• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
I love this game, but I would recommend folks not playing the Switch port until it gets patch. This game has always been flawed & a bit buggy, but the Switch version is a whole new level.
- Lighting is completely messed up, ruins pretty significant scenes in the game
- Sound issues, the audio is what really makes this game amazing, music & voice acting
- Framerate issues while driving, which is another fun experience since the conversations are so good

Not sure if others are having this issue, but the
, the tailing mission,
in the game cannot be completed on my save. The game goes into an infinite loading screen, at least it's been 10 minutes. I've done the mission twice.

It's a major bummer because this port is actively ruining the good parts of Deadly Premonition. I really hope they try to fix it.

I know one of my friends was able to complete the game on switch...They had that same issue but it was during the hospital segment. I asked what they did and they just said they restarted the game. Have you completely closed the game and restarted? Damn, what a shitty mission to have to repeat over and over :(

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I know one of my friends was able to complete the game on switch...They had that same issue but it was during the hospital segment. I asked what they did and they just said they restarted the game. Have you completely closed the game and restarted? Damn, what a shitty mission to have to repeat over and over :(

I have done that. I'll try that mission again on another in-game day. See if that for some bizarre reason gets around it, but boy is that mission draining to repeat over and over, haha. Thanks for the help!

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
I have done that. I'll try that mission again on another in-game day. See if that for some bizarre reason gets around it, but boy is that mission draining to repeat over and over, haha. Thanks for the help!

I hope it works! Man how disheartening :(

Any official way yet to buy the physical version in Germany?

Nothing for the Standard version yet but the Collector's Edition put out by Numskull Games (who said they are the publisher in Europe) is available at Game so far: https://www.game.co.uk/en/deadly-premonition-origins-collectors-edition-2652974

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately not :(

Ha, very odd then. I guess that means I'm safe to look up theories.

I love this game, but I would recommend folks not playing the Switch port until it gets patch. This game has always been flawed & a bit buggy, but the Switch version is a whole new level.
- Lighting is completely messed up, ruins pretty significant scenes in the game
- Sound issues, the audio is what really makes this game amazing, music & voice acting
- Framerate issues while driving, which is another fun experience since the conversations are so good

Not sure if others are having this issue, but the
, the tailing mission,
in the game cannot be completed on my save. The game goes into an infinite loading screen, at least it's been 10 minutes. I've done the mission twice.

It's a major bummer because this port is actively ruining the good parts of Deadly Premonition. I really hope they try to fix it.

FWIW I did that mission with no issues on Switch. I got an infinite loading screen at another point (I think just leaving the police station randomly one day) but restarting the game fixed it.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it works! Man how disheartening :(
FWIW I did that mission with no issues on Switch. I got an infinite loading screen at another point (I think just leaving the police station randomly one day) but restarting the game fixed it.

Got past it! Not sure, what worked. Restarting the game didn't work. Waiting till another in-game day, also didn't work. Restarting the console did, but it could have also been driving into the mission area with a 2 person car??. I won't worried about it because it could've been anything. I'm just happy it works!

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
What's the word on a patch for this? I'm having dialogue just go silent within the first hour and don't want to continue until it's fixed.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, very odd then. I guess that means I'm safe to look up theories.

Don't look it up. Any theories probably involve a very, very late game twist.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had followed my initial plan of waiting for the patch before buying, I didn't realize just how bad that audio bug was. Restarting fixes the character audio, but it doesn't stay working for long (and car audio just seems broken entirely). Hopefully the patch doesn't take too long.

I can live with the lighting and driving frame rate (though that seems like something they should be able to fix), but the audio just ruins the experience entirely.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had followed my initial plan of waiting for the patch before buying, I didn't realize just how bad that audio bug was. Restarting fixes the character audio, but it doesn't stay working for long (and car audio just seems broken entirely). Hopefully the patch doesn't take too long.

