• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just me because despite loving and having watched the first season several times over the years, I would always quit early on in season 2.

I do have to ask though, how could Lynch direct one of those episodes and play a character in a few of them as well, but not be involved?

Lynch directed Episode 7 of Season 2. He then left the show creatively to work on Wild at Heart and because he disagreed with revealing who Laura's killer was at that point, he was still physically local and was willing to make a few guest appearances as an actor to play Gordon Cole. BUT, he had nothing to do with Episodes 12-20 as a writer or director. He came back to direct the final episode. Mark Frost did co-write Episode 19 though, the best of the bad episodes.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the Platinum tonight for the PS3 Director's Cut, my fourth Platinum to date.
FUCK KAYSEN. I thought I'd feel a bit better after getting to kill him twice via the Psychic Map C side quest, and while it was at least somewhat cathartic, still feels more like he won in the end after all that happened.
And now I have so many questions ahead of DP2.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just got the Platinum tonight for the PS3 Director's Cut, my fourth Platinum to date.
FUCK KAYSEN. I thought I'd feel a bit better after getting to kill him twice via the Psychic Map C side quest, and while it was at least somewhat cathartic, still feels more like he won in the end after all of that.
And now I have so many questions ahead of DP2.
I kind of disagree.
While it's a shame that Emily dies, I do think it makes more sense for Emily to end up with York (instead of Zach), since most of the interactions that Zach has with various characters in the game are through York's personality. As weird as it sounds, I think Emily ending up with York is a really positive aspect of the ending, even though she had to die in the process. Frankly, I think the saddest part of the ending is when York leaves Zach, as the strongest relationship in the game (in my opinion) is between York and Zach, since York helps Zach through a lot, and York really only exists for that purpose. In that sense, I don't think Kaysen won, because Kaysen's just a servant of the Red Tree, and he's only really the main bad guy within the scope of Zach's story. Zach solved the mystery of his parents' deaths and avenged them and Emily. Things are so much bigger than what happens in Deadly Premonition, though, especially since Willie (who was giving Kaysen orders from the Red Tree) is still alive. What could happen in Deadly Premonition 2 is very open, because Deadly Premonition doesn't really resolve the whole Red Tree thing.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
I accidently got the name of the murderer spoiled... I hope the game is still worth playing? I mean, there has to be more to the story than figuring out who the murderer was... I hope (like with Columbo).

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I accidently got the name of the murderer spoiled... I hope the game is still worth playing? I mean, there has to be more to the story than figuring out who the murderer was... I hope (like with Columbo).

Yeah I would say that's a big part of it for sure, but all of the quirky characters and moments really make it a journey more worthwhile than the destination kind of experience.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It's still worth it

And it's not because I'm a fan, but because there are major revelations along the way besides that. I can even safelly say that the "main villain" reveal is not the biggest reveal of the game by any means.

Stay for the ride

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fuck.. watching supergreatfriend's lets play and he totally doesn't listen to the mission structure. seems like ive missed a lot of side quests and cut scenes just following where they tell me to go.

it's not like there was actually down time or anything to go explore yet tho

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of disagree.
While it's a shame that Emily dies, I do think it makes more sense for Emily to end up with York (instead of Zach), since most of the interactions that Zach has with various characters in the game are through York's personality. As weird as it sounds, I think Emily ending up with York is a really positive aspect of the ending, even though she had to die in the process. Frankly, I think the saddest part of the ending is when York leaves Zach, as the strongest relationship in the game (in my opinion) is between York and Zach, since York helps Zach through a lot, and York really only exists for that purpose. In that sense, I don't think Kaysen won, because Kaysen's just a servant of the Red Tree, and he's only really the main bad guy within the scope of Zach's story. Zach solved the mystery of his parents' deaths and avenged them and Emily. Things are so much bigger than what happens in Deadly Premonition, though, especially since Willie (who was giving Kaysen orders from the Red Tree) is still alive. What could happen in Deadly Premonition 2 is very open, because Deadly Premonition doesn't really resolve the whole Red Tree thing.
I managed to completely miss
them pulling a "the dog was the mastermind" with Willie issuing orders from the Red Tree.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I managed to completely miss
them pulling a "the dog was the mastermind" with Willie issuing orders from the Red Tree.

It's something that Swery confirmed in an interview after the game released, it's normal to miss it since it's not in the game at all.

It kinda gets foreshadowed

in the final cutscene, when Willie shows up with the little Kaysen doll

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
How is this compared to other versions of the game? I ask because I might get the physical copy once that I'm in Europe in a couple of months.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder when the second patch will hit, i want to play the game but i'm waiting for that.

