• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
From this tweet it sounds like this is going to be it as far as patches that fix the audio issues...someone responded with the stuff described above though so hopefully they'll take note

In any case, I was waiting for the really egregious stuff to get fixed before buying and it sounds like it has been so I think I'll go for it. I've seen like thirty seconds of footage from this game but it looks incredible.

To join in the derail briefly, there are times I'm completely sure Twin Peaks: The Return is my favorite piece of media ever, and I think we'd be very lucky to see anything approach it in terms of emotional resonance and aesthetic perfection at that budget and scale in our lifetime. Just about every moment of it creates some sort of feeling or another, and I think you can dig into it as much or as little as you want and still find it very rewarding.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tempted to preorder this, but I've never played this game before. Not sure it's worth that steep price.

Can you appreciate games that have a lot of charm and heart to them, but are also noticeably flawed. If so, and you also dig Twin Peaks, you'll probably love this.

Alternatively, have you played The Missing JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories? It's by the same director and shares some of the same energy as Deadly Premonition.

I guess if you're really on the fence about buying the CE, you could pick it up on Steam for real cheap and screw around for a bit first. Could use the Steam refund system to demo it.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Audio fix is enough for me. Was playing earlier and hit some tearing, slowdown, the weird black eyed York and felt fine playing the game, but the audio is absolutely necessary to enjoy D.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, I'm so slow. So I basically beat the game last night but it didn't dawn on me until right now-

You were Zach the whole time, and everyone knew you as Zach the entire time. It finally hit me when I thought back to early on when everyone was talking about his scar. I initially thought he literally changed into Zach from York and somehow everyone knew he changed. But it's clear now he was always Zach and York was just protecting him the entire time by changing his perception of reality slightly.

Mind blowing game.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Tempted to preorder this, but I've never played this game before. Not sure it's worth that steep price.

Edit: DP, but this one stands on its own.

It's my favorite game of all time. It also plays like shit and I can admit that without caveats. It has quirks, charm, and it treats its own insanity so casually that it basically transports you into this weird fucking dimension Swery created.

It's fucking awful and it's legitimately my favorite game of all time.

If you have a high tolerance for janky shit and like stuff like Twin Peaks, you'll love this game. It's not even just that the story is good, it's that the sidestory and environmental storytelling are top notch too.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Just updated and tried the game and it seems WAY better to me. I'm on Chapter 14 so I don't know if that makes a difference but the frame rate in the car was perfectly acceptable and a vast improvement. Only played like 15 mins but no sound issues. Well no drop outs, still no car sound.

If this holds true for the rest of my play through, this is easily the most playable version we have :)

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Looks the same. But I have not played a lot. To be honest it doesn't look any different from what I remember the PC and PS3 versions looking by default.

Last edited:

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I assume the patch doesn't improve performance at all. Is it true that it's worse than the PS3 version?

Not even close. It is not perfect at all but it is fine. Driving sections are the only problem really and those are so ugly either way that the frame drops doesn't really even matter. They are not that bad. Perfectly playable. (well, the driving controls are very bad but you know what I mean)

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So you don't have to worry about the clock much or what? Can you play through the game without missing much?

Oct 27, 2017
Just updated and tried the game and it seems WAY better to me. I'm on Chapter 14 so I don't know if that makes a difference but the frame rate in the car was perfectly acceptable and a vast improvement. Only played like 15 mins but no sound issues. Well no drop outs, still no car sound.

If this holds true for the rest of my play through, this is easily the most playable version we have :)

Oddly, I'm also on 14 & the framerate seems to have improved somewhat. It's not where I'd like it to be and still chugs in certain town areas, but does appear to be better than it was.

Good news from the VP of Toybox, too - they are working on further improvements:

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
As long as the game is saved after replaying a chapter, any items you've gained, records of completed missions, etc, will be added to your main save as if you'd obtained them earlier in your playthrough. When you replay you also have all the items you have in the main save, not the items that you had at that point in the game.

