• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

I'll be the first to admit that firing Tim Miller from Deadpool's sequel was a fucking HUGE mistake. He was a big part of what made the first Deadpool film amazing, as much as Ryan Reynolds stellar performance. With that said, David Leitch (John Wick, Captain America: Civil War second unit director) is no hack. We are living in an age of social media and it's very easy to claim "I have sources" and spread rumors about films for whatever reason.

The truth is, Collider's Steven Weintraub is someone extremely well connected in Hollywood and for every time that someone claims that he was wrong about Mad Max: Fury Road testing bad one year prior to that film release, he has an excellent track record with scoops and with actual real sources when it comes to advance screenings. Steven "Frosty" Weintraub had already tweeted about this yesterday, but today him and Jon Schnepp went in depth about this today in the video above.

Trying to influence the narrative of how a film/game/whatever is shaping up is something that many try way too often, and I feel like even though we are getting more and more savvy about this, it's important to not judge a film before it's an actual final product. Regardless, here's what Collider is saying about the (debunked) test screening rumors:

The Deadpool 2 rumor mill has been swirling over the last couple of days, and we're here to set the record straight. Reports surfaced yesterday that initial test screenings for the Deadpool sequel went poorly, and that reshoots had been ordered by 20th Century Fox to try and fix some of these issues. According to our sources, this is false.

We're hearing that the first Deadpool 2 test screening was in January, when the film tested around 90 or 91 out of 100. The studio then had another test screening after more editing had been completed, at which point the film tested in the high 90s. However, while both test screenings went well, our sources tell us that crowds in both screenings had the same "complaint": They wanted to see more of both Zazie Beets' character Domino and Josh Brolin's character Cable.

Reshoots, or additional photography, have become a normal part of the moviemaking process, especially when it comes to blockbusters. So when the Deadpool 2 reshoots rolled around recently, they specifically focused on adding more scenes with Domino and Cable to address this note that came up quite a bit during the film's test screenings.

So yeah, according to our sources Deadpool 2 did not test poorly, and reshoots were not ordered to fix the movie. They're simply adding more scenes of two new characters given how well test audiences responded to them in the first place.

We still don't know too much about the story of Deadpool 2, but Atomic Blondedirector David Leitch is behind the camera and Deadpool writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick reprised their roles on the follow-up to bring the sequel to fruition. Indeed, Fox was so bullish on the film that they moved its release date up from June 1st to May 18th, putting it in the line of fire in between Disney's Avengers: Infinity War and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

We'll find out for sure how well the film stacks up then, but for now our sources tell us these test screening rumors are far from the truth.

Source: http://collider.com/deadpool-2-reshoots-details/

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a fair amount of this movie... and it looks aces.

A real step up from the first in scope and ideas.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Weintraub shills everything though. I can't recall the last time he disliked a movie.

Eric Peng

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I remember when he leached off Campea the news that Jake Gyllenhaal may be replacing Ben Affleck as Batman. Campea stated this is a rumor he heard and it may not be true. Then Collider uploaded a video with Frosty saying that Collider was the one to break it.

Here is the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_n_M-Ex_1s

It was originally titled something along the lines of exclusive news or first scoop as if he got it first.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
As a guy who understands how and why the gravy is made a certain way it's interesting to see what little information the internet takes and runs with

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Weintraub shills everything though. I can't recall the last time he disliked a movie.
Actually that's false. Weintraub never "shilled" to trainwrecks like BvS, JL and other rotten films. I have respect for those trying to break into the scoop game because I was sort of part of this as well, but ManaByte is in no way, shape or form more reliable as a source than Weintraub. I mean:

And this isn't a personal jab/attack to ManaByte. It's just that when it comes to "advance screenings" / "test screenings" accuracy, his track record isn't nowhere near as good as those that actually are working in trades or even fan sites like Collider.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
On one hand, it's definitely possible that the insider was injecting his own bias into the film screening. On the other hand, this is Collider, the group everyone makes fun of for "nerd culture". We'll just have to see. I WANT this movie to be good.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weintraub hypes.....EVERYTHING. This means jack shit let's be honest.

Manabytes about a billion times more realiable than this hack when it comes to this stuff.

I mean we have major spoilers for the film from Mana, if they are in the film we know who was right on the money here.