How is this compared to other versions of the game? I ask because I might get the physical copy once that I'm in Europe in a couple of months.
based on what i've read here:
360 version: still the best
ps3 version: pretty rough
pc version: super rough, game breaking bugs, kinda fixable with mods
switch version: best one after 360

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I think the map in this game is visually incredible (street name labels, etc.... seriously amazing stuff) but my goodness would it be so much easier to learn the way around town if the pause-menu map (and even the minimap too) wouldn't rotate to the direction you're facing. The tiny north arrow doesn't help much and it's not like you can even contextualize the direction you're facing when you have the game paused lol.

Seriously loving this game so far though, like a lot more than I expected to. It has such a reputation of being a 'laughably bad' broken mess, and while it definitely is quite janky (and very charmingly so), I feel like how much amazing stuff this game does doesn't really get talked about. It's really engaging almost the entire time (the horror sections are generally an exception, although the split-camera stuff in the lumber mill was insane and incredible) and has a lot of genuinely cool and unconventional systems going for it. It's almost overwhelming how many small, weird details or moments and just general bits of design have stood out to me as legitimately fascinating and neat.
I did have at least one detail of the story spoiled for me from someone's speculation on the trailer for the sequel, and I'm not sure how consequential that detail will turn out to be, but I'm psyched to see how things play out regardless.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
guys, do you think the physical print will be limited? i want to import it, but i'm not sure if i should pre-order or i can do it after it's released.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
guys, do you think the physical print will be limited? i want to import it, but i'm not sure if i should pre-order or i can do it after it's released.

fwiw there are only two retailers selling it in the UK, and I think GAME aren't going to sell it instore, so I imagine the EU one is quite limited.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So can I miss things in the game or can I just go with the flow and not worry too much?

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So can I miss things in the game or can I just go with the flow and not worry too much?

Side quests are Chapter specific. But don't worry when people say "get here at this time" to continue the story bc the game doesn't force you most of the time. (I think it does once or twice)

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Okay I have a feeling this can't be answered without spoilers but if it can: what the hell is the deal with the house that shows up as a pink rectangle on the map that when you approach either of the doors the screen cuts to black and pushes you back a few feet???

This is the biggest mystery in the game for me...... I imagine it's just a location that becomes important later that they don't want you to enter yet (the doors are even glowing the way interactable objects do...) but it seems like such a bizarre way to handle it lol

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I have a feeling this can't be answered without spoilers but if it can: what the hell is the deal with the house that shows up as a pink rectangle on the map that when you approach either of the doors the screen cuts to black and pushes you back a few feet???

This is the biggest mystery in the game for me...... I imagine it's just a location that becomes important later that they don't want you to enter yet (the doors are even glowing the way interactable objects do...) but it seems like such a bizarre way to handle it lol
That's just the DLC house in the director's cut, which just gives you an extra place to sleep/change/shave/manage equipment.

MarkRJR

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any consensus on which version of Deadly Premonition is the best?

I own all of the platforms it's released on and was curious which to play it on. I already own the Xbox 360 version and was gifted the PS3 version but never got around to playing them.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
So is there any consensus on which version of Deadly Premonition is the best?

I own all of the platforms it's released on and was curious which to play it on. I already own the Xbox 360 version and was gifted the PS3 version but never got around to playing them.

Unfortunately it's not cut and dry. I think the Switch version is probably best. But here is the breakdown of each version, benefits and drawbacks -

360 - Stable 30fps and least crashes. BUT horrible over the shoulder camera and map while driving can't zoom out like other versions. If you like the camera (you must be mad but) and can live without the improved driving map, this is the best version.

PS3 - Superior camera and map. Is the "Directors Cut" so has extra scenes and content (none of which is very important). BUT horrible frame rate (20-25fps). One day a good PS3 emulator will make this run at a stable 4k/60fps and it will be the best version. For now it is the worst.

PC - Superior camera and map, and perfect 30fps. Includes Directors Cut content. With fan mod it can run at 4K, 60fps with superior textures and shadows. BUT "out of the box" it runs at 720p and installing the mod and getting the game to work can be a pain, and it can crash sometimes. If you can deal with the hassles, by far the best version.

SWITCH - Superior camera and map, and much more stable frame rate than the PS3 version. BUT doesn't have all the Director Cut content (not important), frame rate can be poor at times, especially when driving and has been known to crash sometimes (but far less often than the PC version).

