• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I keep on coming back to this thread hoping to see patch news. You people are killing me.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
You should probably watch it because it's actually incredible.
Like Deadly Premonition, it's polarising. Some will say it's the best thing ever made, others will say it's the worst. Give it a watch but IMO if you think it's not for you early on, you probably won't change your mind by the end.
Have yet to watch S3 of Twin Peaks myself, but it would be disappointing if it turned out to be worse than S2 (which was already a mixed bag).
FWIW, I like but wasn't crazy about O.G. Twin Peaks, and I thought The Return was a (frequently frustrating) masterpiece, with one of the best series finales of all time. It builds on the S2 finale and Fire Walk With Me in remarkable ways.

I think some of it is expectations. If you're going into it expecting or wanting a... well, Return to season 1 (and the first 10-ish episodes of season 2) then you will probably absolutely hate season 3. If you want or are expecting something that builds on the season 2 finale and Fire Walk With Me (though also has a surprising amount of humor sprinkled in) then you stand a much better chance of loving season 3 like I did. At absolute bare minimum, I can promise you that season 3 is of a much more consistent quality than season 2.

As for Deadly Premonition... so I've never played this game but have obviously I've heard a lot about it. I had not seen Twin Peaks when it came out but I've since rectified that. Set the tone for me: Is this like the B movie (unintentional) parody video game version of Twin Peaks? Cause I'm down with that. Is D4 representative of what to expect here (except with really bad controls)? Since prices for 360 & PS3 physical copies have jumped up it seems like the Steam version might be both the best and cheapest way to play the game.
The Switch version seems to be a port of the original 360 version and at least in terms of content the PS3 & PC versions are the same. Has anyone here played the PS3 version with Move controllers? I ask as playing D4 with the Kinect was actually a great way to play the game so if playing this with Move controllers is fun then that might tip me towards the PS3 version.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Twin Peaks S3 is great. It's for sure not for everyone, which is fine. The craftsmanship is definitely there, however. I liked it much more than S2 (S1 is still king for me personally, though).

More on topic: I too am waiting for the patch. I have very low tolerance for jank, but I'm willing to give this game a try once it's more stable. Maybe it'll be on sale by then.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Twin Peaks S3 is great. It's for sure not for everyone, which is fine. The craftsmanship is definitely there, however. I liked it much more than S2 (S1 is still king for me personally, though).
I mostly agree, Season 3 feels experimental and closer to some weird Lynch movie than to the original show, but as S2 was really boring until the last episodes, the change to something more unique was good.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I want the Collector's Edition so badly.

but I want the game for October.

I cry.

Mar 29, 2018
Ok, but If there's a reason behind all that abstraction that nobody can work our but you and your buddy because you've spoken about it, is it worthwhile? I'd argue no.

Twin peaks lost its way after season 1 anyway. Right amount of weird in a small setting with a great cast of characters. A simple driving force to the whole thing, ie the murder.

Which is the feeling DP evokes for me and why I want to play it again, to wrap it back round as I've massively derailed this OT.
I don't disagree on any point. I'm not saying it succeeded at its goal, just saying it's not nonsense.

Note that Lynch always wanted Peaks to evolve away from the murder thing into generally being a weird soap opera about the town. The murder was always only planned as an initial arc to get people into the show.

Anyway, best stop the derail indeed.

Really excited for DP2.

How is Origins?

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As for Deadly Premonition... so I've never played this game but have obviously I've heard a lot about it. I had not seen Twin Peaks when it came out but I've since rectified that. Set the tone for me: Is this like the B movie parody video game version of Twin Peaks? Cause I'm down with that. Is D4 representative of what to expect here (except with really bad controls)? Since prices for 360 & PS3 physical copies have jumped up it seems like the Steam version might be both the best and cheapest way to play the game.
The Switch version seems to be a port of the original 360 version and at least in terms of content the PS3 & PC versions are the same. Has anyone here played the PS3 version with Move controllers? I ask as playing D4 with the Kinect was actually a great way to play the game so if playing this with Move controllers is fun then that might tip me towards the PS3 version.

Just an FYI, the DC content you're referring to isn't very significant. A large portion of people argue the 360 version is superior to the Directors Cut. The added cut scenes are pretty minor.

This is also less parody and more heartfelt loveletter. All Swery games feel like they have a lot of uh, compassion and warmth to them.

I want the Collector's Edition so badly.

but I want the game for October.

I cry.
Yeah, I had to pull the trigger on the CE, but I can't justify buying it twice right now, so I'm going to have to wait till that CE arrives to play it.

Maybe I'll play one of the older versions in the meantime.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

More on topic: I too am waiting for the patch. I have very low tolerance for jank, but I'm willing to give this game a try once it's more stable. Maybe it'll be on sale by then.