The source of the key glitch might be that it loads the entire inventory when you replay, removes any game breaking items that you might have for the chapter you're replaying, and then overwrites the inventory without reinstating those items when you save.
That's pretty cool, thanks. I am always in fear of missing out in such games. Already checking every corner and anxious about never ifnishing it, haha.
Is there a way to know if you missed a sidequest? I guess only through guides...

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
That's pretty cool, thanks. I am always in fear of missing out in such games. Already checking every corner and anxious about never ifnishing it, haha.
Is there a way to know if you missed a sidequest? I guess only through guides...

Assuming it's the same as the other versions: Pause the game and go to the map. It should tell you the button to press on the map screen to bring up the list of missions (it was the right shoulder button on the PC pad controls). It will tell you who you have to speak to and during which chapters the mission is available, but you still might need a guide for some of them as they're only available at very specific times of day. Also, the map tells you where people are and will indicate if a mission is currently available from them.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, I've not watched it. Had a feeling it wouldn't live up to its legacy.

Don't listen to that poster. Season 3 of Twin Peaks is arguably one of the most bonkers seasons of television ever made. Episode 8 especially is some once-in-a-lifetime bullshit.

In other news, my roommate just recently got me into twin peaks this year. We would spend evenings just watching a couple episodes at a time, and I'm so glad we did because I get to experience this game now with the knowledge of what it's referencing.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That one episode 8 from TP S3 was quite bonkers for sure.

Good to hear they patched the game and that there are more improvements coming soon. It's definitely on my radar.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have not watched TPS3 yet - which is weird because I adore Twin Peaks so much.
That's why I am already loving the hell out of DP!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
DP actually got me in to Twin Peaks. Either one is a great gateway drug to the other.

Yeah that's where I'm at now. Definitely gonna start Twin Peaks soon.

I remember watching it back in the 90s when I was way too young to really have any idea what was going on. I'm looking forward to figuring out if I will still have no idea of what was going on.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Can I give you some advice. The advice I give everyone who is new to Twin Peaks?

Skip Season 2, Episodes 12-20!!!

Those 8 episodes are bad. Lynch was not involved and the show lost its direction and became a soap opera. Far too many people give up on the show during those episodes. Once you have watched the final episode and Fire Walk With Me. And you are a true Twin Peaks convert, then for sure go watch them. Although you would do just fine to forget they exist and go right into Season 3.

But DO NOT risk the show being spoiled by having to slog through those episodes.

To be honest, Season 2 episode 21 is pretty bad too. But you pretty much have to watch it to prep for the phenomenal final episode. DO NOT skip the movie Fire Walk With Me. And DO NOT watch it before you have finished Season 2. It is a prequel but full of spoilers. Know some people that watched FWWM first and while great on it's own, it really does undermine the show in that order.

Also make sure you have seen Fire Walk With me before watching Season 3, this is even more important than having seen the first 2 seasons! I also HIGHLY recommend watching The Missing Pieces after FWWM, it is an almost movie length collection of scenes that were cut from FWWM and are canon. And brilliant.

Then if you are suitably invested, it's time to read two (secret) books.

First The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. Written by David Lynch's daughter. I highly recommend the audio book of this, it is read by Sheryl Lee and her performance is incredible. In fact the best time to cosume this is right after Season 2 Episode 7.

Then The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost. Which serves as a prequel to Season 3 and bridges some of the gaps and years that have passed. There is an excellent audiobook too, but given that the book is made up of clippings and newspaper articles and the like, it works far better read,

THEN watch Season 3 and enjoy earning every second of how brilliant it is!

After Season 3, you get to wrap everything up with the book The Final Dossier by Mark Frost. Which serves as an epilogue to season 3. Since this is mostly narration from a single character, the audiobook is just as good.

ENJOY! You are in for a real treat!

Note: There are some more books and additional content you could consume. But this is what I consider essential.