Since the PC version can be a pain in the ass, I would recommend the Switch version to most people. It is the best balance of ease of use, improved content and only a few issues.

Last edited:

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Where the issues patched or do we know something? I want to jump back but I heard about the audio and I waited

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I just got an optional scene and it fucking killed me. Before the town meeting, I stopped by the sheriff station to do some stuff. Thomas offered to make lunch, and York's hunger was up, so I went for it. I suddenly got a cutscene that must be missable because it mentions the upcoming town meeting. York being York, he suddenly goes off on a tangent about some classic film. He describes how the town meeting is like some alien movie. He says it used meat sauce for the special effect to make people's heads explode.

Emily: "York! Some of us are trying to eat here!"
York: "I know, Emily. I'm one of them."

It was the line delivery. It completely made the scene for me. This fucking game.

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
According to the deadlypremonition subreddit, a new patch 1.02 for the Switch version has been release that fixes car sounds and some performance issues. Haven't been able to test it myself yet though ...

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm curious if it also fixed the crashes, that's what I'm waiting for. (Well, that, and finishing DQXI first.)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from reddit
Hey I just downloaded the new patch for Switch. Engine sounds are now restored to the vehicles but it's really quiet in third person mode. It's more audible if you do the first person mode while driving.

Also performance has been dramatically improved while driving in town. I'm not getting 10 FPS slide shows anymore.

Also car handling and acceleration has now been fixed as well.
Can confirm acceleration is fixed. Steering is less wonky, until you get to high speeds. I flipped my car twice in a row trying to make a u-turn. This is much more like it should be. This is definitely the version to get now for sure.
Lol yea! I flipped my car during a race side quest but managed to land up right. I don't think I even managed to do that on Xbox 360! Also I'm noticing that FPS in indoor areas is pretty much at 60 now.

sounds good. can't wait for the physical release.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Just played and beat it for the first time on PC, but man having to worry about it crashing every 30 mins or so was a real pain. Because of that felt I just needed to rush through the main story and not do a lot of the side quests. Still, adored the game and will pick it up on Switch when the physical release comes out. Hope that becomes a definitive version if they continue to patch it. That new patch sounds good.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I just got an optional scene and it fucking killed me. Before the town meeting, I stopped by the sheriff station to do some stuff. Thomas offered to make lunch, and York's hunger was up, so I went for it. I suddenly got a cutscene that must be missable because it mentions the upcoming town meeting. York being York, he suddenly goes off on a tangent about some classic film. He describes how the town meeting is like some alien movie. He says it used meat sauce for the special effect to make people's heads explode.

It was the line delivery. It completely made the scene for me. This fucking game.
It is missable, I actually only found out about these cutscenes in my most recent playthrough.

Basically in every chapter of the game OUTSIDE of the first few and the last few chapters (and chapters you can't access the sheriff's station), around noon of each day you can go to the sheriff's station to find Thomas and trigger a special cutscene event (the lunch is available every day, but the cutscene will only play the first time in each chapter you do it). It fill your hunger completely, but obviously the real reward are the cutscenes, which just seeing York, Emily, George, and Thomas interact over lunch each day, there's some really fun cutscenes in the batch.

There's other pretty easily missable cutscenes and optional story content throughout the game like that, it's actually surprising how many there are within the game.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018

My favorite screenshot I got from one of the lunch scenes:

QlaNvbH.png

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Finally jumped in with the new patch, but it's still not crash free. Had 2 so far but at least they were hours apart. Don't know how frequently they appeared before the patch.

Edit: Make that 4 crashes lol.

Also, can't say how the driving performance was on Switch prior to the latest patch, but while it's pretty terrible in the two "city hubs" (Meaning, the one populated area with the diner and police station and the other populated area with the supermarket and gas station) outside of these areas you actually get around 60 fps while driving.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
So what's the verdict on this version? Is this the "best" way to play? I never had issues with the PC port so I'm mostly curious what the changes actually are like and if this is the "definitive" version, since I've really been wanting to replay this recently.

Thanks!

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Finished the game today, 5 crashes overall, that's not too bad for this game tbh. Other than that, this is probably as decent a port as you're gonna get. Outside of the more populated areas the framerate is actually pretty good, at least with the latest patches.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I just started this.

I was expecting the game to be rather odd, but it has gone above and beyond my expectations almost immediately.

Why would the FBI hire someone who talks to themselves, really?

