofherwise

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
What effects is the Switch version missing? Runs at a higher res than the 360s 480p and seems on par ofherwise
I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what's changed, but here's a shot by shot comparison to kinda' show what I mean that it looks a bit different/worse:

360:
0d314da782424538f0ad6251d1bb128d.png

PS3:
3bbab57b61b623eefd1f6a1700ac7c42.jpg

Switch:
5c1743f14e5ae80bde38b18e0f15d82a.jpg

---

360:
dbfc6bd682a7f4e370ed9eff44d899a4.jpg

PS3:
a76c354bd5f343d8a259f9b2e08ffcea.jpg

Switch:
2d11b62bbcdc1ae1e00ab923a17be44c.jpg

---

See what I mean how the lighting seems completely different? It's hardly noticeable if you haven't seen the other versions, but if you have (and I've played and beaten this game four time over the last 10 years at this point), it's like the Switch version's lighting is completely different and simplified. It is also very noticeable in the shadows, they're a lot softer in the other versions, but on Switch they're almost like black puddles at times. But the easiest way for me to explain it is it seems to make the game run more solidly on Switch, they really simplified the lighting of the game.

This isn't the biggest of deals since it's looks fine and the game was never a looker anyways, just I noticed that something about the characters face lighting and eyes in particular look really creepy on the Switch compared to the other versions.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in getting a physical copy on the Switch now after trying it out on PC after a while, but ultimately had to refund it since it's a dumpster fire of a port. Not even Durante's fix can save such a terrible port. This game is BIZZARE, but in a good way.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
I'm so excited about Deadly Premonition on switch (though bummed about the current audio issues...)and news of the sequel! If you guys need a map I actually recommend the zoomable version on my fansite, Welcome to Greenvale, as it contains more information than my distressed map shown in the original post. (it's also in downloadable jpeg form too!)

I also have a beginner's guide you guys might find useful as well. Usually when people ask me for tips I tell them this:

• First, time limits are not really a thing. You can take your time with no consequences. Miss getting to somewhere before it closes? Don't worry you can just try the next day.
  • There is a fast travel device. You can pick it up in CH2. Do George's side mission within the Sheriff Department, smoke I until it closes, and make sure to pick a flower that appears only when raining asap. Give that flower to George when he is home after 21:00.
  • Cigarettes will move time forward in any amount you wish from more secs to hours as long as you have enough sleep and aren't hungry!
  • You will get a lot of back story when you talk with the town residents. It is worth it to play through the game twice. One to see the main story and one to stalk townspeople and talk with everyone. They will change what they say depending on the weather.
  • I found that the most interesting conversations happened while raining! Also it is worth it to do side missions. You can get great weapons, items, and insights. Completing George's gains you the radio, the game's fast travel.
If anyone has any questions about the game I'm happy to help!

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the biggest of deals since it's looks fine and the game was never a looker anyways, just I noticed that something about the characters face lighting and eyes in particular look really creepy on the Switch compared to the other versions.
I can't stand that they got rid of the green color pass from the 360 version. It makes the game look so much more plain and cheap.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A bit of advice I can impart: think twice about hanging around outside after midnight (it doesn't always end well).

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the lack of color grading in the non-360 versions in that comparison makes them look so much worse, more so than the other differences

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand that they got rid of the green color pass from the 360 version. It makes the game look so much more plain and cheap.

That upset me initially about the Director's Cut version too, but on the flipside I can say a number of scenes in the Director's Cut end up looking better due to remodelling some sequences and doing fancier lighting effects (the opening before pressing start is an easily accessible version of this, you can see differences between the original and the Director's Cut version). However, I think it's a shame the filters were cut down a lot since the original version as I do think they complimented a number of scenes, including this opening bridge scene.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what's changed, but here's a shot by shot comparison to kinda' show what I mean that it looks a bit different/worse:

360:

PS3:

Switch:

---

360:

PS3:

Switch:

---

See what I mean how the lighting seems completely different? It's hardly noticeable if you haven't seen the other versions, but if you have (and I've played and beaten this game four time over the last 10 years at this point), it's like the Switch version's lighting is completely different and simplified. It is also very noticeable in the shadows, they're a lot softer in the other versions, but on Switch they're almost like black puddles at times. But the easiest way for me to explain it is it seems to make the game run more solidly on Switch, they really simplified the lighting of the game.