Weintraub is a studio shill and will do anything to keep studios happy for his access to press events, period. He has a long long history of this.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
As a guy who understands how and why the gravy is made a certain way it's interesting to see what little information the internet takes and runs with

I think it's irresponsible to spread rumors like this. It's unfair to people that work in the business like you, it's unfair with creators. I don't give a fuck about Fox or even Disney, but literally someone gave her fucking life while making this film. I'm glad to know that Domino and Cable are getting praised because I'm very much looking forward to X-Force as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Weintraub hypes.....EVERYTHING. This means jack shit let's be honest.

Manabytes about a billion times more realiable than this hack when it comes to this stuff.

I mean we have major spoilers for the film from Mana, if they are in the film we know who was right on the money here.

Yup. ManaByte isn't always right, but I trust him on this one.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Geek hypeman wants you to know big upcoming geek movie is worth getting hyped for.

You guys are aware that this "rumor" was started by ManaByte and that he was saying that Justice League wasn't terrible and that he was proven correct one week before that film's release... right? So basically, we are trusting someone with a track record like that over Weintraub? Alrighty then.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's irresponsible to spread rumors like this. It's unfair to people that work in the business like you, it's unfair with creators. I don't give a fuck about Fox or even Disney, but literally someone gave her fucking life while making this film. I'm glad to know that Domino and Cable are getting praised because I'm very much looking forward to X-Force as well.

Oh I agree with you

Unfortunately though we don't live in that world where we think of the creators or the people involved in the process

It's a cycle of clickbait and confirmation bias nowadays and it's a damn shame

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I will say this seems like a game of telephone with a hint of confirmation bias.

Like essentially, neither has to be wrong for the other to be right.

Could be some test-screenings it done well in and others where it was a mixed bag. And people will take whichever better fits their views on a comedy sequel and run with it.

Bright side, we'll find out in just 2 months

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone dying on set doesn't change the fact the last test screening was a disaster, per actually connected people who would know.

Weintraub is a complete joke, and is mocked endlessly for being a studio shill.

Manabyte was attacked for his JL leaks....he was dead on. He was mocked for his TLJ leaks...he was dead on. We got major spoilers from the film from him on this. We we will know who was right in short time.

PS it isn't going to be Weintraub NO ONE respects him, he will do anything to make studios happy. Everyone knows this.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I follow Weintraub on Twitter, dude likes everything.

Also, Schnepp .. lol. I still remember all of his terrible scoops when I used to watch Heroes on a weekly basis. New Gods by George Miller is still coming I'm sure!

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't conclusive at all, this just further muddies the waters.

I do hope the rumours aren't true though.

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are aware that this "rumor" was started by ManaByte and that he was saying that Justice League wasn't terrible and that he was proven correct one week before that film's release... right? So basically, we are trusting someone with a track record like that over Weintraub? Alrighty then.

You're referring to the same ManaByte that was right about that film's length and the presence of a post-credits scene. Test screening results don't always match up with what mass audiences or critics will think of the film.

So yeah, I'll trust him over the likes of someone who basically plagiarized a former co-worker's story without citing the original source.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The movie might even be good in actuality, but either way Frosty is going to tweet something like "Saw Deadpool 2 last night! Amazing work by David Leitch. I won't spoil it, but I think fans are going to love it."

Because that's just what Frosty does.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a coward. He's on my ignore list and I'm aware that I'm on his. I respect his drive to work in the business, but the thing is that we are allowing a rumor to start over baseless information. There's a reason why we don't believe in rumors started in reddit / twitter / whatever.
It was a joke mostly. Who even says "coward"

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You're referring to the same ManaByte that was right about that film's length and the presence of a post-credits scene. Test screening results don't always match up with what mass audiences or critics will think of the film.

So yeah, I'll trust him over the likes of someone who basically plagiarized a former co-worker's story without citing the original source.

I gave the receipts that we at BoxOfficeTheory were aware of Justice League's running time DAYS before ManaByte posted anything. I won't bother looking it up again, but I've proved that before. BOT's EmpireCity claimed on a public forum the running time of Justice League. After that, ManaByte started claiming that as a scoop.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a coward. He's on my ignore list and I'm aware that I'm on his. I respect his drive to work in the business, but the thing is that we are allowing a rumor to start over baseless information. There's a reason why we don't believe in rumors started in reddit / twitter / whatever.
You calling it baseless doesn't make it baseless.