EDIT: OK to clean this up into a nice concise list -
  1. Watch Season 1
  2. Watch Season 2 Episodes 1-7
  3. Listen to The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer audiobook
  4. Watch Season 2 Episodes 8-11 (SKIP 12 through 20)
  5. Imagine the title card "One Week Later" right before...
  6. Watching Season 2 Episodes 21-22
  7. Watch Fire Walk With Me (movie)
  8. Watch The Missing Pieces (bonus content from FWWM Bluray)
  9. Read The Secret History of Twin Peaks
  10. Watch Season 3
  11. Read The Final Dossier (or listen to the audiobook)

Last edited:

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
So you don't have to worry about the clock much or what? Can you play through the game without missing much?

Don't worry about the clock. If the game says you have from like 8am to 1pm to do something, you can do whatever you want, and just do it the next day, or the day after at that time. So if you're late and can't start the story event, just kill some time/sleep/smoke cigarettes until it's the next day.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's where I'm at now. Definitely gonna start Twin Peaks soon.

I remember watching it back in the 90s when I was way too young to really have any idea what was going on. I'm looking forward to figuring out if I will still have no idea of what was going on.
be sure to watch the films (fire walk with me, missing pieces) after season 2, and then go to season 3.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Can I give you some advice. The advice I give everyone who is new to Twin Peaks?

Skip Season 2, Episodes 12-20!!!
I finally watched the whole series a couple years ago, and yeah, I had heard for years that the show tanked after they revealed the killer but I was not at all prepared for how bad the show got. And I'd even argue that as early as S2E10, the drop in quality was immediately noticeable. It's like all of a sudden, it wasn't the same show anymore.

My god, the stuff with James and Evelyn...

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
I finally watched the whole series a couple years ago, and yeah, I had heard for years that the show tanked after they revealed the killer but I was not at all prepared for how bad the show got. And I'd even argue that as early as S2E10, the drop in quality was immediately noticeable. It's like all of a sudden, it wasn't the same show anymore.

My god, the stuff with James and Evelyn...

Yeah, I no longer watch those episodes. Even as a hard core fan I can not sit through them anymore. I could rewatch season 1 forever though!

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Since a lot of folks are now experiencing Deadly Premonition and Swery, you might want to check out his other upcoming title, The Good Life. It had a successful Kickstarter campaign last fall and is set to come out spring 2020. Besides Swery the game features Yukio Futatsugi, of Panzer Dragoon fame.

It shares some of the same vibes of Deadly Premonition, it's got an outsider protagonist coming to a small rural (UK) town with a mystery looming over it.
Instead of a federal agent, you play as a journalist & photographer. The other big hook is that the town has one very unique feature. All the inhabitants turn into cats and dogs when the sun goes down.

Here is the (already successfully funded) Kickstarter page. And our thread from during the campaign.

I think it's got a pretty great artstyle too.

The-Good-Life-pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanna say season 2 of Twin Peaks isn't nearly as bad as people say. Sure half of it is terrible but the other half is better than season 1.
And season 3 is heavily flawed, but for me it's mainly because Chrysta Bell completely ruins every single scene she's in. But the finale is one of the greatest things Lynch has ever done. It legit left me in a daze.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I just wanna say season 2 of Twin Peaks isn't nearly as bad as people say. Sure half of it is terrible but the other half is better than season 1.
And season 3 is heavily flawed, but for me it's mainly because Chrysta Bell completely ruins every single scene she's in. But the finale is one of the greatest things Lynch has ever done. It legit left me in a daze.
Yeah that last part can't be understated. I've never felt so zonked just from watching something, I really felt kind of shaken for like two or three full days afterward.
Also fwiw I think Chrysta Bell's acting was pretty much perfect for the show's atmosphere, like every line was so stilted and dreamlike, it really worked for me lol

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Microsoft will allow D4 to be ported to Switch, since Deadly Premonition 2 seems connected to it in some way.

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
As a big fan of Twin Peaks and David Lynch in general I've tried getting into this game but it hasn't clicked with me. It feels like a poor imitation of Twin Peaks rather than a loving homage, with many obvious parallels but lacking in character depth and charm. I hope I like the sequel more.