I can live with the lighting and driving frame rate (though that seems like something they should be able to fix), but the audio just ruins the experience entirely.
This is where I'm at. Could handle a shitty port with visual bugs or the driving tanking the frame rate, but having to restart the game constantly and lose progress is not for me. Will wait for the patch. Just checking in eagerly every day hoping for news.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is the third or fourth Switch port in a matter of months I've held off on because of the price. These old, barebones ports are $10-15 too much every time, and it's even worse here in Australia, where this game's $45(!).

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any point on getting this if I have the 360 version sitting somewhere in my office and I have an Xbox One S hooked up to my TV? Is it backwards compatible yet?

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point on getting this if I have the 360 version sitting somewhere in my office and I have an Xbox One S hooked up to my TV? Is it backwards compatible yet?

Play it on Xbox. I think the difficulty complaints aren't as big of a deal as people make them out to be, and it probably the best platform to play on, with PS3 having really poor performance, Switch having the audio issues and PC being randomly broken for some people.

Also eh, I prefer the look of the vanilla game.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
When the graphics bugs are eventually fixed I think the PS3 version will be the best to version play... on a PC using RPCS3. I think the frame rate is better than on actual hardware, and if you cant reach 60fps consistantly it can be locked to 30, which looks fine.

That being said, I'm tempted to pick up the limited edition physical Switch copy for when I eventually get a Switch.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any word on the patch? I was really enjoying the game but stopped due to the audio issues.

Framerate when driving doesn't really bother me. If you go the in car view it's barely noticeable.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a shit game. There are a lot of games I don't like but this is the only one I regret playing. People comparing it to Lynch just made it whole lot worse for me as I wanted something Lynch but got an incompetent video game equivalent of Wiseau instead.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a shit game. There are a lot of games I don't like but this is the only one I regret playing. People comparing it to Lynch just made it whole lot worse for me as I wanted something Lynch but got an incompetent video game equivalent of Wiseau instead.
Lynch does a pretty good impression of that himself. Season 3 of twin peaks is possibly the worst season of any television show ever.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Like Deadly Premonition, it's polarising. Some will say it's the best thing ever made, others will say it's the worst. Give it a watch but IMO if you think it's not for you early on, you probably won't change your mind by the end.
Have yet to watch S3 of Twin Peaks myself, but it would be disappointing if it turned out to be worse than S2 (which was already a mixed bag).

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Have yet to watch S3 of Twin Peaks myself, but it would be disappointing if it turned out to be worse than S2 (which was already a mixed bag).

FWIW, I like but wasn't crazy about O.G. Twin Peaks, and I thought The Return was a (frequently frustrating) masterpiece, with one of the best series finales of all time. It builds on the S2 finale and Fire Walk With Me in remarkable ways.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
You should probably watch it because it's actually incredible.

This man is right. Season 3 is probably Lynch's best work and an absolute masterpiece! Not to mention a million times better than most of Season 2 (that Lynch had little to do with to be fair).

But back on topic. IF they fix the driving framerate and audio bugs, this will easily be the best version outside of putting the effort in to get the PC running at 4k 60fps. But this game doesn't need 4k and 60fps. It just needs a stable framerate over 22fps (I'm looking at you PS3 version) and no game breaking bugs (PC and current Switch version). Or the horrible over the shoulder camera of the first release.

I would still like a PS4/Xbox One version of the DC that runs well though.

One day RPCS3 will give us the version we deserve.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I ran into an infinite loading screen bug after beating (what I assume is) the final boss.

That's annoying as hell, especially considering the QTE section before this has my thumb throbbing with pain.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I've pre ordered the collectors edition from Game UK, something I typically never do, but given this game's litany of issues and anomalies, I figured it was best to.

I have the PC version, but I'm super hyped to own a physical copy on Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game earlier, then watched the Director's Cut scenes on Youtube.

God, what a ride. Definitely my type of game, and now I'm super excited for the sequel.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Lynch does a pretty good impression of that himself. Season 3 of twin peaks is possibly the worst season of any television show ever.
This might be the single worst take I've ever seen on this website. Season 3 might be the best season of television ever produced.