York is damn weirdo.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Did the game get delayed? I see December 12th release date on my order now.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
managed to finish it the other night! only ended up having one crash honestly

i do have a few questions tho
why didnt kaysen just kidnap emily when she was alone following him and willie? was kaysens goal to put a tree in her or was it to fuck with york and zach more

so what is the reason for the existance of the other world? they mentioned the towns people going insane from the gas but not them being reanimated

how did emily not see george go into the lumbermill to chase york as the raincoat killer or not ask york or kaysen about the zombies? are these just little plotholes im nitpicking or did i actually miss stuff

either way this game is siiiiiick im so glad i got to expirience it! definitely janky but that doesnt really matter to me lol

super excited for dp2!!!

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
managed to finish it the other night! only ended up having one crash honestly

i do have a few questions tho
why didnt kaysen just kidnap emily when she was alone following him and willie? was kaysens goal to put a tree in her or was it to fuck with york and zach more

so what is the reason for the existance of the other world? they mentioned the towns people going insane from the gas but not them being reanimated

how did emily not see george go into the lumbermill to chase york as the raincoat killer or not ask york or kaysen about the zombies? are these just little plotholes im nitpicking or did i actually miss stuff

either way this game is siiiiiick im so glad i got to expirience it! definitely janky but that doesnt really matter to me lol

super excited for dp2!!!

Some answers and thoughts to big spoilers about the game's story and ending:

Kaysen is shown to be a villain who liked to play around with his victims, such as Diane at the art gallery being a prime example or how he handled things with George. He seems to like the idea of people trusting him and getting off to building that trust then betraying it, and putting people in helpless situations. There's evidence through the game Kaysen has done this hundreds of times through the United States and travels from place to place to check up on the people he's screwing with and how they're doing. I'm under the impression Kaysen doesn't even specifically need the tree from Emily, Greenvale has plenty of red trees, he just saw an opportunity for him to have some fun and spread for suffering, while also being able to get more trees out of it. I think of Kaysen a bit as an embodiment of a Gluttony sin, he eats and does sexual things but never has his fill (he even says this in the game), so he wants to get as much as he can out of a single person before disposing of them.

Now this isn't explicitly said in Deadly Premonition, but in Swery's game before Deadly Premonition, "Spy Fiction" for the PS2, there's this scientist named Forrest Kaysen:

1366346-kaysensf.jpg

There was this purple gas stuff in Spy Fiction very briefly, ultimately what I think the implication is (but this is very broad) is a military organization was doing some experimenting with a purple gas which turned everyone in the town violent and seeped into the ground, purging up when it's raining. I feel more answers may possibly be given in the sequel as a prequel/sequel, but I'm taking it that the purple gas seeping into the ground and red trees being grown here and special are connected. The red tree seeds give an otherworld power to George, and of course we see the purple gas and the red trees all over in the otherworld. I have some theories deeper than this, but honestly I don't think there's any concrete answers for now why the Otherworld exist. We just know the Military 50 years ago with Forrest Kaysen's influence let a purple gas over Greenvale that made people violent, the gas seeped into the ground and it comes forth when it's raining, the gas and the Red Trees are connected, and the Otherworld is related to the Gas and the Red Tree.

I think the actual reason Emily doesn't see George go out is just an oversight, but I can offer one potential excuse. Whenever you're in the Otherworld time freezes (or rather, goes crazy) and it's definitely implied it's not on our plain of existence. I'm kinda' under the impression you only begin to be aware of when the Otherworld hits if you get too exposed to it. York begins the game going outside in the rain, which as we learn the locals don't due to superstition. Emily is cooking and doesn't go outside ever in the rain whenever it does as we know from her questline. George obviously was going outside in the rain as we some others. I think when the world "transitions" the real world clock pauses and those who are in too deep begin to see the Otherworld. There's a few cases people disappear when the Otherworld happens, but I think the likes of Emily and such begin to get more exposure to it as the game goes on. There's even a plot point about the difference between mild and overt purple gas exposure when it comes out of the ground when it's raining.

So this answer is a bit me trying to put some stuff together and not official, but I think how it might work is that people only see the Otherworld when they've taken in a certain amount of Purple Gas and gotten closer to the Red Trees. Like when the Hospital goes to the Otherworld I don't think most there see it, I think only York, George and maybe Thomas enter it then. Emily gets more exposure to the rain outside the museum when Diane is killed and right before she meets the entities she is close to Kaysen and his Red Tree, plus the seeds from the case, so maybe she just finally has been exposed enough to it she becomes susceptible.