That's a shame, I've not watched it. Had a feeling it wouldn't live up to its legacy.
Season 3 is weird and experimental like you would expect from Lynch. It lives up to its legacy by refusing to be held back by it. Unlike the X-Files revival, it doesn't waste time trying to recapture past magic and continues from the bizarre situation set up by the final episode of season 2 and the film.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really is high time I play this damn game. Is there an accepted "best" version? I own it on PC, but if the switch port turns out decent, I'll happily pick it up.

Season 3 is weird and experimental like you would expect from Lynch. It lives up to its legacy by refusing to be held back by it. Unlike the X-Files revival, it doesn't waste time trying to recapture past magic and continues from the bizarre situation set up by the final episode of season 2 and the film.

Fuck yeah dude, I loved Season 3. It was exactly what it should have been in nearly every way. If they had recreated the original show, it'd have been a really sad imitation. Going the route they did worked so fucking well.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
It really is high time I play this damn game. Is there an accepted "best" version? I own it on PC, but if the switch port turns out decent, I'll happily pick it up.

Fuck yeah dude, I loved Season 3. It was exactly what it should have been in nearly every way. If they had recreated the original show, it'd have been a really sad imitation. Going the route they did worked so fucking well.

OK here is the breakdown of versions again -

Xbox 360 - Runs great. Has over the shoulder camera that is cumbersome.

PS3 - Runs like crap (~20fps). Has the vastly superior 3rd person camera. "Directors Cut" adds a few cutscenes that add nothing important and can be watched on Youtube after you finish the game. Has extra costumes to wear.

PC - Has the vastly superior camera. Locked at 720p and 30fps "out of the box", fan made patch unlocks better resolutions, 60fps and custom textures. Is prone to crashing and can be difficult to get running with any stability. Also has the Directors Cut extra scenes and extra costumes.

Switch - Has the vastly superior camera controls. Post patch it seems to run OK, but not as well as the 360 version. Does not have the Directors Cut content. Has adjusted enemy difficulty so the enemies are not bullet sponges too.

For now I would have to recommend the Switch version. Sure the framerate is not perfect, but it's pretty good most of the time and in handheld mode drops are far less noticeable. The missing Directors Cut content is not an issue. It's superior to the 360 because of the much better camera and obviously you can take it anywhere. If you have the patience and are willing to save regularly and put up with a few crashes, then the PC version is the best way to play. But it can be far more hassle than it is worth.

Oh and back to Twin peaks for a second. For the record, I loved Chrysta Bell! I think she played Tammy Preston exactly how Lynch wanted and I found her spell binding.

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that last part can't be understated. I've never felt so zonked just from watching something, I really felt kind of shaken for like two or three full days afterward.
Absolutely. For me it felt extra personal too because they wind up in Odessa, Texas which is where I live. I felt lost for a few weeks after I watched it.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
1. Watch Season 1
2. Watch Season 2 Episodes 1-11(SKIP 12 through 20)
3. Watch Season 2 Episodes 21-22
4. Watch Fire Walk With Me (movie)
5. Watch The Missing Pieces (bonus content from FWWM Bluray)
6. Listen to The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer audiobook
7. Read The Secret History of Twin Peaks
8. Watch Season 3
9. Read The Final Dossier (or listen to the audiobook)
Thanks for this. I'm on S2E6 right now and will do what you're suggesting here.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this. I'm on S2E6 right now and will do what you're suggesting here.

You are welcome. I did update it a little as I recall there is a better time to listen to the Secret Diary. And it looks like I am just in time to suggest it to you -
  1. Watch Season 1
  5. Imagine the title card "One Week Later"
  6. Watch Season 2 Episodes 21-22
  10. Watch Season 3

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
You are welcome. I did update it a little as I recall there is a better time to listen to the Secret Diary. And it looks like I am just in time to suggest it to you -
  1. Watch Season 1
  5. Imagine the title card "One Week Later"
  6. Watch Season 2 Episodes 21-22
  10. Watch Season 3
Okay cool. I might be wrong in what episode I'm on exactly honestly. The one I finished last night had Donna finding Laura's diary though.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Since we talk Twin Peaks... started watching S3 finally boy this is horrible. It's just bad.
For 2 Episodes now this is some "okay who in real life would behave and tolerate this" kind of stuff.