That's a shame, I've not watched it. Had a feeling it wouldn't live up to its legacy.
Don't listen to them, it lives up to the legacy more than I ever anticipated it would. It's deliberate, slow, and doesn't give you all the satisfying answers you probably desire, but it's purposeful and one of the most unique media experiences I've ever had.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the single worst take I've ever seen on this website. Season 3 might be the best season of television ever produced.

Don't listen to them, it lives up to the legacy more than I ever anticipated it would. It's deliberate, slow, and doesn't give you all the satisfying answers you probably desire, but it's purposeful and one of the most unique media experiences I've ever had.
That black and white episode is the most pretentious piece of garbage ever committed to screen.

People love to say there are things left unanswered and theories to certain symbology left to work out, when in fact Lynch just chucks in a load of weird shit for the sake of it and let's people go mad trying to decipher true meaning of it all. It's nonsense.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear you enjoyed it!
Really happy to see that new people are getting to experience this game.

I love trippy mysteries so yeah this was right up my alley. I honestly had never really heard of this before it was announced in the Direct (or rather before it was heavily rumored before the Direct and I decided to look it up). I had heard the name of course but I never knew anything about it.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
That black and white episode is the most pretentious piece of garbage ever committed to screen.

People love to say there are things left unanswered and theories to certain symbology left to work out, when in fact Lynch just chucks in a load of weird shit for the sake of it and let's people go mad trying to decipher true meaning of it all. It's nonsense.
I guess if you found it pretentious, then you just did and I can't change that or how you felt about it. But to me it felt like an extension of a feeling Lynch had where he portrayed it as a perfectly as he could visually onto the screen. It was an emotional display in the purest sense.

You're really minimizing how he "chucks in weird shit for the sake of it", while yes you could reductively say that, if you watch any of his interviews you soon realize he does all of it very deliberately and he works purely based on emotional feeling and the way it resonates with feelings rather than coherence and typically "good" writing styles. It might not mesh with people, but he's very self aware about what he's doing and I'd hardly call any of it pointless or pretentious when it's doing exactly what it's setting out to do.

Pydte

Oct 28, 2017
Copenhagen
Season 3 of Twin Peaks is possibly the best TV ever produced, imho, but I can definitely see why it's not for everyone with its avant garde storytelling, sound and imagery. Some people might call it pretentious, but if you actually go connect the dots you'll realize how extremely intelligent it's been put together, and that it managed to be so coherent with the plot points of earlier seasons to the point where they're given new meaning, is wholly impressive. A masterpiece, don't miss out, but be prepared to do A LOT of thinking of your own.

Mar 29, 2018

We know pretty much for a fact that Lynch and Fisher spend months if not years developing an insanely deep and rich lore/universe for the show - on all seasons.

I'd agree it's reaching a point of total abstraction which almost makes it pointless, but there IS a reason for everything in that season. Including that episode.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We know pretty much for a fact that Lynch and Fisher spend months if not years developing an insanely deep and rich lore/universe for the show - on all seasons.

I'd agree it's reaching a point of total abstraction which almost makes it pointless, but there IS a reason for everything in that season. Including that episode.
Ok, but If there's a reason behind all that abstraction that nobody can work our but you and your buddy because you've spoken about it, is it worthwhile? I'd argue no.

Twin peaks lost its way after season 1 anyway. Right amount of weird in a small setting with a great cast of characters. A simple driving force to the whole thing, ie the murder.

Which is the feeling DP evokes for me and why I want to play it again, to wrap it back round as I've massively derailed this OT.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017

Lynch and Frost, but otherwise agreed.

Ok, but If there's a reason behind all that abstraction that nobody can work our but you and your buddy because you've spoken about it, is it worthwhile? I'd argue no.

Twin peaks lost its way after season 1 anyway. Right amount of weird in a small setting with a great cast of characters. A simple driving force to the whole thing, ie the murder.

Which is the feeling DP evokes for me and why I want to play it again, to wrap it back round as I've massively derailed this OT.

Not a big fan of the surrealists in general I assume?