Outside of the terrible audio bug, the car controls being absurdly unreliable and the combat sections of a whole I honestly wouldn't say the jank is that bad. A lot of it is just silly music, sound effects, or weird facial animations happening at inappropriate times. The actual story and how the characters interact are excellent IMO.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, but If there's a reason behind all that abstraction that nobody can work our but you and your buddy because you've spoken about it, is it worthwhile? I'd argue no.

Twin peaks lost its way after season 1 anyway. Right amount of weird in a small setting with a great cast of characters. A simple driving force to the whole thing, ie the murder.

Which is the feeling DP evokes for me and why I want to play it again, to wrap it back round as I've massively derailed this OT.

Your problem is that you want the "reason" spelt for you with specific definitive answers. Which is missing the point. It's supposed to work on a deeper level than that, it's not about understanding al the the technical details of the lore. The how, what, and how everything in that world works, it is working to invoke deeper parts of your psyche. Playing off of archetypal desires and fears, deconstructing the human experience into the medium.

The first season did this with the medium of serial detective mystery with a dash of soap opera and the second leaned more on the soap opera with less success. The third season continues this by playing more off of modern genre tropes and black comedy, again deconstructing elements of a variety of modern TV genres while working to subvert your expectations of both Twin Peaks and the genres it is invoking. All as a backdrop for the main goal that Lynch always has, which is to explore the human condition through the invoking of emotions on a subconscious level.

What you are probably looking for, in as far as more concrete answers to what things mean and what the lore is (which I feel misses the point somewhat), go check out the two books Mar Frost put out (Secret History of Twin Peaks and the Final Dossier). They are fantastic in a different way, and serve more of what you are looking for. The very reason Lynch and Frost are so good together is that they perfectly (IMO) bring together the detailed and analytical lore based storytelling and surrealist, abstract, archetypal visual storytelling.

Twin Peaks the Return, is a post modern masterpiece. Which is why I love Swery too, Deadly Premonition nails what both Lynch and Frost bring to the table. Now if he were also to bring in the Kojima level of video game deconstructionism too (and a dev team capable of delivering the same quality of game mechanics). He would probably regarded as an auteur on the same level as Kojima.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded a 1.0.1 patch for this. Don't know what it does or doesn't do yet.

Edit: So far the car now has a siren noise, but still no engine. I will keep playing to see if it has done anything to the cut-outs.

PS - Twin Peaks Season 3 is amazing.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for a sale on this even though I own it on GOG and PS3. Just driving around town listening to York discuss John Hughes movies sounds so much more appealing as a handheld game.

Oct 27, 2017
Driving performance definitely isn't fixed yet. Though I've driven around a bit and the in-car conversations have been present. So looks promising for the audio aspect, engine noise aside.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Just an FYI, the DC content you're referring to isn't very significant. A large portion of people argue the 360 version is superior to the Directors Cut. The added cut scenes are pretty minor.

This is also less parody and more heartfelt loveletter. All Swery games feel like they have a lot of uh, compassion and warmth to them.

Yeah, it seems like the Director's Cut content is pretty universally considered not great though I'm kind of curious why that is. Again though, if the PC version is a good port or is the Move controls add anything to the PS3 versions then those versions are still potentially interesting to me.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Driving performance definitely isn't fixed yet. Though I've driven around a bit and the in-car conversations have been present. So looks promising for the audio aspect, engine noise aside.
If the PC version is anything to go by, this may be as good as it gets. We might get one more patch. I believe we got 2 or 3 for the PC, fixing some sound issues and the broken controller support. Never added resolution support above 720p though I believe.

Yeah, it seems like the Director's Cut content is pretty universally considered not great though I'm kind of curious why that is. Again though, if the PC version is a good port or is the Move controls add anything to the PS3 versions then those versions are still potentially interesting to me.

It's not the extra scenes that make the Directors Cut the vastly superior version, as you state they are not that great or that important and can be watched on YouTube without losing anything. It is the new third person camera that is far more enjoyable than the clunky over the shoulder camera of the 360 version.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I'll toss my chips in and say The Return is the greatest season of television ever made

just like Deadly Premonition is one of the greatest video games ever made

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the single worst take I've ever seen on this website. Season 3 might be the best season of television ever produced.