Manabyte has sources and they have provided accurate info time and time again.

We have very explicit plot spoilers from that film thanks to him. You will know soon enough whether he is right.

You don't need to make a thread with a video from a internet joke who no one respects to try and weirdly bring him down.

Weintraub sucks up to the studios for access. That is what is does. He isn't a realiable source on this stuff. At all. He is seen as a complete joke and made fun kf in film journilism for a reason.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The truth is, Collider's Steven Weintraub is someone extremely well connected in Hollywood and for every time that someone claims that he was wrong about Mad Max: Fury Road testing bad one year prior to that film release, he has an excellent track record with scoops and with actual real sources when it comes to advance screenings
Absolutely shocking, no one should have believed that flimsy shit in the first place.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
This drama over test screenings.

Rotten Tomatoes is clearly behind the times.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave the receipts that we at BoxOfficeTheory were aware of Justice League's running time DAYS before ManaByte posted anything. I won't bother looking it up again, but I've proved that before. BOT's EmpireCity claimed on a public forum the running time of Justice League. After that, ManaByte started claiming that as a scoop.
ManaByte got the exact details for the TLJ plot himself esrly from an exclusive screening he attended at the Disney lot.

An event he posted pictures of himself at the exclusive Disney lot screening on social media dude.

Stop attacking someone as well sourced as him, it is just weird.

Oct 25, 2017

Okay, and? Like Cheebo said, ManaByte's proven himself to be reliable in other instances too.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Manabyte is a lier?
Nope. Manabyte has proven himself right time and time again. He is verified on Twitter for a reason due to his history of leaks.

No one trusts Weintraub from Collider. Literally no one. His entire career is sucking up to studios for access. He hypes up literally everything due to this.

Zatt you didn't need to make this thread. It's just petty. We have direct exact spoilers from ManaByte. You can mock him then (or most likely due to his accurate history) apologize to him then.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Okay, and? Like Cheebo said, ManaByte's proven himself to be reliable in other instances too.

My point is that claiming he "had the scoop on Justice League's running time" isn't accurate if that info was released on a public forum way before he posted about it. I'm not saying that I disrespect the guy, I'm saying that he's most often than not inaccurate about this, and I won't turn this on a "ManaByte's got it wrong" thread, so please let's stop derailing the thread. This is about the info that Collider, an actual credible news source with an arguably good track record is bringing about the film.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point is that claiming he "had the scoop on Justice League's running time" isn't accurate if that info was released in a public forum way before he posted about it. I'm not saying that I disrespect the guy, I'm saying that he's most often than not inaccurate about this, and I won't turn this on a "ManaByte's got it wrong" thread, so please let's stop derailing the thread. This is about the info that Collider, an actual credible news source with an arguably good track record is bringing about the film.
Nobody calls Collider credible for leaks.

No one. They are a laughing stock who hype everything and are studio shills.

It's collider who that half in the bag video was making fun of.

And I know you are smart enough to know that.

And you don't acknowledge the fact ManaByte got the exact plot of TLJ right and posted pictures of HIMSELF at the Disney lot for an exclusive early screening for industry folk? That destroys your weird vendetta against him easily.

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that claiming he "had the scoop on Justice League's running time" isn't accurate if that info was released in a public forum way before he posted about it. I'm not saying that I disrespect the guy, I'm saying that he's most often than not inaccurate about this, and I won't turn this on a "ManaByte's got it wrong" thread, so please let's stop derailing the thread. This is about the info that Collider, an actual credible news source with an arguably good track record is bringing about the film.

Okay, so if we're in agreement that ManaByte has a pretty reliable track record elsewhere, then why are you going to Justice League all the time as a means of discrediting him while simultaneously trying to promote Collider- specifically Frosty, the same guy who used his bigger medium to try and take more focus on the "Jake Gyllenhaal as Batman" scoop from his old co-worker without giving him any credit or reference?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Why on earth are you using the fact someone died on set during filming like this? It's honestly disturbing. She didn't die on set out of sacrifice to ensure the film was good etc. She died because the crew were negligent and put someone that was clearly not trained enough for job into a fatally dangerous stunt.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.