I see. Looks to be pretty small but interesting

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited about Deadly Premonition on switch (though bummed about the current audio issues...)and news of the sequel! If you guys need a map I actually recommend the zoomable version on my fansite, Welcome to Greenvale, as it contains more information than my distressed map shown in the original post. (it's also in downloadable jpeg form too!)

I also have a beginner's guide you guys might find useful as well. Usually when people ask me for tips I tell them this:

• First, time limits are not really a thing. You can take your time with no consequences. Miss getting to somewhere before it closes? Don't worry you can just try the next day.
  • There is a fast travel device. You can pick it up in CH2. Do George's side mission within the Sheriff Department, smoke I until it closes, and make sure to pick a flower that appears only when raining asap. Give that flower to George when he is home after 21:00.
  • Cigarettes will move time forward in any amount you wish from more secs to hours as long as you have enough sleep and aren't hungry!
  • You will get a lot of back story when you talk with the town residents. It is worth it to play through the game twice. One to see the main story and one to stalk townspeople and talk with everyone. They will change what they say depending on the weather.
  • I found that the most interesting conversations happened while raining! Also it is worth it to do side missions. You can get great weapons, items, and insights. Completing George's gains you the radio, the game's fast travel.

Good post, although I'd like to add that I'd recommend avoiding the fast travel for a first playthrough. I feel that the conversations you have while driving really add to the experience (although, I'm hearing Switch has FPS issues with driving? I guess it's a option if they are too bad)

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
fuck that thing is cool
Yes!

This is good stuff, I'll add a lot of it to the OP when I'm on break. The map especially sounds great.

Though I'm a bit unsure if we should explicitly lay out the rewards for certain sidequests in the OP. Maybe behind a spoiler warning or somethin.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If the audio issue gets patched up as they say they're working on, then this version will get a lot better because it's by far the biggest flaw of this version of the game.

There are still a few things a bit weird about this port but they won't matter to anyone who hasn't played the game before, like the characters look a bit creepier than they do in the other versions, I think the lighting may have been changed a little bit (really dark shadows and the lighting was simplified some I think), but if you don't have a frame of reference to what it originally looked like I don't think you'd notice and it's not that big a deal if everything else is working and I'd say is a good trade-off to making it run well (which the PS3 version shows with its terrible performance).

IF the audio patch for the Switch version gets fixed, I'd put it on par with the 360/PC version, which I'll explain why I have the PC version higher than most below:

PS3 Version: By far the worst version of the game, I'm not a person normally sensitive to frame rate difference, but DP is the most fluctuating FPS I've ever seen in a game, flailing wildly from 60fps to 5 fps. It's terribly optimized, and I think is the worst version of the game as a result. Tough it does have the Director's Cut content, I'd say it's worse than the PC version which I'll get to.

360 version: Still the most technically sound of all the versions, runs pretty well, looks good. Run gets on Xbox One backwards compatibility. The downside is the gameplay fixes present in every other version is not present in the 360 version, namely the game is a LOT harder in this version due to enemy health being a lot higher, weapon durability a lot weaker, things like your default handgun are crap in the original version (got a big buff in later versions), etc. It's also missing the Director's Cut improvements, which some of them are a bit controversial but others, like the new lighting/details to certain area,s are nice.

PC Version: This one is tough to evaluate. The Durante-made PC fix is kinda' a must, but even then it still crashes either occasionally or often depending on your system, there's a memory leak problem so the longer you play the laggier it gets (fixed with a restart though), and the physics of the car and coat actually can be glitched the first time you play, weirdly of all things fixed by launching the game the first time and then restarting your whole computer. Still, I actually had far less problems with this version than many and know it's kinda' a random draw if it works better or worse on your system. If it works fine, I'd say it's the best way to play the Director's Cut version though.