Don't listen to them, it lives up to the legacy more than I ever anticipated it would. It's deliberate, slow, and doesn't give you all the satisfying answers you probably desire, but it's purposeful and one of the most unique media experiences I've ever had.
On a scale of Lynch's other work where does s3 place? My favourite Lynch works is Inland Empire.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
On a scale of Lynch's other work where does s3 place? My favourite Lynch works is Inland Empire.
It's quite possibly the Lynchiest thing he's ever made. You can tell in S1 and S2 of Twin Peaks that they roped him in and the content was obviously shared between him and Mark Frost being at least somewhat traditional for the most part. S3 feels so so so much more like a Lynch production, it's like an entire season of the most surreal singular episodes from S1 and S2. I haven't seen Inland Empire (I really need to) so unfortunately I can't compare, but if you have seen Fire Walk With Me, it's tonally much more similar to that film than it is regular Twin Peaks.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Twin Peaks is about a teenage girl molested, abused, and murdered by her father explored through many methods. Some understandably confusing as this is unpleasant subject matter people don't like spending time thinking about and even when they do doesn't mean it all makes sense. Season 3 is no exception.

That is all that matters and it is a topic absolutely worthwhile. If you don't like how it explores them that is fine, but the meaningless pretentious bullshit talk ultimately undermines and tries to limit the importance of exploring them and how they are explored.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Playing the PC version for the first time having played it on 360 back in the day — I don't remember the handbrake being this aggressive. Is it an analogue to digital mapping thing? Useful for u-turns I guess...

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Playing the PC version for the first time having played it on 360 back in the day — I don't remember the handbrake being this aggressive. Is it an analogue to digital mapping thing? Useful for u-turns I guess...

The PC version seems to have some problems that are system dependent so I don't know if this happens to everyone, but the car physics appear to be completely broken in the PC version. Cars behave as if they have no weight, and the faster cars are a pain to drive.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The DC versions run like total ass is why. And the additional content is basically pointless.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, probably best to make up your own mind on S3. I think it's one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

Just checking a few opinions on the show, yeah it sounds exactly like my kind of thing. I like Lynch for his version of surrealism not the campy oddity of Twin Peaks even though I liked that as well.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it.
Is there any circumstance you would not want that, or why is it an option?
Also already triggering my "oh gosh I hope I do not miss something in this chapter" thing I always have with such games... is there mus miss-able stuff?

There is a lot of stuff that can't be done after certain chapters but you can always go back and replay any chapter from the main menu.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Seems like it.
Is there any circumstance you would not want that, or why is it an option?
Also already triggering my "oh gosh I hope I do not miss something in this chapter" thing I always have with such games... is there mus miss-able stuff?

There is missable stuff (the sidequests) but you can go back and do those by replaying chapters. Thing is, there's a bug that I think was present on all previous versions that can render the game unwinnable if you replay a chapter at the wrong time.

The bug is this: if you have a save where you are carrying a key or some unique item needed to get in somewhere, and you go back and complete an earlier chapter, the key or item disappears from your inventory and you can't get it back. The obvious incidence of this is in chapter 9: you're given a key to open the back of the A&G Diner and it will disappear if you go back and complete an earlier chapter after you've received that key but before you've used it. Unless things have changed in the Switch version, you can only save in replayed chapters when you've completed them; the phones don't work.

Hopefully that bug's been fixed, but I think it'll be the first version to have fixed it if so. To play it safe, you're best replaying chapters only when your save is right at the beginning of a chapter, or right at the end of the game.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Thanks for the info. But do I understand that right that if I replay earlier chapters it will carry my progress forward to newer chapters? How would that work?

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if you've played anymore, but did you notice audio cutting out in any cut scenes?

It's MUCH better, although it's not 100% perfect. Obviously there is still no engine noise, but there have been no cut outs in the car or in cutscene conversations. I've just finished the 'other side' museum - there has been missing dialogue in one 'profiling' part and also no voice for York's "this is the entrance hall". There was also a strange ticking type of noise running throughout the entire section that I don't think was meant to be there.

Despite the improvement, I'd be disappointed if this patch is the first and last.

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Thanks for the info. But do I understand that right that if I replay earlier chapters it will carry my progress forward to newer chapters? How would that work?

As long as the game is saved after replaying a chapter, any items you've gained, records of completed missions, etc, will be added to your main save as if you'd obtained them earlier in your playthrough. When you replay you also have all the items you have in the main save, not the items that you had at that point in the game.

The source of the key glitch might be that it loads the entire inventory when you replay, removes any game breaking items that you might have for the chapter you're replaying, and then overwrites the inventory without reinstating those items when you save.

Last edited:

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forget about the PS3 version, it's literally unplayable. It runs at sub N64 performance whenever it's raining ( 15 fps and below) and jumps wildly from uneven 30 all the way down into the single digits when anything happens. It's the worst performing last gen game I've tried to play.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Always been curious about DS but i've always hesitated due to the polarizing nature of the game. Shame about the bugs though since the switch is the most accessible version for me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Always been curious about DS but i've always hesitated due to the polarizing nature of the game. Shame about the bugs though since the switch is the most accessible version for me.

It's apparently already been patched and the audio issues are much, much less severe.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the patch doesn't improve performance at all. Is it true that it's worse than the PS3 version?