Of course, there's a flaw with this theory. There's not a clear definition of what leads some people to go mad, and what leads other people to just be in the Otherworld. York, Emily, Thomas and George all seem to enter the Otherworld as themselves, but then we see the Towns people towards the end turn murderous. Now if you stay too long there, York also has a unique death scene where he turns murderous, but it's not really clearly defined what determines if you enter the Otherworld or not. My only guess is it's something to do with a combination of purple gas+red seed exposure based on who goes there within the game and when they do.

I think to everyone else not in the Otherworld though, time is kinda' stopped which is how George could've entered without Emily noticing once the Otherworld kicked into gear.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some answers and thoughts to big spoilers about the game's story and ending:

Kaysen is shown to be a villain who liked to play around with his victims, such as Diane at the art gallery being a prime example or how he handled things with George. He seems to like the idea of people trusting him and getting off to building that trust then betraying it, and putting people in helpless situations. There's evidence through the game Kaysen has done this hundreds of times through the United States and travels from place to place to check up on the people he's screwing with and how they're doing. I'm under the impression Kaysen doesn't even specifically need the tree from Emily, Greenvale has plenty of red trees, he just saw an opportunity for him to have some fun and spread for suffering, while also being able to get more trees out of it. I think of Kaysen a bit as an embodiment of a Gluttony sin, he eats and does sexual things but never has his fill (he even says this in the game), so he wants to get as much as he can out of a single person before disposing of them.

Now this isn't explicitly said in Deadly Premonition, but in Swery's game before Deadly Premonition, "Spy Fiction" for the PS2, there's this scientist named Forrest Kaysen:

1366346-kaysensf.jpg

There was this purple gas stuff in Spy Fiction very briefly, ultimately what I think the implication is (but this is very broad) is a military organization was doing some experimenting with a purple gas which turned everyone in the town violent and seeped into the ground, purging up when it's raining. I feel more answers may possibly be given in the sequel as a prequel/sequel, but I'm taking it that the purple gas seeping into the ground and red trees being grown here and special are connected. The red tree seeds give an otherworld power to George, and of course we see the purple gas and the red trees all over in the otherworld. I have some theories deeper than this, but honestly I don't think there's any concrete answers for now why the Otherworld exist. We just know the Military 50 years ago with Forrest Kaysen's influence let a purple gas over Greenvale that made people violent, the gas seeped into the ground and it comes forth when it's raining, the gas and the Red Trees are connected, and the Otherworld is related to the Gas and the Red Tree.

I think the actual reason Emily doesn't see George go out is just an oversight, but I can offer one potential excuse. Whenever you're in the Otherworld time freezes (or rather, goes crazy) and it's definitely implied it's not on our plain of existence. I'm kinda' under the impression you only begin to be aware of when the Otherworld hits if you get too exposed to it. York begins the game going outside in the rain, which as we learn the locals don't due to superstition. Emily is cooking and doesn't go outside ever in the rain whenever it does as we know from her questline. George obviously was going outside in the rain as we some others. I think when the world "transitions" the real world clock pauses and those who are in too deep begin to see the Otherworld. There's a few cases people disappear when the Otherworld happens, but I think the likes of Emily and such begin to get more exposure to it as the game goes on. There's even a plot point about the difference between mild and overt purple gas exposure when it comes out of the ground when it's raining.

So this answer is a bit me trying to put some stuff together and not official, but I think how it might work is that people only see the Otherworld when they've taken in a certain amount of Purple Gas and gotten closer to the Red Trees. Like when the Hospital goes to the Otherworld I don't think most there see it, I think only York, George and maybe Thomas enter it then. Emily gets more exposure to the rain outside the museum when Diane is killed and right before she meets the entities she is close to Kaysen and his Red Tree, plus the seeds from the case, so maybe she just finally has been exposed enough to it she becomes susceptible.

Of course, there's a flaw with this theory. There's not a clear definition of what leads some people to go mad, and what leads other people to just be in the Otherworld. York, Emily, Thomas and George all seem to enter the Otherworld as themselves, but then we see the Towns people towards the end turn murderous. Now if you stay too long there, York also has a unique death scene where he turns murderous, but it's not really clearly defined what determines if you enter the Otherworld or not. My only guess is it's something to do with a combination of purple gas+red seed exposure based on who goes there within the game and when they do.

I think to everyone else not in the Otherworld though, time is kinda' stopped which is how George could've entered without Emily noticing once the Otherworld kicked into gear.

ohhh thats real cool! do you recommend spy fiction? i was kinda interested in d4 but i heard it was sadly never completed

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hurry up and post my Collectors GAME, it's out in 2 days!!