Switch: Assuming they fix the audio bug which is a huge bug for this game to have as music/voice acting is arguably one of the game's stronger points, it visually is the least impressive version but it's only by a bit and the game was never a looker anyway, so whatever. It doesn't have the Director's Cut additions (probably since most of them were pre-rendered videos is my guess, and the house you got and the costumes were neat, but not necessary), but it does have the gameplay changes that came to the Director's Cut version which is arguably the most important feature to carry over. I also personally felt the Director's Cut cutscenes were not the best for a first playthrough anyways as they sorta' break the stories pacing, but were nice to experience after having played the game, so honestly I think you'll get the best out of them by completing this version and then watching the cutscenes added online if it interests you.

Honestly, IF the audio bug gets fixed like I think it will, I'd say the PS3 version stands as the worst and then the rest are tied with different pros and cons.

Shorthand version:

360:
+Best performing
+Fully detailed and everything works as intended
+It has Xbox One backwards compatibility
-Missing gameplay balance fixes of every other version so it's by far the hardest version of the game, sometimes frustratingly so
-Missing the improved lighting/models of the Director's Cut (noticeable in a few scenes)

PS3:
+It has the Director's Cut fixes/balancing/content/lighting & model changes
-It runs like ass, one of the worst performing games I've ever seen.
-No seriously, it runs like assssss

PC:
+It is the best functioning version of the Director's Cut Content
+It has mods and the most content complete version of the game.
-The PC port is shoddy, it needs Durante's fix almost required, a restart of your whole computer to fix physic bugs, and memory leak issues.
-It's crashing performance is a gamble based on your system.

Switch (assuming they fix the nasty audio bug):
+It's the smoothest running version since the 360 port.
+It has the Director's Cut gameplay fixes
+Handheld Deadly Premonition is neat and works.
*Though it's missing the Director's Cut new content, which is in some ways a pro and a con, I don't think that content is best for a first playthrough
-But it does miss out on the added costumes, which some of them are quite neat so a shame.
-It visually is the worst looking version, but not by much and the game was never a looker anyways.
-Big changes and simplifications to lighting and shadows.

But if they can fix the Switch's audio bug like they say they're patching, I'd say it'll make the version on-par with the PC and 360 version, but I'd still say there's no definitive version of DP yet and it's a case of pick what you want the most I suppose.
Completely agree. I've been playing through the switch version and I have no complaints other than the audio issue but the audio issue is a huge problem.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope this patch comes sooner rather than later so I can buy it.

Seen a lot of 'well they need to get it patched before the physical version hits' comments are a cop out. Needs to be patched ASAP, can't be shipping multiple broken games. It's even worse digitally because people can't refund.

Call of Duty

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope this patch comes sooner rather than later so I can buy it.

Seen a lot of 'well they need to get it patched before the physical version hits' comments are a cop out. Needs to be patched ASAP, can't be shipping multiple broken games. It's even worse digitally because people can't refund.

Nintendo refunded me. I had to request a one time exception. I also had to request the funds be returned to my credit card and not my eshop balance.

I did it within 24 hours of purchasing.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo refunded me. I had to request a one time exception. I also had to request the funds be returned to my credit card and not my eshop balance.

I did it within 24 hours of purchasing.
Glad they did. But that's still hoops to jump through. Rather they just patched quickly though, really want to play this again. Can't believe it's been 10 years.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
The wildly fluctuating framerate in the PS3 version will bug those sensitive to it but I really cannot overstate how much fun it is to drive York's car down a mountain and just watch it bounce rapidly from side to side at 100mph. You always get to where you need to go so it's really not a big deal if you ask me, unless the change in frame rate gives you a headache. Otherwise, the balance changes make it the most playable version. Even the 360 version's easy mode makes the enemies' health way too high and combat really, really, really is the absolute worst part of the game.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
So... seeing as Abby's been playing Resident Evil games lately. Is there any chance we could convince her to play through the best one?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Game has the CE up for UK pre-orders

usually hate ordering from them but I need those pins

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

360:

PS3:

Switch:

---

360:

PS3:

Switch:

---

What's up with the 360 version? the colors are horrible. like it has a green tint like in fallout 3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Holy crap, I had no idea cigarettes let you move time forward. I had been sleeping until close to the hour I needed and then just setting down the Switch for a while to go other stuff until it got to where I needed.

Cigarettes are a much better idea.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's worthy of my purchase provided they fix the sound bug. Only have the PS3 version and the slowdown is sometimes gamebreakingly bad.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, we're assuming that the front of the CE box / sleeve will have the same art as the new cover art on the Switch case?

I'm down with that if so, the new art looks pretty good.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
And here I was thinking that GAME were about to shut down?!

Anyway I do wonder why they removed the Director's Cut content from this version? DLC?

Swery just keeps saying the producer decided when people ask him why the new content got removed on twitter. I saw someone say the new cutscenes were prerendered and suggested it might have been done to keep the file size low. I don't know if that's true though.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
Holy crap, I had no idea cigarettes let you move time forward. I had been sleeping until close to the hour I needed and then just setting down the Switch for a while to go other stuff until it got to where I needed.

Cigarettes are a much better idea.

You definitely weren't the only one! So many players I've talked to over the years have been surprised when told about the function of the cigarettes and the radio lol I think this game needs some more tutorials in regards to useful items. I hope the mechanics are better explained in the sequel! :)

Good post, although I'd like to add that I'd recommend avoiding the fast travel for a first playthrough. I feel that the conversations you have while driving really add to the experience (although, I'm hearing Switch has FPS issues with driving? I guess it's a option if they are too bad)

Oh yes of course! ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE DRIVING CONVERSATIONS! They are amazing! Though you can exhaust the things York says while driving pretty quickly in each chapter which is when I start using the radio. I usually try and get it as early as I can so I can get around to talk to various people through out the game easier. There's SO MUCH BACK STORY revealed only during optional conversations with characters and the amount you can find within the game is pretty insane...it's the main reason why I've put so many hours into Deadly Premonition over the years and why it's still one of my all time favorite games.

I also highly recommend using the peeping mechanic in the game. Sure it might feel weird but trust me there are a bunch a cool little scenes you can see when characters are in their homes/work and think they aren't being observed!

In fact...I just made a video that discussing how detailed the game really is and how well it used the activities of the NPCs to hint at some of the big game reveals to players who took the time to really investigate Greenvale just by observing and talking characters (in both rainy and clear weather conditions during most chapters...some chapters like CH12, won't rain since it's story related) through out the game. The video has a bunch of spoilers though so I don't recommend watching unless you've played the game before.

What's kind of funny is that I made this video to try and get others to give the game another look and boom two days later was the switch and sequel announcement. I couldn't believe it!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You definitely weren't the only one! So many players I've talked to over the years have been surprised when told about the function of the cigarettes and the radio lol I think this game needs some more tutorials in regards to useful items. I hope the mechanics are better explained in the sequel! :)

Yeah it would've been nice if the game suggested you take a smoke break while waiting for a specific time or something, that would've been a reasonable hint without being too obtrusive.

On another note, without spoiling anything can anyone tell me if the obvious elephant in the room through the first half of the game (or like first 13 chapters, I have no idea how long it actually is) is ever acknowledged in the story? By that I mean the "other world" segments and the enemies in general? So far it seems very strangely separate from the rest of the game. Just a yes or no answer please.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
On another note, without spoiling anything can anyone tell me if the obvious elephant in the room through the first half of the game (or like first 13 chapters, I have no idea how long it actually is) is ever acknowledged in the story? By that I mean the "other world" segments and the enemies in general? So far it seems very strangely separate from the rest of the game. Just a yes or no answer please.

Unfortunately not :(

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game, but I would recommend folks not playing the Switch port until it gets patch. This game has always been flawed & a bit buggy, but the Switch version is a whole new level.
- Lighting is completely messed up, ruins pretty significant scenes in the game
- Sound issues, the audio is what really makes this game amazing, music & voice acting
- Framerate issues while driving, which is another fun experience since the conversations are so good

It's a major bummer because this port is actively ruining the good parts of Deadly Premonition. I really hope they try to fix it.

Not sure if others are having this issue, but the
, the tailing mission,
in the game cannot be completed on my save. The game goes into an infinite loading screen, at least it's been 10 minutes. I've done the mission twice.

Edit: Got past the mission, maybe multiple closing the game out & restarting the console once worked?

Last edited: